Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

With both shows being on the same network, not having a crossover of some kind will be deeply weird. That said, there was an interview today of Jeb saying it's not likely.

Yakmouth fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's like the TV division is looking at all the success of the movies and going "yea, we don't want to do that" because people always lose their poo poo when other characters are referred in the films, so not doing it within the TV shows seems weird.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

Nope! So all those reports I've heard of poor action scenes and Jones' unconvincing fighting aren't true?

It is all subject to ones opinion, but a number of fights are pretty good. The thing that wrecks a number of fight scenes are the endless cuts.

It isn't that Finn jones has unconvincing fighting. It is that he is not good in this role. Everyone else in the series is great, but jones drags it down.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

It's like the TV division is looking at all the success of the movies and going "yea, we don't want to do that" because people always lose their poo poo when other characters are referred in the films, so not doing it within the TV shows seems weird.
That or management doesn't want to spend extra money in paying actors for showing up on different shows?

Mr Hootington posted:

It is all subject to ones opinion, but a number of fights are pretty good. The thing that wrecks a number of fight scenes are the endless cuts.

It isn't that Finn jones has unconvincing fighting. It is that he is not good in this role. Everyone else in the series is great, but jones drags it down.
Finn might even learn how to fight better if he was AOS

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Why would they? Did any of the Netflix poo poo get mentioned on Agents of Shield?

No, but Daredevil had a couple minor AOS nods (one of the biker gangs first appeared on AOS and Matt and Daisy went to the same orphanage).

Mr Hootington posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back. Finn is by far the worst part of Iron Fist, but I hesitate to call anything from it "good" and definitely not "great".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair to Jones, he was used to GoT being a professional operation where fight choreography is done weeks in advance and reshot and reshot until it's done right. Iron Fist, by all accounts, he showed up on set, had a stunt coordinator show him the moves once and then got told to shoot it and not gently caress up.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I disagree. I think Finn was perfect as the Western gently caress-up who just happens to know kung-fu and is AWOL from his actual duty, which is guarding Kun Lun. The entire point of the show is that Danny is the worst. That's how I choose to interpret the show, anyway.

I enjoyed Colleen's fight scenes for the most part. The swordwork was legitimately interesting in that she mixed Japanese and Chinese techniques in a fairly unique way that I hadn't really seen before. She also uses her butt to disrupt a charging opponent and create space during a fight. Danny's fights were pretty disappointing and it seemed obvious they were covering for Finn's lack of training. It definitely seems like they rushed to production for some reason. I suspect Season 2 will be better on that front, but you still have the Danny problem in general. I'd be perfectly fine if they canned Season 2 of Iron Fist and Luke Cage and just did Heroes for Hire with Misty and Colleen in the mix.

notthegoatseguy posted:

No, but Daredevil had a couple minor AOS nods (one of the biker gangs first appeared on AOS and Matt and Daisy went to the same orphanage).

You forgot the fight poster for Battlin' Jack Murdock and 'Crusher' Creel's match.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yakmouth posted:

With both shows being on the same network, not having a crossover of some kind will be deeply weird. That said, there was an interview today of Jeb saying it's not likely.

They aren't on the same network, at least not in America.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair to Jones, he was used to GoT being a professional operation where fight choreography is done weeks in advance and reshot and reshot until it's done right. Iron Fist, by all accounts, he showed up on set, had a stunt coordinator show him the moves once and then got told to shoot it and not gently caress up.

Yeah, I understand that. I honestly thought all the acting performances besides Harold and Ward were nearly horrible. But then again, when you have Scott Buck showrunning and a horrible script, I don't know if even the best actors can spin that poo poo into gold.

Skwirl posted:

They aren't on the same network, at least not in America.

Inhumans is going to be on ABC, same as AOS (if it gets renewed).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, I understand that. I honestly thought all the acting performances besides Harold and Ward were nearly horrible. But then again, when you have Scott Buck showrunning and a horrible script, I don't know if even the best actors can spin that poo poo into gold.

Inhumans is going to be on ABC, same as AOS (if it gets renewed).

Oh right, i was mixing it up with the New Warriors announcement.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

achillesforever6 posted:

That or management doesn't want to spend extra money in paying actors for showing up on different shows?

To be fair, not wanting to spend that money even though they definitely have that money would be precisely them looking at the success of others and going "nah."

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

My concern is that, if ABC/Marvel/Buck/whomever wanted Inhumans to stand alone, well they could have. Set the eight episodes in Attilan and ignore everything going on on earth entirely. Or, if the most entertaining thing the writers can think of to do with their premise is honestly to send them to earth ... then send them to Australia or somewhere else away from the other shows' established turfs.

But because for whatever reason they've decided to send the Royal Family to Hawaii, then they have to somehow acknowledge SHIELD, the Watchdogs, Senator Nadeer's "assassination", the whole works. Otherwise we can kiss the entire 'Everything's Connected' conceit goodbye.

I don't need to see a Quake/Crystal team-up (although I'd kind of want one) but I do want to see some recognition in the show that Inhumans are a hot-button political issue in the MCUUSA right now. And I don't really trust them to deliver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AbsolutelySane posted:

I enjoyed Colleen's fight scenes for the most part. The swordwork was legitimately interesting in that she mixed Japanese and Chinese techniques in a fairly unique way that I hadn't really seen before. She also uses her butt to disrupt a charging opponent and create space during a fight.

She can use her butt to disrupt more things if you know what I mean
:quagmire:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yakmouth posted:

My concern is that, if ABC/Marvel/Buck/whomever wanted Inhumans to stand alone, well they could have. Set the eight episodes in Attilan and ignore everything going on on earth entirely. Or, if the most entertaining thing the writers can think of to do with their premise is honestly to send them to earth ... then send them to Australia or somewhere else away from the other shows' established turfs.

But because for whatever reason they've decided to send the Royal Family to Hawaii, then they have to somehow acknowledge SHIELD, the Watchdogs, Senator Nadeer's "assassination", the whole works. Otherwise we can kiss the entire 'Everything's Connected' conceit goodbye.

I don't need to see a Quake/Crystal team-up (although I'd kind of want one) but I do want to see some recognition in the show that Inhumans are a hot-button political issue in the MCUUSA right now. And I don't really trust them to deliver.

They have already kissed everything is connected goodbye. Netflix has never mentioned Inhumans (the people) once and outside of the Cybertek raid appearing on a newspaper, I don't think SHIELD has ever been referenced. Likewise, SHIELD has not referenced any of the Netflix shows, despite at least two of its heroes getting news coverage in one of the biggest media markets on the planet.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

ToastyPotato posted:

They have already kissed everything is connected goodbye. Netflix has never mentioned Inhumans (the people) once and outside of the Cybertek raid appearing on a newspaper, I don't think SHIELD has ever been referenced. Likewise, SHIELD has not referenced any of the Netflix shows, despite at least two of its heroes getting news coverage in one of the biggest media markets on the planet.

Yeah, the Netflix shows are allergic to admitting the rest of the MCU exists, but I can just about let it slide. (SHIELD has been pretty preoccupied the past few years, and hadn't heard about Ghost Rider running around LA either.) There's no reason Murdock or Rand would end up on their radar, and the only Netflix story line that really should have caught their attention in my opinion would be Killgrave.
But that's just normal comic book stuff. Like the president gets kidnapped in Iron Man 3 and you think where the hell is Captain America in all this.

Inhumans have been the main focus of AoS for at least two seasons, and the agency itself seems to have rebranded itself as an inhuman public relations office. I think ignoring all that in the new show (if they do) will be what causes my own suspension of disbelief to snap. It's not like it's written in stone that that will happen, of course. I mean when has Scott Buck ever let anyone down?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
What's the reasoning behind the Netflix shows saying "the green guy" and oblique references to the Avengers? Is the Netflix division not allowed to use the names?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kellsterik posted:

What's the reasoning behind the Netflix shows saying "the green guy" and oblique references to the Avengers? Is the Netflix division not allowed to use the names?

They have said the Avengers actual names. I think the reason that the nicknames are used mostly though, is to make it seem that the street-level people would be more likely to call them stuff like that than the official codename like Hulk.

But Luke Cage had people specifically say Captain America and Iron Man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

They have said the Avengers actual names. I think the reason that the nicknames are used mostly though, is to make it seem that the street-level people would be more likely to call them stuff like that than the official codename like Hulk.

But Luke Cage had people specifically say Captain America and Iron Man.
I think in the context of Jessica Jones it was her being snarky about superheroes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's just really weird how hard they seem to avoid direct references. You'd think people would talk about people like Hulk more than just a one-off mention. Hell, I'd expect Captain America to be on TV in the background every other episode.

Jessica Jones was really, really weird in how hard it tried to avoid the mentions, up to and including Claire saying Luke is "one of those". It was pretty stupid, honestly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AbsolutelySane posted:

I disagree. I think Finn was perfect as the Western gently caress-up who just happens to know kung-fu and is AWOL from his actual duty, which is guarding Kun Lun. The entire point of the show is that Danny is the worst. That's how I choose to interpret the show, anyway.

Danny is easily the biggest gently caress-up of the Defenders. Say what you will about Matt's ill-advised meeting with Fisk in S2, at least he didn't lose an entire loving city.

Lurdiak posted:

Jessica Jones was really, really weird in how hard it tried to avoid the mentions, up to and including Claire saying Luke is "one of those". It was pretty stupid, honestly.

Is there a specific catch-all term for powered people in the MCU? I'm sure there is, but I can't think of one that ever gets used.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

Danny is easily the biggest gently caress-up of the Defenders. Say what you will about Matt's ill-advised meeting with Fisk in S2, at least he didn't lose an entire loving city.

Is there a specific catch-all term for powered people in the MCU? I'm sure there is, but I can't think of one that ever gets used.

I think they like to go with Enhanced.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It is made even worse by the fact that CW has the opposite approach with its shows. We live in a world where we put names to everything and share pictures and video of everything online. So it is really, REALLY stupid and bad that no one refers to the Avengers by anything other than lovely generic nicknames. The movies seem to be better about it, obviously, with Spider-Man having a youtube reputation, and how Captain American apparently did educational videos after thawing (from the Spider-Man trailer).

I am just amazed that the people at a company that was bought by Disney had enough clout to fracture their own multimedia franchises this way.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's one of the things I really liked about Legion; They get right into calling them Mutants in the first episode, and while I figured they'd pussyfoot around the villain and his parentage they straight up used Shadow King and it doesn't seem like they're going to shy away from having him be Xavier's kid down the road.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ I liked that too. I was worried they'd pussyfoot around since Legion is its own little thing but they don't. They treat the audience that they have the intelligence to figure out what a mutant is without having to hold their hands.

Yakmouth posted:

I wonder if Inhumans isn't allowed to be in space maybe because the MCU considers that Guardians/Infinity War territory and they don't want the TV division loving around with movie stuff.

But yeah, AOS has firmly established the Inhumans as a known presence within their corner and that they aren't going to cross over or even reference the current status of the Inhumans is dumb as well being on the same network and all. At least the Netflix shows can get away with being on a different network.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Aren't the Netflix shows like way behind timeline-wise compared to AoS which is supposed to be operating at the same time as the films. I mean Daredevil S1 was supposedly not long after the first Avengers movie because of "The Incident", and the shows follow chronologically from there because of Rosario Dawson, so I don't know how many years back in the timeline it is, but I don't think it's up-to-date.

But yeah, gonna echo everyone else here and say that with the second lead of your show being an Inhuman in Daisy, and your show being almost all about Inhumans during two seasons, it's going to be really weird if there is no mention of things on both shows...

...Unless the Inhumans show does not take place at current MCU timeline time. It could be set in the near past like the Netflix shows. We don't really know.

Retro Futurist posted:

That's one of the things I really liked about Legion; They get right into calling them Mutants in the first episode, and while I figured they'd pussyfoot around the villain and his parentage they straight up used Shadow King and it doesn't seem like they're going to shy away from having him be Xavier's kid down the road.

Pretty sure he's already definitely Xavier's kid: David draws him on the chalkboard as a bald guy in a suit, his chalk drawings recreate the astral plane battle Xavier first had with The Shadow King, he does a Patrick Stewart impression in the same episode, and there's a brief shot of the X-Wheel from Xavier's wheelchair in an episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Didn't Iron Fist actually show that the current year was 2017 at some point? I actually had a bit of confusion with the date, because I could have sworn that they briefly flashed the death year of the Rand family (on a tombstone?) and it was 199x, which would have put the show as happening years ago, but I could have sworn something else in the show contradicted that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

^^^ I liked that too. I was worried they'd pussyfoot around since Legion is its own little thing but they don't. They treat the audience that they have the intelligence to figure out what a mutant is without having to hold their hands.

I wonder if Inhumans isn't allowed to be in space maybe because the MCU considers that Guardians/Infinity War territory and they don't want the TV division loving around with movie stuff.

But yeah, AOS has firmly established the Inhumans as a known presence within their corner and that they aren't going to cross over or even reference the current status of the Inhumans is dumb as well being on the same network and all. At least the Netflix shows can get away with being on a different network.

i'm betting it's not set in space because they didn't want to only use the same 3 sets for the entire series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't Iron Fist actually show that the current year was 2017 at some point? I actually had a bit of confusion with the date, because I could have sworn that they briefly flashed the death year of the Rand family (on a tombstone?) and it was 199x, which would have put the show as happening years ago, but I could have sworn something else in the show contradicted that.

Same with Legion. There's not a cell phone in the show, all the computers are hacked together weird tech, they record on reel to reel, plus all the design elements are from the 60s and 70s. But then the interrogator has an ultra high tech tablet? I guess it's just like a Batman TAS thing where aesthetics trumps a consistent time period. Which is fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman TAS had pretty consistently retro technology, until New Adventures hosed it all up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean, we know IF takes place after Luke Cage, which really I don't think was confirmed until Claire basically shows up (?) When they showed that 199x death date, I thought IF might have taken place immediately after the incident, but Claire's appearance nixes that. Did Luke Cage have any mentions of the events in Sokovia (city dropping out of the sky, etc.?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, we know IF takes place after Luke Cage, which really I don't think was confirmed until Claire basically shows up (?) When they showed that 199x death date, I thought IF might have taken place immediately after the incident, but Claire's appearance nixes that. Did Luke Cage have any mentions of the events in Sokovia (city dropping out of the sky, etc.?)

Depending on how old Danny was at the time of the crash, it'd fit pretty well for it to happen in the late 90's.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

He was 10 and was gone for 15 years. So if the crash happened pre-2000, then the show can't take place later than 2014. Unless the date was a goof, or 15 years was a goof, etc.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah Claire is like one of the only ways you can for sure know the chronology, but I still don't think any of the shows since DD S1 tell us when that chronology takes place, if you're right about the IF 2017 thing though I have to feel that must have been a mistake or slipped through.

zoux posted:

Same with Legion. There's not a cell phone in the show, all the computers are hacked together weird tech, they record on reel to reel, plus all the design elements are from the 60s and 70s. But then the interrogator has an ultra high tech tablet? I guess it's just like a Batman TAS thing where aesthetics trumps a consistent time period. Which is fine.

Yeah but it was on purpose to also make the viewer feel uncomfortable, out of place, and better empathize with David's confusion. Also just for aesthetics, but Batman: TAS style was purely about aesthetics, Legion was not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah Claire is like one of the only ways you can for sure know the chronology, but I still don't think any of the shows since DD S1 tell us when that chronology takes place, if you're right about the IF 2017 thing though I have to feel that must have been a mistake or slipped through.

I think that, even though it doesn't totally jibe, both the Netflix shows and the movies go by "It happens when it comes out" to avoid confusing timeline stuff. That's why Dr. Strange's beginning was set after Civil War even though that implies his life falling apart, his long search for answers and his training took like 6 months, absolute maximum.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Clearly Jessica called him the big green guy because it's insensitive to mention his hero-name in New York after he destroyed Harlem

Lurdiak posted:

I think that, even though it doesn't totally jibe, both the Netflix shows and the movies go by "It happens when it comes out" to avoid confusing timeline stuff. That's why Dr. Strange's beginning was set after Civil War even though that implies his life falling apart, his long search for answers and his training took like 6 months, absolute maximum.

His car crash seems to be around the same time as Iron Man 2, since one of his potential patients was one of Hammer's test subjects for his armor.

I think at this point we can just assume the MCU follows a sliding timeline as well though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Argue posted:

His car crash seems to be around the same time as Iron Man 2, since one of his potential patients was one of Hammer's test subjects for his armor.
I thought for sure that message was about Rhodey, after his crash and injury at the end of Civil War.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Isn't there a scene in Iron Fist where Claire has a bullet hole filled shirt and she mentions that it used to belong to a friend of hers? Or am I imagining that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Medullah posted:

Isn't there a scene in Iron Fist where Claire has a bullet hole filled shirt and she mentions that it used to belong to a friend of hers? Or am I imagining that.

No, that definitely happened. Danny put his finger through one of the holes and said he hoped her friend was okay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yes, Danny wears one of Luke's shirts that was shot through.

Danny also returns with an iPod that I think is a 2nd gen one. So it was 15 years from 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Argue posted:

Clearly Jessica called him the big green guy because it's insensitive to mention his hero-name in New York after he destroyed Harlem

I think at this point we can just assume the MCU follows a sliding timeline as well though.

I think some of the awards in his fancy apartment said "2016" on them so I don't think it's likely that it's this dude