Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wonder if Kevin Murphy still has that banner lying around somewhere. Maybe he can give it to Baron Vaughn as a gift, and nine years later, Baron can give it to someone else, until it is the oldest, grimiest computer print-out in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Anything that isn't the screechy voice Josh used in the first half dozenish KTMA episodes for Servo is unacceptable.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Tom Servo's been stupid ever since he stopped being Beeper.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Clouseau posted:

Anything that isn't the screechy voice Josh used in the first half dozenish KTMA episodes for Servo is unacceptable.

I just saw this recently on the scrapbook tape, and oh God, I'm glad they had the sense to cut that out. It's like a terrible Kermit the Frog impression. Even though Baron doesn't sound particularly Servo-like to me yet, I'm glad he's not trying too hard to do "a voice" and ending up with something like that.

Also I have to say I was just delighted to see Waverly. He has the same homemade charm as Joel's other creations, and I still remember wanting the show to introduce a new bot back when I was a kid. The Nanites don't count.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 8, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bicyclops posted:

I wonder if Kevin Murphy still has that banner lying around somewhere. Maybe he can give it to Baron Vaughn as a gift, and nine years later, Baron can give it to someone else, until it is the oldest, grimiest computer print-out in the universe.

Oh, Kevin definitely still has it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOGaERmY6QM

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I love Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Artsygrrl posted:

I love Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds.

:agreed:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/arts/television/mystery-science-theater-3000-returns.html?_r=0

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

quote:

guest stars will include Jerry Seinfeld, Mark Hamill, Joel McHale and Neil Patrick Harris.

Dayum!

I hope to got they poo poo on Bee Movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dayum!

I hope to got they poo poo on Bee Movie

That movie would actually make decent MST3K fodder to be honest. Come to think of it, have they ever riffed anything animated before besides that one Gumby short?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The celebrity cameos thing adds a whole new layer to it. Seeing Mark Hammill or Jerry Seinfeld talk to the Mads or the Bots has all the goofy charm of Sesame Street.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the Sci Fi era Mads stop by.

Trace has been doing a few interviews lately about "The Mads Are Back" and that none of the interviewers mention the revival makes me feel like he's asked them not to. In a theoretical season 2, I'm really hoping that he and Frank Conniff could warm to the idea. I think it would be cool to have a "Bring your dad to your mad science experiment day" episode. Basically, I really hope this first season is a good enough success in Netflix's eyes that they want to keep going ahead with it, so the new cast can keep developing their chemistry, we can get more cool celebrities stopping by, and maybe, 10 years from now, a Three Doctors style reunion show where Joel and Mike stop by to polish their Joe Don Baker movie departure plaques.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
If Jonah tries to escape after watching a Joe Don Baker movie, let the crate say 'Orbitz' or 'Zima' instead of 'hamdingers.'

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's kind of amazing how much I still have never seen of MST3K, due to an episodes movie not catching my attention.

I guess I should binge all the host only season comps on YouTube today.

https://youtu.be/-GWGouymBxk

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Okay folks, it's less than six hours until :siren:MOVIE SIGN:siren: for the kickstarter backers, but there's still another week until it goes up on Netflix for everyone else. I quote from the TVIV Rules:

OldSenileGuy posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Since tomorrow's backer-only early preview of the pilot is indeed a preview, I think this thread is going to get a lot of use out of the spoiler tags for the next week...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Since I only have a few more hours to feel smug about having seen this episode already, I'll just give one last tease: I really can't wait to see the first host segment after the movie starts again.

I'll warn real quick though that the opening host segment is exposition-heavy, and in my opinion a little rough, but hang in there. Once they get into the theater for the first time it's smooth sailing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it longer or shorter than the first Scifi channel opening

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

About the same, I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll be fine.

That one is kind of enjoyable just for how absurd it is. Just, yeah, this is STILL going on.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So wait, are you guys getting ALL the episodes or just episode 1?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just S11E01.

Also, as a heads up, I'm posting the Saturday Simul-watch thread this Monday, before the rest of Season 11 is given early to backers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

So wait, are you guys getting ALL the episodes or just episode 1?

At 12am Pacific episode 1 will be made available for all backers who went for at least that level. It will only be available for 24 hours and tomorrow afternoon there is going to be a scheduled simul-watch where afterwards there will be a special chat room in which Jonah and Joel will answer questions.

On Thursday anyone who backed at the level where they get a digital download of the season will have all episodes made available.

Edit: Minor correction, on Tuesday they get access to stream the season but on Thursday they get to download it.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 9, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

At 12am Pacific episode 1 will be made available for all backers who went for at least that level. It will only be available for 24 hours and tomorrow afternoon there is going to be a scheduled simul-watch where afterwards there will be a special chat room in which Jonah and Joel will answer questions.

On Thursday anyone who backed at the level where they get a digital download of the season will have all episodes made available.

Edit: Minor correction, on Tuesday they get access to stream the season but on Thursday they get to download it.

Well poo poo I had no idea about the streaming on Tuesday. gently caress yeah.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm rewatching a few eps since it'll have to tide me over until the new stuff is on Netflix. Right now, it's Bloodlust.

I feel like I remember the Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm more than the actual movie even though it's basically The Most Dangerous Game 2: Electric Teenagers(?) Boogaloo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just to clarify, you can start the stream at any time tomorrow right? It's not just a scheduled simulwatch?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just to clarify, you can start the stream at any time tomorrow right? It's not just a scheduled simulwatch?

Correct. You can start watching in just over an hour.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Correct. You can start watching in just over an hour.

Hype time 55 minutes away.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Guys. Guys.

I am watching the first new episode of MST3k in over 15 years right now!

:dance:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm loving the new tunnel sequence. :stwoon:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Alehkhs posted:

I'm loving the new tunnel sequence. :stwoon:

Agreed, 100%

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I HATE MST3K'S NEW THEME SONG

The riffs are pretty solid so far though, so who cares.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THE NEW CREDITS (or the 11-01 version of them). I'M SO HAPPY!!!!! :supaburn:

I'm holding off on the movie until I wake up, I want to treat this right.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Worth it.

Edit: Leaving 26:05 here so I can come back to it later.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 9, 2017

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Edit:^^Best $25 USD I ever spent.

Oh my god that was beautiful. I've had a really really lovely week, so to have this...I'm honestly drat near crying with joy right now.

Is it perfect? Well, no, Servo and Gypsy are a little distracting during the film when they start flying around, but it's just so wonderful to see this back that I'm giving that a pass. I'm sure I'll acclimate to it.

(Seriously though, what the hell was Gypsy doing in the theater? I saw she dropped something off, then picked it up again towards the end, I just didn't get what she was doing?)

edit2: Is the opening segment with Wil Wheaton going to be in every episode, or just this one? Either way, I am down for it.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 9, 2017

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
A really, really good episode. If you've had concerns that they weren't going to do the series justice; you can put those worries to rest. It really feels like it captures the kitsch of the original with a more modern feel; and the riffs and host segments are solid.

My only real complaint is that it just doesn't feel right with Servo flying around the theater and Gypsy showing up twice for some joke I obviously missed. I hope they don't overuse those gimmicks in future episodes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It was honestly better than I even remembered from the screening. I'm so glad this is back.

I can't believe I have to wait two days now to see the next one. Nobody's ever had to wait that long for new MST3K!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So like... do I need to give VHX.tv my credit card information in order to view this stuff? Because it says I have access to it but it also wants my credit card and given that the button says "BUY NOW $999,999.00" I'm kind of hesitant. Is there something dumb here I'm missing with this podunk video source?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Nessus posted:

So like... do I need to give VHX.tv my credit card information in order to view this stuff? Because it says I have access to it but it also wants my credit card and given that the button says "BUY NOW $999,999.00" I'm kind of hesitant. Is there something dumb here I'm missing with this podunk video source?

You might be on the wrong one. Make sure you click on the one for your rewards tier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh I'd put in my code for the ten free episodes, the ones for this stuff were elsewhere. Big joke on ol' Nessus alright, scrolling down is the new "reading the instructions."

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I've finished watching it and that was real good. It definitely captures the spirit of the show well, and I had fun watching it. Nthing the opinion that Tom Servo and Gypsy can be a little distracting with their extra movie theater mobility though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Man the Every Country Has a Monster rap was so good.