Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Media Creation Tool has now been updated to allow you to download the Creators Update (1703).

Grab the updated download tool here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Except change en-gb for your language and country code; it won't do it automatically.

Also the Windows 10 ISO is up if you can make your browser claim to be running on something other than Windows and it shares checksums with the 15063 insider preview ISO. Unfortunately Microsoft still only uses SHA1 for file validation (standard (home/pro) en-us x64: CE8005A659E8DF7FE9B080352CB1C313C3E9ADCE) and they need to change that.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone know how to remove this error? It's obnoxious:

Also shows up in the system tray like this.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So, what is the situation with the upgrade? I've got an employee laptop still on Windows 8, which is just terrible. Can I still just upgrade right to 10 with their key or do I need to turn some setting on or am I poo poo out of luck doing this free?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well, this new Creators update did nothing to fix multimonitor fuckery with displayport/hdmi.. mostly windows and icons flying around when a monitor is in sleep or off mode. Its really annoying to say the least.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

Well, this new Creators update did nothing to fix multimonitor fuckery with displayport/hdmi.. mostly windows and icons flying around when a monitor is in sleep or off mode. Its really annoying to say the least.

Is this a Windows thing or a video driver thing? I ask because I never had this problem until I upgraded video cards from AMD -> Nvidia, so I'd kinda been mentally blaming nvidia for it. But I suppose that timing could be coincidence.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

Klyith posted:

Is this a Windows thing or a video driver thing? I ask because I never had this problem until I upgraded video cards from AMD -> Nvidia, so I'd kinda been mentally blaming nvidia for it. But I suppose that timing could be coincidence.

It's neither a Windows nor a video driver thing. The monitors are disabling their presence signal when they go to sleep. The video card thus sees it as if the monitor was unplugged and Windows correctly responds to this by relocating things that were on the now disconnected monitor.

If the monitor that just told the system it wasn't there anymore was the only one remaining Windows reverts to a standard virtual desktop size which defaults to 1024x768 but IIRC can be changed with a registry key. In that case if you make it match your monitor's configuration you at least won't notice the problem.

This is 100% a monitor problem and will not be solved in software.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 6, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

There is a known issue with some (most) displayport cables that they do not correctly wire pin 20, the sleep/off state 'awareness' pin. Displays going to sleep with such a defective cable cause windows to think the monitor has been unplugged.

There are also some monitors that do not correctly provide status on pin 20, though those are rarer.

For along time, Accell was the only brand that was doing it correctly for all their DP cables, though others may have caught up, so if you are using an older or generic displayport cable, it might be the problem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

There is a known issue with some (most) displayport cables that they do not correctly wire pin 20, the sleep/off state 'awareness' pin. Displays going to sleep with such a defective cable cause windows to think the monitor has been unplugged.

There are also some monitors that do not correctly provide status on pin 20, though those are rarer.

For along time, Accell was the only brand that was doing it correctly for all their DP cables, though others may have caught up, so if you are using an older or generic displayport cable, it might be the problem.

Thats super interesting! I am actually using HDMI 2.0 via a RX480 which probably is the culprit but if you know anything about HDMI please, I am all ears.

quote:

Opposite for me. GTX 1060 doesn't do it, RX 480 does.. wtf.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 6, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

It's neither a Windows nor a video driver thing. The monitors are disabling their presence signal when they go to sleep. The video card thus sees it as if the monitor was unplugged and Windows correctly responds to this by relocating things that were on the now disconnected monitor.

If the monitor that just told the system it wasn't there anymore was the only one remaining Windows reverts to a standard virtual desktop size which defaults to 1024x768 but IIRC can be changed with a registry key. In that case if you make it match your monitor's configuration you at least won't notice the problem.

So I would love some help with this. I use 3840x2160.. I'm not really seeing how to fix this with google.

Do you think an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter might work to keep the sleep sense on?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 6, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Get Windows Blinds and just put all your icons in those? Then when the monitor comes back on things should be back where they should be at least. :/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Get Windows Blinds and just put all your icons in those? Then when the monitor comes back on things should be back where they should be at least. :/

It's not just icons, every window gets resized and shove up to the left most corner at 1024x768

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

Thats super interesting! I am actually using HDMI 2.0 via a RX480 which probably is the culprit but if you know anything about HDMI please, I am all ears.

Similar story for me, on my 750 ti I had no issues with either my hdmi monitor or my dvi one, now I'm on an rx 480 and it happens with both and it's quite irritating.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I have only been able to replicate this when unplugging my monitor from the wall. Sleep or even the annoying Dell monitor "deep sleep" doesn't cause it. It really does seem like a monitor not behaving correctly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I see it when I turn my monitors off. If I just lock it and let it go to sleep, everything is fine.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Are ytou sure it's the HDMI connected monitor which is having its windows/icons moved, not the DP one? That sounds like the monitor really isn't supplying sleep state info correctly, as HDMI cables don't normally do anything fancy.

There is a way of modifying the registry to force the windows 'no monitor' monitor display resolution somewhat higher, but it requires a good bit of fiddling, so if you aren't comfortable with doing that, I won't post the instructions.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

redeyes posted:

It's not just icons, every window gets resized and shove up to the left most corner at 1024x768

Ok then something else is sort of borked. I have the Icon shuffle when I Uninstall/Reinstall drivers and move monitors around sometime, but the only time I get a lower res window resize issue is if I have something that throws up a fullscreen window that isn't the native res. (happened last night with Battlefield 1 on its first run in fact)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EoRaptor posted:

Pin 20 is a different problem, that's the power line that's intended to power small dongle-style adapters. It's not supposed to be connected on any standard removable cables, only hardwired or cables with a proprietary device-side connector, but a lot of the cheap cables on the market connected them anyways.

The monitor "disconnecting" issue is entirely on the monitor, and as noted it's usually only if you power off the device rather than just sleep mode. It's mostly a problem on DisplayPort, strangely the same monitors often get it right on HDMI/DVI if available. Usually when I've heard of it on HDMI it's when talking about a connection to a TV. Sometimes TVs will even stop asserting presence when you switch to a different input.

redeyes posted:

Do you think an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter might work to keep the sleep sense on?
It comes down to the interface on the display. If that's not changing I wouldn't expect the behavior to change either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You may want to try setting a "custom" scaling level at the scaling level you already use, doing that on laptops where shutting the lid resets the resolution fixes that issue for some reason. So perhaps it works for monitors falsely detected as being removed.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So this update has started jacking my file association for .pdf, which I have set to SumatraPDF, and giving it back to Edge. If I change it it puts it back the next day and even gives me a popup saying the association caused a problem and it's putting it back, which is about as endearing as a dog looking proud that it did a poo poo on the kitchen floor.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lum posted:

So this update has started jacking my file association for .pdf, which I have set to SumatraPDF, and giving it back to Edge. If I change it it puts it back the next day and even gives me a popup saying the association caused a problem and it's putting it back, which is about as endearing as a dog looking proud that it did a poo poo on the kitchen floor.

Have you tried reinstalling Sumatra?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Check to make sure SumatraPDF is up to date. That usually fixes the issue.

Oh, and change the default though windows default settings, not in the SumatraPDF app.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

See I'm not quite on board with this explanation because:

a. I had zero issues with this in win7, or for the first 3 months of win10. I've had my current DP + DVI 2 monitor setup since the end of 2015, got win10 in Jun of 2016, and got my nvidia 1060 in Sept 2016. Until that last one, the only thing that was different with the DP monitor was that I couldn't hard power-off it like I could with my old 2 DVI setup.

b. For me, it doesn't happen every time the monitor sleeps. Maybe 1 in 10? If it was the monitor hardware, I'd expect that result much more consistently.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

a. I had zero issues with this in win7, or for the first 3 months of win10. I've had my current DP + DVI 2 monitor setup since the end of 2015, got win10 in Jun of 2016, and got my nvidia 1060 in Sept 2016. Until that last one, the only thing that was different with the DP monitor was that I couldn't hard power-off it like I could with my old 2 DVI setup.

b. For me, it doesn't happen every time the monitor sleeps. Maybe 1 in 10? If it was the monitor hardware, I'd expect that result much more consistently.

I'm getting it in 7, it's very consistent with my dvi screen and much less frequent with my hdmi one, but it never happened at all with my 750 ti, and the only thing I changed was the GPU to a 480 and swapping to AMD drivers. I kinda suspect drivers, because it's not like my monitors or cables changed.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried reinstalling Sumatra?

Yes, it was a fresh install of Windows, and sumatra downloaded today.

Sumatra doesn't show up in the default apps control panel any more.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

This sounds like you have a different problem which is likely either a failing cable or damaged hardware at one end or the other. The problem I'm discussing would definitely be consistent, happening every time the monitor is turned off.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Yes, it was a fresh install of Windows, and sumatra downloaded today.

Sumatra doesn't show up in the default apps control panel any more.

I don't remember it ever having an entry in Set Default Programs, but picking out its extensions in 'Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program' seems to work for me.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm giving Windows Sonic for Headphones a try, and there's one thing I immediately like:

It only turns on for audio streams with more than two channels.

You would think this would be a pretty simple concept: don't do virtual surround sound if the source is in stereo. Every solution I've tried prior to this has forced it on at all times, which makes stereo sound like garbage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trying a do-release-upgrade in the Ubuntu bash shell on my machine with Creators Update. I hope the upgrade goes fine on this one, didn't go well when I first tried some months ago on my other machine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This is kind of weird question, but does anyone know what happened to typing into windows start to use the search function? I'm way too used to hitting the windows key and typing in "Snipping Tool" "Firewall" "Updates" to quickly get around some programs and today it's just completely gone. I hit windows key and type and nothing happens. I see now there's buttons on the top left to switch from pinned apps to "All Apps" but the ability to use the search is gone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ularg posted:

This is kind of weird question, but does anyone know what happened to typing into windows start to use the search function? I'm way too used to hitting the windows key and typing in "Snipping Tool" "Firewall" "Updates" to quickly get around some programs and today it's just completely gone. I hit windows key and type and nothing happens. I see now there's buttons on the top left to switch from pinned apps to "All Apps" but the ability to use the search is gone.

You must have done something to Windows, because mine works that way just fine.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ularg posted:

Tried rebooting yet? If that doesn't fix it, there was some mention before of Cortana loving things up and you can try disabling her.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ularg posted:

This sounds stupid but kill explorer.exe with taskmanager, then restart it with taskmanager, File menu, run new task, explorer.exe. See if that works.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ularg posted:

What version (number, not edition) of Windows 10 are you using?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Huh, rebooting fixed it. I'll never understand what causes this stuff.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windows+S is the proper hotkey for Windows search, iirc. It's what I use anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Windows+S is the proper hotkey for Windows search, iirc. It's what I use anyway.

If typing directly in the Start menu isn't working I'll bet Win+S isn't either.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Ularg posted:

Huh, rebooting fixed it. I'll never understand what causes this stuff.
I still sometimes have the start menu & taskbar go completely unresponsive until I alt+f4 on desktop & restart, so could have just been something similar.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I had that happen and restarting Explorer didn't help, had to reboot

The start menu delay is probably the one thing that really bothers me about Windows 10 now. Not so much the delay as the fact it drops keypresses so your search ends up being 'rol panel' or whatever. Is there any way to make that more responsive, short of installing another tool to replace it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Boy, the Creators update really did a number on my display, first with the screen failing to display at all, then turning into a kaleidoscope of digital static, then only refreshing the screen in games when they weren't in focus, and now it seems to have settled down to normality apart from a couple of games suddenly having some horrendous screen tearing. I may have to reinstall my graphics driver, see if that fixes it.

I thought something was going to be off when the welcome screen at the end of the update process was offset by a hundred pixels and spilling onto my second monitor, and I wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Boy, the Creators update really did a number on my display, first with the screen failing to display at all, then turning into a kaleidoscope of digital static, then only refreshing the screen in games when they weren't in focus, and now it seems to have settled down to normality apart from a couple of games suddenly having some horrendous screen tearing. I may have to reinstall my graphics driver, see if that fixes it.

I thought something was going to be off when the welcome screen at the end of the update process was offset by a hundred pixels and spilling onto my second monitor, and I wasn't wrong.

Yeah, that sounds like a driver issue.