Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

seriously don't do chemical, I'm telling you. its 90% chance you're running a literal carwash with mops. You learn some cool stuff every once in awhile but no, don't, please.

and it promotes like poo poo and is constantly being downsized and pushed off to reserve/guard units

edit: CM officers are some of the worst officers in the US Army too, it's probably the least desirable designation you can get, which means it's like the people dead last in their ROTC program and poo poo. The absolute worst.

There's a reason it went from up toward the top to last on the list, but I'd rather get paid to mop a tank than do the accounting for the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Ultimately, if you are willing to endure a lot of poo poo, pick a job you want and go and enlist.

14-series jobs have crazy enlistment bonuses going on now, and for them you might find easier waivers. There are some 20-40k bonuses going for the 14-series codes.

Enlisting in the Army sucks, and I've not had the grandest time in the past 8 months, but the benefits are great, you'll find friends on the way, and there will always be some older and more mature guys to hang out with, especially in AIT. I found them, too. And ultimately, the pay will be pretty alright with great job security.

It's just that it will suck. Hard. A lot.
Join Air Force or Navy if you enlist, I'd say. They seem much happier here on Fort Sam and they enjoy it, according to what they say. Air Force gets treated great with rooms, free time, fridges in their rooms, lots of opportunities for free time at the city, etc etc. Navy gets most of it.

Army just stands at formation or does pushup with no semblance of humane treatment or sense. I'm not kidding. You will get reamed 24/7 with sleep deprivation and exhaustion becaue mass punishment is the key, and with 200-300 privates, someone will gently caress up non stop, meaning you get punished daily. Your schedule will have one or two hours of free time a day, and it will be often uses for metering out the out the punishments.

If you feel like your life isn't going anywhere, and you fear for your future, loving do it.

But be certain. If you quit in the army, you are in a hell of a ride of cruel treatment, doing bullshit for 24/7, watching multiple cycles come and go before and after you.

And you'll have no cell phone or ability to contact anyone besides sending letters.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
theres like 150 other mos's that arent chemical or accounting. Intel might not be bad, the 35 series seems ok if you can get the clearance. Hell honestly I'd rather have been a cook than chemical, it's probably more of a respected MOS with a real world mission.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Don't do medic.

Do a cool combat MoS.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Try a UAV job dude, get out and make money working for a Sheriffs dept busting meth labs and poo poo with your cool drone skills

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
All my 15W battlebuddies are miserable.

Also in their AIT first formation is at 0345 and bedtime is at 2100.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

himurak posted:

There's a reason it went from up toward the top to last on the list, but I'd rather get paid to mop a tank than do the accounting for the Army.

Do accounting for the army. You get to make poo poo up and nobody cares.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Eh the AIT poo poo doesn't matter, thats a few months, I wouldn't base any decision on how long or where the AIT is at because that's like nothing, its a waste of time to even concern yourself with AIT

edit: barring like, say, language poo poo because thats like 2 years

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 8, 2017

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Chemical officers seem to be the bitch boy that gets all the lovely officer tasks if a unit happens to have a chemical officer. Like being the slide clicker for every power point presentation or being one of the guys that's always sent out the field days in advance of the main body and then stays after everyone else leaves.

I would say don't do any combat MOS unless you plan on making it a career. Junior enlisted 11B/C's and 19D's spend most of their time doing something other than what they're trained to do. There's a reason they joke that 19D stands for "19 Detail".

Don't enlist in the Army. Or the Marines.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vahakyla posted:

All my 15W battlebuddies are miserable.

Also in their AIT first formation is at 0345 and bedtime is at 2100.

TRADOC is not an accurate representation of the real army. Nobody should base their decision on what to do for 4+ years on how long school is. I say this as someone who was in TRADOC for over a year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pesticide20 posted:

Do accounting for the army. You get to make poo poo up and nobody cares.

Honestly it strikes me as a no-brainer. You're going to deal with a lot less bullshit than combat arms, that will probably leave you less physically and mentally broken than most of the people you meet in training, you're probably going to be one of the most competent people in your shop which will help you get rank, you're probably mature enough to dodge most of the stupid poo poo that gets people demoted, and in 3-4 years you'll get the same GI Bill as everyone else which really helps with grad school if there's another direction you want to go.

Note that everyone familiar with the MOS you want is telling you to do literally anything else. Don't be the loving goon-in-a-well.

Edit: Also, you're probably going to be mostly helping unfuck people's pay and maybe processing travel vouchers. The system is well established and mostly contracted out, so you're not going to be doing a lot of/any of the poo poo you did in college.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Edit: Also, you're probably going to be mostly helping unfuck people's pay and maybe processing travel vouchers. The system is well established and mostly contracted out, so you're not going to be doing a lot of/any of the poo poo you did in college.

Probably mostly processing standard DA forms and handing them off to an officer to sign and faxed to DFAS or something, no actual bean counting poo poo I can't imagine.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
All right tomorrow running is canceled, but I'll bother them Monday. I'm down to 89, 35, or 25 series ideally. If 14 is my only option in then I'll do construction again. I'm sure that the waiver still won't be there, yet, but I have a much more concise plan and hope for the first time in a while. I also feel like an absolute rear end that this crap is what has to happen to give me hope on getting in, but I don't control that poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
14 series are air defence artillery jobs with Patriot Systems and the like.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That sounds relatively neat. Especially since ADA is an area the US is finally starting to pay attention to, after not doing much for the past 30 except iterative upgrades to Patriot (mostly by riding the coattails of other systems).

Edit: V Hood is one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think if youre ADA you end up in either Sill, Busan, Okinawa or Qatar or something

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When I enlisted, I was offered loving boatloads of cash as enlistment bonuses if I'd choose 14series. I just wanted 11x.

That was over a year ago, and the bonuses are just getting bigger for 14series. My Basic Training battlebuddies seem to be liking their jobs in ADA, so it seems like it can't be the worst choice.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i turned down a 20k bonus for Patriot in 2003 because I wanted to be a cavscout like a loving moron.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

When I enlisted, I was offered loving boatloads of cash as enlistment bonuses if I'd choose 14series. I just wanted 11x.

That was over a year ago, and the bonuses are just getting bigger for 14series. My Basic Training battlebuddies seem to be liking their jobs in ADA, so it seems like it can't be the worst choice.

I swear to good lord god almighty if you utter battle buddy one more time I'm chain probating you, Vahakyla.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I swear to good lord god almighty if you utter battle buddy one more time I'm chain probating you, Vahakyla.

Thank you.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

ROGER THAT BATTLE BUDDY, DRILL SAR'NT SAID WE GOTTA MOP ALL THE JIZZ OUT OF THE SHOWERS HOOAH

Seriously dude if this is your only choice for a future, don't go combat arms or some dumb poo poo. Don't act like idiot 19 year old me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Vahakyla, it would behoove you to maintain situational awareness and be tracking the command climate of these forums. Don't act like a soup sandwich.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
orientate your map you dumb bitch, check fire roger over repeat

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

orientate your map you dumb bitch, check fire roger over repeat

Now point to where you think you are. Not with your finger jackass

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Don't take advice from that cherry AIT POG. He doesn't even know how much the Army sucks yet.

Also why don't you get a job as a CPA you loving idiot. Or be a tax accountant. Or go do bookkeeping for some small company. Literally anything other than the insanely stupid and gay and awful Army.

If you want to get the full experience start drinking a handle of tequila every night and then punch yourself in the face until you vomit. Give yourself a four day weekend from doing this once a month. And every other month go camping for three weeks at a time, but don't bring any tequila and punch yourself all night long and try to sleep it off in the daytime. Make sure you do all of this rocking the stupidest loving haircut you can imagine while wearing Affliction shirts and driving a car you can't afford. After four years evaluate how you feel about having done this day in and day out and if it still seems cool then you should enlist.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Jesus, y'all.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm concerned that people might see that as a joke.

It's seriously not.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

I'm concerned that people might see that as a joke.

It's seriously not.

1/10th of one percent is an exaggeration but everything else is spot on.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have a BS in accounting, you have a LOT less time required to get an MSA and take the CPA than you would ever spend in the military unless you get broken or die. And I mean a significantly less amount of time to get your life started. And in some cases (mine included) the military could actually set you back a significant amount.

If you enlist, you will be making pennies for a long time compared to national average starting salary with a CPA, and you will have a lot more freedom of movement to do whatever you want. If you commission, you will be making pennies for the first several years compared to the national average starting salary with a CPA. Almost every single industry needs accountants. You like sports? Go be an accountant for an NFL team. You like the music industry? Every major record label is looking for accountants/auditors. You want to work for yourself? Be a tax accountant and open up your own practice. You'll accomplish that quicker (when taking the required experience into account, save for opening your own tax practice) than you would doing whatever the gently caress you plan on getting from the military. And unless you go career, you're going to be on or close to the bottom rung of whatever industry you decide to get in when you get out, whereas if you put the same amount of time into being a CPA, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead comparably (unless you're just clueless).

Are you worried about tuition and financial aid debt? Some employers will pay back tuition as a bonus for working for them, you just have to agree to work for them for a certain number of years, which is where you can get your experience necessary to do what you want with accounting rather than what you have to settle for. You just have to be proactive and seek those employers out.

Seriously, don't make a foolish decision. Your future is a lot better off going the CPA route than going the military route. However much you think doing the white collar accounting life will suck, the military will tell accounting to hold its beer.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 26, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Or enlist infantry 8 years.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My friend told me last night that she's joining the airforce. She's 25 and has partially completed college and I don't think her life is a complete disaster. Is she making a huge mistake?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is she quitting college? Why?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

Is she quitting college? Why?

She got kicked out for a year over some :weed: thing. She was going to go back but then her brother got killed in the city she was going to college in and she moved back in with her parents. I'm sure she could easily transfer her college credits anywhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn there's a lot going on there.

If she goes for a security clearance, tell her not to lie. That'll gently caress her over much worse than anything to do with weed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Yeah, they'll forgive weed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I think if youre ADA you end up in either Sill, Busan, Okinawa or Qatar or something

Here's me responding to a really old post:

14E is at like 40K bonuses now or some dumb thing. 14, 25, 35, and some others have a ton of bonuses for both high and low score people.

Places one could serve in 14 series vary, but for E/T/H: Bliss, Sill, Hood, Bragg, Campbell, Korea, Japan, Middle East (not so much Iraq/Afghanistan), Europe. 14P is pretty much Korea, Campbell, Bragg, some Europe, and rotations to the Iraq/Afghanistan land. 14G is anywhere with a divsion, so who knows, you might not serve in an actual air defense unit until staff or senior NCO, maybe.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
anyone know if JBLM has a long term deployment/TDY parking lot? I only know of the PAX terminal and they only let you keep your car there 60 days. Also if they do have a long term lot, will ANG orders work or does it have to be active duty?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Under Total Force, you shouldn't be treated any differently in that regard.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Platoon Goons, Would I be out of my out of my mind to look into OCS at 32? I'm currently working at a pharmaceutical company testing drugs and while the money isn't bad after almost 6 years I want to do something else. Would it be worth looking into it at my age or has that boat sailed already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Never join the military