Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I looked up some of the quest lines in Skyrim online, and holy poo poo this is a bullshit game. In order to finish the Theif guild quest line you have to do like twenty randomized stealing missions before you get the actual story progressing missions. This is loving busywork. Why does a game have busywork?

I'm looking into TESO (ESO?) myself and let's face it MMOs are practically synonymous for busywork, so this surprises me not at all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

I'm looking into TESO (ESO?) myself and let's face it MMOs are practically synonymous for busywork, so this surprises me not at all. :v:

Oh, lol, I meant I looked up on the internet the quest lines in skyrim, not I looked up quest lines in "Skyrim online"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Durp. I'm gonna blame the hydrocodone for that :saddowns:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I couldn't finish the first dungeon in Persona 5 in one day (after the tutorial runs, I mean). I am a shameful Persona player :negative: I made it to the tower and opened the shortcut through the big Kamoshida portrait but with like single-digit SP on everyone I don't think I can keep going from here unless there's very little left.

I'm sure future dungeons are doable in one day but I'm not sure how you could with this one. I know people have and that baffles me. How do you stretch your SP far enough before you have access to good SP healing items or accessories?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I couldn't finish the first dungeon in Persona 5 in one day (after the tutorial runs, I mean). I am a shameful Persona player :negative: I made it to the tower and opened the shortcut through the big Kamoshida portrait but with like single-digit SP on everyone I don't think I can keep going from here unless there's very little left.

I'm sure future dungeons are doable in one day but I'm not sure how you could with this one. I know people have and that baffles me. How do you stretch your SP far enough before you have access to good SP healing items or accessories?

I did not stretch my sp far enough. I literally had to do the last stretch with physical attacks and healing items. It took like 4 tries to do the last chunk without dying. It's really hard!

Fortunately three dungeons later it's never been a problem again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im taking like 8 days to do it cause why not

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Im taking like 8 days to do it cause why not

Every day in a dungeon is a day I'm not making anime friends!!! :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I always try to do dungeons in as few days as possible so that I can spend the most time making anime friends. I think I'm really close to the treasure, but there are some tough as hell enemies here and I can't take them with single-digit SP so I think I gotta duck out. That's one more evening I'm not making anime buddies :smith:

At least I can make some more lockpicks and get those couple of treasure chests I had to leave behind.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i did it by running from enemy packs who were going to be huge sp sponges, like those little jar guys who are bizarrely strong to physical. still it isn't necessary at all so don't worry about it. you can empty vending machines at school and in town of sp items for relatively cheap and they add up to like 30 or 40 sp which is enough to matter that early

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 9, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I always try to do dungeons in as few days as possible so that I can spend the most time making anime friends. I think I'm really close to the treasure, but there are some tough as hell enemies here and I can't take them with single-digit SP so I think I gotta duck out. That's one more evening I'm not making anime buddies :smith:

At least I can make some more lockpicks and get those couple of treasure chests I had to leave behind.

Yeah you are pretty close. The big problem is that while you can cleverly avoid many enemies going up the tower, to get to the end you have to fight two strong enemies. Getting to them and killing them without accidentally getting back attacked by them or something else was the hardest part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah you are pretty close. The big problem is that while you can cleverly avoid many enemies going up the tower, to get to the end you have to fight two strong enemies. Getting to them and killing them without accidentally getting back attacked by them or something else was the hardest part.

Eh, what the hell, I'll save and give it a shot. I have a Snuff Soul so I can give my protag 50 more SP to work with and I bet I can do this.

I know one thing but I'll ask in spoilers: do you get to run around in the dungeon for a bit on the day that you come back to take the treasure after leaving the calling card? And/or is that not advised because of how much SP I'd be spending in the process? I get the feeling I'm going to want a couple more levels under my belt for the actual dungeon boss, since I only managed to hit 8 or so on this run. If not, then I'll probably need to make another trip in anyway just to get a couple more levels.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The one thing I really don't like about the persona games I've played is the personality stat grinding. For the most part they don't serve any gameplay purpose and just function as arbitrary barriers to the stuff I want to be doing, so I have to spend time building them up. I'd gladly spend more days in dungeons if I didn't have to devote so much time to that.

That said I do enjoy the added challenge of doing a dungeon in the minimum time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Eh, what the hell, I'll save and give it a shot. I have a Snuff Soul so I can give my protag 50 more SP to work with and I bet I can do this.

I know one thing but I'll ask in spoilers: do you get to run around in the dungeon for a bit on the day that you come back to take the treasure after leaving the calling card? And/or is that not advised because of how much SP I'd be spending in the process? I get the feeling I'm going to want a couple more levels under my belt for the actual dungeon boss, since I only managed to hit 8 or so on this run. If not, then I'll probably need to make another trip in anyway just to get a couple more levels.

Yes you absolutely can freely run around. With free access to the warp points it's easy to get where you need to go without excessive fights. I've always been saving most locked chests for the boss day because the night before is when I craft my lock picks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes you absolutely can freely run around. With free access to the warp points it's easy to get where you need to go without excessive fights. I've always been saving most locked chests for the boss day because the night before is when I craft my lock picks.

Sweet. Now I just gotta find a way past this Heavenly Punisher in the tower...

One other thing: should I be selling all the treasure I find, or does it have another use? Stuff like broken shields and onyx and stuff.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Golden treasure is purely for selling, get them fat stacks. The quests in this game are completely different from 4 and don't require item collection.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Stupid newbie Nier question: if equip the auto-dodge chip, am I basically invincible?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

The one thing I really don't like about the persona games I've played is the personality stat grinding. For the most part they don't serve any gameplay purpose and just function as arbitrary barriers to the stuff I want to be doing, so I have to spend time building them up. I'd gladly spend more days in dungeons if I didn't have to devote so much time to that.

That said I do enjoy the added challenge of doing a dungeon in the minimum time.

I think they're there to encourage New Game Plus. In Persona 4 at least there were several stat checks that are impossible to make on the first playthrough

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I think they're there to encourage New Game Plus. In Persona 4 at least there were several stat checks that are impossible to make on the first playthrough

I know and I don't like that either. NG+ exclusive content in 100 hour rpgs is dumb

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

this is from a different cutscene:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Sweet. Now I just gotta find a way past this Heavenly Punisher in the tower...

One other thing: should I be selling all the treasure I find, or does it have another use? Stuff like broken shields and onyx and stuff.

Yikes, okay, definitely not finishing the dungeon in this run :stare: Those golden-armor horse guys one-shot my characters at this level. I think I need better armor. I'll blow the rest of my SP gaining XP and then come back tomorrow after selling all my loot and getting new gear :v:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 9, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

I remember that one. At least it's showing that Aloy is learning how to read and not just... double reading for the audience.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

bold to make a game about a hero with fas

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I couldn't manage the 3rd dungeon in one day, had to do two. It's freaking rough!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

:wom:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

Stupid newbie Nier question: if equip the auto-dodge chip, am I basically invincible?

yes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

bold to make a game about a hero with fas

What's the disorder that makes someone's eyes this far apart on their head

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bloodychill posted:

What's the disorder that makes someone's eyes this far apart on their head

Fetal Anime Syndrome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, it's better than re-rendering the cutscene for every language option

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

fun fact teso is on pc and ps4 and xbox one and each has a separate server because.............

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, it's better than re-rendering the cutscene for every language option

glares at MAX PAYNE 3 :mad:

edit: Also, the max payne 3 logo on the title screen is a fuckin' 150 mb bink file. Seriously, it's just the title logo. With all the video effects that go for like 10 seconds repeated for 3 minutes.

Also also, the game's introductory cutscene is about 1GB of uncompressed 1080p bink footage. The rest of the chapter intro cutscenes are not much smaller. So if you were wondering what the other big contributor to the filesize besides repeated assets is, well there you go.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 9, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, the max payne 3 logo on the title screen is a fuckin' 150 mb bink file. Seriously, it's just the title logo. With all the video effects that go for like 10 seconds repeated for 3 minutes.

Also also, the game's introductory cutscene is about 1GB of uncompressed 1080p bink footage. The rest of the chapter intro cutscenes are not much smaller. So if you were wondering what the other big contributor to the filesize besides repeated assets is, well there you go.

You're really making a strong case for Max Payne 3, your favourite game of all time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, pal, it's not my fault the game's like 15GB larger than it needs to be!! Rockstar!! :argh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

I mean, for consistency's sake, that makes sense. I don't feel like they trusted their engine one tiny bit in that game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

I mean, for consistency's sake, that makes sense. I don't feel like they trusted their engine one tiny bit in that game.

They sure didn't! That's why there are literally four hundred and fifty tiny bink video files that comprise the little pop up words max says sometimes.

edit: Honestly I love dumping on the game's engine because it's just so awfully implemented. It's like they didn't really even try to care about optimization.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 9, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lol I took like five trips to the palace before I made it to the first boss

I probably went waaay slower than I could have but I still hit the deadline a few days before no prob, espcially after picking up the pace. And yeah there were some spots that got pretty tricky on Hard.

Nbd either way, I can always dive into NG+ if I miss anything worth replaying the game over, your first (or only) playthrough should be chill and carefree

E: Thinking back I got thrown off by how long the dungeon was, I was exiting between save rooms at first. But the whole thing has got to be like, ten floors worth of dungeon in other games. The sneaking mechanics are clunky but fun, makes dungeons feel unique and engaging so far

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 9, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

They sure didn't! That's why there are literally four hundred and fifty tiny bink video files that comprise the little pop up words max says sometimes.

:laffo: That is wonderful. And I say that as someone whose love for MP3 is probably at about your level. :allears:

That game pushed technical boundaries for its time by faking every single loving thing it could manage. Advanced geometry? Faked. (Lerped normal maps.) Level and asset streaming? Faked. (Redundant assets on disk to reduce seek times.) Post processing of 2D text? Faked! (See above.)

It was a swan song of the 360/PS3 era, totally optimized for the hardware when it barely needed to be.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 9, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Max Payne 3 is one of those games I'd be interested in reading about its development. Supposedly the game started development at Rockstar Vienna and was going to be set in Russia, but other than this guy's blog I never found the source of that. There was going to be a gameplay feature where you could use enemies as body shields as well which isn't in the final game. It was also in development for like 4 years which is absurdly long for a last gen linear shooter. Considering all the questionable development decisions I doubt its development was smooth even by video game industry standards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh man. I wish I had a cat like this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

Max Payne 3 is one of those games I'd be interested in reading about its development. Supposedly the game started development at Rockstar Vienna and was going to be set in Russia, but other than this guy's blog I never found the source of that. There was going to be a gameplay feature where you could use enemies as body shields as well which isn't in the final game. It was also in development for like 4 years which is absurdly long for a last gen linear shooter. Considering all the questionable development decisions I doubt its development was smooth even by video game industry standards.

I've also heard over the years that but never seen a source either. An expose like that would be pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

Oh man. I wish I had a cat like this.

That's a mountain lion.

• Locked thread