Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Enjoy getting swept by the Caps I guess, Leafs fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sidney Crosby should be removed from all MVP consideration for that sad rear end one timer attempt.

yellowcar posted:

Enjoy getting swept by the Caps I guess, Leafs fans.

They can also get swept by Ottawa if they win tomorrow.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Playoff sweep still means playoff experience for the kids, so it's cool. Just don't lose 10-1 four times in a row I guess.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I don't care if we get swept. IT'S KAPANEN :siren:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would very much enjoy the Leafs being swept by the Capitals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DuhSal posted:

Playoff sweep still means playoff experience for the kids, so it's cool. Just don't lose 10-1 four times in a row I guess.

Ya post season games are like double xp and the rookies will level up faster

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Leafs only need a point tomorrow to avoid the Caps. I'd rather play the Leafs and their lovely defense than the Bruins so go Jackets.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go Leafs Jackets Caps Sharks Hawks Preds and Oilers. Rip avs and cats

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya post season games are like double xp and the rookies will level up faster

Funny but you don't think playoff experience means anything?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

Bolts/Isles winning and the Leafs losing their next game would make for an exciting Sunday finale, which means the Leafs will win on Saturday because the most fun option never happens.

I hate being right sometimes. :smith:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Are the Wild good again? Or are they still playing very poorly?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Leafs only need a point tomorrow to avoid the Caps. I'd rather play the Leafs and their lovely defense than the Bruins so go Jackets.

Yeah it'd be shocking if the Caps didn't steamroll the Leafs but I could see the Bruins giving them a hard time.

That game was a master class in trolling by the Pens. They gave each potential playoff team some hope at different times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DuhSal posted:

If it does Dominic Moore is about to poo poo all over Holtby or Anderson.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Go Leafs Jackets Caps Sharks Hawks Preds and Oilers. Rip avs and cats

no maybe yes no no yes no and :same:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DuhSal posted:

No, not really. It's just another one of those things the talking heads and Old Time Hockey guys think is a real thing that matters and predicts success.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I guess we can now throw up a playoff thread for good teams that win and make the playoffs. And the Wild.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I'm also happy to see Matthews score his 40th and Kapanen score their first.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Operation: Worst to First engage.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I guess we can now throw up a playoff thread for good teams that win and make the playoffs. And the Wild.

Hey now, there's still one more regular season day to go, let's hold off first until we at least know all 8 series.

Currently, there are 4 confirmed series. Rangers-Habs, Pens-Jackets, Wild-Blues and Hawks-Preds. If Oilers win tonight then there will be 3 games that matter tomorrow playoff-wise (Leafs-Jackets, Oilers-Canucks, Ducks-Kings).

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, not really. It's just another one of those things the talking heads and Old Time Hockey guys think is a real thing that matters and predicts success.

I don't think it guarantees success but I think there's value in a player going through the playoffs. Doesn't mean it overtakes talent when comparing players but I think there's at least a little truth to it being beneficial. But I've been wrong before and will be again.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Have fun LAS, I'm disappointed I don't get a Steve Dangle meltdown video, but there's still hope that Washington do what they did last year and play down before remembering they won the President's Trophy in game 7.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
wc2 @ caps
jackets @ pens

rangers @ habs
a3 @ sens

bruins/leafs as a3/wc2. leafs move into ac3 with a point tomorrow, otherwise its leafs@caps bruins@sens

preds @ hawks
blues @ wild

flames @ p1
p3 @ p2

ducks cinch p1 if they get a point against the kings tomorrow or oilers don't win out. oilers cinch at the worst p2 with one point in two games against the canucks. sharks will be either p2/p3 depending on how the oilers finish

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Have fun LAS, I'm disappointed I don't get a Steve Dangle meltdown video, but there's still hope that Washington do what they did last year and play down before remembering they won the President's Trophy in game 7.

Don't worry the meltdown is just delayed for a little while longer.

Repeating 2013 again is gonna be great.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DuhSal posted:

I don't think it guarantees success but I think there's value in a player going through the playoffs. Doesn't mean it overtakes talent when comparing players but I think there's at least a little truth to it being beneficial. But I've been wrong before and will be again.

If theres a benefit its minimal.

If experience mattered to a significant degree the Red Wings would have been making relatively deep runs every year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leafs are actually Atlantic 3rd right now. They drop without a point.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Aphrodite posted:

Leafs are actually Atlantic 3rd right now. They drop without a point.

theyre only a3 because they have the same points as the bruins with fewer games. they lose the tiebreaker

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

fits posted:

theyre only a3 because they have the same points as the bruins with fewer games. they lose the tiebreaker

The NHL standings' first tie-breaker is fewer games played.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The NHL standings' first tie-breaker is fewer games played.

No he's saying if the Leafs lose in regulation tomorrow, they'll drop back down to the last WC spot. Boston has a higher ROW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fits posted:

Yeah, I was just pointing it out because it's a weird tiebreaker quirk right now.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

Don't worry the meltdown is just delayed for a little while longer.

Repeating 2013 again is gonna be great.

I can't imagine too many people melting down this year but I guess it's possible. If you have a taste of the playoffs you might get carried away. I think the full meltdown will take place 2 years from now when the Leafs lose game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I think getting an experience of the instant crowd noise completely balls-to-walls action (more than they did before) would be something that beneficial.

I'm just happy our team went form last to play off spot full of people under 21 with actually talent. Next year will be an more awesome.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DuhSal posted:

I can't imagine too many people melting down this year but I guess it's possible. If you have a taste of the playoffs you might get carried away. I think the full meltdown will take place 2 years from now when the Leafs lose game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

A good chunk of the fanbase actually believe they'll win the Cup this year.

Besides, I was referring to Dangle who has the best meltdowns. :v:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Playoff experience is mostly learning how much you can cheat once the games matter and the refs become loathe to make calls

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'm fully on the caps bandwagon now. It's gonna be weird agreeing with mind taker

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

A Hawks-Habs final is the only thing I will accept this year. Anything less will be considered a failure.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

A good chunk of the fanbase actually believe they'll win the Cup this year.

Really? lol. I don't read comment sections or listen to radio shows (and Leafs fans I know aren't saying it), so I have no idea but I find that really hard to believe. People need some loving perspective if that's actually true.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DuhSal posted:

Really? lol. I don't read comment sections or listen to radio shows (and Leafs fans I know aren't saying it), so I have no idea but I find that really hard to believe. People need some loving perspective if that's actually true.

It's an extremely scientific survey of my very pro-Leafs hometown done in: my place of work and strangers I meet and talk to in public. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm happy for LAS :3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
IMHO, the absolute, definitive ceiling the Maple Leafs will have this postseason is the ECF, and that's only if they get a point tomorrow. I have no delusion in thinking we'd get past against any team in the Metropolitan Division.

In fact, :toxx: if the Toronto Maple Leafs make the 2017 Stanley Cup Final, I will fly to Toronto from Austin to watch Games 4-7 (almost certainly at Maple Leaf Square) :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DuhSal posted:

Do you not leave your house? I can walk down any street in the GTA and meet rabid delusional Leafs fans thinking Matthews makes McDavid look like a 3rd liner and that the team is built for a back to back to back Cup run starting this year.

Also the delusion gets worse the further into the burbs you go. By the time you hit Barrie.. well, lets not look into that abyss. :cry:

• Locked thread