Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:siren:

Continuity detected: Blenflarks (the currency Rick devalues) are mentioned in the pilot episode, by Dan Harmon Himself.

:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Continuity: Blenflars are as valuable as farsbo farsbooligaders.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah but whats the exchange rate with schmeckles?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah but whats the exchange rate with schmeckles?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah but does it defrakulate?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just wonder how much a plumbus costs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WampaLord posted:

I just wonder how much a plumbus costs.

Well, its worth about 6 and a half grapples.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, its worth about 6 and a half grapples.

So if I successfully grapple with someone six and a half times I get their plumbus? Sweet deal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

So if I successfully grapple with someone six and a half times I get their plumbus? Sweet deal.

No, a grapple appears to be some kind of apple-chicken hybrid. :) They're homophones.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
If you haven't seen this before, here's a short mini-series that Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon made in the past. In terms of humor, it's sorta like watching a proto-Rick and Morty, swapping out the dimension-hopping for degenerate Dr Seuss rejects. I'll probably watch it a few more times while waiting for the rest of season three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urB-lCSruoo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Planet Express ship?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hahaha that definitely looks like it could be. cute little reference if so

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Xealot posted:

I will do this and refuse to relax.

I thought it did, in that it loosely defined the potential for some variation of the universe to have a Rick in it. As in, if you could numerically describe different realities and plot them, there'd be clear liminal points at the beginning and end of some curve where the likelihood of a Rick approaches 0. And I guess that could either be because of something mundane like Rick's parents never met, or because of massive phenomena like Earth-life evolving radically differently or the planet or solar system not forming the same way.

The esoteric science thing I wonder about is Time. All these Ricks exist more or less contemporary to each other in spacetime, as far as I'm aware. Contextual to each universe, Rick was more or less born at a set point. But what if there is a whole range of universes where, due to random variation, Earth-life evolved humanity millions of years earlier or later? Maybe some ancient version of Rick traveled to C-137 and found the Cretaceous, and a far future one will find Dolphin-world.

I guess "A Rickle in Time" is the only episode that directly addresses time travel.

Time travel seems to be the one technological marvel Rick can't achieve. Obviously, all of his actions in the series thus far have been working towards inventing time travel- so he can get the schezuan sauce!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
McDonalds needs to get their goddamn act together and bring back the sauce, already.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Paul Robertson did a couple more Rick and Morty AS idents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgC3wNBLRwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51y9JIpzZbU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SmockJoc posted:

If you haven't seen this before, here's a short mini-series that Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon made in the past. In terms of humor, it's sorta like watching a proto-Rick and Morty, swapping out the dimension-hopping for degenerate Dr Seuss rejects. I'll probably watch it a few more times while waiting for the rest of season three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urB-lCSruoo

I remember this when it aired. Harmon was pretend-pissed in the host segments every week because people kept voting to bring it back. He may have been pissed for real too, considering Farty McSimmons and other stuff that may have been attempts to kill it. Only Operation Kitten Calendar lasted longer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There can't be infinite Ricks.

In the episode where they Cronenburg up the whole world and escape to the dimension where they just died, Rick says that there's only like 3 or 4 of these "freebies" left. If there were infinite Ricks, there would be infinite dimensions for "freebies."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WampaLord posted:

In the episode where they Cronenburg up the whole world and escape to the dimension where they just died, Rick says that there's only like 3 or 4 of these "freebies" left. If there were infinite Ricks, there would be infinite dimensions for "freebies."

He's not saying that there are a finite number of Ricks; he's saying that the audience for the show will only go along with this kind of swerve a few more times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think he meant there's only 3-4 worlds left (that he knows of) that are similar enough to the one they came from.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Infinite ricks, but some of them are just too weird, like morty-rick.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I'm still mourning Hammer-Morty :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

he really got nailed by those shots

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"And why don't we just burn Galileo at the stake for saying that the Sun is round?"

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

WampaLord posted:

That's not necessarily true, even if infinite Ricks exist. Say you have infinite ricks, 1% of them are dead. That still means only 1 in 100 Ricks can jump to a dead Rick dimension, even if there are infinite of them. Pretty sure there's a riddle involving an infinite hotel about this or something.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

There was one Acceptable TV skit that cracked me up all the time, I think it was called Drunk Home Makeover, and I still think about it and laugh. Has it survived anywhere on the internet?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Megaspel posted:

That's not necessarily true, even if infinite Ricks exist. Say you have infinite ricks, 1% of them are dead. That still means only 1 in 100 Ricks can jump to a dead Rick dimension, even if there are infinite of them. Pretty sure there's a riddle involving an infinite hotel about this or something.

1% of infinity is infinity. That's how infinity works. But the real answer is don't think about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KURvCi92XRk

Justin Roiland, totally normal human being

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, Jerry is a huge jerk in a way that's hard to feel sympathetic for.. Unlike Rick, who you simultaneously want to get angry at and root for, Jerry is just... he's a sponge. He doesn't contribute to anyone else's being, is neurotically self centered, and rarely considers the consequences of his actions. Yeah, he's shown some examples of acting in someone else's benefit, but after his selfish or needy behavior has put him in there.

I've seen people effectively going "Rick ruined his life when Jerry was finally happy", except... Beth was emotionally dependent on him at that point, which he'd called unhealthy when it was Rick benefiting from it, and his new better job and life was basically dependent on the colonization of Earth. Jerry may not actively try to screw people over, but he's cowardly and selfish enough to be just as bad.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I would like to see what Beth's and Jerry's lives was like before Rick came back. How much responsibility does Rick hold over them splitting apart?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BigRed0427 posted:

I would like to see what Beth's and Jerry's lives was like before Rick came back. How much responsibility does Rick hold over them splitting apart?

Considering the way Summer was conceived, it sounds like their relationship started on the rocks and never really left. At most, Rick was probably a catalyst or accelerant that made the inevitable happen earlier.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Beth has been looking for the flimsiest excuse to bail on Jerry forever. Remember Anatomy Park, when Jerry was uncool with his mom banging someone while his dad watched from the cost? Before it started raining blood Beth started talking about how she wasn't sure if her marriage could survive him being uncomfortable with it. (I know this was in croenenberg world, I don't care)

That marriage had been coasting on momentum and a few sputters keeping them together from the beginning. There really wasn't much more they could do with Beth and Jerry without retreading old ground.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

1% of infinity is infinity. That's how infinity works. But the real answer is don't think about it.

Learn to math, there are different infinities.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BigRed0427 posted:

There's a cut scene from Ricksty Minutes after alternate Beth and Jerry tearfully hug, Rick freezes Jerry and says "I saw that guy bothering you, I brought bird seed!" He's very much responsible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My view is that Beth and Jerry's marriage wasn't happy before Rick showed up, but his presence was what caused it to flame out completely.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah, but what about the couples counseling episode?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WampaLord posted:

What about other ricks jumping to other dimensions though? That's where cardinality of ricks comes in.

But it doesn't matter since as we keep saying, "central finite curve" is pretty definitive that there's not infinite ricks. There's infinite worlds but in most of them rick never was or died already.

Cojawfee posted:

I think he meant there's only 3-4 worlds left (that he knows of) that are similar enough to the one they came from.

And they have to be not just a similar world with Rick, but in that episode he was talking about pristine universes where rick and morty existed but just recently died, allowing them to slip in un-noticed.

Which is much more rare.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, but what about the couples counseling episode?

Even there they both knew it was doomed, they just wanted to kick the can a little further down the road.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It could be that there's an infinite number of Ricks but each Rick only has access to a finite number of them

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's exactly as many Ricks as there needs to be to suit the purposes of comedy and plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's exactly as many Ricks as there needs to be to suit the purposes of comedy and plot

I mean, sure, it's fiction. But at that point, why discuss anything? "I loled at the last Rick and Morty. Did you lol? [Page 2 of 2]"

My theory on Jerry and Beth: "he stuck around." Jerry is Rick's antithesis, not just because he's unambitious and stupid, but because he's extremely forthcoming with validation and easily controlled. Pregnant teenage Beth probably liked that because Jerry would never, ever do to Summer what Rick did to her.

The fact Jerry is lovely and a bad match is a realization she's had since, but ~17 years ago she probably lacked that clarity. And sunk cost is a hell of a thing.