Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

JFC gently caress this thread

Was that controversial? Like, the deck looks cool, but it wouldn't really do anything without Traverse... and Traverse has proven itself to be easily worth the setup and deckbuilding cost in modern. I don't know if it needs to be banned or anything, but it's obviously one of the best cards in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

mattah posted:

Speaking of Gifts, I've got most of the money cards for Gifts Storm and am tempted to buy into the rest as I've always been a filthy combo player at heart. Good or bad idea?

I got the deck online and I can't really recommend it, you fold to like 10 different types of hate and creature removal is live against you game one. I think Ad Nauseam is much better if you like pure combo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you want a cool combo deck just play Taking Turns like me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShadeofBlue posted:

Was that controversial? Like, the deck looks cool, but it wouldn't really do anything without Traverse... and Traverse has proven itself to be easily worth the setup and deckbuilding cost in modern. I don't know if it needs to be banned or anything, but it's obviously one of the best cards in the format.

Idk about that. It's Lay of the Land a not insignificant amount of time when it matters in these decks. I could see it improving as people learn how to construct these decks, but even in modern (especially early) delirium is not trivial.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

drafted some AER tonight went 2-1. for my prize pack (i was at a place with no store credit) i took some conspiracy packs.

foil leovold.

i think im quittin magic

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Rinkles posted:

Idk about that. It's Lay of the Land a not insignificant amount of time when it matters in these decks. I could see it improving as people learn how to construct these decks, but even in modern (especially early) delirium is not trivial.

It's only going to get better with tilt cards (aftermath stuff has mostly been instant/sorcery) and cyclers in ahmonket. Even a single good discard outlet (cobru) gave delirium and goyf a big boost and we're about to see a few more.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Glory-Bound Initiate is a good card that I want to play with, so:

4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Hanweir Militia Captain
4 Archangel Avacyn

3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar (I only have three and am not spending $30 on a fourth this close to rotation, ok)

3 Stasis Snare
4 Always Watching

14 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
4 Concealed Courtyard

I'm four cards short of 60 here, not sure what else goes there. Thinking either more removal, Selfless Spirit's to turn on Avacyn, something that's yet to be spoiled from Amonkhet, or maybe three creatures and a fourth Snare.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Soul Glo posted:

I'm four cards short of 60 here, not sure what else goes there. Thinking either more removal, Selfless Spirit's to turn on Avacyn, something that's yet to be spoiled from Amonkhet, or maybe three creatures and a fourth Snare.

Why the black splash? You're only using it for scrounger and it's just not worth it if you're not abusing vehicles to give it pseudo haste. Spirit's flying is relevant, and its ability gives you the same kind of resilience as well as a free sac for avacyn and push. I think initiate fits best into an existing mono W humans deck so I'd look there for inspiration. You could also go more Mardu vehicles but the Always Watching combo is really kludgey in that list.

E: Toolcraft with no vehicles? You're playing all the vehicle cards and no vehicles. It also gets weaker if scrapheap is out so :shrug:

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 8, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Have Blue posted:

Why the black splash? You're only using it for scrounger and it's just not worth it if you're not abusing vehicles to give it pseudo haste. Spirit's flying is relevant, and its ability gives you the same kind of resilience as well as a free sac for avacyn and push. I think initiate fits into an existing mono W humans deck so I'd look there for inspiration. You could also go more Mardu vehicles but the Always Watching combo is really kludgey in that list.

I feel like it's a free splash for just the ability? I mean, I'm not above adding Swamps for Fatal Push as cards 57-60, but I think it would just make the aggro less consistent. Even if I don't hit one of the 8 black sources, Scrounger turns on Toolcraft Exemplar and gets gross with an Always Watching. Plus, the Shambling Vents could just be relevant if a game goes long.

But yeah, I don't know what creature fills those empty slots if not Selfless Spirit, unless something sick has yet to be spoiled from Amonkhet that makes white(ish, in this case) weenie better.

I saw the Mono White deck that got posted on CFB this week, I just didn't like that list since it seemed kinda creature-light, but hedged towards tokens, which seems a waste with all these good creatures in Standard.

Have Blue posted:

E: Toolcraft with no vehicles? You're playing all the vehicle cards and no vehicles. It also gets weaker if scrapheap is out so :shrug:

Thraben Inspector's clues also turn it on, I thought 8 hits would be enough to make that worth running.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I'm saying that the scrounger/toolcraft package just isn't good enough without vehicles and disintegration synergy. Vent is fine but if games are going long with this deck you've already lost. Mono W gives you the smoothest mana possible and I don't see adding a whole other colour for one (mediocre) card. Imo you should just straight sub in Thalia's lt. and spirit for scrounger and exemplar then add a few more lands to hit Avacyn on 5 reliably. That'll give you a good skeleton to playtest with.

E: Also magma spray is going to be a thing

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 8, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Those are fair points, I guess. I haven't sleeved anything up yet or anything, but I did preorder GBI, 'cause I really am stoked to resolve an Always Watching with that on the board.

I DO have Thalia's Lieutenants hanging around, anyway. Scrounger is just a fun card, though I might just have a soft spot for it from playing it in zombies.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

agree 100% triple khans was one of my favorite draft formats right up there with triple innistrad

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

agree 100% triple khans was one of my favorite draft formats right up there with triple innistrad

I genuinely believe Triple KTK is the best single set draft format of all time.
Just a shame Fate made it so reliant on bombs.

And not just because I got to play this dope deck:

Deck: 5 Colour Sarkhan Morph

//Main
2 Embodiment of Spring
1 Secret Plans
2 Scout the Borders
1 Hooting Mandrills
1 Crater's Claws
2 Abzan Guide
2 Woolly Loxodon
2 Snowhorn Rider
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
1 Efreet Weaponmaster
1 Mistfire Weaver
2 Icefeather Aven
1 Ashcloud Phoenix
1 Grim Haruspex
1 Singing Bell Strike
4 Mountain
3 Island
2 Forest
3 Thornwood Falls
1 Rugged Highlands
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Opulent Palace
1 Blossoming Sands
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Scoured Barrens

//Sideboard
1 Awaken the Bear
1 Become Immense
1 Brave the Sands
1 Death Frenzy
1 Highland Game
1 Lens of Clarity
1 Mantis Rider
1 Mardu Banner
1 Sagu Archer
1 Scaldkin
1 Monastery Flock

Display deck statistics

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Someone at my LGS picked up a box of Khans and we got to draft it last night it was a blast I ended up Jeskai because I got passed icy blast carter's claws dragon style twins and the Jeskai dude that give lifelink when you cast spells I only lost my last round to villainous wealth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So is it just the lack of players or is it another reason there is so little brewing in legacy?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The biggest name in Legacy really hacked back on events over the last three years which really can't be helpful.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SoftNum posted:

Since a lot of people seem to be showing up, I think I'm going to run a "live" Magic thing on Saturday. At Noon Central Saturday 4/8 we can show up and play. We'll run Swiss rounds on XMage until everyone gets bored of it or whatever. Right now I'm thinking Modern but could be convinced differently as required.

Let's use Discord, the goon discord is here: https://discord.gg/59dNDvR You do have to "register" or whatever, but it's quick, and there's a magic-the-gathering channel we'll use to organize matches and stuff (Also Challonge http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Z8E427AGuY)

I'm going to cancel; I have to do some stuff with my daughter anyway. I'll be around later for some games if people are interested.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What blocks actually had their draft formats improved by the small sets?

I'm beginning to think they should just do three big sets a year instead of blocks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

So is it just the lack of players or is it another reason there is so little brewing in legacy?

Honestly I think Legacy is probably basically solved. I feel like there's probably a Death's Shadow deck that just hasn't been created yet even though the card is awful against Swords to Plowshares, but outside of that cards are only dribbled in and nothing has been banned in a long time.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mossyfisk posted:

What blocks actually had their draft formats improved by the small sets?

I'm beginning to think they should just do three big sets a year instead of blocks.

I liked full block Theros draft better than triple-THS. I've never drafted original Ravnica block but I think it's generally considered to be better as a full-block format.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

$1,283.94

one thousand two hundred and eighty three dollars and ninety four cents.

So for a 75 card pile that's an average of $17 per card.

And yet WotC refuses to acknowledge the secondary card market or the price barrier to entry of this children's card game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

I genuinely believe Triple KTK is the best single set draft format of all time.
Just a shame Fate made it so reliant on bombs.

:same:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AceClown posted:

$1,283.94

And yet WotC refuses to acknowledge the secondary card market or the price barrier to entry of this children's card game.

You realize they just printed a set that tanked a huge chunk of modern staple prices, right?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Soul Glo posted:

Glory-Bound Initiate is a good card that I want to play with, so:

4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Hanweir Militia Captain
4 Archangel Avacyn

3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar (I only have three and am not spending $30 on a fourth this close to rotation, ok)

3 Stasis Snare
4 Always Watching

14 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
4 Concealed Courtyard

Gideon is in standard for another year right, so no reason to not get a 4th

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah I had a modern bug list a few years ago that was over 2k at TCG mid.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

You realize they just printed a set that tanked a huge chunk of modern staple prices, right?

Clearly it made a big difference then. What would that deck have been before MM17?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AceClown posted:

$1,283.94

What am Modern Masters?

It's also probably relevant to note that the majority of the price in that deck is in the 4 Goyfs and 3 Baubles; put together, those cost $500. There are also tons of less expensive decks you're welcome to play; cherry picking the most expensive decks in a format in order to make a claim about the price barrier being insane is pretty unreasonable. There's also the fact that prices are set more or less by scarcity and demand. That's just how poo poo works, dude.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I have question about Alchemist's Greeting. The important thing to note here is that it's a Sorcery with Madness.

I can't find anything about Madness that says it ignores basic casting time rules, so I assume you can only utilize the Madness cost here if you find a way to discard Alchemist's Greeting during your main phase? Or does discarding a Madness card let you treat it like an Instant? I've made sense of Madness otherwise but this part is tripping me up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Gideon is in standard for another year right, so no reason to not get a 4th

6 months, assuming we're talking AoZ

E:

Mendrian posted:

I have question about Alchemist's Greeting. The important thing to note here is that it's a Sorcery with Madness.

I can't find anything about Madness that says it ignores basic casting time rules, so I assume you can only utilize the Madness cost here if you find a way to discard Alchemist's Greeting during your main phase? Or does discarding a Madness card let you treat it like an Instant? I've made sense of Madness otherwise but this part is tripping me up.

You can madness it off of any discard at any time.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

AceClown posted:

Probably less than 0.01% of the total players of MtG care or want to build the very best deck ever. Most folks are just making a deck with cool goblins because it's fun to play.

I still hold that the best Magic you will ever play will be the decks you build out of a pool of miscellaneous junk cards with friends also building out of that pool. Where Hypnotic Specter is king and you don't actually understand how Frozen Shade works.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AceClown posted:

Clearly it made a big difference then. What would that deck have been before MM17?

Off the top of my head, Goyf, Misty, Inquisition, Ooze, Decay, and Catacombs are all much cheaper than they were a few months ago so.... a lot more? There's a lot of new cards in there that they couldn't reprint. The only expensive cards they could have reprinted are like, Bauble, Thoughtseize, Tar Pit, and Maelstrom Pulse.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sickening posted:

Between the staggering number of viable tier 2 decks there are already, how high the power level of the existing decks is, how long Legacy has been around, and how few new Legacy-quality cards get printed, it's really hard to come up with something truly new that can compete. That said, stuff still gets brewed, BR Reanimator for example was something where the pieces were all there but it took a while to put them together, but it's a small group pushing a big boulder.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

That deck would have been more like $1,600 pre-MM17.

MM17 is probably the best masters set to date. It hit the most important cards for the most people. It dropped Snappy, Lili, Goyf, Goblin Guide, enemy fetches, and a bunch of staple removal sans bolt which is like $2 anyway.

I really want them to reprint tons of poo poo too but the last MM17 really did help the price of a lot of staples.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Formats really only have room for a few hundred cards so even though Legacy and Vintage span :siren:EVERY MAGIC PRODUCT EVER:siren: you have to keep in mind that most cards are unplayable. Paradoxical Outcome was able to shake up Vintage so there's definitely metagame shifts when the appropriate cards get added to the format.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

EatinCake posted:

Probably less than 0.01% of the total players of MtG care or want to build the very best deck ever. Most folks are just making a deck with cool goblins because it's fun to play.

I still hold that the best Magic you will ever play will be the decks you build out of a pool of miscellaneous junk cards with friends also building out of that pool. Where Hypnotic Specter is king and you don't actually understand how Frozen Shade works.

AKA: Limited

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
imo the most disgusting thing about that deck is that mishra's bauble is a card that does as close to nothing as any card possibly can and should be a ten cent common like bone saw

but since there aren't core sets anymore they can't just print it in one so instead it'll be a rare in a masters set b/c can't print any card with mishra's in the title on another plane!

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 8, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

Formats really only have room for a few hundred cards so even though Legacy and Vintage span :siren:EVERY MAGIC PRODUCT EVER:siren: you have to keep in mind that most cards are unplayable. Paradoxical Outcome was able to shake up Vintage so there's definitely metagame shifts when the appropriate cards get added to the format.

So what you're saying is, ban Sensei's Divining Top.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

madness is rally cool and allows you to cast sorceries at instant speed using it

this is probably why there aren't many madness wraths

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So what you're saying is, ban Sensei's Divining Top.

I play legacy on XMage with goons so no one wants to go through the pain of navigating miracles or be named and shamed for doing it on that app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

I play legacy on XMage with goons so no one wants to go through the pain of navigating miracles or be named and shamed for doing it on that app.

there is a miracles player in thunderdome

when I played him the match took about 2 hours, but on the other hand it was a very good match

• Locked thread