Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Please save some indirect fire for the night phase in case they are betting on us using up all our artillery shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

7 "Division" Orders

HQ: No new orders (for the rest of the war probably).

Artillery: If you have any fire missions left, save them for support unless you are accessing the psychic network / shadow world / morphogenetic field to determine where the enemy is. Hold position.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can anyone think of a way to deal with those Germans north of the 23rd and 24th? Otherwise, I'm thinking of just telling everyone to sit down and wait to be charged.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

IMO there's nothing to be done other than wait for it. If we send anyone over there then we're at a major disadvantage, and artillery can only do so much. It's their objective to attack west, so they are forced to do so at some point.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I've got a brigade of heavy artillery and more ammunition than I know what to deal with. Those germans in North Effyaders are about to have a Bad Time.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Updating this for the turn, see :siren:sirens:siren:

Now with maps!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

:siren:NO KNOWN CAVALRY ON FIELD

:siren:
Known active Infantry Brigades: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
Possible Infantry Brigades: n/a

:siren:

2nd Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known in M2 ford trenches at 2-43
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Kills Istvun
Brigade HQ retreats during Mon Pere charge
Kills Mon Pere
Last spotted 3 MGs & 1 TM in M2 ford trenches, ~3 Infantry chits somewhere in rear with Brigade HQ during evening/night of Day 2
Assisted routing mllaneza
Potentially received reinforcement chits at Day 3

4th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known somewhere in Effyaders Forest as of 2-42
First spotted approaching on M1 road on Day 2
Gained 5 infantry and 1 MG from 1st Infantry Brigade - 125% strength
Assisted routing mllaneza
Last spotted along eastern edge of Effyaders Forest as of 2-42

5th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known somewhere in Effyaders Forest as of 2-43
First spotted just west of M2 trench line during Day 2 night
Lost ~3 infantry chits during 21st Bde attack, number of chits retreat while suppressed
Routed mllaneza
Potentially received reinforcement chits at Day 3
:siren: Suspected to be 8th Infantry Brigade, see below

:siren:6th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last spotted entrenched in northwest corner of Effyaders Forest
First spotted approaching western edge of Effyaders Forest during Day 2 night with advance scouts
Unclear whether same unit as 5th Infantry - does not appear to have battle damage from fight with mllaneza
Loses MG and infantry chit in early afternoon Day 3

7th Infantry Brigade - ALIVE, last known on sunken road south of Stethoscope 3-21
First spotted heading south on sunken road during Day 3 morning
Lost 5 infantry and 1 MG, Brigade HQ forced to retreat suppressed on 3-20
Kills Effigies

:siren:8th (5th) Infantry Brigade? - ALIVE, last known retreating towards southeastern tip of Effyaders Forest 3-31
First spotted morning of Day 3 entering trenches at southeastern tip of Effyaders Forest
Suspected to be same as 5th Infantry Brigade spotted evening of Day 2
Aborted attack on central trenches afternoon Day 3...down to 3 infantry chits, 3 MGs, suspected 1 TM

:siren:'Taillis Nord Brigade' - ALIVE, last spotted just east of Stethoscope 3-31
First spotted 3-23, appears to be heading east
Spotted: 4 infantry, 1 mg, 2 TMs, Brigade HQ
Approximately 60 inches from M2 ford (7.5 turns of movement) when spotted at Taillis Nord
Suspected to have captured/killed Bacarudda's HQ
:siren:Currently just east of Stethoscope, apparently moving west (not shown on map)
Possible IDs: 2nd, 4th, or 5th Inf Brigade after damage from overnight bombardment???

'Lone Chit', last known on M1 road due north of Firme Inutille 3-23
First spotted on 3-23 overview map, no further info

UNASSOCIATED EVIDENCE
New trenches spotted on west side of M1 ford on morning of Day 3 (3-19)
Big enough for ~18 infantry chits and ~2 TMs in rear
Possibly associated with 4th or 5th Inf Brigade???

:siren:1st Artillery - ALIVE, last spotted along southeastern edge of Effyaders Forest 3-24
Includes 10cm howitzers
First spotted firing from Ferme Inutille on Day 2
Still located at Ferme Inutille in afternoon of Day 2
One artillery chit spotted at 2-35 to the north of Ferme Inutille...may be heading to road for relocation
One 10cm howitzer spotted 3-24 firing from southeastern edge of Effyaders Forest
Potentially damaged by counterbattery fire

:siren:2nd Artillery - ALIVE, last known west of Stethoscope 3-24
First spotted by scout plane between Stethoscope and Tallis Douche in afternoon of Day 2
Only includes 7.7cm FKs
Still located in trench line between Stethoscope and Taillis Douche 3-24

'Heavy Cart'
Heard towards end of Day 2/3 night around Ferme Chatte moving west
Suspected to be super-heavy artillery, no further information

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in south on 2-35, likely built southern bridge cross. Whereabouts unknown.

1x Cavalry Engineer chit spotted in rear around M1/M2 fords...may be setting up bridge in north. Whereabouts unknown.

:rip:THE DEAD:rip:

1st Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Routed by SixKiller and XtheTenth

2nd Cavalry Brigade - UNKNOWN ROUTED, merged with 5th Cavalry Brigade
First spotted Day 1 at Stethoscope
Retreats with heavy damage after attack by XtheTenth
Spotted crossing M5 center ford toward Effyaders Forest on Day 2
Possibly 2nd Cavalry Brigade with overnight cavalry chit reinforcements - missing full MG complement
Retreats suppressed after attempting to charge Mon Pere
Routed by indirect artillery fire at M2 ford

3rd Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted approaching Stethoscope on Day 1
Kills XtheTenth
Suspected to have stayed in Bois de Blob overnight
Routed by mllaneza and Effigies in Bois de Blob

4th Cavalry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted heading north from M7 fords towards center defenses on Day 2
Routed by mllaneza and Mon Pere

1st Infantry Brigade - KILLED
First spotted crossing M2 ford on Day 2
Brigade HQ killed by Istvun...remaining MG and infantry retreat across M2 ford and join up with 4th Infantry Brigade

3rd Infantry Brigade - ROUTED
First spotted crossing southern Bridge on Day 2
Routed by Effigies and indirect artillery

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 8, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well, that was surprising

edit:

professor_curly posted:

Lenoon

Lenoon

Lenoon

Why are you a loving precog?!?!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I mean, there's only a few places the boche guns could even possibly be if they were capable of counter batterying you. We could pre-emptively bombard them, if you're so worried (At the cost of precious, precious, indirect fire rounds).

lenoon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 8, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Trin, is Bacarruda's chit still alive?

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 8, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

Trin, is Bacarruda's chit still alive?

Should be.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

Should be.

Since the inquisition has just walked past you without spotting you, I think it might be time for ninja Bac, round two.

e: Oh, poo poo, you're in La Dand, lmao

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Guys, are you OK with sending this as a message to the enemy team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQraeOG-3L8

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Why is he in la dand though we couldn't figure that out in roll20

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Matches the trajectory on orders given by Loel, so I guess that counted as emergency orders since Bac didn't make any for a while. I am certainly not complaining about that. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Bwahahaha, my absurdly optimistic orders came through :D

Not seeing any major changes. Shuffle the trenches a bit, consult the precogs, use arty IDF if you can make a convincing case. We're mostly waiting for them to put their arm in the woodchipper.

Also, plz put in requests for where you want the reinforcing brigades, and what trenches you have for them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We need to see what happens next, I guess.
Since we've got the North mostly secured, I'd go with a deployment in the South, maybe also a push to retake the trench on the other side of the ford.

Alternatively, operation "gently caress it MK2" to take back the forest.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, we need officers for the new division. Step right up, step right up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

professor_curly posted:

I've got a brigade of heavy artillery and more ammunition than I know what to deal with. Those germans in North Effyaders are about to have a Bad Time.

They're in trenches, though, so they will mostly be suppressed. We should have the northern brigade go over the top, walk across no man's land, and bayonet them while they're still shell-shocked. Something like, two turns arty fire, turn 3 brigade attacks. The arty can shift to bombard the forest in case anyone else is sneaking up.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If there are no other players that haven't had a go yet that would like to, I will apply for either division or brigade commander.

My current command is just telling lenoon to fire the gun so I'm sure I can manage the extra work.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sullat posted:

They're in trenches, though, so they will mostly be suppressed. We should have the northern brigade go over the top, walk across no man's land, and bayonet them while they're still shell-shocked. Something like, two turns arty fire, turn 3 brigade attacks. The arty can shift to bombard the forest in case anyone else is sneaking up.

Friendly reminder that I'm not a whole brigade, I think I have 8 infantry, an MG and a command chit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Does the new Division have three Brigades? If so my suggestion is:

One Brigade marches north form a second line immediately behind the Nth in preparation for:
Case A: repulsing an enemy push
OR
Case B: advancing through our lines to clear the forest after artillery preparation.

while

two Brigades deploy South and march directly East.
One Brigade halts directly south of artillery park and entrenches, blocking path south of Bois de Blob. Engineer constructs wire/roadblock obstructions to aid.
Second Brigade marches to join the existing trenches in Bois de Blob. Allows already present unit ability to move north to spot for artillery effectiveness.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Loel posted:

Also, we need officers for the new division. Step right up, step right up.

I think I am ready for round two.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Staff, plz make a list of the commanders, first come first serve.

New division, think about how you want to be deployed. Current ideas:

Plan A: Reinforce the line, plug gaps
Plan B: Retake Effyaders
Plan C: Southern Advance to La Dand

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

A is the only sane plan. We can't do anything until they attack unless we have solid intel on where they are weak.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For OpSec purposes my Roll20 username is Arquinsiel.

As for who wants commands and things, I have largely just been reading Trin's posts to catch up with the situation but on this page alone

Sixkiller and AbortRetryFail have both expressed interest.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd really appreciate the north gap getting plugged a bit. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stop their advance once the rain starts and spotting gets weird.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I can bomb it to poo poo. Who draws the short straw to clear it out afterward, and do we worry they're about to attack?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Not really much we can do to plug it while it's full of Germans. The defender has the advantage here, no reason to give that up.

For the record:

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division

23rd, 24th, 25th: Hold position, feel free to move around a bit if you think there's a formation that'll better defend your current location.

Artillery: Use your judgement to decide where best to put your shells, but be prepared to drop everything and start direct fire if the Germans try to wriggle out of the forest along the northern edge of the map.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im currently thinking spreading out the division evenly, north center south, while we wait and see where the boche want to focus.

Make sure the new troops have trenches ready for them

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Provisional Division command structure as culled from chat and the last page or so:

Divisional Commander: AbortRetryFail.
Infantry Brigades: Sixkiller, Slim Jim Pickens, Arquinsiel.
Artillery Brigade: amalgamated under command of professor_curly.

Pending objections and Corps approval.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Works for me. New officers, find out where you are entering the battlefield, and coordinate on strengthening the line

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A suggestion to have the two pieces of artillery in the front trench pull back to join the rest of the artillery and then put wire in the front trench.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

Im currently thinking spreading out the division evenly, north center south, while we wait and see where the boche want to focus.

Make sure the new troops have trenches ready for them

We're not in dire need of troops anywhere. I think we can just put 1 infantry brigade and 1 artillery brigade in the Blob/South, and that'll be enough for the day.

Here's my proposal. The big rectangles are reasonable positions for our brigades on the defense. The big aura is the range of the Steth arty park.

Note, we only need about 5 brigades to cover the entire frontline. We're going to have 6 brigades by tomorrow.

In the north, we will need to clear out and entrench the NW corner of Effyaders. We will want to send at least one brigade there.

What about the other brigade? Well, we have a total surfeit of men, even after our wasteful Southern attack. We should at least attempt to probe into Effyaders, because we don't want to be stuck defending against ghosts if the Boche attack somewhere else, days, or months, into the future.

In Effyaders woods, at night, the Germans have lots of disadvantages. Their brigades are geared for shooting engagements, ours are big infantry blocks. The German artillery has been hit hard over the course of the day, and have spent a lot of ammunition already. Artillery can't fire into melee anyways, and in the night, ambush rules no longer apply.

Those trenches we can see right now, are most likely unoccupied, at least of this moment. They aren't in a useful place for the Germans, and unless Effyaders is absolutely teeming with soldiers, they have no reason to be garrisoning those backlines.

I propose that the next night, we launch a two-brigade attack into Effyaders with the goal of sweeping through the Germans in the NW, before changing formations into something like this:

With pickets and poo poo, one brigade will keep advancing into Effyaders and try to drop into those Eastern Trenches with orders to retreat if we find lots of infantry. If the Germans are there, well, we'll take a few chits of casualties and retreat. If they're weak, we can burst into their trenches and slaughter them, occupy their trenches, shoot their artillery, and collapse their position with the rest of our troops next turn.

We shouldn't attack South. The river is a bitch, and the Germans most definitely have a brigade occupying those nice trenches we dug and abandoned. Their big central arty park is sitting ready, and crossing the river means we lose the ambush bonus. Without heavy artillery, there's no point attacking.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The trenches across the river is what I thought the Germans made.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ill prolly be home in an hour or two, lets cook something up since we are getting all these nice troops here shortly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When are the new brigades arriving? Guess we should wait till they get here before moving. We haven't let the enemy in Effyaders rest, so they should be getting really tired.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I believe this round.

K, since we have a bit of breathing space (next update Monday), I wanted to get some paperwork knocked out.

Staff

What are our units? What brigades are still existing, and where are they? What casualties are they at? What is their fatigue level? Are there any units we need to prioritize for pulling out of the front line? What is our artillery ammo situation? Where are we getting reinforcements, and how fast can they reach the front line?

Officers

What is our current order of battle? Who are the division commanders, and of what assets? Please include the new division as well. Do we need to consolidate any commands? Do any officers want to trade posts with Staff? Division commanders, do we need to rearrange which brigades are answering to which general?

I know we've been throwing units at fires as needed, but the front line seems to be stabilizing. Lets formalize some commands with it.

edit:

Courtesy of Prof Curly:

New deployment for discussion:

Sixkiller point one
Slim Jim point two
Arquiensel point three
ProfCurly gets more arty in the trenches

Combined map

General Directive

Secure the line
, details being developed in chat.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

To help keep command of the units within my command radius and keep a fresh brigade on the center of the south here's my counter-offer of vague not 100% accurate magenta arrows.

Brigade one and two reinforce our trench and cover the southern part of effyaders, and we move Sullat's brigade to the Southern edge of the map. 7th Division artillery retires to a support role and ceases counter-battery for now.

Brigade three plugs the Northern hole.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That does look prettier, I will admit. :D

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Comedy option: Send all 3 brigades into Stethoscope

Adbot