Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
M9-G8 and Weapons Engineer: can I have two target locks on the same friendly ship?

Rules as written, the restriction on Weapons Engineer only applies to enemy ships, and there's nothing in the FAQ about this specific interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

M9-G8 and Weapons Engineer: can I have two target locks on the same friendly ship?

Rules as written, the restriction on Weapons Engineer only applies to enemy ships, and there's nothing in the FAQ about this specific interaction.

I don't think you could maintain 2 on the same friendly but it wouldn't do anything even if you could. M9-G8 doesn't require you to spend the lock.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't think you could maintain 2 on the same friendly but it wouldn't do anything even if you could. M9-G8 doesn't require you to spend the lock.

Ah, good point. I wasn't reading M9-G8 correctly. I was reading it as, "for each target lock," with modifying both dice from Snap Shot in mind.

No go on that one, sadly.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I had matchups in my favor, but ran this tonight and cleaned up on MOV hard. Tons of damage output all around and trickery with Asajj. R4 TLTs are dirty.

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
Push The Limit (3)
· Latts Razzi (2)
· Shadow Caster (3)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Feedback Array (2)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The overall rules only let you have one lock per ship; Weapons Engineer simply reinforces that. Nothing about that combo changes the one-lock-per-ship rule.

But that's a moot argument. A ship you have locked with M9 re-rolls a die. It doesn't say "re roll one per target lock you have on the target." So you'd only get one re-roll even if you had five hundred locks on the same ship. :)

You could, however, lock onto any combination of friendlies and enemies. One of each, or two of either.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slandible posted:

I had matchups in my favor, but ran this tonight and cleaned up on MOV hard. Tons of damage output all around and trickery with Asajj. R4 TLTs are dirty.

Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
Push The Limit (3)
· Latts Razzi (2)
· Shadow Caster (3)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Feedback Array (2)

Paul Heaver ran something very similar at Worlds last year, and I experimented with it myself. It's really good and really consistent.

I've often wondered if it'd be worth switching to Ketsu instead to further gently caress with high-agility ships. If you manage to catch an ace in your arc, you're probably going to be able to kill it that turn.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Final round starting still undefeated. Pray for mojo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope future Star Wars films and X-Wing expansions continue to give astromech names that don't begin with R#.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Raged posted:

Final round starting still undefeated. Pray for mojo

Welp, RauBoats owns bones. Went undefeated for the whole tourney. Started out each round using Fenn as bait and it worked like a charm All but one of matches was 100-0. The one match was close due to me flying loving Fenn off the board.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

If you magnetize your ships always double check that your ships are pointed in the right direction otherwise you are gonna get embrassaed.

Good day except for one guy who got grumpy that I beat him and spent the rest of his day bitching that Jumpmasters were "Bullshit" to anyone who would listen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Raged posted:

Welp, RauBoats owns bones. Went undefeated for the whole tourney. Started out each round using Fenn as bait and it worked like a charm All but one of matches was 100-0. The one match was close due to me flying loving Fenn off the board.

If you magnetize your ships always double check that your ships are pointed in the right direction otherwise you are gonna get embrassaed.

Good day except for one guy who got grumpy that I beat him and spent the rest of his day bitching that Jumpmasters were "Bullshit" to anyone who would listen.

TBF Jumpmasters *are* bullshit.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Last night at my FLGS we just randomly decided to put two mats together and do a five person free for all. We put out 15 obstacles and used a 100 point list. It was a fun madness type of game and we decided the next time we do it, it'll be kept to 50 points on one mat.

It did allow me to try out trip 70s tho:

S-Foils (100)

Nien Nunb (40) - T-70 X-Wing
Push The Limit (3), R2-D2 (4), Pattern Analyzer (2), Vectored Thrusters (2)

"Snap" Wexley (33) - T-70 X-Wing
Adaptability (0), R2 Astromech (1), Pattern Analyzer (2), Vectored Thrusters (2)

Blue Squadron Novice (27) - T-70 X-Wing
BB-8 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Raged posted:

This is definitely true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't magnetize but I still sometimes orient the direction of the dial with the direction the ship is facing to make sure I'm turning the way I want.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I don't magnetize but I still sometimes orient the direction of the dial with the direction the ship is facing to make sure I'm turning the way I want.

I do this even when I am going straight to avoid giving a tell because I am a very serious tournament level player.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

I do this even when I am going straight to avoid giving a tell because I am a very serious tournament level player.

When I am performing the same maneuver as last turn I give my dial a good spin in each direction and study it intently.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

When I am performing the same maneuver as last turn I give my dial a good spin in each direction and study it intently.

I miss Soontir Fel.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I do too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I routinely declare "I believe a Two Bank to the Left would be the best course of action" whenever placing my dials, even when I don't intend to do a two bank.

Edit: Sometimes I do a two bank... to the right

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo the mind games in this thread atm! :psyduck:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I frequently forget what maneuver I placed, thereby surprising both myself AND my opponent. They can't play mind games if your mind is blank!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I sometimes stare at a spot on the board that is in the opposite direction from where I am going to turn. Make it look like I'm really considering the move then dial it up.

About half the time my opponent in the tournament will pick up a dial or two and change it. I would feel.bad but half of this game is predicting manuvers.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Also I sacrifice a rubber chicken before each match and say "The power of Fenn Rau compels you" when Fenn gets to roll 5 attack dice.

Only one of these is true

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I frequently forget what maneuver I placed, thereby surprising both myself AND my opponent. They can't play mind games if your mind is blank!

My preference is to consider long and hard between two manoeuvres, one of which conflicts with the rest of the manoeuvres I've selected for my squad, knowing that I can change the rest of the squad. Then pick the conflicting one, and then immediately forget I needed to change the rest of the squad and let my opponent start moving.

It really fucks with them OMG

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Does anyone actually believe their opponents are watching them so closely that planning phase mind games are worth it?

The best mind game is calling out their dial just before they reveal it

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

My preference is to consider long and hard between two manoeuvres, one of which conflicts with the rest of the manoeuvres I've selected for my squad, knowing that I can change the rest of the squad. Then pick the conflicting one, and then immediately forget I needed to change the rest of the squad and let my opponent start moving.

It really fucks with them OMG

Yeah this so hard it hurts. Doubly so when you're playing Adv sensor brobots and you boost.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hoiyes posted:

Does anyone actually believe their opponents are watching them so closely that planning phase mind games are worth it?

In general? No. But picking up the dial and slapping it down unchanged doesn't require KGB levels of surveillance to notice.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

The best mind game is calling out their dial just before they reveal it

In tournaments after the first few turns you can easily tell the players that are watching where you are looking at on the board when you dial up. It's not everyone but when they do that when you start playing the mind games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So at Stele open i had a game where i flew off the board because i forgot which way my shadowcaster was facing.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Panzeh posted:

So at Stele open i had a game where i flew off the board because i forgot which way my shadowcaster was facing.

We have all been there. How did you go overall?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Saw this played on the Steele Open stream and I really like it

Chewbacca(New) — YT-1300 42
Expertise 4
"Chopper" 0
Inspiring Recruit 1
Millennium Falcon 1
Ship Total: 48

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
R3-A2 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0
Ship Total: 26

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing 25
R4-D6 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 26

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raged posted:

We have all been there. How did you go overall?

2-2 and dropped. The event ran really late and my energy level was shot. Still, I played some great guys and had a great time.

If I had realized the taco bar was actually happening I probably would've stayed in, but you have to choose whether you drop when you turn in the slip.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

2-2 and dropped. The event ran really late and my energy level was shot. Still, I played some great guys and had a great time.

If I had realized the taco bar was actually happening I probably would've stayed in, but you have to choose whether you drop when you turn in the slip.

Sorry to hear that. Aaron doesn't kid about the taco bar.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Taco bar? Fuuuuck that would be nice. We had meat pies and sausage rolls at ours yesterday.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah someone better explain this taco bar thing to me, because I've literally never been to an X-Wing tournament that had anything other than soda/chips/candy type food available.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who's playing Taco-Wing?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah someone better explain this taco bar thing to me, because I've literally never been to an X-Wing tournament that had anything other than soda/chips/candy type food available.

Stele Open isn't exactly a small tournament- Aaron takes care of ya. They did a wonderful job with it.

I will say they could do a bit better with reducing the downtime between rounds. They ran really late, and bigger events have been able to move more quickly.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 9, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

So in short, Aaron Utley always did the online tournament coverage for the nova area. He enjoyed it more than playing and in 2014 started asking around if anyone was interested in a small, private x-wing tournament and created the Stele Open. The history is here: http://www.steleopen.com/about/ . But, in short, it's a laid back event and I'm surprised at how much international recognition it's gotten. People were flying in from all over. He's always taken care of the players and you get your money's worth in promos and food. Aaron does not joke about the tacos. There really was a taco bar and a food truck, all covered by the entry fee. I think it was chipotle last year but this was the huge jump and might get bigger from here. There's a bunch of downtime in between rounds but I think a lot of that was the giveaways and the more laid-back nature of the thing. I actually liked it since I could go and look at the models on display, chat with the artists on hand, and check out what the nearby LGS brought over.

Craig deserved to win the mustache contest and he promised a video of him shaving it off with the prizes in view.

Also, yo, btw guys, vote for the fan favorite model. Not saying you should vote for anyone in particular but there's only like 30 votes on that sheet :3:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 9, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I usually don't like fanmade promos and feel like I'm the one kid who sees the Emperor's Dong through the new clothes with the sophomoric draftsmanship of Paul La Rue cards that everyone goes ape over.

But I really like some of the Steele promos Aaron commissions. I would love to have a whole set of pilot cards done up like the bubblegum baseball card Marek promo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine....Stele 2018...tacos topped with Mulan Szechuan dipping sauce.

e:

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I usually don't like fanmade promos and feel like I'm the one kid who sees the Emperor's Dong through the new clothes with the sophomoric draftsmanship of Paul La Rue cards that everyone goes ape over.

But I really like some of the Steele promos Aaron commissions. I would love to have a whole set of pilot cards done up like the bubblegum baseball card Marek promo.

I don't like PLR cards at all. I imagine the reason why its huge with the x-wing crowd is that the style looks like early 90s so it was probably when many players were in their teens and devoured the EU comics. The ones I've liked were kinda similar but not from him, specifically the graffiti Ahsoka Tano handed out by the SJ-PA guys. PLR markets it well with his limited printings and all. Now what I really want is this digital set done on cards: http://starwarscardtraderapp.com/art-of-the-rebellion/

It's a full set of cards with saturated colors even though that's just a basic layer with brush stroke patterns. e: it isn't even that one, just google "star wars card trader hypercolor" and you get the more colorful variety.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chill la Chill posted:

Also, yo, btw guys, vote for the fan favorite model. Not saying you should vote for anyone in particular but there's only like 30 votes on that sheet :3:

Pick the license plate.

• Locked thread