Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

topenga posted:

I have no idea. Is Yogaville bad?

It's just a yoga-themed commune thing not that far from DC. I haven't been because I hate yoga but have driven by, they have a pretty nice piece of land and supposedly nice trails but is a bit cultish like any commune. It's the only commune I've heard about in Virginia so it came to mind.

It's not like that place in Oregon that tried to take over a town by poisoning people as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

topenga posted:

We were all "why don't you just take a sabbatical?"

Do sabbaticals still exist? Is that just for teachers or something?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They're not called sabbaticals, but I've seen leave of absences at a couple companies. Not sure if they cover leaving to travel the world for a year.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Sabbaticals are encouraged among academic faculty at colleges and universities, especially if you use it for a period of independent growth you'd be unable to accomplish otherwise or have to care for some pressing family matter, but yeah I've heard of them at corporate jobs, too, just probably much more rare.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Academic sabbaticals are for writing books

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I get a sabbatical of 4 weeks off every 5 years.

Hoping to take this summer...though I have no real plans except "not be at work and get paid for it."

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

ate all the Oreos posted:

I know nothing about it except the name but I can already tell you with 100% certainty that yes, "yogaville" is bad.

Somehow I don't trust your authority on this matter.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They're not called sabbaticals, but I've seen leave of absences at a couple companies. Not sure if they cover leaving to travel the world for a year.

Intel gives you a sabbatical every 7 years, I believe full continuous month off on top of your 3-4 weeks normal vacation. You can stack them to be gone for 6 weeks or something no problem while drawing full salary.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Do sabbaticals still exist? Is that just for teachers or something?

I'm pretty sure our company would have let him. If not officially then "yeah, you'll totally have a place here when you get back." We're fairly small.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm thinking of pitching an (unpaid, probably) leave of absence for a month next year so I can burn my bazillion airline miles and visit people and/or WWOOF, but I work in government so everything is Policy Policy Policy so it'll probably get shot down.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

topenga posted:

I'm pretty sure our company would have let him. If not officially then "yeah, you'll totally have a place here when you get back." We're fairly small.

Yeah, this. Several (small-to-medium size) companies I have worked for have been chill with unpaid time off. I've had several colleagues take extended leaves of absence without issue. A couple years back I did a combo of PTO + unpaid time off to do a 6-7 week trip, and I'd certainly do it again. If you are a highly valuable employee in a smaller company you have a lot of leverage to negotiate stuff like this case by case.

I think a lot of people just don't push for it, or are living so paycheck to paycheck (even at high income levels) that they can't stomach the thought of missing a couple weeks of pay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We have a sabbatical program which is basically you don't get paid but you can ask for as much time off as you want.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Intel gives you a sabbatical every 7 years, I believe full continuous month off on top of your 3-4 weeks normal vacation. You can stack them to be gone for 6 weeks or something no problem while drawing full salary.

Can confirm. Good loving luck if you expect a good review that year though!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know a dude who combined his 8 week sabbatical with 8 weeks of bonding leave and a few weeks of vacation and was out of the office from August to January :hellyeah:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm thinking of pitching an (unpaid, probably) leave of absence for a month next year so I can burn my bazillion airline miles and visit people and/or WWOOF, but I work in government so everything is Policy Policy Policy so it'll probably get shot down.

It was a big shock to me coming over from the private sector that the government cares so much about taking unpaid time off. I used to do it all the time in my old job, because well, I could afford it and they don't give enough paid vacation. Now I have more vacation time but there's a policy about taking any time unpaid. Shocker: it's still not a decent amount of vacation time.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Someone I work with told me about an old coworker he had that was on a 36 month contract. During those three years she had three kids and took full maternity benefits for each one, 45 weeks at a time.

Short term GWM, but needless to say she didn't get offered another contract.

e. also my rent/utilities/insurance is 27% of gross because I'm the sole earner in a family of four.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 7, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Quick! Everybody humble brag about exactly how much vacation time if you have! :cheeky:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you insist

3 weeks of PTO per year, fully provided by the contracting company (as opposed to their client whom i am assigned to)

I think that's super rad because I expect nothing out of contract gigs

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Breetai posted:

Quick! Everybody humble brag about exactly how much vacation time if you have! :cheeky:

What's the point of vacation if you never get to use it.

160 hours as of today

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Gorman Thomas posted:

What's the point of vacation if you never get to use it.

160 hours as of today

My boss was really sticky about giving me this week off, but if he hadn't I'd have been up to 210.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Breetai posted:

0 because I'm a contractor. The only job I got vacation time had 10 days until you were there for five years. I took 4 days finding a new job because they had me working twelve day weeks and gently caress that.

Having no vacation or paid holidays while being paid less than FTEs: BWM. A company hiring people like that: GWCapitalism.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
"Unlimited"

I am seriously debating do a bunch of crunch work we have at work and taking a month off

I've officially taken 21 days off over the past year and a half. But some of that was "workcation". So I'll call it 3 weeks?

Edit2: actually it isn't as good as that sounds because I don't automatically get federal holidays off. But if I do work a federal holiday I work from home. I mean I work from home most days of the week anyways. I could most likely get away with way more but my SO doesn't get as many vacations and gets upset if I go places without her.

I also am taking 5 days off Wednesday to make it a long weekend.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2017

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have 420 hours of vacation and my mortgage is 6.9% of my net

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

my summer at fat camp posted:

if you'd please follow me and stay close to the group, we'll be making our way to the Guillotine shortly

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I get Arbor Day as a paid holiday, checkmate bitches!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Our competitors pay you 25% extra on your days off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Working for state government can be BWM in a lot of ways, but I do get 200 hours vacation, 160 hours paid sick leave, and 12 paid holidays a year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

my summer at fat camp posted:

nice

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
13ish days of annual leave, plus a bunch of compensatory time for random poo poo (training, travel, etc).

Oh, and 36%, but thats my total inclusive housing cost (utilities internet etc). Considering it isn't a shithole, not bad for the area.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shut the gently caress up about your loving leave entitlements, for gently caress's sake

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Shut the gently caress up about your loving leave entitlements, for gently caress's sake

You're mixing up the BWM and the schadenfreude threads.

I tried posting derail bird in the schadenfreude thread once and no one got it.

The schaden is on me.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

quote:

Pre approved for 1,100 a month. How much house should I be looking at?

Just looking for a range and recommendation. Loan says Included in this payment are Principle & Interest, Real Estate Taxes, Home Owners Insurance & PMI or private mortgage insurance. I won't have 20 percent to put down so I know I'll be paying pmi. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6402zp/pre_approved_for_1100_a_month_how_much_house/

Starting the house buying process with a budget directly dependent on monthly pre approval amount seems BWM. How do you even begin to correct someone's entire perspective and expectations on buying a house when it's this skewed?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CmdrRiker posted:

How do you even begin to correct someone's entire perspective and expectations on [anything BWM]?
You don't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Tipping is bad BWM!!!!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Do you tip the doctor after a circumcision?

We were thinking of doing it at our wedding.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had a paid vacation day in over 6 years. The pains of being a contract employee.

Back when I was a FTE I got a 3 month unpaid sabbatical to do my student teaching. So even then I didn't get paid and I still had to work the whole time. To help fund that I sold my Apple shares at $80 (this was before they went to $600) and my Netflix shares at $50.

Wait, are we humble bragging good things or bad things?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Car chat bad with money edition. Got a little speeding ticketaroony this morning. Nasty little unplanned expense. Could be a lot worse.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Do you tip the doctor after a circumcision?

We were thinking of doing it at our wedding.

Yes, the doctor keeps the tip.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I keep buying $8 jars of nail polish even though I already have a box full. Can we pleeeeease get back to bwm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I bought a condo and sold it after three months. That's probably my biggest BWM moment, but it was the right choice for my life if not my bank account.

• Locked thread