Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually tempted to go for banner 2 now that I've pulled Garnet's BSB; Shantotto's Burst would be very nice to go with it and Quistis' would be good.

That Selphie BSB dupe though. And most of the rest of the set doesn't do much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm actually tempted to go for banner 2 now that I've pulled Garnet's BSB; Shantotto's Burst would be very nice to go with it and Quistis' would be good.

That Selphie BSB dupe though. And most of the rest of the set doesn't do much for me.
Selphie's relic on banner 2 is her SSB, if that helps

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gotta admit some mild disappointment here. Oh well, they'll still be useful when I get a holy user (I do have Agrias' OSB...) I guess I could grab Braska since I now have his robe and staff SSBs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Decided to do one last draw on Banner 1, got Edge's jacket. I don't think I have Edge and it doesn't feel worth it just for that.

Thanks, game...?

My luck on the rest of the anniversary has been so absurdly good I can't really complain, but I was hoping for Vaan's dagger or Maria's bow especially.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prism posted:

Decided to do one last draw on Banner 1, got Edge's jacket. I don't think I have Edge and it doesn't feel worth it just for that.

Thanks, game...?

My luck on the rest of the anniversary has been so absurdly good I can't really complain, but I was hoping for Vaan's dagger or Maria's bow especially.
Edge's jacket is actually fairly nice. Instant AoE Physical Blink, Last Stand and Haste, and the relic itself boosts fire damage. That's a pretty good set of offensive/defensive effects. You might not always find room for him, but it's a nice option to have available, and great for Cid Missions.

Speaking of elemental boosts, I got Bartz OSB and suddenly banner 1 of the upcoming III event is looking tempting; it has 3 weapons that Bartz can use to boost it. Of course, if I got both Luneth's BSB/OSB, I'd probably use him instead of Bartz in most circumstances :v:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Prism posted:

Thanks, game...?

Its actually pretty decent. Its too bad you're fairly new because his SSB is great for the Nemesis fight that's going on now.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Grr. Argh. Do I whale? Am I a whale bear? How much shame can one bear bear?

I remain unsatisfied after blowing 100 mythril on Banner 1 and 3.

WoFF pros/cons:
+Ice Weapon
+Fire Weapon
+Novelty/Cute Factor
+Zero Dupes, and I actually want Yuna Relics
-Absolutely Worthless Synergy

Banner 2 pros/cons:
+Yuna BSB because Yuna is the best and also I want another stacking faithga for mage teams.
+Quistis BSB is good and I want more good Mage BSBs
+Faris Support Break is good
+I'd take another Apocalypse to fuse into an even better +Water sword for Tidus since its the last time it appears
-Everything not listed above is a dupe

Banner 3 pros/cons:
+Justice RAINES from above
+Refia BSB would instantly create a physical fire team for me
-Everything else is either boring as sin, a dupe, or otherwise disappointing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

victrix posted:

Orlandu is a monster. That is all.

He really is. I run him and have his OSB and BSB and things just die, fast. :iia:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nihilarian posted:

Edge's jacket is actually fairly nice. Instant AoE Physical Blink, Last Stand and Haste, and the relic itself boosts fire damage. That's a pretty good set of offensive/defensive effects. You might not always find room for him, but it's a nice option to have available, and great for Cid Missions.

Huh, didn't realize. Maybe I'll pick him up and level him a bit then. It's not like he's one of the people who's got an absurdly good Burst I should have hoped for (I think), and IIRC there's some stuff for him in a few months? Though a Hastega is slightly unnecessary since I run Shout.

Edit: Maybe I can make a mage team that uses him instead of Ramza some day, since I have a couple real solid mages kicking around, including Raines with his burst, and they'd get more out of the blink and Last Stand than Ramza's attack boost. I don't have enough hones to pull it off... yet. Plus, right now I'm too attached to the Ramza and Agrias Murder Combo.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 8, 2017

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hm, actually, thinking about my Mage team, I feel like maybe I can just run with something like:

Golbez (BSB, SSB)
Fujin (BSB)
Braska (SSB)
OK (BSB, OSB)
Vanille (BSB)

and probably be okay? Thats two faithgas, with OK holding full break/breakdown, with Fujin having MAG/RES and RES breaks to add on top. Golbez can do his tanking thing, Fujin can wrath into Bursts and generally just rely on that, and slap a couple Chain -ga spells on Braska?

If thats good enough, maybe I don't need to chase after Yuna/Quistis/Raines and can just hold out. Especially since I'll be pulling for Yuna USB next month.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Remember that Fujin can buff her magic with Stitch in Time

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nihilarian posted:

Remember that Fujin can buff her magic with Stitch in Time

I don't have any Job/6* motes sadly, so at this point in time she just has Wrath + that 5* Ninja Wind skill from her event.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Turns out Braska's Robe is pretty nice, and his offensive SSB is no slouch either I'm told.

Thinking about setting up a mage team now.

Yshtola (SSB&BSB)
Alphinaud (SSB&BSB)
Maria (BSB)
Braska (SSB1/SSB2)
Support???

I'm lacking a source of haste and breaks, but using ramza's shout just for the haste seems odd. Tyro could fit in there too with breaks/dances and such, but I have no SBs for him.

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/mBGE

[edit] And I just got Kain's BSB on a 100gem, now I'm also considering a Physical team

Yshtola (SSB&BSB)
Ramza (Shout & Chant + support)
Refia (BSB)
Kain (BSB)
??? (I have Agrias' OSB so perhaps her for spellblade stuff?)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 8, 2017

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Should be 51 relics in the pool for the DU Lucky Draw starting tomorrow assuming the festival relics are included (which is only OK and Ashe's OSBs if they aren't).

7.8% OSB
35.3% BSB
56.9% SSB

25.5% III Relics
45.1% XII Relics
29.4% XIV Relics

(Edited because Holy Rod was on twice)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 8, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gah, didn't know there was a dungeon update tomorrow, first time I'm not gonna be able to pull on one because I'm out of mythril lol.

Goodbye, last shot at Vaan's BSB

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't have any Job/6* motes sadly, so at this point in time she just has Wrath + that 5* Ninja Wind skill from her event.

That 5* ninja magic is bad in most cases. In general, Fujin is better off with black magic unless you're doing AoE, super short on hones, or stacking + damage against an elemental vulnerability on a boss with high res.

Just give her whatever Chain-ga or utility whatever for general use.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Gah, didn't know there was a dungeon update tomorrow, first time I'm not gonna be able to pull on one because I'm out of mythril lol.

Goodbye, last shot at Vaan's BSB

It'll be up for a few days, and the DU itself should have ~10-15 mythril?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

victrix posted:

Orlandu is a monster. That is all.

I only have his OSB, but looking ahead to the next FFT event "Twin Heirs of the Secret Art” banner 2 is juicy.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainPsyko posted:

That 5* ninja magic is bad in most cases. In general, Fujin is better off with black magic unless you're doing AoE, super short on hones, or stacking + damage against an elemental vulnerability on a boss with high res.

Just give her whatever Chain-ga or utility whatever for general use.

Ah, okay, I guess if I'm going to stack all the faithgas it makes sense not to use NIN magic. I hadn't considered that, thanks!

I'm coming around on Braska, he and OK seem like a good team.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I will likely skip the lucky draw this time. I'm stacked to ridiculous levels in III and XIV. Need a medica for XII, but low odds of actually getting one here, and am pretty decent in XII otherwise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kawalimus posted:

I will likely skip the lucky draw this time. I'm stacked to ridiculous levels in III and XIV. Need a medica for XII, but low odds of actually getting one here, and am pretty decent in XII otherwise.

But what if you're missing that chance? :ohdear:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My synergy is actually pretty good in all three realms, but gonna pull anyway.

Stuff I'd like: OK, Basch and Fran bursts. Acceptable runners-up: Vaan OSB, Ingus/Y'shtola/Papalymo bursts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CaptainPsyko posted:

It'll be up for a few days, and the DU itself should have ~10-15 mythril?

I'm at a whopping 2 mythril right now, so I'm probably out of luck unless another event pops while the banner is up. I've got a few of the best relics on this banner anyway so it's not a huge loss if I can't pull on it, but there's a few things it would be nice to have, for sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm at a whopping 2 mythril right now, so I'm probably out of luck unless another event pops while the banner is up. I've got a few of the best relics on this banner anyway so it's not a huge loss if I can't pull on it, but there's a few things it would be nice to have, for sure.

16 Mythril from the DU, and I think FFIII event pops on Thursday for another 10. The banner should be up til then.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

That 5* ninja magic is bad in most cases.

Incorrect.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you already have Orlandu's OSB? Because you're oddly happy about an ok SSB while quiet about a murdermode OSB.

No, I didn't have it before. But as someone who was using OK as a mage (I had a spare desch sword) having a decent black magic and %health medica to add into his magic is pretty nice. Though honestly OK till had like 450 attack even built for magic so it's not as though his reverse wall didn't pull it's weight.

But now that I have a synergy weapon for CoD, I can skip the III banners and save up for the best realm of all! How soon does the xi event drop? Cause I'm fresh out of mythril and seriously need to start building more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

That 5* ninja magic is bad in most cases.

Zurai posted:

Incorrect.

A better phrasing would be "Ninja magic is hard to make better", usually your only ways to boost it are with RS-diving and specialized buffs on gear/RMs (+elemental damage, +Ninja damage). However, it only gets better as bosses get tankier, as opposed to the inverse. The NIN magic hardcap is incredibly easy to reach, so things like stacking faiths won't do fuckall; most well-equipped Ninjas can hit hard cap either buffless or with a +30% ATK/MAG buff. Consider it kind of the inverse to monks being self-sufficient in mage teams; Ninja-mages are pretty self-sufficient in Shout/phys teams.

However, most of the skills do 3.5k-4k on a neutral hit (the 5* skills do two hits at roughly the same potency) so they really, really need that weakness and damage boosting to shine.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 8, 2017

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Hm, actually, thinking about my Mage team, I feel like maybe I can just run with something like:

Golbez (BSB, SSB)
Fujin (BSB)
Braska (SSB)
OK (BSB, OSB)
Vanille (BSB)

and probably be okay? Thats two faithgas, with OK holding full break/breakdown, with Fujin having MAG/RES and RES breaks to add on top. Golbez can do his tanking thing, Fujin can wrath into Bursts and generally just rely on that, and slap a couple Chain -ga spells on Braska?

If thats good enough, maybe I don't need to chase after Yuna/Quistis/Raines and can just hold out. Especially since I'll be pulling for Yuna USB next month.

Man, you could not pull for the rest of the year and be fine with that. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need every single top tier relic, content really doesn't require any of it. That is a nutso good mage team, and RWs exist to fill in whatever else you want for a fight.

Chasing the current best thing is a hamster wheel designed to disappoint and keep people feeding in dollars. I should probably be pulling for vaan bsb, and onion bsb soon. But I'd rather pull on tactics, and the coming celes/mog banner, because I'm clearing stuff just fine, and I'd rather play with my favorite characters in this silly nostalgia phone game.

So it cid raines is a sentimental favorite for you, by all means go for it. The next xiii event has a banner basically dedicated to him. Bsb, a new osb, and both his ssbs, but that's about 3 months out. But if you're thinking of buying pulls just so you can clear ults a turn faster, I'd recommend against it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I think I talked myself into being content until the X event. Fujin and Braska need some levels badly, but otherwise I probably do have all I need for a generic mage team. And I can field a couple different elemental themed physical teams right now (Dark, Holy, Fire). The only thing I'm truly missing is a wall and maybe a better Debuff Burst, but I don't really like using Tyro so I'll probably wind up waiting for the next XIV event to fill that niche on the Y'shtola banner.

I like X though so I'll try to hold out until then.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man here I was saying I could barely finish difficulty 80 event dungeons and I end up killing the ones in the WoFF event. Not that I'm complaining they give a ton event money and I was able to get everything besides the mats.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are the world of final fantasy characters worth putting in my party? I'm thinking cid/vanille/reynn/lann/Terra.

I don't have the woff weapons though.

Currently I'm running with MC/terra/cloud/cid/vanille and Terra has a 7* blood sword andbcid/vanille have their 5* weapons.

Seems like difficulty 80+ give me pause...

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are the world of final fantasy characters worth putting in my party? I'm thinking cid/vanille/reynn/lann/Terra.

I don't have the woff weapons though.

Currently I'm running with MC/terra/cloud/cid/vanille and Terra has a 7* blood sword andbcid/vanille have their 5* weapons.

Seems like difficulty 80+ give me pause...

Not really, if you don't have relics for them.

For the most part, having relics/soul breaks for a character > everything else. There are a few exceptions, like if you just want to level somebody for their Record Materia (say Cloud or Tyro and their level 65+ RM's), or if you just don't have enough relics to field a full 5-man team.

Ideally, you want to look at a setup with three primary DPS characters (physical or magic), one Healer, and one Support that lowers enemy stats with Break or Breakdown skills. That's a pretty basic party composition you'll probably use for a good while.

What kind of issues are you having at 80+, survivability or lack of damage?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I still need a support guy and was going for Ramza since I have plat sword but now I somehow pulled a ton of stuff for OK.

I got Blowback SSB, Sword and Spell OSB and Vessel of Fate BSB.

How comparable are Shout and Vessel of Fate?

I don't have either dude but I think this might be a good spot to spend my final soul.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

RagnarokAngel posted:

But what if you're missing that chance? :ohdear:

Then I'll go without it! Not hard to rig up a double healer setup in that realm if I need to. And Ashe's Maelstrom Bolt which I have has a small heal in there. Plus shared medicas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I still need a support guy and was going for Ramza since I have plat sword but now I somehow pulled a ton of stuff for OK.

I don't have either dude but I think this might be a good spot to spend my final soul.

If you're new but have a decent team you can get a few souls from the Nightmare Dungeons. Some of the first gatekeeper fights are pretty easy and a proper RW will most of the work.

Phantom Train from Ultima, Scarmiglione from Reraise, and Garlond from Meltdown are all weak to holy and a couple uses of a Level 99 RW Orlandeu will just wreck them to either dead or nearly dead. All three give hero souls.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shout is hastega and +50% ATK, VOF is hastega and +30% ATK/MAG. The stat buffs stack together, so it's not a bad idea to bring both, but you end up wasting the hastega on one of them.

If you've got a platinum sword but don't have Ramza, definitely pop a hero soul and grab him ASAP. Shout is really good at the stage you're at.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Shout is a stronger physical buff (+50% Atk and Hastega), and Ramza will be useful pretty much right away.

Vessel of Fate however buffs both physical and magical teams, but at a lower quantity (+30% Atk, +30% Mag and Hastega). However it's also a burst soul break, and it gives OK two strong commands to work with (4x physical or magical hits, instant cast next command), making Onion himself a great damage dealer. But Onion does have a bit of a catch. As a callback to FF3, his stats are terrible initially. Like worse than no-name core characters. You have to get OK up to level 93+ to get actually good stats. After which his stats explode to be some of the highest in the game. Also, he naturally has no 5* skills, but rather needs to use Record Sphere diving and Onion motes (rewarded in FF3 events, we'll have one next week) to get access to 5* skills.

So basically, Ramza will be very good for a physical team, and is a lot more accessible. Onion on the other hand will require more grind-investment, but will function well with any team, and turn in to a solid DPS option himself.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 8, 2017

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like OK would be worthless to me for now and will probably be free next week as well so that makes the choice clear.

As excited as I was to pull my first OSB for Terra she probably needs to make space for Ramza.

Terra (OSB) - > Ramza (Shout)
Y'shtola (Asylum, Aetherial Pulse)
Lightning (Focused Bolts, Lightning Strike, Smite)
Agrias (Divine Ruination, Holy Blade)
Celes (Indomitable Blade)

The next soul will probably be a sidegrade unlocking Orlandou who I got Thunder God for earlier. Thinking I'll swap between him and Celes depending on if Indomitable Blade would be useful instead of a shitload of damage.

I really like the synergy building up here. Lighting's burst imperils to lightning, Divine Ruination imperils to holy and then Thunder God should probably hurt.

My characters are in the 50s to 60s levelwise and there's way more content I can beat than I have the stamina for. Game's great, this planning feels great and everything's great.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, for you, depending on fight I would swap Orlandeau, Agrias, and Lightning interchangeably.

Want holy? Cid + Agrias. Want lightning? Cid + Lightning.

While you don't have the stuff for Onion Knight right now (and really probably won't need it for a while depending on how new you are), his BSB is phenomenal so putting eggs toward leveling him over time isn't a bad idea. Also next event try getting some onion motes for him, you're going to want them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My characters are in the 50s to 60s levelwise and there's way more content I can beat than I have the stamina for. Game's great, this planning feels great and everything's great.

This is why I've been focusing a lot of my effort on the realm dungeons while half-stamina lasts, I'm up to 127 stamina cap. Maybe I'm making a mistake not grinding orb fest or whatever, but I figure a higher stamina cap lets me do more stuff in the future. Plus its nice to have the option to do a few dungeons and then be able to set the game aside for several hours to recharge instead of only a couple hours.

• Locked thread