Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Howard has hated getting up that early for at least 10-15 years now and said so openly many times. Anyone who says they enjoy getting up that early is full of poo poo and I mean anyone. Howard's life works because he's a homebody so going to bed at 8 PM is going to bed at 10 PM is going to bed at 6 PM, it's just about shifting his body clock. Everyone else on the show is normal and goes out on a more normal social schedule (8-10 PM to start not Howard's 4-6 PM) so they're just biting on 4-6 hours of sleep constantly and probably hating everything but the paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
It just seems strange to me that Howard's various neuroses have completely convinced him that he absolutely can't have a 'morning show' if it doesn't start at 6 AM.

With the fact that he is hardly live anymore anyways, and that most listening entertainment is on-demand these days, there is absolutely no reason to start the show that early.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This may be 2 of the funniest minutes in show history.

"If you lose, you win. If you don't lose, I get the pussy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DGsv-kJQNs

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

It just seems strange to me that Howard's various neuroses have completely convinced him that he absolutely can't have a 'morning show' if it doesn't start at 6 AM.

With the fact that he is hardly live anymore anyways, and that most listening entertainment is on-demand these days, there is absolutely no reason to start the show that early.

The show has started at 7AM for years now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Some of the best Jokeman laughs, that's for sure.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I miss Rickles. And he hadn't worked in years, that lazy bum!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

He's stuck on the broadcast system instead of realizing he hasn't been really part of it since 2005.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Crotch Bat posted:

I was howling with laughter at my desk. Thank you for this

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Sticking to the "Beetlejuice playing a game" theme, I'll add "The Answer is 5":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0wVVWHvDg

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Former Human posted:

The show has started at 7AM for years now.

I didn't realize that since I haven't listened to a new live show since 2011ish. Good to know, although my point still stands. I mean start the show as late as you want rather than bitching about how early it is.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Did a goon call in on Wednesday? I could have sworn hearing something about, not touching the poo poo. Probably just coincidence.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I don't know what day this was recently but I love it. Gary brings up the Artie chair and you know Shuli was just gritting his teeth trying to spit out his "I've accepted I'm never going to get there" speech. Gary's entirely right, Shuli was just a fan they hired and his drug is getting in the studio. I listened to a show at random from a couple weeks ago and Shuli worms his way in and then tells Howard "this reminds me of when I did ___" to try and get Howard to revisit the topic. He's good for dealing with Wack Packers but that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzRq2k5Mss

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Shuli might be the least funny person on the staff. The only reason he's there is because he works for a pittance.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Shuli sucks.

Someone is dumping like 8 hour long mash ups of Eric & Artie and Stuttering John & Jackie clips on youtube that I've been listening to. When I started listening Jackie was at the very end of his run and I definitely never heard Billy West live on the show and I'm just realizing now how much I missed out. I don't think I've ever laughed harder than listening to Billy West do the Jackie puppet impression.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Shuli might be the least funny person on the staff. The only reason he's there is because he works for a pittance.

Does he still co-host the Jay Thomas show?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like Shuli when he's talking about being the wack pack wrangler and he was pretty funny when he'd recap the problems of the Ronnie Mund Blockparty but man, what a douche. I get reporting on stuff like whatever Bigfoot is up to but you can tell he's stringing Underdog Lady along and then blabbing her secrets on air. That's just a really mean thing to do to an autistic lady who likes making costumes and participating in parades.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm not a big Shuli fan, but you can tell he is important to the staff. He is the "Wack Pack Whisperer" and I think he does write quite a bit. As far as Underdog Lady, I don't think he is stringing her along more than any other wack packer. The best ones don't really understand why they are so interesting (or funny), so I don't think his relationship with her is any worse than anyone else. Hell, he and many others that have worked with the wack pack like 2 Live Jew have come away with funny stories but have said that they end up taking a true liking to the people and consider them friends.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'm not as tuned in but my understanding is that Underdog Lady doesn't want anything to do with the show and she's lonely enough to let Shuli call her. Like I don't think she'd keep talking to him if she knew she was being mocked on the show

The rest of the wack pack wants as much airtime as they can get so they like it when Shuli talks about them.

Correct me if I'm wrong I just think Shuli isn't letting that part on and kind of think he's a dick, and a wackpacker himself, if he's taking advantage of a lonely old autistic lady for airtime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, but where does everyone stand on the baby clothes issue? :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Goodstein's wife is a maniac, and Goodstein should have told her to STFU about her $9.50 worth of garage sale trash but instead he humiliated himself on the air to Shuli, of all people.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

The show starts at 7 now and has for years.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bonzo posted:

Does he still co-host the Jay Thomas show?

Jay Thomas, the one guy more boring and unfunny than Shuli.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

My largest complaint about Shuli is that he's so unabashedly sycophantic that it's just pathetic. He laughs at literally anything and everything that Howard says, but the worst of it was when he did get his time in the Artie chair, during the Hurricane Sandy "who on my staff is dependable?" saga, and Shuli would constantly remind Howard how he was leaving his family behind to be there for the show, but everyone else wasn't or was at least hesitating to do so.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BobbyK posted:

Shuli sucks.

Someone is dumping like 8 hour long mash ups of Eric & Artie and Stuttering John & Jackie clips on youtube that I've been listening to. When I started listening Jackie was at the very end of his run and I definitely never heard Billy West live on the show and I'm just realizing now how much I missed out. I don't think I've ever laughed harder than listening to Billy West do the Jackie puppet impression.

Hell yeah, the Jackie puppet and them goofing on Jackie's songs are the best. I've listened to those huge Jackie Youtubes a bunch now. The KC ones are also great. Serenade.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know what day this was recently but I love it. Gary brings up the Artie chair and you know Shuli was just gritting his teeth trying to spit out his "I've accepted I'm never going to get there" speech. Gary's entirely right, Shuli was just a fan they hired and his drug is getting in the studio. I listened to a show at random from a couple weeks ago and Shuli worms his way in and then tells Howard "this reminds me of when I did ___" to try and get Howard to revisit the topic. He's good for dealing with Wack Packers but that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzRq2k5Mss

This is amazing, and Gary is a treasure.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't know. I hate shuli as much as the next person but Gary getting a big head over the show is pretty insufferable.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Gary v Shuli thing actually extended out for about a full week on the wrap up show and a few more segments on Stern. It sucks that Howard won't let staff visit the wrap up show anymore because it could have been interesting, but it was still the best staff fight of the last couple of years.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Oh I got to the Marge Schott era of Billy West. This hasn't aged well.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BobbyK posted:

I know, I know... and I laughed so hard at it back in the day.

I guess it was all shock value?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BobbyK posted:

It hasn't but Billy just kills it and I can't help but laugh.

I've been listening to the Crimetown podcast http://www.crimetownshow.com/ which is about the mob in Providence, RI and all I can hear is Billy's New England accent.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I still laugh at Billy's Marge Schott. I think the Boston accent keeps it alive for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I think we talked about it before but if you haven't listened to Billy's interview on WTF podcast so grab it. He tells a story about how he and his friends were upset at the quality of cocaine they were getting so they flew to Peru to get better stuff.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Squashy Nipples posted:

I know, I know... and I laughed so hard at it back in the day.

I guess it was all shock value?

It could be that I'm listening to it as a pack so it boils down to like 30 minutes of them screaming the word friend of the family over and over in that screeching impression. Maybe in small chunks back then it was funny or something but oof.

Completely made up for though by the Jackie Puppet, Ive never laughed so hard at the show

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can someone link the best jackie puppet compilation? I have a lot of cleaning to do tonight and that sounds like just what I need.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jackie anything is the best

The jetty is still the highlight of the show.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

beep by grandpa posted:

Can someone link the best jackie puppet compilation? I have a lot of cleaning to do tonight and that sounds like just what I need.

Couldn't find any specific jackie puppet comps, sorry. Here's what I've been listening to though, have fun cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-QaDrK2Cs&t=7086s

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Lifespan posted:

The Gary v Shuli thing actually extended out for about a full week on the wrap up show and a few more segments on Stern. It sucks that Howard won't let staff visit the wrap up show anymore because it could have been interesting, but it was still the best staff fight of the last couple of years.

Shuli and Gary both come off as douches but if you read between the lines it sounds like Gary is more upset that Shuli is creating more work for him, when Gary would rather browse his email and eat black-and-white cookies three days a week than actually behave like a real producer.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Former Human posted:

Shuli and Gary both come off as douches but if you read between the lines it sounds like Gary is more upset that Shuli is creating more work for him, when Gary would rather browse his email and eat black-and-white cookies three days a week than actually behave like a real producer.

Totally disagree. It sounded to me like Shuli wanted in everyday and was pissed when Gary would would hold him back because Shuli is OK in small doses. ...But that is why the show is still so much fun.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Shuli has no ability to edit himself, which should say something already, so he comes up to Gary 10, 20, 30 times a day and pitches something to get on air. Every day. I'm sure he got real old real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I thought they didn't have comedians on anymore