Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ytlaya posted:

I find that most people who criticize pop music for being too simple do not actually have the musical background to understand what constitutes musical complexity. I would actually go as far as claiming that pop music is, on average, more musically complex than most non-pop genres.

I might make an exception to this lyrically, but I can't count the number of times I've seen someone comment on how complex a song was despite it actually not being remotely more complicated than even simple pop music. Among the worst examples of this are people confusing "being in a minor key" or "involving acoustic guitar" as being inherently more complex than upbeat pop tunes.

Just to clarify, I was very much speaking lyrically because I am in no way qualified to speak on it instrumentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Goons saying "____ is for children" isn't the end-all be-all of an argument like a lot of y'all think it is

It's seriously the most lazy and :smug: you can say, and it's another part of the constant need that some goons have to prove that they are more mature, cultured, and cool than everyone else while posting on a loving internet forum like it's 1998

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I've always liked The Beach Boys or the zombies much more than the Beatles, but to deny the impact of the Beatles is silly. Paul McCartney was also always the best Beatle and anyone who doesn't like Wings is lying. I also like octopus's garden.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Das Boo posted:

I appreciate their historical significance, but I don't think it makes their music great. There are plenty of historically significant musicians that I can enjoy the music of without context.
Me So Horny is a terrible, but historically significant song. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a good song that is also historically significant. It's not the historical significance that makes the Beatles music great, it's that it's good music.

WampaLord posted:

Do you really not get how something like "I wanna hold your hand" seems dated?
No? That's just a good song. :confused:

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the genre of halsey and chainsmokers?
Electropop, apparently.

Grandmother of Five posted:

Isn't pop like a cross-genre thing that doesn't really describe anything about form or content? Like, genres can be broad and all, but something being labeled pop doesn't say anything about themes, style, commonly used instruments, or anything else. If something is popular or mainstream enough, people will start to consider it pop no matter what it is.
The whole concept of genre is nebulous and subjective.

The_Rob posted:

Paul McCartney was also always the best Beatle and anyone who doesn't like Wings is lying.
Wings was a perfectly acceptable band that made unobjectionable music. Ringo is the best Beatle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I've always liked The Beach Boys or the zombies much more than the Beatles, but to deny the impact of the Beatles is silly. Paul McCartney was also always the best Beatle and anyone who doesn't like Wings is lying. I also like octopus's garden.

The Beatles mostly are regarded as they are for the sheer amount of good albums they made and their evolution as a band. The Zombies were fantastic but they did a small handful of albums that were mostly interchangeable. Great band though. Oddessy and Oracle is one of the best albums of all time.

The Beach Boys get plenty of respect.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
One thing that really contrasts The Beatles to most of today's artists that impresses me when I think of it is that they put out 13 albums in 7 years. And they're all very listenable, most tracks you'll know, and a lot of them are hits or outright classics. That's a massive output of good music when a lot of bands these days manage one album every 3-5 years and it's one or two tracks per album that resonate.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Eleanor Rigby is the best Beatles song.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Again, Beatles are fine. I like them. I don't love them, I think they're great and I really don't think they're the greatest group of all time, as they're often regarded. So in that sense, yeah, I'm gonna think they're overrated.

e: Here, to steer away: The US has the worst man-made landmarks of any-drat-one.

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

The Beatles mostly are regarded as they are for the sheer amount of good albums they made and their evolution as a band. The Zombies were fantastic but they did a small handful of albums that were mostly interchangeable. Great band though. Oddessy and Oracle is one of the best albums of all time.

Zombies only ever did two albums - they did Begin Here with "She's Not There" as the hit single, then they couldn't follow it up so they split, then they got back together a couple of years later to do Oddessy and Oracle because the record company asked them to, then they split up after that for about 30 years.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The best song by The Beatles is Revolution 9.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

veni veni veni posted:

No one is required to like The Beatles, it's fine to not be into it, but when some one claims they are terrible I just assume they are dumb and not worth listening to about anything. It's just such a teenage edgelord statement.

Exactly. I don't like Bob Dylan but I still recognize that he's a great songwriter and I understand why people love him.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
To mix things up: the best Queen song is My Melancholy Blues.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Music is for children. I only listen to the natural Helmholtz resonance of karst caves played backwards.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I record fancy farting sounds and play them backwards to find the hidden messages. (They're in there!)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I record fancy farting sounds and play them backwards to find the hidden messages. (They're in there!)

Well, they're technically out of there, but I get your meaning.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I only listen to psycho house trance anti pop noise sock. Not that you plebs would know anything about that sort of thing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I only listen

to you

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't like concerts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't like concerts.

Me either. Way too loud, I get better sound quality at home.
Unless it's a civilized assigned-seating concert like going to see Sigur Ros or an orchestra or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My opinion is that while it did have some very funny lines, the "Paedo-Geddon" special from Brass Eye merited at least some of the criticism it received.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the genre of halsey and chainsmokers? That's bad. Also why do music videos look like fragrance ads now.

Alt Pop.

Also Halsey is good but the Chainsmokers blow butt chunks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't like concerts.

Concerts in venues that hold more than ~700 people are too big, and stadium shows are just pointless. Festivals get a pass, sort of, if they are organized well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like outdoor shows. Sound get some lost and sounds messy. I used to be Ina couple of jazz orchestras which played outside a lot and never enjoyed it - you talk about a room having bad acoustics but at least it has acoustics.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Only contemporary concerts I've been to I've really enjoyed were at an indoor venue, no seating and probably <500 people. Just really cool, energetic and intimate. Orchestral I can enjoy no matter what or where.

Possible unpopular opinion: I love plays but I hate going to see them. I radio in on the closest sounds so theater speech gets lost real fast on me.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Selfdriving cars are way, way further off than anyone thinks. In 10 years we might have cars that can drive in good weather conditions on good, well-mapped roads, but still need a human to take over as soon as it rains or something unexpected happens. Maybe. But a car that can actually drive itself in any condition that a human can drive, and do it better than a human, so that a human can go to sleep and wake up at their destination, is at least the better part of a century away. Nobody reading this thread will see it in their lifetime.

Other things that are science fiction bullshit: virtual reality, bioprinted organs, stem cell medicine, nanomachines, space exploration, "personalized medicine", clean energy, automation, artificial intelligence, designer babies, cyborg prosthetics that you can control with your brain, "regenerative medicine"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Neuromancer is the most accurate representation of future society. Capitalism plus technology is inevitably going to lead to an underclass that is, through the machinations of the wealthy class, dependent upon cheap services and addictive diversions that leads to semi permanent stratification imposed by corporate authorities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blue Star posted:

Other things that are science fiction bullshit: virtual reality, bioprinted organs, stem cell medicine, nanomachines, space exploration, "personalized medicine", clean energy, automation, artificial intelligence, designer babies, cyborg prosthetics that you can control with your brain, "regenerative medicine"
Several of those things already exist/happen though?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Blue Star is a low level troll.

Jastiger posted:

Neuromancer is the most accurate representation of future society. Capitalism plus technology is inevitably going to lead to an underclass that is, through the machinations of the wealthy class, dependent upon cheap services and addictive diversions that leads to semi permanent stratification imposed by corporate authorities.

Future societies, sounds pretty accurate to what is going on now.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Reese's peanut butter cups and pieces are disgusting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It tastes like a sugar paste with a teaspoon of peanut butter mixed in

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Reese's peanut butter cups and pieces are disgusting.

This is where I draw the line.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pieces are good (but very sweet), but the cups leave a sickening aftertaste that doesn't go away until you brush your teeth or eat foods and drinks that diminish the bad aftertaste.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you have to power through the terrible chocolate taste by nibbling around the edges, then you get the one good mostly peanut butter bite

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Idiocracy is more true than we want to believe re: breeding.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pls/. tell me about your breeding opinions

Or rather dont

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sweet sweets are great because you don't have to eat much. Two mini Reese's cups and I'm set for the day.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

you have to power through the terrible chocolate taste by nibbling around the edges, then you get the one good mostly peanut butter bite

I once got one of these at Big Lots because I'd never seen them before, but it was miles above Reece's.

The chocolate actually tastes like chocolate and not barf!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's actually possible that the chocolate in Reese's cups isn't even chocolate anymore. I forget what they're making it out of but apparently a lot of candy bars these days are made with some kind of oil concoction that tastes about like chocolate and a poo poo load of sugar. It's much cheaper and we as Americans are disgusting pigs that just buy whatever is cheapest and sweetest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

patonthebach posted:

Stripes and Full Metal Jacket are the same movie in which the first half is brilliant and the second half is garbage.

Second half of FMJ is better than the first by far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Second half of FMJ is better than the first by far

Correct. The first half is remembered so much because it contains so many memorable lines, but the second half is the one with a solid, powerful story.