Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

(the one right before the Fall of the Four Horseman episode where Dreamz screws everything up)

That whole sequence is still one of my favourite Survivor moments. It was a clusterfuck of idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

Welp looks like the Toronto know it alls is sold out already.

Where is it taking place?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Binary Logic posted:

Toronto

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think everyone agrees - whether or not you were rooting for her - that voting out Sandra was the right move. But Zeke's likely motivation for doing so - because Sandra is a big name and not because Sandra is a threat - is reflective of his playstyle. Zeke is a very Ciera-like player (and arguably representative of the newer generation of Survivor players) that wants to make big moves and is itching to 'play'. He's constantly looking for whoever he thinks are threats and will have no hesitations of nixing his closest allies if he deems them to be dangerous.

Is that a valid way to win? Yes - look at Tony. But it's also a playstyle that is very dangerous to do in the spotlight, and you need a good social game to back it up. And that's where I think Zeke's downfall is; he's arrogant and a proponent of big game moves. If I remember right, from pre-game interviews he was very against Michele as a winner. And whether or not you agree with him on that front, I think that's indicative of how he thinks a winner should be winning. He's a big fanboy of schemers like Cirie, but I don't think he's cottoned onto the need for social play like they have. So I think he's a contender for making it far, but my guess is that he's gonna fall into the Aubry trap of not doing social management well.

Or I could be wrong and he goes on to win 10-0-0. But hey, that's the game.
I think one of Zeke's biggest skills is socially bonding with people. Look at he and Chris bonding over football or he and Varner getting chummy this episode. He's very good at making friends with people. He was tight with everyone last season and that's what made him such a target, everyone could see him talking to everyone else and correctly realized Zeke was running the game. His weakness definitely was not lacking excellent social play, it was not being subtle enough with it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Zeke is great at bonding with people that he has something in common with. Remember how he and the guys grossed out Michelle last season with their burps and farts? It didn't really amount to anything, but I'm not sure he's good at dealing with people that he might not normally want to ally with, even if he has to. Chaotic players like Tai and Abi-Maria are havoc for him to ally with, since they play unpredictably and you need to be able to cater to them. That's where you need a Varner or Sandra, someone who can talk to people who play with their emotions.

MvG was a very strategically-charged game, which is where players like Zeke and David shone. On a season like Koah Rong? Ehh. He has a better shot on a returnee season where people are gonna respect gameplay. But I could see him having a bit of an issue with Tai/Debbie and maybe Michaela.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Toronto

What venue?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Out of the cast that is left, I really don't know who I think would win. At the beginning, I felt like Malcolm would do really well and instead had his game blown up with something that was pretty out of his control.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Out of the cast that is left, I really don't know who I think would win. At the beginning, I felt like Malcolm would do really well and instead had his game blown up with something that was pretty out of his control.

Following the current pattern of eliminating the biggest threats, the next 2 boots could be Ozzie and Brad. Then the women team up to get rid of Zeke and Tai and we're left with all the women competing and Sierra being the remaining challenge beast who ends up winning the season.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Binary Logic posted:

The Sheraton Centre
123 Queen St West

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/survivor-know-it-alls-live-in-toronto-may-10th-tickets-33177109628

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

With the way the season has gone with men and big names getting targeted my instinct is to expect a woman to win, and probably one who isn't perceived as a threat. Sierra, Hali, Sarah. I'm kind of scared that Debbie could pull this out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I honestly can't think of any way for Debbie or Tai to win, unless they're both sitting next to someone who burned all their bridges with the jury.

I mean nothing against Hali, but she has probably the lowest chances of anyone going into this, and I still think that she could have a better shot of winning than those two.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think they would edit her the way they are if she won.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Debbie's just sort of my biggest fear but I don't have a rational reason for it. Just that more competent players will be targeted over her and then she could pull out something at the end. But it's just a fear.

The Sierra/Sarah/Hali thing is just the idea that if threats are being targeted they'll be able to get by. They don't make big moves but they seem to be playing good social games. Someone could step up and take control of the game late but it feels like a possible Michelle kind of winner season.

But that's like 6-10 moves away. There's really no way to predict a winner with any real logic this early. Any theories (my own included) are going to mostly be rooted in biases and "edit reading".

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Max posted:

I don't think they would edit her the way they are if she won.

Everyone loves a turnaround narrative

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Debbie has a joke narrative going. Even Fabio didn't get this cruel of an edit, deserved or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm long on record for thinking "edit reading" is 99% bullshit.

But again, I wasn't really suggesting Debbie will win. Its just my worst case scenario for the season.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I think Jeff could ship me in for a final 2 against Deb and I'd pull it off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm terrified it's going to be Hali, Sierra, Sarah final 3.

I hope we don't get the Michelle Fitzgerald "other people were more interesting so we're not showing the audience why she won" edit again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I hope we don't get the Michelle Fitzgerald "other people were more interesting so we're not showing the audience why she won" edit again.

Sierra is doing well though? The Malcolm tribal highlighted both her and Hali in positive ways. Sarah has been invisible because she's been consistently safe. Everybody on every given Ozzy tribe so far is getting the Koror (Palau) edit, and that's not a bad thing. It's not the story we should care about for the week so we don't see it. It's not like we've seen any more from Ozzy or Andrea, and you're not calling THEM out. You just know them better from previous seasons.

Given my salty reaction to the cast announcement, I'm surprised to find myself liking just about everybody left whose name isn't Debbie.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I'm long on record for thinking "edit reading" is 99% bullshit.

But again, I wasn't really suggesting Debbie will win. Its just my worst case scenario for the season.

Edit reading isn't an exact science, or really a science at all, but the practitioners of it were the only people that called Michele willing Kaoh Rong early.

but I think the producers have finally cottoned onto how the editing was making things too obvious to some people, because MvGX bucked some longstanding trends.

that said, my thoughts based on what we've seen

Varner - this episode was terrible for him. He was shown to be more gullible than Sandra, and less capable. He's dead meat if that tribe loses the next challenge
Brad - Getting a lot of positive attention, but in a leadership position, which can be very dangerous. at this point I think he's the most likely male winner.
Tai - just too all over the map. We've seen over and over that he's the king of idols, but strategically bumbling. at some point he's going to run out of idols.
Troyzan - I think he's long term, but I can't get much of a read on him
Ozzy - If he were going to win, wouldn't he be more featured? It's friggin' Ozzy! but it seems to me like he's getting the smallest edit he possibly could, given his legacy. Which is still pretty visible? but he's a huge threat, and All Threats Must Die.
Zeke - I swear, he's going to play himself out of the game. He's got this air of "arrogant super-fan that gets outclassed". based on what we saw in the premiere, I'd maybe venture a guess Cirie does him in.
Cirie - Her first major showcase, she was getting shut out by her whole tribe. Not a great look.
Sarah - not very visible, but keeps getting confessionals specifically about her strategy, rather than situational commentary.
Andrea - the closest to invisible we have, and what we see of her is mostly situational.
Aubry - we don't need edit reading to see she's in trouble, as she repeatedly aligned herself with someone that then got voted out. I thought she would've got more attention, though.
Hali - low-key likable, and had two really entertaining tribals. I'm not sure what to make of her.
Michaela - getting an obvious "audience favorite" vibe from her. I think she goes deep, but her difficulty letting things lie will be her undoing.
Debbie - the editors actually put in a loving flashback, which they never do, to contradict her. would they do this if she were the winner?
Sierra - Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn Thomas is getting an obvious winner's edit. :buddy:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think Varner is in serious trouble actually. The rest of the tribe have bigger fish to fry - Ozzy's an obvious post-merge threat, there's the looming danger of the Koah Rong Three, and even if you discount that, Tai and Debbie are too much of wild cards to keep around too long. Varner isn't great in challenges, and while he's a decent talker, he's pretty low on the threat totem pole. It's more likely that mini-factions will start using him as a swing vote. As Zeke put it, Varner's in a pretty desperate position and he'd be open to anything. If he can flip that around into an 'anyone but me' move, he can actually start using his position as a decent strategy. After all, with all these threats about, why would you get rid of a challenge weakling who has half of his original tribe that can sit on the jury?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Disagree!

Murmur Twin posted:

I did a $20 draft where everyone gets two players, chosen at random, winner takes all. I got Sierra and Hali and honestly feel pretty good about it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm rooting for Sarah and Hali at this point. Sierra's still super-bland, although insanely pretty.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why Sarah? She seems barely there

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

blue squares posted:

Why Sarah? She seems barely there

As a cop, she knows how to go undercover and make herself inconspicuous.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Pinterest Mom posted:

As a cop, she knows how to go undercover and make herself inconspicuous.

I thought the best way for that was digging holes and crawling in them

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
In my pre show draft Debbie and Varner were both undrafted. Kind of wish I hadnt wasted a pick on Caleb now :-(

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like a lot of people haven't been given a lot of screen time simply because a large group haven't really been to too many tribals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Sierra's been in the middle of stuff and just isn't that big a character, but like Sarah just hasn't been in any real peril or major game play. And the first time she was I was actually kind of impressed by her that she identified Sandra's game perfectly, especially since all season other players have been describing Sandra's game all wrong. And Hali showed a lot of amusing character at the bottom of her tribe with that crazy tribal.

I have no real problem with any of those three and I think they're in a decent position to go deep in this game. But its hard to judge how the second half a season like this will play because this is one of those seasons where the people getting all the air time are being taken out quickly.

Which again, is part of the reason I think that "edit reading" of how much time someone has gotten or how in control they seem is really very silly. Sandra's been the biggest focus and narrator thus far this season and now she's gone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sandra's basically Cambodia Varner. Entertaining as heck, but fizzles out really early. Heck I think they even got voted out in the same position.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The one who most of all has gotten conspicuously little screentime based on legacy is definitely Andrea. She's been a huge contender and game player in the past but in the current edit she's barely visible...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sarah never went to TC until last week and they've still managed to fit in multiple "Durr I'm gonna be a criminal not a cop" confessionals plus her narration of meeting Sandra and getting Sandra's pitch, plus her little deal with Troyzan she was setting up. I'd expect a deep run from her. Meanwhile Andrea has been on all the same tribes as Sarah and yep, invisible. Maybe she gets idoled out or something.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In one of the interviews, Andrea mentioned that Sandra was essentially shutting her out, so she hasn't been able to make the moves she wants.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Has Andrea been on the same tribe as Sandra before now? I don't remember her being on the Sandra/Tony tribe and she wasn't on the JT one. They only seemed to link up this past swap and Andrea/Ozzy/Sarah/Zeke seemed to drive the "get Sandra out" vote.

Did you mean Aubry? Because Aubry was definitely trying to go against Sandra and lost every time.

edit: Aubry, not Audrey.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 10, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Max posted:

In one of the interviews, Andrea mentioned that Sandra was essentially shutting her out, so she hasn't been able to make the moves she wants.

That was Aubry.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Whoops!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Andrea's probably been invisible for the same reason post of the rest have been. They haven't had a lot of dramatic Tribals like Sandra did.

But also I stand by my opinion that Andrea is overrated and I don't really put her above Sierra or Sarah on my rankings pre or mid game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Andrea's a solid middle contender, and I imagine she could be a push for the finale in a season like Micronesia. But she tends to either just overextend her reach or end up on the wrong side of the numbers. Probably a better shot than Hali/Tai/Debbie and I think she's more likable than Aubry, but she'd need to make some serious power moves to impress a jury from this cast. But I'm not sure how keen on strategic play a jury from this cast would be; I think there's enough wriggle room for a social character like Varner to win.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Debbie... Have you ever watched Survivor before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That pizza looked gross... must be from The Hut.

• Locked thread