Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

nielsm posted:

Love Kome was bad, not worth the 4 minutes.

Love Tyrant (Ren'ai Boukun) was okay. Very much dumb reference humor, but it worked well enough for the first episode.

Love Tyrant has the best OP of the season so far, though.

Also, I hope someone starts a thread for it if they haven't already. This seems like the kind of thing that will benefit from the Netoge treatment (ie. people who understand the references pointing them out- the only reason I recognized the "Nii-chan get out of the way or I can't kill her" thing was because it came up in Netoge as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Love Tyrant has the best OP of the season so far, though.

Also, I hope someone starts a thread for it if they haven't already. This seems like the kind of thing that will benefit from the Netoge treatment (ie. people who understand the references pointing them out- the only reason I recognized the "Nii-chan get out of the way or I can't kill her" thing was because it came up in Netoge as well).

And the puns (解釈 -->kaishaku --> kai-shark)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Nobody else here is going to like Eromanga-Sensei, since it hits on just about every plot element people love to hate, but I think it's got potential.

spaceflower and orv like it because they're weird perverts

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Alright, an update on the first seasonal stream. Turns out Kenka Banchou Otome and Room Mate air next week so they'll show up in the stream on the 15th. Love Kome is a short so I've just slotted that in as a replacement. The stream is still taking place tomorrow, Sunday, April 9th at 4:00PM CST. The schedule, in order:

(Short) Cinderella Girls Gekijou
(Short) Love Kome
(Short) The sexy monk show (Bonus! 2 eps instead of one!!!)
Frame Arms Girl
Laughing Salesman NEW
Granblue Fantasy
Armed Girls Machiavellianism
Re:CREATORS
Sakura Quest
Boruto
Sagrada Reset
Clockwork Planet
Kabukibu
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Eromanga-sensei
Alice to Zokuroku

Stream will be here as usual, but I'll also post a link here and in the livestream thread as the stream is about to start.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

spaceflower and orv like it because they're weird perverts

It's true

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dessel posted:

I knew I was going to get poo poo on for this, but no, I did not imply deconstruction as it would mean it's actively engaging what anime is. While I can appreciate anime with tropes and cliches included, Episode 0 had a refreshing lack of stereotypical anime poo poo in it and Episode 1 had a total mood whiplash. I know live action is a choice, but I can appreciate a show that considers animation just a delivery method, not a stylistic choice, especially as it can be used to deliver stories on a budget that would be extremely campy or limited otherwise.

The words you are looking for are "unconventional," "non-typical".

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The local theater airing Your Name in Philly is doing it for just a week apparently :(

On the plus side, I'm going to see it tomorrow with a friend! I managed to avoid seeing the online rip when it was first released so I'm super excited.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
This japanese animated show is anti-japanese animation

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

This japanese animated show is anti-japanese animation

Victory Gundam was a pretty wild ride, yeah.

Though I guess that technically, it was more anti-itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

victory gundam was anti-being good

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

Dubbed or subbed?

I watched both. The dub is perfectly fine, but I prefer the sub since the dub has to switch the great pronoun gag to something generic. They also keep all the sign translations exactly the same between the two, and Taki telling Mitsuha to drop her dialect doesn't make much sense in the dub.

They said all the astronomy words right though!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

victory gundam was anti-being good

Probably literally, since Tomino has heavily implied he was trying to sabotage it, and begs people not to buy it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I saw it dubbed.

How was the dub? The theater i saw it at did a piss-poor job of telling me what version i was buying tickets for and while i got the one i wanted (subs) we literally had no idea up until walking up to that theater and seeing 3 Your Name (Japanese) 1:40 .

I guess i'll cross-post this since i got all excited and posted in the cineD animation thread:

I thought it was great, and even something of as a self admitted Shinkai fanboy it turned out to be better than i had hoped. Even while revisiting his familiar themes of loss and longing through time and distance he really was firing on all cylinders for this one. It was the first time i've seen one of his works in the theater and man, seeing his colors on direction on the big screen was worth every penny. The theater was somewhere between half and three quarters full, which seems decent for a subtitled anime movie afternoon matinee.

Some of the animation sequences were just :eyepop:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Strange Quark posted:

I watched both. The dub is perfectly fine, but I prefer the sub since the dub has to switch the great pronoun gag to something generic.

Ooh I was wondering how they were going to handle that one. What did they turn it into?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Y'know, I might go watch it in a nearby theater tomorrow. As the resident Shinkai-hater, I will be sure to let you all know know what I thought.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The dub was pretty good, I could tell that one or two puns were being lost in translation, but everyone played their parts well.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Araki posted:

Ooh I was wondering how they were going to handle that one. What did they turn it into?

Something like "There's a girl... a gal... I mean... a guy?"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
berserk is kinda hosed up and exploitative but it also has luca, who actively works to make the world a better place for her and the refugees

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Why is there no siren next to Shingeki no Bahamut . Was the first season not good enough for you , OP?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LolitaSama posted:

Why is there no siren next to Shingeki no Bahamut . Was the first season not good enough for you , OP?

It's good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anybody watching Kyoukai no Rinne?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dessel posted:

I knew I was going to get poo poo on for this, but no, I did not imply deconstruction as it would mean it's actively engaging what anime is. While I can appreciate anime with tropes and cliches included, Episode 0 had a refreshing lack of stereotypical anime poo poo in it and Episode 1 had a total mood whiplash. I know live action is a choice, but I can appreciate a show that considers animation just a delivery method, not a stylistic choice, especially as it can be used to deliver stories on a budget that would be extremely campy or limited otherwise.

Ah, gotcha.

...Kind of like the Ghost in the Shell movie / SAC, or Cowboy Bebop - they're anime, but they aren't the usual range of YA fiction with moe highschoolers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

piss

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

a kitten posted:

It's good.

Do I need to watch the first season to watch the second, because this gif is very cute.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dessel posted:

I wish you'd walk into some anti-matter and disappear LMAO

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Do I need to watch the first season to watch the second, because this gif is very cute.

I didn't watch the first either, and I decided to just dive in anyway. I believe a lot of the cast is back, but it's set 10 years after the first one so it's not picking up after a cliffhanger or something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LolitaSama posted:

the sirens don't matter

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Watch the first season it's good! gosh!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Watch the first season it's good! gosh!

It's true, everyone needs more afro in their lives.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm saving the new season til I get around to the first one, I watched 3 episodes and thought it was great but it got buried in the backlog and never finished it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tomorrow's stream may be cancelled if my internet isn't fixed. :/

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
N-no, I finally got the day off for streaming...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

N-no, I finally got the day off for streaming...

4pm is late enough I would hope a fix is possible in time, i will just have to upload as fast as i can and pray to google they process quickly

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

4pm is late enough I would hope a fix is possible in time, i will just have to upload as fast as i can and pray to google they process quickly

Make Dryzen host the videos for you.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

when it wasn't the obvious brosiscon scenes it was actually genuinely funny

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

By the way, if you have watched the first season of Rage of the Bahamut, you may still have missed the two shorts. Nothing major, just nice character moments.

They're on youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDoU6AXQRw

No subs though. If you want those you can download them from the usual anime torrent place and use these sub files

https://mega.nz/#!IkEnhSxa!r9ihsTdwjURXGLQyaWDuXSQcSyL32pf6Yzge3HsM3gY

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm actually pretty mad about the twist in Your Name. which is a shame because the rest of the movie was good. The current year is written everywhere. At the very least, it's written on every classroom chalkboard in Japan. And there's no way in hell that they wouldn't have tried texting each other when they first exchanged numbers. It wound up feeling way too forced.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

blastron posted:

I'm actually pretty mad about the twist in Your Name. which is a shame because the rest of the movie was good. The current year is written everywhere. At the very least, it's written on every classroom chalkboard in Japan. And there's no way in hell that they wouldn't have tried texting each other when they first exchanged numbers. It wound up feeling way too forced.

Eh, they can barely remember the switch is a thing every time it happens. It's not that surprising that tertiary information like the year wouldn't make the jump both ways.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

blastron posted:

Its maybe a bit flimsy but the switching is "dreamlike" according to the characters. So I can see details being forgotten afterwards, and while the swapping is happening not noticing such things because you don't really question the small stuff while dreaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also: shinto musubi magic

• Locked thread