Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Thus, Quarkjets is clearly a secret lizardperson who is communicating to fellow lizardpeople about some horrifyingly deviant gathering wherein obscene things beyond the ken of normal men are happening.

Thanks for reminding me about this! I had tried to put together a gay abortion for that evening but the eldritch being I was going to invoke flaked on me. So feel free to bump my "maybe" up to a "yes"!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SatansOnion posted:

Thanks for reminding me about this! I had tried to put together a gay abortion for that evening but the eldritch being I was going to invoke flaked on me. So feel free to bump my "maybe" up to a "yes"!

Ah, yeah, I've had that too. The trick is to order your candles for the invocation directly from Planned Parenthood. Only the highest quality!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm friends with a guy that makes pizza for a living, am I suppost to be loving kids?

He talks about Katy Perry a lot, what's that mean?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

504 posted:

I'm friends with a guy that makes pizza for a living, am I suppost to be loving kids?

He talks about Katy Perry a lot, what's that mean?
The Katy Perry episode of Sesame Street is notable for having the only segment a non-pedophile could masturbate to, so I think he's sending you a message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlBuur3DJE4

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

For some reason Quora has started showing me flat earth topics. I had assumed the flat earth society were mostly joking, but nooooope they are genuinely convinced. To quote a representative argument from something I couldn't resist poking at:

quote:

Have you seen the scientific experiment as you mentioned about ‘water is always pulled towards the centre of gravity’?

Why do you need huge large volume of water n ocean if the scientist have failed to reveal their theoritical science

And yes, I guess I should stop posting on Quora.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
loving flat earthers. You know how some goon came up with slenderman as a dumb comedy scare and a decade later teenage girls are sacrificing children to him? I'm pretty sure the popularization of FE is driven by the same innate drive towards utter idiocy that humankind possesses that counterbalances all the cool poo poo we do.

A Flat Earther posted:

You may have to go deeper within, pharmhuasca or ayahuasca is my recommendation but it definitely may depersonalize you hard at first. Monitor your thoughts constantly you have to be aware of the little self versus the greater self. The little self may have the thought but the greater self watched the thought arise. Get more into your greater self. Raise your awareness consciousness daily. Do a water fast or juice fast. Sun gaze at sunset and sunrise. I have looked directly into the sun for 15 minutes straight and my vision is better than 20/20. Speak your intentions into the sun. My only intention that I speak is for more people to wake up to the major deception and for the exposure of the evil individuals. The major deception is that we live on a ball hurtling through space and are insignificant. The reality that I have (and countless others) found is that we live on a flat earth and there is a dome above us. I have scientifically with a telescope and a 10 mile laser proven that water does not bend EVER. The sun moon and stars circle US every night. We are EXTREMELY significant. After starting to speak my intent into the sun Kyrie Irving and now Shaq have admitted to flat earth publicly. My goal is to end this and all useless governments run by satanists. Your mileage may vary.

It's nice to see a post at the top of /r/conspiracy that isn't full retard for once, even if the comments are and the OP is a little: Which Conspiracies are True and Which Aren't?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I always thought most Flat Earthers were making some kind of ironic philosophical point about epistemology, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

e:

It looks like Guy Fieri is in on pizzagate. Of course.

http://www.avclub.com/article/pizzagate-conspiracy-theorists-question-how-no-one-253304

quote:

“Guy Fieri is an Illuminati Kodiak king who has an immortal wife who lives inside Kim Kardashian.”

Sounds legit.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 6, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dwarf74 posted:

I always thought most Flat Earthers were making some kind of ironic philosophical point about epistemology, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

There were plenty of those sure. But they get followed by idiots who think that flat earth is straight up true. Because if you say any dumb bullshit long enough, someone will see it and think a) you're serious b) you're telling the truth.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

fishmech posted:

There were plenty of those sure. But they get followed by idiots who think that flat earth is straight up true. Because if you say any dumb bullshit long enough, someone will see it and think a) you're serious b) you're telling the truth.

See also: right wing propaganda.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Yeah I'm surprised none of these kooks have latched on to Dark Sucker physics instead.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The Sausages posted:

Yeah I'm surprised none of these kooks have latched on to [url=https://astro.uni-bonn.de/~dfischer/dark_sucker_2.html]Dark Sucker physics.[url]

Be sure to preview your posts so they aren't this.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

e:

http://www.avclub.com/article/pizzagate-conspiracy-theorists-question-how-no-one-253304

Sounds legit.

Guy Fieri is obviously under illuminati control. You can see it in his sad cold dead eyes. Why else would he eat all that garbage? He's killing himself in the only way ((they)) will allow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So today an apparent terror attack took place in Stockholm, Sweden.

Some time ago Trump made reference to a unspecified attack in Sweden.

I feel like there's some conspiracy theory in the making somewhere.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Two days ago I ran into a guy (online) who believed the London attack was fake because the only photos of the victims were by "tools of the establishment" and there was a Freemason logo on the chopper (indeed there was - they sponsor the ambulance choppers). I assume he believes the timing of this indicates a propaganda push.

(Of course, he was also american, a 9/11 truther, and a sandy hook truther. Sigh.)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I now love Katy Perry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of my buds at work believes in the illuminati and poo poo and i try to get him out of the loony bin by going what about that political party in this country conspiring to make people dumber and act against their own interests in order to retain power and subjugate all classes of people apart from the party's own? why come up with some imaginary evil force when you already got one operating in the open??

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's also the point that, if the affairs of the world are actually being co-ordinated by a shadowy cabal, then they are doing an absolutely poo poo job. I mean the sort of poo poo job where consulting a magic 8 ball rather than some kind of long term blueprint would be more effective.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
they are omniscient and incompetent

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My roommate went on a Tinder date tonight with a guy who turned out to be a 9/11 truther who thinks LBJ had JFK killed because he was going to reveal the existence of aliens.

Apparently he wasn't even sure why Bush would do 9/11, so not even that good a truther. I thought it was basically truther canon that it was to start the Iraq War (by, of course, framing nineteen men who weren't Iraqi).

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Lord Hydronium posted:

My roommate went on a Tinder date tonight with a guy who turned out to be a 9/11 truther who thinks LBJ had JFK killed because he was going to reveal the existence of aliens.

Apparently he wasn't even sure why Bush would do 9/11, so not even that good a truther. I thought it was basically truther canon that it was to start the Iraq War (by, of course, framing nineteen men who weren't Iraqi).

What an idiot, there's no way LBJ would be briefed on the ET Special Access Program. :tinfoil:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Uhh, LBJ used to host aliens at his Texas Ranch and try to scare them by driving his amphibious car into the lake and showing them his penis.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Uhh, LBJ used to host aliens at his Texas Ranch and try to scare them by driving his amphibious car into the lake and showing them his penis.

We haven't been invaded from space, so clearly it worked :newt:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mecha Gojira posted:

I thought that was Ted Kennedy?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Mecha Gojira posted:

Sure but those were the benevolent nordic space brothers, not the grays who formed a secret alliance with earth governments to create human/alien hybrids.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I enjoy what this thread has become.

dwarf74 posted:

Sounds legit.

When Guy Fieri came home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IljTDzO_X8E

Helen Highwater posted:

There's also the point that, if the affairs of the world are actually being co-ordinated by a shadowy cabal, then they are doing an absolutely poo poo job. I mean the sort of poo poo job where consulting a magic 8 ball rather than some kind of long term blueprint would be more effective.

Alan Moore once said

quote:

The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.

and that's always stuck with me.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Alan Moore once said

and that's always stuck with me.

When Alan 'Chaos Magician Who Worships A Roman Snake God' Moore is the most sensible person in the room, then maybe it's time to step back and re-evaluate your life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Helen Highwater posted:

When Alan 'Chaos Magician Who Worships A Roman Snake God' Moore is the most sensible person in the room, then maybe it's time to step back and re-evaluate your life.

South American I think, also there's a distinct possibility that the god wasn't actually worshipped and was basically just their way of trolling people

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

South American I think, also there's a distinct possibility that the god wasn't actually worshipped and was basically just their way of trolling people

Apparently it was originally Ancient Greek.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I thought that was Ted Kennedy?

yeah except Ted's car didn't work

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
e, dp

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Sir Tonk posted:

yeah except Ted's car didn't work

:wow:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This. Not saying Moore isn't crazy or anything, but it's pretty non-controversial stuff for hermetic magicians.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This whole administration is a mess. I get reusing crisis actors, there are only so many people you can trust. But reusing crisis actors and the location? How dumb do they think we are?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Anyone have any luck working with the anti-vaxx crowd? I know they are notoriously dumb and unable to turn but are there any exceptionally good/convincing articles or studies I can link to?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Anyone have any luck working with the anti-vaxx crowd? I know they are notoriously dumb and unable to turn but are there any exceptionally good/convincing articles or studies I can link to?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. You can point out how Wakefield intentionally falsified data, how his license to practice medicine was revoked, and how his strategy was to prove that the MMR vaccine was unsafe so that he could sell his own competing vaccine instead, but absolutely none of that matters to them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Avian Pneumonia posted:

They have a shield. Any information that opposes their belief is by definition fraudulent. The CDC releases some massive new study? They're in the pocket of big pharma. Independent studies all over the world? Big pharma big pharma big pharma. Big pharma is essentially omniscient.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I wonder how much crisis acting pays, it's gotta be a decent amount.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Be mindful of the timeframe of any graphs/trends they show or discuss. For obvious reasons, the Great Depression and WWII caused a spike in illnesses. That can make it look like the disease rate was dropping dramatically before vaccines were introduced (hygiene is usually the stated reason) and can even make the actual treatment of vaccines look just like part of a trend line.

It won't convince them but it will help convince other people listening.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. You can point out how Wakefield intentionally falsified data, how his license to practice medicine was revoked, and how his strategy was to prove that the MMR vaccine was unsafe so that he could sell his own competing vaccine instead, but absolutely none of that matters to them.

There are a lot of data that pretty much prove that when a person with a mistaken belief is confronted with correct factual information that contradicts the mistaken belief, the person will believe the lie even more strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jack Gladney posted:

There are a lot of data that pretty much prove that when a person with a mistaken belief is confronted with correct factual information that contradicts the mistaken belief, the person will believe the lie even more strongly.

I don't believe you. Let's see your data

• Locked thread