Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does it matter if I've never played a Yakuza game before? It says it's a prequel so I feel like I'm going to be missing out on callbacks and other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's some "Oh ho this guy here is important in 5 games from now!" kind of stuff but that stuff is almost entirely little comedic side-quests. The main story is completely contained and does setup for the first game (which the remake is coming out this Summer in the West!)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i liked witcher 3 combat and controls

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Digimon: Next Order or Yakuza Zero?

I have a gift cards from Target and my selection is extremely limited.

digimon next order is a digimon world game and therefore trash, so don't get that. if you liked cyber sleuth, another one of those was announced and is coming to the west next year iirc; if you never played cs, buy it instead of next order

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you're planning on playing cyber sleuth just play persona 5 instead

Does it matter if I've never played a Yakuza game before? It says it's a prequel so I feel like I'm going to be missing out on callbacks and other things.

the only think that might be an issue is if you don't know what to expect and think its like a gta or something. you are usually running around the same 10 city blocks doing fun side activities and getting in identical random fights a couple dozen times in between the linear story beats. despite that description, its magical

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 8, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was all right with Witcher 3 combat when I first played it but trying to start Hearts of Stone with a default leveled up character after beating Nioh felt pretty bad and difficult. I think I might just put the DLC on easy to see the story... it's finally happened

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

getting back into the witcher after a long hiatus is rough and I never finished the first dlc or started the second one because I didn't enjoy the combat either. plus it's just hard to get back into that kind of thing after a long time away

I plan on buying it on steam for $5 some day and going through the whole thing tho. it'll be even better looking there anyway

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My local Target had Battleborn for $3. It might be decent at that price.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Absolutely 100% doesnt matter. I havent played any Yakuza games before, and Yakuza 0 is loving amazing. There are a few points where its really obvious that they are doing a big "This character is in the other games! WINK!!!!" thing, but if I was curious I just googled it, and there wasnt anything I felt I was missing by not knowing.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Mill Village posted:

No that's $3 too much for that crock of poo poo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fridge corn posted:

i liked witcher 3 combat and controls

Stop lying bitch

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

if you're planning on playing cyber sleuth just play persona 5 instead
Play both

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm getting to the end of Horizon now and it actually reminded me that i own the Witcher 3 for PC and made me think i should give it another shot.

Then i remembered the 3 other separate occasions i failed to get more than 10 hours into W3 because it is perfectly serviceable but utterly loving boring.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm getting to the end of Horizon now and it actually reminded me that i own the Witcher 3 for PC and made me think i should give it another shot.

Then i remembered the 3 other separate occasions i failed to get more than 10 hours into W3 because it is perfectly serviceable but utterly loving boring.

Please tell me you at least left the White Orchard

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I enjoy Witcher 3 combat a lot and have no problem with the controls when fighting because combat is mostly made up of "big" movements, for lack of a better term.

It's the regular walking around and interacting with objects that needs work because the control system does not handle slight movements well but you need slight movements to position yourself at the precise distance at which you need to be from an object to interact with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah just get it. It's so so funny.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Turned out I had more money on the gift cards than I thought so I picked up Yakuza as well as Persona since they had one copy left of it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Horizon is lush and colorful and beautiful in visual design. It's like they saw all the "it's so gray/brown" criticisms of the last generation of games and set out to make a somewhat realistic-looking world that used the entire palette and hit 6 different types of environments. If someone says "it's just boring forest," I have to question whether or not they played the same game I did.

I have no opinion on Witcher 3 as I have not gotten to it yet (100+ hours seem like such a huge commitment) but the screenshots have always given it a more muted palette in a dark fantasy sort of way, which I dig but is a very different thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Much of Witcher 3 takes place in a gross swamp and a city that superficially seems like a stock fantasy city. But even then, the details in both areas make them feel much more engaging than they should

Mill Village posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWgFeZ-ecA&t=5s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Witcher 3 is a nice looking game but it doesn't have that painterly quality that makes Horizon look so nice. Also horizons day/night cycle and weather effects are stylized in a way that really pump up the visuals. I wouldn't even call them realistic but they really set the mood for whatever environment you are in. Like, cold areas seem cold, hot areas seems hot and rain is oppressive.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Put it on easy. The whole combat flow changes once you get upgrades. Especially if you go light attack to whirlwind. Its 100% better and different.

I think I'll do this when I clear up some of my backlog. I love the characters and plot so far, but I just cannot with the controls.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a dumb question thats probably been covered a million times, but is it possible to charge my PS4 controller via USB on my PC while I play my PS4? I only have the stock charger cable which is too short to reach to where I'm usually sitting and no other micro USB charging devices.

Whenever I plug my DS4 into my PC it recognizes it as "Wireless Controller" and charges it (judging by the pulsing orange light on the back). But when I hold down the PS button to turn it on and connect it to the PS4 it just starts Steam Big Picture. If I throw it out of the device manager it doesn't charge or do anything when I hold the PS button.

I have PS4 Remote Play installed if that matters in any way, I vaguely recall that installing some DS4 drivers or something so maybe that's it? Or maybe my USB ports don't provide enough juice?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Turn on the controller before you plug it in. It'll still get picked up by windows but it'll also control the PS4.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

abraxas posted:

I have a dumb question thats probably been covered a million times, but is it possible to charge my PS4 controller via USB on my PC while I play my PS4? I only have the stock charger cable which is too short to reach to where I'm usually sitting and no other micro USB charging devices.

Whenever I plug my DS4 into my PC it recognizes it as "Wireless Controller" and charges it (judging by the pulsing orange light on the back). But when I hold down the PS button to turn it on and connect it to the PS4 it just starts Steam Big Picture. If I throw it out of the device manager it doesn't charge or do anything when I hold the PS button.

I have PS4 Remote Play installed if that matters in any way, I vaguely recall that installing some DS4 drivers or something so maybe that's it? Or maybe my USB ports don't provide enough juice?
Might be a remote play thing, since I just charged my controller using my computer this morning while I played and had no issues. Try turning the PS4 on first, then plugging it in so it knows what it's supposed to sync with.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Any word on whether or not Puyo Puyo Tetris is gonna be on PSN? Cause a game like that's the one thing I'd consider buying digitally over owning a physical copy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bloodychill posted:

I have no opinion on Witcher 3 as I have not gotten to it yet (100+ hours seem like such a huge commitment) but the screenshots have always given it a more muted palette in a dark fantasy sort of way, which I dig but is a very different thing.

The blood and wine expansion (which was goty 2016 on its own) did a good job providing a huge area that was bright and beautiful instead of oppressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3REkojG6f8Y

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The blood and wine expansion (which was goty 2016 on its own) did a good job providing a huge area that was bright and beautiful instead of oppressive.

Agree 100% I went back to the original game and it was so bleak and medieval poo poo covered streets I just didnt want to be there after NotFrance. Blood and Wine was how you capstone a series. (Im looking at you Ringed City)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bad Seafood posted:

Any word on whether or not Puyo Puyo Tetris is gonna be on PSN? Cause a game like that's the one thing I'd consider buying digitally over owning a physical copy.

It's not. Switch is the only one who gets it digitally.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Lame, but also strange. You'd think a puzzle game designed for short bursts of play would be ideal for a digital distribution platform (versus having to dig out the disc every time).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oh wow, I can see what you mean. That is so vibrant right out of the gate has a very different vibe from main game, visually. Gotta get around to playing this...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If all of TW3 looked like that I might have been able to actually finish it by now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

abraxas posted:

l dont actually know the answer to your question, but if you cant get that sorted then you can get a really loving long micro USB cable for pretty drat cheap off amazon or somewhere, which is probably easier than faffing around with drivers/settings/remote play. (nb: Do not buy the cheapest one, in my experience the suspiciously cheap ones literally fall apart after a short period of use. I mean, dont buy an expensive one, but maybe pay more than 5c/metre). Or just buy a USB wall socket adapter, again a couple of bucks, plug it in near where you sit and play while it charges that way

I am slightly intrigued how you have managed to have no USB/wall socket adapters, I've got maybe a dozen knocking around the house just from owning mobile phones/tablets/kindles/assorted gadgets.

Bad Seafood posted:

Isnt there something odd about the rights, like Ubisoft or someone has exclusive rights to distribute Tetris digitally or something? I might be misremembering.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Persona 5 is a series of really cool transition screens that someone built a game around.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I really like the transitions, especially that they only show up for a second because the game loads pretty fast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

If all of TW3 looked like that I might have been able to actually finish it by now.

It's nice that the expansion is brighter and more vibrant, but it's still the same gradual expanse, homogeneous foliage, and generic copy-pasted village exteriors. I guess I'm just not a fan of the high-fantasy aesthetic. It's just extremely unengaging, polite design, like it was only made to be viewed on horseback.

Everything in HZD feels like it was made to be walked-through instead of just seen from afar, and there's just no other game that does that in the same way, it even looks stunning at night.

Here's one part that caught my eye early on, moving through ruins while morning fog rolls through and the sun bounces off it. HZD isn't perfect by any means, but it pops the eyeballs like nothing else out there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's nice that the expansion is brighter and more vibrant, but it's still the same gradual expanse, homogeneous foliage, and generic copy-pasted village exteriors.

That's not true at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That's not true at all.

Search your feelings...

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Can someone tell me how far I am in the Last Guardian? I just got to a cutscene with how the boy comes into the story etc.

I'm enjoying the game but God drat do the controls and trico's stubbornness bog it down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Can someone tell me how far I am in the Last Guardian? I just got to a cutscene with how the boy comes into the story etc.

I'm enjoying the game but God drat do the controls and trico's stubbornness bog it down.

about half way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Horizon is lush and colorful and beautiful in visual design. It's like they saw all the "it's so gray/brown" criticisms of the last generation of games and set out to make a somewhat realistic-looking world that used the entire palette and hit 6 different types of environments. If someone says "it's just boring forest," I have to question whether or not they played the same game I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV6PPpvUDJE

This game looks like if the developers had set out to make game like Horizon but didn't see all the gray/brown criticisms.