Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Are goons still (mostly?) on Landroval? What's the pop like, now that all of the server migrations from 2015 and stuff are done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Innerguard posted:

Are goons still (mostly?) on Landroval? What's the pop like, now that all of the server migrations from 2015 and stuff are done?

From the thread it definitely seems like most goons are still on Landroval, I still see groups forming and people around questing a lot even in lower level zones so it seems like the pop is pretty good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been seeing people regularly in the Shire. Not busy, but not empty. Often someone else crafting at the workbenches.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Could I get an invite to the guild? Name is Calamitous, thanks.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Landroval has always had a stable population. You have nothing to worry about. :)

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord
Is there any point in NOT taking the 50 gold option from the Variag quest in North Ithilien? It seems like the only trade-off is you don't get a high-and-mighty sounding title as a reward. Did they think we were going to have some moral quandary with this decision, because for me it was "Do you want 50g? (Y/N)".

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

grumbster posted:

Is there any point in NOT taking the 50 gold option from the Variag quest in North Ithilien? It seems like the only trade-off is you don't get a high-and-mighty sounding title as a reward. Did they think we were going to have some moral quandary with this decision, because for me it was "Do you want 50g? (Y/N)".

50 gold is meaningless chump change at 105, so it's a roleplaying choice, like whether or not to arrest the guard in MT. My character liked the Variags and figured turning down the money would have offended them. Besides we can probably do more good with it than they can.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to extract the music from the game? It's pretty darn good.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to extract the music from the game? It's pretty darn good.

Not sure what format they're stored in or how accessible they are but I saw in the description of this video links to every soundtrack from every expansion, might last you til you figure that idea out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8jI_WUvriM
Just remembered most of these never had a retail release, and only Shadows of Angmar and Mines of Moria had collector's editions with soundtracks so someone definitely ripped those from the game files unless they held a microphone up to a speaker very carefully

grumbster posted:

I took the 50 gold and since then there has yet to be any callback or reference to the event in the story since. I like gold.

Current stuff:

The current featured instance is Sword Halls, you meet an evil guest who speaks for 50 seconds and then kill 3 bosses, all in the same room with no adds and you can kill each boss in 50 seconds too. Ociayn joined me tonight and looted a 275 gold tome of vitality his first run, and some rep items for the new areas outside of Mordor. It's even soloable if you're semi-geared and on moon time and can't find a goon online. It's one of the new instances in the rotation and I think they forgot to scale it up to 105 or something, insanely quick and easy run worth your time.

The Spring festival is ending now and I'm gonna say it again: The 10th anniversary is going to be a lot of fun. The in game events begin on the 20th, the 'official' anniversary with devs streaming them doing surprises in game is last I heard the 24th on Twitch.tv. My champion is now over 10 years old because I made him in the open beta before launch. I love this drat game.

Also thanks for all the decorating work Grimhesric, Blondii and others, you really filled out 3/4 of the yard on our island already. If anyone else bought a crafting facility and had it in the old kinhall, it should be in the escrow storage? And if you don't want it in your own yard we'd appreciate it on the left side of the island with Blondii's. I'll be a bit busy today but will be on later and can bring my work bench and farmland.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 9, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just plopped down some cash for lotro bucks so I could buy the new quest pack (which was like a 4 step process, jesus guys -> unlock, pops browser, add funds, pops new window in steam, checkout on steam, punts to paypal, finally pay, have steam bucks, finish steam purchase to have lotro bucks, then finally spend some of those for the quest pack, lol).

Woot Gollum session play! Always fun. Haven't really dug into it yet though, beyond that. Just had a few questions:

-Looks like you don't need new Anfalas scrolls for this quest pack? The unlock limit didn't get moved?
-Looks like the new jewelry (both teal and gold) and offhand weapons are the gear to grind for (for non-raiders). I don't know if I'll bother.
-No new essences - still using the previous ones?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Odd question. Whilst looking for account login details I found some extra life code(s) from 2013 that I don't recall applying. Says to put in the details on the turbine account page. I..don't see a 'add code' button. Any suggestions?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Just plopped down some cash for lotro bucks so I could buy the new quest pack (which was like a 4 step process, jesus guys -> unlock, pops browser, add funds, pops new window in steam, checkout on steam, punts to paypal, finally pay, have steam bucks, finish steam purchase to have lotro bucks, then finally spend some of those for the quest pack, lol).

Woot Gollum session play! Always fun. Haven't really dug into it yet though, beyond that. Just had a few questions:

-Looks like you don't need new Anfalas scrolls for this quest pack? The unlock limit didn't get moved?
-Looks like the new jewelry (both teal and gold) and offhand weapons are the gear to grind for (for non-raiders). I don't know if I'll bother.
-No new essences - still using the previous ones?

Correct, if your weapon is capped it remains capped for a bit longer, maybe til Mordor. And they combine raiding with grinding, the final gold tier of the jewelry, like the pocket item I believe is upgraded in it's final form by a drop in the Throne raid.

Yep "ithilien tempered" gold essence are still the highest ones in the game.

There's some really nice new cosmetics, but my main focus is just getting max rep with Host of The West and the armory/provisions/weapons factions, you need to max all four before you can upgrade your quest cloak to an insanely buffed gold one.

Innerguard posted:

Odd question. Whilst looking for account login details I found some extra life code(s) from 2013 that I don't recall applying. Says to put in the details on the turbine account page. I..don't see a 'add code' button. Any suggestions?

I believe that is one of the things they already transitioned away from the Turbine site, try them in the 'add code' button in the store in game. Or if they're those ethereal spirit bears maybe consider naming what ya want for em :)

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
So I've added all the officers listen on the first page as friends and I never see any of you online, so I'm going to just ask for an invite to the kin here.

Gwenafra, Level 30 Hunter.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SporkChan posted:

So I've added all the officers listen on the first page as friends and I never see any of you online, so I'm going to just ask for an invite to the kin here.

Gwenafra, Level 30 Hunter.

Hmmm well I just tried and you said no thanks?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

I got bored with my bear-man so could I get an invite for my minstrel, Waverer.

sgbyou fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 10, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sgbyou posted:

I got bored with my bear-man so could I get an invite for my minstrel, Waverer.

You cannot recruit Waverer because he has not completed the introduction.

UPDATE

Welcome back goon

You have recruited Waverer into your kinship.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 10, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I feel like I'm going crazy I have no idea how to get my hands on an armament to change how my Cap's herald looks.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy I have no idea how to get my hands on an armament to change how my Cap's herald looks.

Tailors craft them, and the recipes come from scroll cases, which drop predominantly from humanoid enemies. What level you looking for?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Logged into an L20 character for the first time in a year or so and man I had so many task items stacked up on there it'll take me a couple of days to burn through them. Also tried the skirmish tutorial for the first time. It was... interesting. Not sure if people actually do them, or what the value is. It appears the marks I've been earning doing deeds are not per character so I'm glad I didn't burn through them, but I'm not sure what the whole point of skirmishes and marks are.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Logged into an L20 character for the first time in a year or so and man I had so many task items stacked up on there it'll take me a couple of days to burn through them. Also tried the skirmish tutorial for the first time. It was... interesting. Not sure if people actually do them, or what the value is. It appears the marks I've been earning doing deeds are not per character so I'm glad I didn't burn through them, but I'm not sure what the whole point of skirmishes and marks are.

AFAIK people don't actually do them. Maybe if you're leveling up a 4th character or totally determined to skip a particular region or something. There are a few mandatory skirmishes in Moria and Mirkwood and they were always the most painful part of the Epic for me (until Epic Battles came along and were even worse).

Mostly the point of Marks is to buy rep accelerators. You can also get cheap leveling gear, and some LI stuff and essences at higher levels, but it's not really necessary.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I always buy the collect 10 chunks of whory mucus and Rune of Winged Furiosity or whatever they are around level 50 for the class traits with Marks. Usually a couple skirms will cover that.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
You can also buy awesome lvl 65, 75, and 85 class specific armour set with them too.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Innerguard posted:

So, from this I put in a ticket with standing stone to ask where to put the keys in, because I tried to put them in through account management and they were coming up incorrect. As extra stout said below, I tried putting them into the lotro store and lo and behold, they worked. Thanks, duder!

However, I still had my ticket active and couldn't actually log back in to the ticket management thing to close it. Now, standing stone have just responded and given me a code for

1x hero of the small folk title
1x ghost bear pet
500 lotro points

Anyone want the spare title, seeing as I managed to redeem the first one? Going to hold on to the bear and points, but I'm happy to share the title with those that didn't get previously.
First come, first served. Will PM.

Davedog
Sep 11, 2009
Installed this stupid game again because after starting it, like, nine years ago I figure I may as well see it through to the end of the story. Previously I had been in a small kin with friends on Silverlode, but that kin dissolved with the server I guess.

Anyhow, looking for an invite so I can at least pretend I am playing an online game with other people again. My main is Mirzan, a level 92 Captain.

Thanks!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

FailPirate posted:

Tailors craft them, and the recipes come from scroll cases, which drop predominantly from humanoid enemies. What level you looking for?

Oh, I dunno. I'm level 20. I just would like to change how my little NPC pal looks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It's coming folks, this page will be updated as more events are confirmed. So far it's the stuff I already mentioned but now with YouTube content with Chance Thomas the LoTRO/Dota 2 musician, some kind of new Bingo-esque questline that takes you through 10 years of memories and will only be accessible until this Summer. The pets, streams, devs and other stuff is of course still in. Waiting to see about a new minigame and what will be in the 10 year account boxes.

https://www.lotro.com/en/10-year-celebrations

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
I'm closing in on 100 on my burglar and have a few questions about LI's. What is the easiest way to obtain the 2 first age symbols I need and is there some kind of primer on how the whole imbuement thing works? That's completely new to me since the last time I played significantly was when Helm's Deep was the current end game content and the tradition was to junk your LI's every time the level cap went up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Enzenx posted:

I'm closing in on 100 on my burglar and have a few questions about LI's. What is the easiest way to obtain the 2 first age symbols I need and is there some kind of primer on how the whole imbuement thing works? That's completely new to me since the last time I played significantly was when Helm's Deep was the current end game content and the tradition was to junk your LI's every time the level cap went up.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Item_Imbuement_system

Notice at the top they have links offsite with some more in-depth info too.

While it's good to get them made as FAs first and power them up, you can always unlock everything later still and get it to the same power even if you start with a Third age (except for raw stats on stat LIs or something? I dunno, both of mine are weapons).

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I may have a couple of 1A or 2A symbols in my vault, and when you're ready to settle on what you want for your level-100 LI let me know and I'll send you one. Depending on what you want I can craft it for you first.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Dang, I've been playing this game, on and off, for 10 years now, huh?

I was in the beta back in the day and still have strong memories from that time. I was so excited about a LotR MMO after spending years reading the books and watching the movies.

I remember there was a bug in late beta or early release where you could sell your farming products to an NPC for more money than you spent buying ingredients. It was my first and last foray into the world of macros, setting up my guy to farm all day for me so I could turn a 1 or 2 gold profit from it (a huge amount of money). I also remember that quest in Staddle to defend the pipeweed crop. The enemies only spawned at night and we're elites, or else not soloable by a newbie LM. After running innumerable alts through Staddle over the years, I always get a feeling of relief that they changed that quest. So many anxious hours waiting for a spawn and hoping I could rope some rando into helping me kill it.

In conclusion LOTRO is a great game and I'm glad it's getting g the chance to turn 10 and keeps going strong!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Bramble posted:

Dang, I've been playing this game, on and off, for 10 years now, huh?

I was in the beta back in the day and still have strong memories from that time. I was so excited about a LotR MMO after spending years reading the books and watching the movies.

I remember there was a bug in late beta or early release where you could sell your farming products to an NPC for more money than you spent buying ingredients. It was my first and last foray into the world of macros, setting up my guy to farm all day for me so I could turn a 1 or 2 gold profit from it (a huge amount of money). I also remember that quest in Staddle to defend the pipeweed crop. The enemies only spawned at night and we're elites, or else not soloable by a newbie LM. After running innumerable alts through Staddle over the years, I always get a feeling of relief that they changed that quest. So many anxious hours waiting for a spawn and hoping I could rope some rando into helping me kill it.

In conclusion LOTRO is a great game and I'm glad it's getting g the chance to turn 10 and keeps going strong!

Correct, for the final week or so of open beta they capped us at the ability to get to level 15? and get 2 gold or so that we get to keep once the servers go live. I actually tried farming on my champion which is still my main because someone told me about that. It was specifically that you could grow pipeweed on Gammy Bog's farm and sell it back to her or a vendor next to her for a bunch of silver. Wish I still had the hard drive that had those screenshots. I do have years worth if I get around to organizing the folder. Want to find that one of a GM spying on Nazgun kin chat and warning us about making fun of GMs.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I remember struggling to get multiple characters to the level 15 cap before time ran out. Now it takes a couple of hours.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was in the DDO alpha and beta, which is probably why I got into the same for LOTRO. Because of my sporadic play patterns I've gotten a few surprises during my current run when a crappy old game mechanic has been replaced by something much more palatable. I also found some ancient obsolete items that I had to purge.

I'm still disappointed though by how much more entertaining the Shire is in comparison to the other starting areas. The dwarf area in particular is so dull. I'm also bummed to find that they failed to chop out that annoying "WOOOAAAHHH" dwarf combat noise. It's enough to keep me from playing them.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Hello Goons, I would like to try this game. What class would you recommend for a newcomer? A few of my friends told me Warden was very fun. I don't mind tanking and would like a relatively smooth solo experience.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Hello Goons, I would like to try this game. What class would you recommend for a newcomer? A few of my friends told me Warden was very fun. I don't mind tanking and would like a relatively smooth solo experience.

More up to date goons will be able to agree/disagree but

Guardian is a brick wall. Slow (?) levelling but sturdy.
Champion can carve through things, off-tank but not hugely tanky
Hunter can just blow things away, not tanky but very solo.

Warden is basically combo fighter. You have three attacks and a combo execute button, plus miscellaneous attacks. As you level, you get access to larger combos which do different things.

extra stout posted:

Correct, for the final week or so of open beta they capped us at the ability to get to level 15? and get 2 gold or so that we get to keep once the servers go live. I actually tried farming on my champion which is still my main because someone told me about that. It was specifically that you could grow pipeweed on Gammy Bog's farm and sell it back to her or a vendor next to her for a bunch of silver. Wish I still had the hard drive that had those screenshots. I do have years worth if I get around to organizing the folder. Want to find that one of a GM spying on Nazgun kin chat and warning us about making fun of GMs.

I remember getting a ride from the second elf starting town back to the first, and the horse sinking into the ground whilst doing so, I think due to server load but can't recall. Horsie went on a ground-swim anyway. That was beta.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 12, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

I'd advise against starting with a Warden. It's a class you have to pay to play, and it's extremely complicated. Seriously, it's by far the most complicated class I've ever seen in an MMO. Start with whatever role you're comfortable playing in this type of game. They give you plenty of slots to start out with, so you can try a few different things out. You'll usually know if a class is working out for you by level 20 or so.

I usually advise people to avoid rolling human to start with in this game. The starter area is exactly like the human starting zone in every single fantasy game you've ever played. It's all your fault, not the game's, if Breeland is too much like Elwynn Forest for your liking. Play a Hobbit or something.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Agreed

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thirding this. Human starting quests in Every MMO ever :

Kill bandits
Kill wolves/bears/collect bear asses

Hobbit starting quests in LOTRO, avoiding main quest spoilers?

Deliver mail and avoid nosy hobbits.
Carry pies around.
Maybe shoo off some giant slugs or something.

Basically, if it sounds like something one of the small, full of life folk might do, it's pretty much going to be something you'll see in The Shire.

As someone who has played on/off since beta, I thoroughly recommend playing a Hobbit at some point, maybe first char maybe not, depends on how much 'stereotypical hobbit-stuff' you can take.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm finally about to get a war horse for my Guardian on Laurelin, but I've heard a lot of bad things about mounted combat for Guards. Can any Goonguards give me some advice on what my least-shittiest option is? My main's a Hunter, which is supposedly one of the better classes for MC, but I hate MC nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Warden can be a bit tedious but honestly most of the classes are fine for a newcomer. Some will be better at soloing content, leveling up etc than others, but it feels dumb for me to guess what level you'll get to and predict how much of a challenge you want. For example: Guardians do a lot of damage and are hard to kill in their damage build up til level 100, but then at 105 go back to being good damage but the best tanks around.

Also remember wardens are a 'premium class' so you've got to pay to unlock them. Runekeepers are the same, and unlock for free if you buy the full Moria expansion pack instead of just the Moria quest pack. Beornings are probably the easiest to level right now, but are the third and most recent premium class so they cost a few bucks too. I mention these first because they're all on sale right now.

https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale (just noticed this sale ends today/tomorrow woops)

Probably best to try out the many free classes first and see which one you enjoy the most up til level 15 or 20, but they all change as you go on. I still didn't answer your question sorry, good luck!

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 13, 2017