Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

What are the good theme decks to spring for at the minute? I can't find Dark Hammer in the store now so was wondering if anyone had recommendations or just go for the one with the best trainers or pick 2 of the same type and mash them together.
Are you looking for a theme deck to play theme challenges and theme tournaments or a theme deck to use as a base for a real deck?

For the first any of the sun and moon decks aren't bad (I think the fire is the best). For the latter the greninja or Volcanion decks are good - combine greninja with greninja break when you get it Or Volcanion with Volcanion Ex (the promo version of Volcanion Ex is pretty cheap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fritzler posted:

Are you looking for a theme deck to play theme challenges and theme tournaments or a theme deck to use as a base for a real deck?

For the first any of the sun and moon decks aren't bad (I think the fire is the best). For the latter the greninja or Volcanion decks are good - combine greninja with greninja break when you get it Or Volcanion with Volcanion Ex (the promo version of Volcanion Ex is pretty cheap).

Thanks! I haven't decided which i'm going to go for yet to be honest, so thanks for covering both.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh dear

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-card-game-players-say-they-can-tell-rare-cards-1792405769

Wonder if anyone has gone through the randomisation algorithm for the Online version to find similar patterns?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh dear

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-card-game-players-say-they-can-tell-rare-cards-1792405769

Wonder if anyone has gone through the randomisation algorithm for the Online version to find similar patterns?

It's not like you can choose a booster pack out of a box online.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
True, I meant more that it could be possible to predict a pattern, but I don't know how you'd exploit it given how you receive packs in the game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh dear

I would be incredibly, mind blowingly surprised if they used in paper print runs and distribution to model online booster packs.

Seriously, it'd be so much work to get it to follow the print hopper patterns.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I'm very new to this game. It seems like a lot of decks is just a race to power up your ex's and crush. I noticed I have one or two cards that allow me to take no damage from ex's. is there a list somewhere of all of them?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Robokomodo posted:

I'm very new to this game. It seems like a lot of decks is just a race to power up your ex's and crush. I noticed I have one or two cards that allow me to take no damage from ex's. is there a list somewhere of all of them?

Personally I like the carbink/garchomp deck but machamp EX is also good with carbink. Special fight energy paired with fighting fury belts and power bands does work. Carbink is a basic poke that takes no dmg from EX pokes and garchomp is a stage 2 but depending on how much you like gabite and living dangerously you could swap in 4 rare candy for 4 gabites. I think both builds have their pros and cons, consistency vs taking extra turns because fighting pokemon dont get a forest of giant plants.

Also does anyone have a list for the extended version of the Espeon/umbreon deck? I broke down and bought my second Shaymin-EX and a Jirachi-EX along with some trevenants to finish Trev Break and scooped up some super cheap Esp/Umbreons because I have had such a bad time playing against it I want in now. This will bring my extended deck count to 4! Greninja Break, M Audino EX, Trevenant Break and whatever Evee nonsense I get together.

Also if anyone is looking for cards, especially staple trainers like Vs seeker, Poke balls, battle compressors, N, sycamore etc I am chock full of them and need sun and moon packs if anyone is trying to make decks because I know how annoying it is to look in trade for staple cards and see only awful gouging offers for basic cards. IGN is Nosferatusoon if you want to check out my binder. I'll prob read this thread before I get curious enough to accept random friend req's so a pm or a name drop here helps but ymmv

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2017

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey Pokemon TCG thread. I have a friend with some old Pokemon cards who'd like to know if they have any value. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon, from the earliest days of the TCG, I think. Might those be worth anything and if so where does one get a handle on these things?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey Pokemon TCG thread. I have a friend with some old Pokemon cards who'd like to know if they have any value. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon, from the earliest days of the TCG, I think. Might those be worth anything and if so where does one get a handle on these things?
To the right person, in the right condition, it would be worth more than your average cards. My suggestion is checking TCGPlayer as a point of reference, to see for what prices competing vendors are selling older cards, in ≥ Very Good condition.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lorak posted:

To the right person, in the right condition, it would be worth more than your average cards. My suggestion is checking TCGPlayer as a point of reference, to see for what prices competing vendors are selling older cards, in ≥ Very Good condition.
As a general rule of thumb, there are a few ways to have old Pokemon cards be valuable.

1. Nostalgia in presentation: A binder that's got a full Red/Blue Pokedex, another with the full Gold/Silver, etc, etc
2. Cards that were valuable back in the day that a collector wants. For example, the Ancient Mew movie promo card is worth about $10 these days, while a Charizard can go for almost $100.
3. Be one of those lucky fuckers with a mint-condition 1st Edition Charizard, which can easily sell for two grand.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, thanks guys. I feel miffed now because I personally had a foil 1st Edition Charizard...or at least I'm pretty sure it was 1st Edition...and I sold it over a decade ago for $100. Nuts. My friend has a bunch of stuff, with many foils, but nothing like a full Dex, so we'll see what it's worth.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Robokomodo posted:

You may be interested in Alolan Ninetails which is coming out in the new Sun & Moon set: Guardians Rising on May 4th. I'm definitely interested in him!

I used to play a lot of Zygarde-Ex/Carbink BREAK, but sadly it isn't as good since the introduction of GX pokemon.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yea, a water deck is going to be even better with that ninetails and regice if you want to counter ex's.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

How much of this list can he fulfill? I haven't double checked the values on that sheet for ~a year so...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can I play as Imakuni? in this game or what.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Bogart posted:

Can I play as Imakuni? in this game or what.
No, but you can play the card Imakuni? in this game. It's been made into a Supporter, in the Generations set, and still confuses your Active Pokemon, but now also eats up your one Supporter for the turn.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm helping my friend's kids build decks and what's a good amount of basic/evolutions/energy as a baseline? I'm guessing 10/8/15 as a general guideline, but I haven't played in forever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I'm helping my friend's kids build decks and what's a good amount of basic/evolutions/energy as a baseline? I'm guessing 10/8/15 as a general guideline, but I haven't played in forever.
Sounds about right. You want about half the deck to be Trainers, probably a little more.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Sounds about right. You want about half the deck to be Trainers, probably a little more.
Which would be a suggestion I would stand by, were it not for the new Garbodor, which makes the thread title more apt. 20 damage for each Item in your opponent's discard pile, when used against you, is enough to give pause as to how the new philosophy of deck-building might go.

EDIT: Changed Trainer to Item, as per what the card actually does.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 11, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lorak posted:

Which would be a suggestion I would stand by, were it not for the new Garbodor, which makes the thread title more apt. 20 damage for each Trainer in your opponent's discard pile, when used against you, is enough to give pause as to how the new philosophy of deck-building might go.

Looked it up cuz my eyes kinda bugged out at that.

20 damage per ITEM. Still a huge hit obviously for a single energy investment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Not something they really have to worry about if they only play each other, though.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Sorry; was getting things crossed between that and the Trevenant that hits for 30 damage for each Trainer in your hand.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Do we have a non online thread somewhere? I got lucky enough in my minimal sun and moon / guardians rising physical purchases to have the majority of a good Garbodor deck already and am thinking about starting to play in person.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

There's not enough players I think. If you're in the Delmarva area, I'll play you with my Expanded format Rayquaza deck but that's about it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Moriatti posted:

There's not enough players I think. If you're in the Delmarva area, I'll play you with my Expanded format Rayquaza deck but that's about it.

Nah, I'm down in Atlanta and there is a robust scene around here.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Greninja is good again. Greninja Break has shot up in value and will likely continue to increase.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wisdomHNOX posted:

Greninja is good again. Greninja Break has shot up in value and will likely continue to increase.
What changed?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

What changed?
While I can't say I know, Shadow Stitching seems useful in a format where Tapu Lele GX is a thing, as Giant Water Shuriken is against low HP Basic Pokemon.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

What changed?

Shadow stitching is more relevant, and choice band let's it hit the number it needs to. It can do up to 230 damage a turn if things line up right (2x Giant Shuriken, and Moonlight slash with a voice band is 60+60+60+30+20). This let's it OHKO all of the Stage 1 GX's running around, and with Field Blower, Fury Belted basics aren't as safe.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Other reason: with Tapu Lele, you can run Froakie/Lele as your basics. Use Lele to search for Wally and Turn 1 Frog duplicates if you go second.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Will that be fast enough to our run decicueye/vileplume though? The new lurantis promo is going to make grass a bit better outside of decidueye as well.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Elblanco posted:

Will that be fast enough to our run decicueye/vileplume though? The new lurantis promo is going to make grass a bit better outside of decidueye as well.

Still pretty much an auto loss to Deci-Plume. Really solid matchups against everything else. I can count on one hand the number of Grass decks I have run into in the last 3-4 days though. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or if it's just not as popular online as it is in the physical card game.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

wisdomHNOX posted:

Still pretty much an auto loss to Deci-Plume. Really solid matchups against everything else. I can count on one hand the number of Grass decks I have run into in the last 3-4 days though. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or if it's just not as popular online as it is in the physical card game.

I'm just so happy my deck is back! Im going to see if I can spec on some g breaks tonight bc im awful. Hello ladder my old friend!

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
This thread seems a bit dead but hopefully someone can give me some advice.

My son and I are getting into the Pokemon TCG (physical) through theme decks mostly but thanks to getting the TCGO codes with the decks we are playing online a bit too. I'd like to expand our online collection a bit since it seems pretty inexpensive to do so and was wondering on the best way to do that beyond earning packs through play. There seems to be some pretty reputable sellers on ebay that sell codes at around 20-30 cents per code depending on the amount you buy and the set. ptcgo.com seems to be another option at around 40 cents per code. Any other options?

What about sets? Sun and Moon is a no brainer but what sets in XY are worth picking up to get useful cards? I was thinking of going no further back than BREAKthrough since everything before is likely to rotate in 2018 (my speculation).

Thanks for the help.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Buying codes is perfect. You can even buy them from online stores like troll and toad dot com. The best sets to grab right now would be sun and moon and guardians rising. Guardians is one of the best sets on a long long time. Otherwise I'd grab roaring skies since it has shaymin ex, and that's worth a good amount for trading online. Any other packs would depend on which format you want to play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, pack codes are dirt cheap and a great way to get into PTCGO.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

You are also right to have Breakthrough as your limit for how far back you buy, as that is probably the oldest set to survive the upcoming rotation of standard.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Rhaegar posted:

This thread seems a bit dead but hopefully someone can give me some advice.

My son and I are getting into the Pokemon TCG (physical) through theme decks mostly but thanks to getting the TCGO codes with the decks we are playing online a bit too. I'd like to expand our online collection a bit since it seems pretty inexpensive to do so and was wondering on the best way to do that beyond earning packs through play. There seems to be some pretty reputable sellers on ebay that sell codes at around 20-30 cents per code depending on the amount you buy and the set. ptcgo.com seems to be another option at around 40 cents per code. Any other options?

What about sets? Sun and Moon is a no brainer but what sets in XY are worth picking up to get useful cards? I was thinking of going no further back than BREAKthrough since everything before is likely to rotate in 2018 (my speculation).

Thanks for the help.

IIRC, Roaring Skies is a good set.
Also, the Keldeo-Rayquaza Battle Arena decks get you a lot of good cards and are good on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Roaring Skies is strongly suspected of rotating out of the standard format very soon, though. It is a great set, but if you want to play standard keep that in mind.

• Locked thread