Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i suppose trump could probably just build a huge weird wall and suddenly LA was mexican again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

i suppose trump could probably just build a huge weird wall and suddenly LA was mexican again

And thus, Trump's secret plan was revealed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powaqoatse posted:

ehh what no they wont be living in mexico... the border itself cant officially be changed without a war or a UN deal. if you live on the US border, you'll stay on the US border.

bigger problem is the huge swaths of land that havent been surveyed & counted nor rather they've been counted but the result is that the lot is legally in both countries.

Your second point is their point. Building this wall will mean a shitload of work for surveyors, and mean that everything is cataloged perfectly. Which means people find that, wait, actually, that huge mansion you built *is* in Mexico, sorry, wall goes through here.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It was a few pages back but on that Australian story about them suing Apple. I don't really understand how Apple is at fault. Code 53 shows up when a screen or any other item in the chain for security for your Touch ID, etc, and the rest of the chain isn't replaced. Yeah it's a big hit for self-repair but it's not like Code 53 is JUST happening because a screen got replaced.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Boywhiz88 posted:

It was a few pages back but on that Australian story about them suing Apple. I don't really understand how Apple is at fault. Code 53 shows up when a screen or any other item in the chain for security for your Touch ID, etc, and the rest of the chain isn't replaced. Yeah it's a big hit for self-repair but it's not like Code 53 is JUST happening because a screen got replaced.

im a huge apple fanboy but theyre at fault.

the updates assume a lotta bullshit about my old hosed up phone.

also lol at the code number

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Apple is at fault because they breached the Australian Consumer Law. In Australia, if a company sells someone a defective product, or if a defect appears 'within a reasonable time' they must refund (or at least replace) by law, no matter what the fine print on the contract says. It also helps that the Gov't, and not the company gets to decide what is a reasonable time so it's usually quite generous (my smart TV is guaranteed by law for about 4 years). It's a legislated warranty and it can't be voided in any way by any company's terms and conditions.

The Australian Govt sued Valve a couple of years ago over this law and won. As a result Valve was forced to lift their 'no refunds ever for anything policy' so the law definitely has teeth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slugnoid posted:

Apple is at fault because they breached the Australian Consumer Law. In Australia, if a company sells someone a defective product, or if a defect appears 'within a reasonable time' they must refund (or at least replace) by law, no matter what the fine print on the contract says. It also helps that the Gov't, and not the company gets to decide what is a reasonable time so it's usually quite generous (my smart TV is guaranteed by law for about 4 years). It's a legislated warranty and it can't be voided in any way by any company's terms and conditions.

The Australian Govt sued Valve a couple of years ago over this law and won. As a result Valve was forced to lift their 'no refunds ever for anything policy' so the law definitely has teeth.

Yeah Australian consumer law is actually really great and I feel sorry for the Yanks because they get fuuucked.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Memento posted:

Which means people find that, wait, actually, that huge mansion you built *is* in Mexico, sorry, wall goes through here.

I don't think that will be much of a problem in Texas considering the border is a fairly obvious river. Also have you ever seen a mansion built directly on the border? The problem is more that the wall will be built an arbitrary distance from the actual line and will exclude a strip of the US.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't think that will be much of a problem in Texas considering the border is a fairly obvious river. Also have you ever seen a mansion built directly on the border? The problem is more that the wall will be built an arbitrary distance from the actual line and will exclude a strip of the US.

"Make America Slightly Smaller" isn't such a good campaign slogan.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
congrats America. you're getting a DMZ

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stoatbringer posted:

"Make America Great Again By Concentrating It" might have had a chance, but you'd run into trouble when people were temporarily moved into "concentration camps."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fold up your americas yall, put her in yer pocket~

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Powaqoatse posted:

fold up your americas yall, put her in yer pocket~

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is poo poo please dont do that again

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nuebot posted:

I want an Ä button.

I need a Å button so I can dial my stargate faster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What does an ₳ get me?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

What does an ₳ get me?

Beam him up, Scotty.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stoatbringer posted:

Nor is "American Shrinkage"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slugnoid posted:

Like it's ever going to get finished. We're starting four years of half-baked decisions and projects begun by a man with the attention span of a kitten on catnip and an upper political leadership that resembles medieval Marseilles only with nice suits.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Well, "littered" at least.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Stoatbringer posted:

Well, "littered" at least.

Looks like they threw it in the trashcan to me.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the bus got rightfully chased out of every city they tried to set up in and at various points got covered in grafitti. The one in Spain got torched

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Slugnoid posted:

that's cool, the one in korea is rad

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlmightyBob posted:

the bus got rightfully chased out of every city they tried to set up in and at various points got covered in grafitti. The one in Spain got torched

Yeah, it also got windows smashed with bats, but sadly theres no footage of it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Boywhiz88 posted:

Slugnoid posted:

This isn't really the thread for a debate, but to clarify since it's been discussed a bunch: this has nothing to do with consumer rights, the Australian government is trying to force Apple to insert a backdoor into their security chain that will allow the government to connect a compromised Touch ID sensor and break into locked iPhones. If the goal was to benefit consumers you'd see Apple be required to repair devices for free, not be required to allow the device to work when the security chain is broken.

Alereon has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alereon posted:

This isn't really the thread for a debate, but to clarify since it's been discussed a bunch: this has nothing to do with consumer rights, the Australian government is trying to force Apple to insert a backdoor into their security chain that will allow the government to connect a compromised Touch ID sensor and break into locked iPhones. If the goal was to benefit consumers you'd see Apple be required to repair devices for free, not be required to allow the device to work when the security chain is broken.

Also kind of interesting that this is coming up considering they stopped that error from happening a few months back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Powaqoatse posted:

ehh what no they wont be living in mexico... the border itself cant officially be changed without a war or a UN deal. if you live on the US border, you'll stay on the US border.

bigger problem is the huge swaths of land that havent been surveyed & counted nor rather they've been counted but the result is that the lot is legally in both countries.

Look, if your house is on the Mexico side of Trump's wall but still legally "part of the US", how are you going to feel about it?

Odds are, not too good. Legal don't mean poo poo when there's a wall in your way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I support building a wall between Trump voters and the rest of the country.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I support building a wall between Trump voters and the rest of the country.

I have invited them all to my home to try a most fine cask of Amontillado.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dewgy posted:

Also kind of interesting that this is coming up considering they stopped that error from happening a few months back.

Yeah, it was a one-time fluke with a certain update, apparently that error is supposed to go off during initial testing if something is screwed up. But right now, if you have a damaged or replaced Touch ID sensor, all you get is an "Unable to activate Touch ID" error when you start up the phone. It works normally otherwise.

And didn't they refund everyone that had to do an exchange when Error 53 was a thing anyway?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Umm... the border wall is like 5 feet from the actual border. Too bad they bought land in literal mexico. Also, this has to be in El Paso, where I live and the only place in Texas where the border isn't a literal river, and there is no mention of it here. So the story is fake. Sorry.

Edit: I stand corrected. All of Texas's border with Mexico is a river. So, no this story is super fake.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Umm... the border wall is like 5 feet from the actual border. Too bad they bought land in literal mexico. Also, this has to be in El Paso, where I live and the only place in Texas where the border isn't a literal river, and there is no mention of it here. So the story is fake. Sorry.

It’s not like your backyard fence. It can be thousands of feet from the actual border.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Apr 8, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If the border wall is five feet from the border, which is the middle of a river (except in El Paso) then you may be incorrect in your assessment that the story is "fake." According to your own claims and logic, anyway. Sorry for your delusion.

Not that I would feel any sympathy for a trump voter having their poo poo disappeared.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

It’s not like your backyard fence. It can be thousands of feet from the actual border.

It doesn't mean you house is magically in mexico now. And the home owners would still have to have access through the fence to the US side. unless the US literally purchased the land from them. But then the home owners would still not have property on the 'mexico' side because the US bought it from them.

The story is literally fake. It can't happen. So saying that it happened or could happen is a lie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Two Feet From Bread posted:

It doesn't mean you house is magically in mexico now. And the home owners would still have to have access through the fence to the US side. unless the US literally purchased the land from them. But then the home owners would still not have property on the 'mexico' side because the US bought it from them.

The story is literally fake. It can't happen. So saying that it happened or could happen is a lie.

Or, as the original image phrases it:

TRUMP SUPPORTERS COULD SEE PRIVATE LAND SEIZED TO BUILD WALL

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
the government could never build a wall right through private pro
http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/living-with-the-border-fence/
perty, leaving some americans on the south side of the wall but still in american territory. fake news fake news fake n

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Slugnoid posted:

Detroit's been around for a long time.

( :smith: )

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It doesnt seem fake. shows up on my monitor and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Rivers do shift around some too, though I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to build right on the floodplain.

http://www.clui.org/section/united-divide-a-linear-portrait-usacanada-border

I got that link off the forum a year ago or so. It's a really cool photo series about the interesting parts of the US-Canada border. There's a part where some stream had shifted off the border far enough that the locals were unknowingly farming the wrong side of the border.

I imagine the southern border will be surveyed just as precisely, except with bulldozers.