Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

you're a moron. please actually learn anything, about anything, before insulting people who have slightly different wants and desires from you.

Uh, I'm sorry? Berserk is cool and I'm invested in its continued success after years/decades like many other people are. It's just that Berserk anime posts have been largely "this show is such a turd! it's soooo bad gahh!! I'm watching it all and I'm gonna watch the 2017 one too", which has an ironic juxtaposition with the "ugh, can't believe people can sit there and play fail aids mobage" angle. That in mind, I wanted to retort after reading about 'these drat cell phone games' again. It wasn't meant to be inflammatory—an earnest post chiming back with something they liked from the new Berserk, highlighting compelling staff that worked on it and brought potential to the show, or talking up the show for having merits in spite of its flaws, would have easily counter-owned me.

Instead, this abruptly vindictive post ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Re:Creators' first episode was cooler than I thought, though I'm still gonna give it the three episode test to see if it sticks with me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQG06K0WxkE

Trash Hamster Returns

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mainly, I'm hoping for more I-IV mechanical designs. The Kataphrakts were probably the best things about Aldnoah Zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

Uh, I'm sorry? Berserk is cool and I'm invested in its continued success after years/decades like many other people are. It's just that Berserk anime posts have been largely "this show is such a turd! it's soooo bad gahh!! I'm watching it all and I'm gonna watch the 2017 one too", which has an ironic juxtaposition with the "ugh, can't believe people can sit there and play fail aids mobage" angle. That in mind, I wanted to retort after reading about 'these drat cell phone games' again. It wasn't meant to be inflammatory—an earnest post chiming back with something they liked from the new Berserk, highlighting compelling staff that worked on it and brought potential to the show, or talking up the show for having merits in spite of its flaws, would have easily counter-owned me.

Instead, this abruptly vindictive post ??
berserk 2017 sucks hard tho, but people are frustrated by it because it's the only time the material presented in it has been animated, so your post makes no sense. anyway, don't call people whiny babies. peace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Mainly, I'm hoping for more I-IV mechanical designs. The Kataphrakts were probably the best things about Aldnoah Zero.
the best thing in aldnoah zero was the music, but the mech design was pretty strong, yeah.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Genuine question here, what is supposed to be good about Berserk? Am I right in thinking it's basically The Witcher: the manga?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a very human story about guts persisting even in the face of all the horrible poo poo he's been through and managing to forge new bonds even after all his old ones get owned. it's got amazing art and a pretty great cast of characters, with even minor characters who only exist to be support for a single arc getting strong arcs and interesting development. i think it gets a bit too heavyhanded with some of the darker elements sometimes, but it has enough humor and earnest character building moments to balance that out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There have been two scary ladies within less than 8 minutes of Re:Creators so it's definitely a Hiroe Original.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So it's more about the page to page execution that makes people like it, and not so much the broad narrative arc or the premise/setting?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

So it's more about the page to page execution that makes people like it, and not so much the broad narrative arc or the premise/setting?
There's definitely a strong broad narrative arc, but considering the series isn't finished yet and has been on and off hiatus for the past decade, it's hard to comment on it since we don't fully know where it's going. As for the setting, it's kind of fairly standard dark fantasy - though part of that is how influential Berserk was and is on pretty much every fantasy thing to come out of Japan for the past 30 years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

There's definitely a strong broad narrative arc, but considering the series isn't finished yet and has been on and off hiatus for the past decade, it's hard to comment on it since we don't fully know where it's going. As for the setting, it's kind of fairly standard dark fantasy - though part of that is how influential Berserk was and is on pretty much every fantasy thing to come out of Japan for the past 30 years.

I think my conclusion from that is that this seems like good reason to think there's unlikely to be a good Berserk adaptation. There's nothing new and pressing to sell so budgeting will be constrained, there's not really a strong hook for people who haven't already bought into the story, and the elements that people like about it are specifically the elements like art style and writing that are not so easily ported over to a show, but are down to the individual talents of the production crew.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are a lot of longtime fans of course, but there's also a fair amount of people that saw Berserk for the first time thanks to the recent movie trilogy. The hook is that it resumes the story from where the movies left off.

Presumably those movies had enough of an audience to justify a tv series to follow up on them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Genuine question here, what is supposed to be good about Berserk? Am I right in thinking it's basically The Witcher: the manga?

Stunning art, :black101: action, a genuine sense of mythic resonance to the events of the story (not all that easy to pull off), some remarkably complex character-work, and intelligent exploration of some really meaty, weighty themes.

It's really a shame about Miura's strange and uncomfortable fetishes, because they present a significant barrier to entry to a remarkable work of art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really know what you mean by 'fetishes' since there's some, like, sexual assault and stuff but it's never really presented in a fetish-y way in the manga, it's just dark and horrific and you barely ever see the gritty details minus one scene that is meant to be dragged out and uncomfortable.

Also, yeah, Miura's art is so strong that I don't know if any animated series could fully capture it, no matter how high its production values were.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dont kink shame

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I don't really know what you mean by 'fetishes' since there's some, like, sexual assault and stuff but it's never really presented in a fetish-y way in the manga, it's just dark and horrific.

I dunno, the writing around it generally reads as a serious attempt to deal with the issues at hand, particularly later on once Miura matures as a writer, but there is a hell of a lot of rape, and it is often visually presented in an uncomfortably eroticised manner. Plus there's the other not-rapey-but-still-kind-of-uncomfortable stuff - once you've read Gigantomakhia (which is otherwise a pretty rad story that almost certainly served as the visual inspiration for Attack on Titan) you can never look at Berserk's younger female characters the same way again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think im going to look at them the same way again either way, since they're also never sexualized

and maybe im missing it but i can only really think of three major scenes of sexual assault

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

i can only really think of three major scenes of sexual assault

Okaaay.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

welcome to war

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, the writing around it generally reads as a serious attempt to deal with the issues at hand, particularly later on once Miura matures as a writer, but there is a hell of a lot of rape, and it is often visually presented in an uncomfortably eroticised manner. Plus there's the other not-rapey-but-still-kind-of-uncomfortable stuff - once you've read Gigantomakhia (which is otherwise a pretty rad story that almost certainly served as the visual inspiration for Attack on Titan) you can never look at Berserk's younger female characters the same way again.

Endorph posted:

i think im going to look at them the same way again either way, since they're also never sexualized

and maybe im missing it but i can only really think of three major scenes of sexual assault

:yikes:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fangz posted:

I think my conclusion from that is that this seems like good reason to think there's unlikely to be a good Berserk adaptation. There's nothing new and pressing to sell so budgeting will be constrained, there's not really a strong hook for people who haven't already bought into the story, and the elements that people like about it are specifically the elements like art style and writing that are not so easily ported over to a show, but are down to the individual talents of the production crew.

Seems pretty fair. Personally I think a spin-off set in the same world would be interesting with a good enough team behind it, but it's not really what anyone wants since as you say it's pretty much the plot and the characters that are the draw in Berserk and they're pretty solidly defined, and are mostly going to sell to existing fans rather than new people who're going to be more familiar with works that were inspired by it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Watch the original '97 series to find out. Seriously, that original series was one of the best things ever put to screen. That's part of why there's so much hate for this relatively incompetent and creatively bankrupt adaptation.

The manga I actually haven't read much of, but it's got really incredible art and a fairly unique setting and tone. Also

Darth Walrus posted:

Stunning art, :black101: action, a genuine sense of mythic resonance to the events of the story (not all that easy to pull off), some remarkably complex character-work, and intelligent exploration of some really meaty, weighty themes.

It's really a shame about Miura's strange and uncomfortable fetishes, because they present a significant barrier to entry to a remarkable work of art.

I wouldn't know about the "strange and uncomfortable fetishes" Walrus noted.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do you ever have anything better to say, or is using the stupid yikes emoticon as good as it gets

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

do you ever have anything better to say, or is using the stupid yikes emoticon as good as it gets

Doesn't post dogs that's for sure

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ViggyNash posted:

Watch the original '97 series to find out. Seriously, that original series was one of the best things ever put to screen. That's part of why there's so much hate for this relatively incompetent and creatively bankrupt adaptation.

The manga I actually haven't read much of, but it's got really incredible art and a fairly unique setting and tone.

You should fix that. The 97 anime honestly hasn't aged very well, and skips quite a bit of Manga content. As you've said, the Manga is a visual feast, especially as it goes on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My love for you is like a truck, Berserker

Would you like to making gently caress, BERSERKER

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have nostalgia for the first Berserk anime and it does have a great (GREAT) Susumu Hirasawa soundtrack, but the manga is definitely the way to go even for those early arcs. I'm not sure how much of this is how terrible the various adaptions have been over the years (whether it was anime or games), but Berserk more than any other manga series I feel just only works in that medium, especially in terms of art and general spectacle. There is a gravitas and ruthlessness that just gets watered down when it gets away from Miura's hand.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

You should fix that. The 97 anime honestly hasn't aged very well, and skips quite a bit of Manga content. As you've said, the Manga is a visual feast, especially as it goes on.

I'm usually the first to complain about the age of a show but Berserk looks drat good for its age. I didn't have a problem with it when I saw it a couple weeks back.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just read a drat book, it's not even a hard book it has pictures

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I might make a Re:Creators thread later today, if I can scrounge up enough information about it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the 97 anime is really subpar in terms of animation, just read the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Okaaay.
yeah, there's three scenes of sexual assault, and i think one of them is kind of tacky and unnecessary. it's a pretty dark manga that's been running for 30 years, iunno why it touching on that a handful of times is somehow bad in and of itself. it's not like game of thrones where it happens every other episode when the writers run out of ideas or something, or like schlock like goblin slayer where the first chapter is nothing but that.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm still in the midst of reading it but if people are being high minded about depictions of sexual assault in berserk then they probably haven't read it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space Flower posted:

Well, one of these is a fresh IP with a lot of creative effort put into it and ideas that deserved more than a cheap mobile game, while the other one is just a low-risk retreading of barren grounds. To me, the accomplishments of the former are worth more than Berserk fans' cries of "wahh, now we only have eight other decent but mostly uninspired retellings of the same story we've read twelve times"

one reason why the rage of bahamut anime is good is because it has virtually nothing to do with the terrible mobile game it is based on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Disappointed by a lack of helicopter sfx
https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/850503948486234113

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sorry to keep this line of argument going but I rather resent the argument that making things dark necessitates having 'major scenes of sexual assault'. I can think of a pretty wide swathe of dark stuff I'm consumed, both fictional and historical, without any 'major scenes of sexual assault'. (And the thing in common between the ones that have them is usually that they are terrible works.) So going 'oh I can only think of three major scenes' is kinda jarring.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, it's three over 27 years of serialization (well not really lol but it's still really long).

e: and I don't think anyone's argued that it's a necessary inclusion, just that they don't think it's been bad about it, for the most part

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Fangz posted:

I'm sorry to keep this line of argument going but I rather resent the argument that making things dark necessitates having 'major scenes of sexual assault'. I can think of a pretty wide swathe of dark stuff I'm consumed, both fictional and historical, without any 'major scenes of sexual assault'. (And the thing in common between the ones that have them is usually that they are terrible works.) So going 'oh I can only think of three major scenes' is kinda jarring.

it isn't about necessity, berserk's scenes of sexual assault are hugely impactful on their characters and are a big part of the story. they aren't there to make the world dark and scary, they're there because the world is dark and scary and berserk is about characters finding ways to deal with those things

• Locked thread