Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jiro posted:

Also in today's Texas House does something potentially good

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/06/amid-clash-over-procedure-texas-house-moves-defund-enterprise-fund/

The fact that this amendment was put and passed through by someone from my home area of the Rio Grande Valley and somewhere as small and isolated as Mission/Palmview makes me so happy. Even more so that it has Stickland throwing a poo poo fit.

RGV represent! Also worth noting that while Stickland was going on a tirade members started filing out to go watch The Masters.

I'm still laughing about this. I love stories of any member of the leg messing with Stickland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So it turns out the amendment to cut all road funding in Stickland's district was attached to his feral hog amendment, meaning it didn't actually happen (because Stickland's amendment didn't pass). Not as funny imo.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/850339892458639362

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

This is frankly adorable.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Badger of Basra posted:

So it turns out the amendment to cut all road funding in Stickland's district was attached to his feral hog amendment, meaning it didn't actually happen (because Stickland's amendment didn't pass). Not as funny imo.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/850339892458639362

No, you're wrong. It's just as funny.
Not as good, but just as funny.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"It's funny until it happens to you"

Well, maybe you shouldn't try to cut vital environmental programs, then it won't happen to you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Keeshhound posted:

"It's funny until it happens to you"

Well, maybe you shouldn't try to cut vital environmental programs, then it won't happen to you.

Piggies are part of the environment. If they run rampant and eat everyone, doesn't that make him the GREENEST Texan legislator?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/850495122483666944

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/850518056434532352

Ah I'm afraid Beto is now officially a paid shill establishment sellout and when he loses it will def be because he didn't hug Bernie close enough.

e:

someone needs to delete this person's twitter account

https://twitter.com/unapobrecita/status/850525624326344708

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Any person who cares about the last Democrat Primary in regards to a race to unseat Ted Cruz is ridiculous.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"you know the only nationally liked Democrat? yeah i dont care about them."

-a dude who we wont even remember the name of come election time

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I've been getting fun emails from Castro's campaign. About how we should donate before the filling deadline to help convince him to run against Cruz.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/850495122483666944

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/850518056434532352

Ah I'm afraid Beto is now officially a paid shill establishment sellout and when he loses it will def be because he didn't hug Bernie close enough.

e:

someone needs to delete this person's twitter account

https://twitter.com/unapobrecita/status/850525624326344708

bernie has a beto piss tape

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

bernie has a beto piss tape

Please

The term is "pee tape."

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Almost nothing surprises me anymore, but this actually did surprise me.

"Texas House Votes to Cut $20 Million from Air Quality Budget to Fund Anti-Abortion Program"

http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...bortion-program

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

duz posted:

I've been getting fun emails from Castro's campaign. About how we should donate before the filling deadline to help convince him to run against Cruz.

See, I broadly like all four both Castros, but this sort of thing isn't helping me sustain that.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Federal Judge Says Texas Voter ID Law Intentionally Discriminates

quote:

HOUSTON — A federal judge ruled on Monday that the voter identification law the Texas Legislature passed in 2011 was enacted with the intent to discriminate against black and Hispanic voters, raising the possibility that the state’s election procedures could be put back under federal oversight.

In a long-running case over the legality of one of the toughest voter ID laws in the country, the judge found that the law violated the federal Voting Rights Act.

The judge, Nelva Gonzales Ramos of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, had made a similar ruling in 2014, but after Texas appealed her decision, a federal appellate court instructed her to review the issue once more.

The appeals court — the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, in New Orleans — found that Judge Ramos had relied too heavily on Texas’ history of discriminatory voting measures and other evidence it labeled “infirm” and asked her to reweigh the question of discriminatory intent.

In her ruling on Monday, Judge Ramos wrote that the evidence cited by the Fifth Circuit “did not tip the scales” in favor of the state.

Her ruling sets the stage for a potential penalty for Texas that could have a long-lasting impact. Lawyers involved in the case said the ruling effectively strikes down the law, although the judge did not issue a separate order doing so. Texas officials are likely to appeal the decision.

“We’re disappointed and will seek review of this ruling at the appropriate time,” said Marc Rylander, a spokesman for the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton.

Some expected the ruling.

“This is an exciting ruling, but it is no surprise,” said Myrna Perez, a deputy director of the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School, which represented two of the groups that sued the state, the Texas N.A.A.C.P. and the Mexican-American Legislative Caucus.

“Texas passed the most restrictive photo ID law in the country — a law the legislators knew would hurt minority voting rights, without any evidence justifying it, and they broke all sorts of legislative rules and norms to do it,” Ms. Perez said.

Judge Ramos acknowledged the difficulty of pinning down the Legislature’s motives. She wrote of considering “all available direct and circumstantial evidence of intent” rather than trying to “discern the motivations of particular legislators.” The judge highlighted attempts by Democrats to blunt the racial impact of the law, known as Senate Bill 14, through amendments that were ultimately rejected, including allowing additional types of photo identification. “Many categories of acceptable photo IDs permitted by other states were omitted from the Texas bill,” she wrote.

Kristen Clarke, the president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, which represented some of the plaintiffs, said the ruling on Monday marked the fifth time that a court found that the law had a discriminatory purpose or effect.

Judge Ramos’s decision, she said, “should sound the death knell for burdensome voter ID requirements in Texas and across the country.”

For decades, Texas and several other mostly Southern states with a history of discrimination had been required to seek federal approval before making changes to their voting laws. But the states were freed from that requirement in 2013, after a Supreme Court decision that invalidated key provisions of the Voting Rights Act.

The finding of intentional discrimination could once again put Texas under federal supervision. It would be the first state brought back into so-called preclearance since the Supreme Court’s 2013 ruling. Judge Ramos did not address whether she would order Texas to undergo federal oversight, but will examine the issue during the next stage of the case.

The law was passed by the Legislature and signed by then-Gov. Rick Perry in 2011, but took effect in 2013. It required voters to show a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued photo ID before casting a ballot. It was previously found by the appellate court to have a discriminatory effect on black and Hispanic voters, many of whom lacked government-issued photo identification, and as a result was softened for the November 2016 election.

Numerous Democratic lawmakers, voters, civil rights organizations and black and Hispanic groups sued, arguing that Republican legislators steamrollered the bill through the State House and Senate. They said legislators departed from procedural norms in passing the law, including classifying it as emergency legislation, cutting debate short and bypassing the ordinary committee process in both chambers.

The plaintiffs told Judge Ramos in court documents and at various hearings that the law’s true purpose was to help Republicans maintain their hold on power amid the fast-paced growth of Democratic-leaning black and Hispanic voters.

Republican officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, who defended the law in court when he served as the state’s attorney general, have long disputed any suggestion that lawmakers intentionally discriminated.

They said that the law was aimed at preventing voter fraud and that the departures from the normal legislative process were made to prevent Democratic lawmakers from manipulating procedural rules to thwart passage. They maintained that opponents had turned up no evidence that any legislator had intended to discriminate against blacks and Hispanics.

Under the Obama administration, the Justice Department had joined the legal fight against Texas. But in a reversal that angered civil rights lawyers and Texas Democrats, the Trump administration’s Justice Department withdrew from the part of the case that Judge Ramos decided on Monday: the agency’s claim that Texas had enacted the law with discriminatory intent.

Samuel Bagenstos, a law professor at the University of Michigan and a principal deputy assistant attorney general for civil rights in President Barack Obama’s Justice Department, noted the timing of the ruling.

“I think it’s a very significant ruling in part because the Department of Justice under the Trump administration decided to abandon arguing for a discriminatory-intent holding,” Professor Bagenstos said. “This sort of makes the Department of Justice look bad for abandoning its previous position.”

The ruling marked the third time this year that a federal court found, in separate cases, that Texas or one of its municipalities intentionally discriminated against minority voters.

A judge ruled that officials in Pasadena, Tex., intentionally discriminated against Latino voters in redrawing the city electoral map. And a panel of judges in San Antonio ruled that the Legislature drew congressional districts in an intentionally discriminatory manner. The Republican lawmakers who passed the voter ID bill in 2011 also drew the discriminatory Congressional-district maps.

“The State of Texas must turn away from this pattern of discriminatory behavior,” said Janai Nelson, a lawyer with the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, which represented an African-American voter affected by the voter ID law.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Anyone go over to the cove to see what he had to say? I skipped and went to my usual spot at the bridge, where there a couple guys complaining the cove was packed and they didn't know why.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Caveat: it's a poll of all adults rather than registered voters, and the result is Castro 35 to Cruz 31. All the rest are undecided.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

gently caress Ted Cruz

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The race for Denton City Council District 4 is getting heated y'all. A shadowy group calling itself "Denton Deserves Better" supporting candidate John Ryan, opposing candidate Amanda Servis, just dropped the oppo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHhbnfVucrE

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
I mean, the problem is that they're showing that she has a personality, and her opponent is a human-shaped glass of milk.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna vote for her.

She's gonna lose though

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's this guy so surprised about?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

What's this guy so surprised about?
He owns a liquor store lol

So yeah it's like, c'mon dude.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The race for Denton City Council District 4 is getting heated y'all. A shadowy group calling itself "Denton Deserves Better" supporting candidate John Ryan, opposing candidate Amanda Servis, just dropped the oppo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHhbnfVucrE

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Real Rad Records LLC."
lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Question regarding Lege procedure:

Both the House and Senate have to author a bill and run it through the full committee process, correct? So if a Senate bill has passed that chamber but the House version was left pending in committee with (as yet) not even a committee report that's probably an indication that it isn't exactly highly likely to be a priority or get passed?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

Question regarding Lege procedure:

Both the House and Senate have to author a bill and run it through the full committee process, correct? So if a Senate bill has passed that chamber but the House version was left pending in committee with (as yet) not even a committee report that's probably an indication that it isn't exactly highly likely to be a priority or get passed?

While a bill does have to pass both the House and Senate to reach the Governor's desk, only one version of the bill needs to if the bill has a companion. The HB may be pending in committee because the SB is the one moving through the process for instance.

edit: To clarify more, the SB that passed the Senate chamber will need to be referred to House committee, be voted out of House committee, and then pass in the House to be sent to the Gov. The companion HB can be left in committee with no detriment to the SB's passage.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 27, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/857633086976270336

Mmhmm yes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I...I don't know how to respond to this.

:allbuttons:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Those responses are so dumb and ill formed I'd have thought they came from high school students who haven't even taken their government class yet.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Poor kids living in a bubble. Time to make a donation to their young democrats club, if one exists.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

quote:

"I feel like Trump is spending a lot of time on defense and playing damage control and there aren't enough people giving him the benefit of the doubt," he said. "He's going to be president until 2020, so it's going to take some people sitting down and saying, 'OK, we need to work with this man to advance America's best interests because this is what we have right now.'"

Yes, just shut up and accept the racist, classist, climate denying, warmongering stupidity. These kids aren't ready for real civics yet - they still need to watch The West Wing.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Poor kids living in a bubble. Time to make a donation to their young democrats club, if one exists.

This school did a affirmative action bake sale back in 2000 when​ I went to school there. Not really surprising to read this article. If I was smarter I would have chosen a school not filled with these types of dumbasses and gone to school in a real city like UT, hell UH would have been better

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This school did a affirmative action bake sale back in 2000 when​ I went to school there. Not really surprising to read this article. If I was smarter I would have chosen a school not filled with these types of dumbasses and gone to school in a real city like UT, hell UH would have been better

I think the UT conservatives invented the affirmative action bake sale. I forget what their group is called. It's not the college Republicans.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Young conservatives

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yep, I remember (was there too).

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Young conservatives

YCT, the biggest bunch of bowtie wearing dickheads west of the Mississippi.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

They like the policies, they just don't want any of it trickling down, out of their trust fund

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's not like UT doesn't have dumbasses also or did you forget about when black students were getting bleach bombed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dameius posted:

Those responses are so dumb and ill formed I'd have thought they came from high school students who haven't even taken their government class yet.

Well they are Aggies.

I feel like I haven't heard an Aggie joke in a really long time. Did they die out or do I just not hang out with people who tell Aggie jokes?