Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Went to the Disney Store in Times Square and during a recent trip to WDW, couldn't find any merch for Kanga (wanted it to represent our family dynamic through plushies since I resemble Winnie the Pooh. Was told that my best bet to find such an item would be at WDW) and was wondering if anyone else has had a hard time finding Disney Merchandise that they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BRER rabbit anything, princess and frog anything

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

My husband, Silly Burrito, loves Wreck It Ralph. Good luck finding anything with him on it. Maybe it'll be better after the sequel happens.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

My husband, Silly Burrito, loves Wreck It Ralph. Good luck finding anything with him on it. Maybe it'll be better after the sequel happens.

They put a statue of him in the Disney quest gift shop. No poo poo, on this trip is yelled "too little too late" as we walked by it like a crazy person

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What are everyone's thoughts on Springs? I loving hated it. We went last Saturday night (possibly why I hated it) and I found it to be horrible. Buses dump you off in the outlet mall now, the crowds are insane, restaurants are packed. I found it harder to get around due to the new shopping mall area. To me, it's not Disney anymore. Now, I get that was their plan but I enjoyed getting off the bus in the old area and walking through the Disney portion before I got to the West Side.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The correct way to get to Disney Springs is by boat.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I find it a lot prettier than the past. It lends itself to some gorgeous picture at night. The food selections are excellent and diverse, I think it could use one bar that's more beer centric but aside from that the alcohol is solid, the shops are just whatever to me (aside from Uniqlo) but I can accept that they might not be targeted at me personally.

All around, I think it's easily a great upgrade.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

At French Quarter chilling by the pool! Got in at about 7:30 this morning. Had a quick breakfast then hit Magic Kingdom for a quick walk around and some no line rides. Heading to Sanaa for a late lunch soon! Good start to the vacation!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I really enjoyed Springs when we went to Disney last month. The boat ride from PO:FQ to there is pleasant, there was plenty to walk around and see, dinner at the Boathouse was tasty with some interesting choices. Having a Uniqlo store there was cool as well, since there's not one near me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I don't love DS. It has some nice restaurants and shops, but it's a little too high end for my budget. I went last November and I'm good for awhile. In fact, next month when I go to Disney with my sister, I think I'm going to hang back at the Poly while she goes to DS with her husband and son. I mean, I hate to miss out on that time with them (we live in different parts of the country) but I just really don't feel like going to DS again.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DS is good for blaze pizza and that's about it. Still need to do la nouba though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My highlights at Disney Springs:

Earl of Sandwich, cheap and delicious
AMC Theater, all seats are reserved and all of the theaters are great (especially dine in side)
Uniqlo, where I buy all of my clothes now really
the Patisserie bakery
the tea shop
Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar
Morimoto's Asia
D-Luxe Burger greasy burgers and great shakes
The marketplace shop with all of the Disney kitchen and home decor
Flamenco guitar man and Eddy Maserati

On a related note - anyone visiting Universal should eat at Cowfish and have the Firecracker roll and Hoison burger.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually any other also good restaurants at city walk?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The old latin food place was really good but it's gone now. Haven't tried any of the other non-chain ones because we just keep going back to Cowfish :v:

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is fantastic, a well themed restaurant with a decent variety of menu options and awesome desserts. Easily on par with the Disney restaurants.

That and Cowfish are my choices.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toothsome is great if you can get in. If you don't have reservations, you can expect up to 2 hours waiting; even with reservations, there's usually a queue inside for people whose turn is up to get their table.

That said, it's definitely an experience. The menu is gigantic even before you get into the veritable orgy of desserts and milkshakes. Chocolate plays a part in a lot of items, especially the alcohol.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That place looks so awesome from the outside.

It might be sacrilegious to say but I really like auniversal. Almost as much as Disney. I think they've made massive strides since the 90s.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They certainly have been on a roll since Harry Potter. I know a lot of people criticize their overuse of 4d stuff, but I think they have a unique niche in theme parks and noone else does it as well as Universal. That said, everything since HP has been a one-off so I wonder what their next big plans are (aside from more HP).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nimper posted:

The correct way to get to Disney Springs is by boat.

Absolutely. For me I absolutely love Disney Springs. I stay at Port Orleans at least once a year and I usually only go to Springs. It's funny because I traditionally hate crowds and malls and all that but I find Springs to be beautiful and always enjoyable to walk around in. Everyone is usually nice and there are always things to do and see even without paying.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Bottom Liner posted:

They certainly have been on a roll since Harry Potter. I know a lot of people criticize their overuse of 4d stuff, but I think they have a unique niche in theme parks and noone else does it as well as Universal. That said, everything since HP has been a one-off so I wonder what their next big plans are (aside from more HP).

Well they're definitely posing the new Volcano Bay as their next big thing. Or at least they're trying to pose the park as given just as much theming and design work as their regular parks and rides. That's currently TBD, as there was quite a quick turn around from Jan 1st to May 25th.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't been to Universal since the 90s. Is it worth it now if I don't like any rollercoasters or rides rougher than weak stuff like PotC?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven't been to Universal since the 90s. Is it worth it now if I don't like any rollercoasters or rides rougher than weak stuff like PotC?

My wife and I just went a few weeks ago. Neither of us like anything past the intensity of a Disney coaster. We really enjoyed the Harry Potter rides and the merch, but honestly we got burnt out really fast on simulators.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Cais posted:

It's a ten person maximum per guide. Any more, and you have to have a second guide, which is charged at full price. No discounted second guide.

I've had a few of those lately. I was with one family for 3 days, with a different second guide each day. Tuesday we had 6 adults and 11 kids under 10, which actually went a lot smoother than one would expect. We actually did get yelled at Mansion, or rather, my co-guide did. First CM told her to go ahead and come through, then the second one yelled at her for coming through. Can't win.

During training they really try to instill how to treat other areas into you and I always really took that to heart. Our service is wholly dependent on being invited into your areas and the importance of building up those relationships, but there's definitely a subset of guides who skirt the guidelines as much as possible due to, well, honestly I'm sure laziness is a factor. They feel like they can't be bothered.

There's an upcoming opportunity to apply for a full time spot with tours but honestly I kind of like only being there a few days a month. I feel like I can throw myself into my occasional tour more than if I were there 5 or 6 or 7 days a week.

Yeah, it's rough that there is such a disconnect between the lines of business in this particular case at Mansion. I try to communicate with the guides at all times. "Hey our wheelchair hallway is backed up right now so we'd only be able to take like four of your people, so it'd be wise to go the regular way" rather than "Can't go this way. Sorry." That guide with 22 was an exception haha.

I probably know who it was who yelled at your co-guide. One CM in particular is raging against the machine with this change. He brought the operating guide to our managers one day because he was so adamant about it. I get his point, but you gotta play it a certain way or you just get called into the office to get yelled at yourself.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

My fiance and I were really annoyed at universal that every other ride sprays you with water for some effing reason.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
It bothers me that Spiderman and Transformers are basically the same ride.
Except Spidey is way better

Didn't wait the 45 mins for Kong. I assume its just more 4D.

Honestly, depending on who I go with on my next trip, i may skip Universal. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing, but most other rides I can safely skip. I can appreciate the Hulk is a good coaster, but I black out on roller coasters these days.

God, the Harry Potter stuff is good though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spider-Man is way cooler only because the 90s cartoon was my favorite as a kid. The Trasformers ride is my favorite 4d ride by far though, even if the source movies are terrible. The POV style is done really well and it's a unique concept to be in the character. I love Bluto's Barges, that's a genuinely good raft ride, especially in the summer heat. The Dr. Seuss land is really cute and The Cat in the Hat is a great dark ride. That's all of our favorite non-HP stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It blew my mind that apparently you change floors on the Transformers ride because it seems like you're always on one level. Very well done.

ET is also a classic and honestly gives the classic Disney dark rides a run for their money. I've never been on cat in the hat though, I should try it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

It blew my mind that apparently you change floors on the Transformers ride because it seems like you're always on one level. Very well done.

ET is also a classic and honestly gives the classic Disney dark rides a run for their money. I've never been on cat in the hat though, I should try it.

Yeah, take a look when you exit the NEST and you see Optimus for the first time. You can see the vehicle rapidly raising up to the second floor by looking at the walls.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Everest went down this morning. When we went for our fastpass around 11:30 it was out the door and down the path but we we're in within 20 minutes so it wasn't that bad.

Standby is currently 145 minutes and the fastpass line was all the way across the bridge into Dinoland by the time we got out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Love Men in Black and Simpsons too, even though the simulator vehicles used on Simpsons are rough as hell.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Minions worth doing at all? Or rip ride rock it?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Minions was terrible, skip it. Even as a person that really enjoys the Despicable Me movies and doesn't hate Minions, I still thought it was not good

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Or rip ride rock it?

Best ride of the entire Universal complex. I will brook no argument on this point. :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We thought Minions was really cute and good. Kids loved it. It's not much of a ride, just a very light simulator/show.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you guys done spirit of aloha? Any thoughts

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Universial is fun, but it's repeat value is quite low after having an annual pass for a year. I do like Horror Nights though a lot and highly recommend going if you have not gone. It's hard to do all the mazes and shows in one night so grab a fast pass or buy the frequent fear ticket to go multiple nights.

Harry Potter is the best theming done hands down in the United States though. Star Wars can take care of that though if WDI does it right.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

We did it, it was fun, but honestly I enjoyed the food and the entertainment at Hoop Dee Doo so much more. (I only compare the two because similar price and similar concept)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We've done it twice. I've been one of the dumb dads brought up on stage twice. Food's good, entertainment is cool if you like dancing and fire twirling/swallowing.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Awesome trip so far! Friday we ended up doing Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, then spent yesterday at Epcot. Just got back from MK to relax before our resort bar crawl tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nbakyfan posted:

Universial is fun, but it's repeat value is quite low after having an annual pass for a year. I do like Horror Nights though a lot and highly recommend going if you have not gone. It's hard to do all the mazes and shows in one night so grab a fast pass or buy the frequent fear ticket to go multiple nights.

It's certainly possible to do all or almost all of the houses in one night, but you have to be willing to stand in long lines to do it so make sure you've got friends to stick around with you. Last year I went with a close friend most nights and we had an absolute blast because we could actually talk and have fun while waiting in line.

If you're actually in Florida or down for multiple nights, get the Frequent Fear. It costs about the same as a single peak night ticket anyway and gets you more time than you'll know what to do with. I've had one every year since 2006 except for 2012 and 2013 because I was working as a scareactor those years.