Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Longbaugh01 posted:

I keep thinking the Flash timelines null each other out. Like the altered (altered since the original had no Eobard going back) one where Eobard killed Barry's mom the first time, assumed Wells' identity, and then vanished when Eddie shot himself was nullified by Flashpoint and now post-Flashpoint. Apparently, this is incorrect. For some reason I got it in my head that Black Flash wanted this Eobard so bad because he participated in Flashpoint and has been loving with time ever since. But I guess I'm wrong and Eddie shooting himself really did stop any Eobard from ever existing and any other Eobard's from earlier in Eobard's personal timeline are all aberrations now. So yeah...why didn't Black Flash go after all of them, especially with how they were all using the Speedforce. And I suppose this means if we ever do get Eobard back on any of these shows, that one will also be relentlessly pursued by the Black Flash. Well that sucks I guess.

I preemptively apologize for so much Flash stuff in the LOT thread.

He did go after the other Thawnes. They all died when he killed Thawne Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

I keep thinking the Flash timelines null each other out. Like the altered (altered since the original had no Eobard going back) one where Eobard killed Barry's mom the first time, assumed Wells' identity, and then vanished when Eddie shot himself was nullified by Flashpoint and now post-Flashpoint. Apparently, this is incorrect. For some reason I got it in my head that Black Flash wanted this Eobard so bad because he participated in Flashpoint and has been loving with time ever since. But I guess I'm wrong and Eddie shooting himself really did stop any Eobard from ever existing and any other Eobard's from earlier in Eobard's personal timeline are all aberrations now. So yeah...why didn't Black Flash go after all of them, especially with how they were all using the Speedforce. And I suppose this means if we ever do get Eobard back on any of these shows, that one will also be relentlessly pursued by the Black Flash. Well that sucks I guess.

I preemptively apologize for so much Flash stuff in the LOT thread.

I think I have the answer

Longbaugh01 posted:

Here I found a better image for you to make sense out of all of this:

Also, why are you posting this in the Legend's thread and not The Clusterfuck--I mean--The Flash thread?

Longbaugh01 posted:

Your post was 99% about Flash timeline stuff, and the 1% is one line Thawne said in this show. So, if it were someone else, maybe they would have posted it in the other thread to get more of an answer.

Either way, that way lies madness when trying to make any sense of Flash timeline poo poo. Again, speedforce.gif.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well maybe the two teams of Legends were breaking time so Eobard went hog wild on the paradoxes?

The two Legends are in the same room for like 3 seconds and quakes start happening and the time machine broke. But a whole battlefield of Reverse Flashes show up later and nothing happens. Plus there were at least 3 different Barrys all at the same point in time once and nothing happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WhyteRyce posted:

The two Legends are in the same room for like 3 seconds and quakes start happening and the time machine broke. But a whole battlefield of Reverse Flashes show up later and nothing happens. Plus there were at least 3 different Barrys all at the same point in time once and nothing happened.

Maybe speedster time travel is immune to time quakes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Time machine travel -> time quakes
Speedster travel -> time wraiths

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Space Crabs posted:

Kamandi is probably the most likely

That would mean the Legends landed in the United States of Lions though

The best thing about that map is that you just know that Kirby had plans for every one of those labels.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Maybe speedster time travel is immune to time quakes.
I think in general speedsters are immune to paradoxes. In Season 2 of Flash, Barry literally met himself from Season 1 (Eobard was there, looking like he wanted to die from Barry Allen's stupidity) and the world didn't explode. Time wraiths pretty much act as speedster's checks and balances, and go after them when they have truly hosed up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Kamandi looks to be possible:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/06/legends-tomorrow-season-3-spoilers/

Also Rip will be returning in some capacity.

Kamandi was set after "The Great Disaster", a future post-apocalypse, and that seems like the perfect playground for a season 3.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 7, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Would love to see Kamandi, if even for a couple episodes. Though honestly if Rip is going to be away, I'd like them to finally commit to Booster Gold but they seem hesitant to pull that trigger.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just catching up and I am on Doomworld of course Donald Trump is president in the Doomworld.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was a fun episode and I have no true complaints.

My one super nitpicky complaint is I wanted to see more roster turnover then just Rip leaving the team. Despite being one of the only Rip fans I don't mind him leaving, because he really had worn out his story usefulness and role on the team so its a nice time for him to leave. But I was hoping for some more people to join him.

Basically I just think of Legends like that comic book Exiles that picks up characters from different times and dimensions and drops off ones constantly changing its roster. I want to see more of that. I had this idea in my head that Sara would save Laurel but she'd be stuck on the Waverider as one of the Legends so that she didn't affect the time stream. Maybe something similar with Snart. And I really think Stein's usefulness has passed and was kind of hoping that Nate would go with Amaya to 1945 and turn out to be Vixen's dad or something.

Obviously I can't be mad at the show for not doing the thing I totally made up, but I do hope they have a little roster turnover at the start of next season like they did at the end of S1/start of S2. There's so many characters not only in the DC/CW-verse but in DC comics in general that I really want to see the Legends swing for the fences with them. It seemed like the S1 approach was to throw a character in every episode as a one-off and that turned out pretty lame, but in S2 they made them more a part of the team and story with the Legion, Nate, Amaya, and the JSA and I hope they do more of that in S3.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rip can't leave because Gideon doesn't have an android body he can run away with yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its future technology so I'm sure he can get her on a smart phone or something. Gideon can't be less advanced than Siri.

This makes me realize its a shame that Thawne never interacted with Gideon this season and addressed why she's trapped in a closet in Star Labs.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Guggenheim already confirmed Rip would appear in Season 3, but I assume it'll just be a more minor role. So no different than season 2, considering he was absent for half the season and only actually rejoined the team proper in the last handful of episodes.

Honestly I'm surprised Mick is still on this team, considering everyone treated him like dirt all season long. Not that I want to see him go, but he would have the most in-character reasons to depart.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Rip can't leave because Gideon doesn't have an android body he can run away with yet.

STAC Goat posted:

Its future technology so I'm sure he can get her on a smart phone or something. Gideon can't be less advanced than Siri.

No STAC you don't understand. Rhyno is referring to the fact that Rip wants to have sex with her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, he made out with her in that dream world so I figured that's where they were going.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lotus circle posted:

Guggenheim already confirmed Rip would appear in Season 3, but I assume it'll just be a more minor role. So no different than season 2, considering he was absent for half the season and only actually rejoined the team proper in the last handful of episodes.

Honestly I'm surprised Mick is still on this team, considering everyone treated him like dirt all season long. Not that I want to see him go, but he would have the most in-character reasons to depart.

I'm not. Mick really has nowhere else to go and the Legends only really treat him "bad" when he's being a skeezy, amoral, psycho. Its pretty much stay with the Legends who hound you about being a good guy while going on crazy adventures or go back to Central City where your only friend is dead and you'll probably just get bored being a bad guy again. And he already regretted that choice once. Sorta twice if you count the S1 stuff.

Mick is one of the characters who I think still has a place and role on the team because the team makes him better like Sara, Jax, and Ray. Stein, Rip, and Amaya seemed like the obvious ones to me who had nothing left to do or reasons to get off the ship. And I thought Nate might go with Amaya and live out some dream as a member of a new JSA or something.

Longbaugh01 posted:

No STAC you don't understand. Rhyno is referring to the fact that Rip wants to have sex with her.

Yeah, but all he can do now is dirty talk, sexting, and maybe dick pics and you only need a phone for that. He's off to find the Agents of SHIELD universe and LMD technology.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 9, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm kind of conflicted w/r/t Rip's ongoing role on the show. On the one hand, yeah I think Rip doesn't really have a functional place on the show/team any more, but on the other hand I really like Arthur Darvill and still want to see him on the show because he had some really great stuff this year playing basically a different Rip Hunter every other episode, from Terrified Pothead Rip to Evil Rip, to hosed Up PTSD Wants To Bang The Ship Rip, to Tiny Drunken Cake Wizard Rip.

So I'm happy he'll still be popping up in some capacity next year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I figured from the write out that he'd still come back since that felt like a "light" write out to me. He'll pop back up with some mission or to scold them for loving up time or some key help or something. Which is totally fine with me. I like him but he doesn't have a place in the team/show right now so better to have him leave for awhile until he does.

I wish/hope more had followed with him.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll miss Rip and I don't understand why he got bagged on so much in these threads sometimes.

My theory is transferal of hate for a certain other show to this particular actor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I figured from the write out that he'd still come back since that felt like a "light" write out to me. He'll pop back up with some mission or to scold them for loving up time or some key help or something. Which is totally fine with me. I like him but he doesn't have a place in the team/show right now so better to have him leave for awhile until he does.

I wish/hope more had followed with him.

Eh, I think the ensemble works fine as it is right now. Everyone on the main cast bounces quite well of everyone else and you can put any two or more people in a scene together and have it be as funny or dramatic as it needs to be.

I was a little worried about Nate when the season began, but Nick Zano's got great comedic timing and is handsome as gently caress, so I hope he sticks around. Amaya I'm a little take or leave on mainly because while the writing is hit-or-miss with her, Masie Richardson-Sellers really sells the character so I'd be torn if she left. But it's not to the point where the show would be markedly improved if they were gone ala the Hawks from last year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really dislike anyone in the cast like I did the Hawks.

But I feel like Stein is really out of place and awkward and I kind of can't justify in my head why he's spending his later years with the Legends and not his wife and new daughter. So I really wanted to write him out. Especially since they never use Firestorm anyway and Jax has found a nice role on his own and his connection to Stein almost feels like he's watching over his aging dad.

I don't love Nate but I like his nerdy antics with Ray and how they annoy Mick. And the Amaya relationship seemed nice and settled him a bit. He had some decent growth from the kind of needy guy from the first half of the season to a guy who actually seemed like he had found his place. Amaya is ok and I don't mind her at all, but they wrote it so heavily that she had to go home to have her kid that I just assumed she was gonna and was fine with it. And Nate leaving with her would have sort of worked and I thought he probably would have really enjoyed taking up his grandfather's mantle in a new JSA.

Again, I don't hate any of them like the Hawks so I don't NEED them to go. But I'd like to see some new characters come in with more story to tell. The premise of the show just invites lots of out of the box thinking and roster overhaul and I want to see them take advantage of it like they did this season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Like others I thought he final confrontation was poor - they showed one speedster nip in and rip out a heart in the blink of an eye, hundreds of them took minutes to take down the remaining idiots (and not kill them) and not one of them thought to grab the spear from Sarah the instant she started chanting or having a debate about who should use the spear.

Mick trying to drink beer during the time storm crash was great though, like he was just on a roller coaster :)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

But I feel like Stein is really out of place and awkward and I kind of can't justify in my head why he's spending his later years with the Legends and not his wife and new daughter.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Stein (and most--if not all--of the others) can be returned to when they were first plucked out of the timeline without missing a beat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll miss Rip and I don't understand why he got bagged on so much in these threads sometimes.

My theory is transferal of hate for a certain other show to this particular actor.

Was the second season of Broadchurch really that bad?

Season one Rip was a completely ineffectual scold. I can see why people wouldn't like him when he's tripping over his feet trying to kill vandal savage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Stein (and most--if not all--of the others) can be returned to when they were first plucked out of the timeline without missing a beat.

That was what Rip originally told them but it can't work like that any more because they didn't. Instead of coming back right away they came back later which precludes them from coming back right away. You'd end up with timequakes again since there would be multiple versions of themselves running around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Stein can't leave because he's one half of the team's most powerful weapon. Without them, who else would they have split up with Jax so they aren't able to use such weapon?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Stein/Ray will create something that lets Jax become Firestorm without Stein, but it will have limited power so he can only use it when the plot requires it. Stein will give Jax some emotional speech about how he doesn't need him in his head guiding him anymore, everyone will look sad and Stein will go home to his wife and daughter and spend the rest of his days slowly dying of radiation poisoning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has everyone forgotten that Stein needs to become Firestorm in order to live?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I would be willing to bet the show has.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly if we could get rid of Stein without losing Jax, I would be down for that. Not that I don't like Victor Garber, but Stein was just not utilized well this season aside from the first batch of episodes before the break. He would actually be much more useful on Flash again, as they don't really have a wordly science-type of person there this season (as their current Wells is pretty incompetent.) But I've really come to love Jax this season, with him being a quasi co-captain to Sara due to his knowledge of how the ship functions. I would be sad to see him go, so Stein has to stay if only because those two are treated as a package deal.

I also never got the hate Rip had. A lot of his problems had to do with 1) treating him like a competent captain when he wasn't and 2) attaching him to the Vandal stuff that fell super flat. They fixed the first one by admitting that he was a lovely leader and having Sara take his place, and the second doesn't even get mentioned this season. Last season he was the most serious character; this season he spent a year baking cakes and getting drunk on a mini-sized Waverider in the darkest timeline.

Hawks were absolute garbage though and I hope they don't ever return.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvMpVZjJLo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although I kind of wish he had started singing something from Godspell instead.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Also, Stein singing Edelweiss (also the theme from Man In The High Castle (and yes from Sound Of Music)) in that one episode with Nazis. Wait...how many episodes with Nazis have there been?

muscles like this! posted:

That was what Rip originally told them but it can't work like that any more because they didn't. Instead of coming back right away they came back later which precludes them from coming back right away. You'd end up with timequakes again since there would be multiple versions of themselves running around.

You're right of course, but I forgot when they came back later. Can you refresh my memory?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also, Stein singing Edelweiss (also the theme from Man In The High Castle (and yes from Sound Of Music)) in that one episode with Nazis. Wait...how many episodes with Nazis have there been?

You're right of course, but I forgot when they came back later. Can you refresh my memory?

Only two or three Nazi episodes I think, surprisingly.

They came back for the crossover. I assume they sorta resigned themselves to protecting the timestream after the events of season 1 and foregone returning after they left.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xelkelvos posted:

They came back for the crossover. I assume they sorta resigned themselves to protecting the timestream after the events of season 1 and foregone returning after they left.

Ah, right. Thank you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Even if that still held true it would only be for his wife and daughter but doesn't change the fact that Stein himself is two years older than when he left. Even if he doesn't get killed in one of the many dangerous situations he finds himself in he's still spending HIS twilight years with the Legends even if his wife's twilight years are on hold.

Rhyno posted:

I legitimately did forget that but I consider all the Firestorm stuff a non-issue since Legends has been so casual and forgetful about it that no one would really care if they just handwaved away a "cure."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah Firestorm was like non-existent this season. Stein and Jax fused way more in season 1 in comparison. This season I think I can maybe recall only four or five times they fused.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Firestorm thing is a joke but they've done a great job giving Jax a purpose and a place on his own terms. Which is why I think they could spend one or two episodes separating Firestorm and curing Stein and then write off Stein as feeling his family needs him more than Jax. No one would mind because Jax is clearly the better character at this stage totally separate from Stein and Firestorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

Stein can't leave because he's one half of the team's most powerful weapon. Without them, who else would they have split up with Jax so they aren't able to use such weapon?

*gets taken out by a single arrow*

• Locked thread