Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

There have been 30 goals scored for or against in Minnesota's 5 matches so far.

The next highest is 18. I'm gonna watch all the Minnesota matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

G-Hawk posted:

There have been 30 goals scored for or against in Minnesota's 5 matches so far.

The next highest is 18. I'm gonna watch all the Minnesota matches

It's loony, I tells ya!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Has any player had a smoother transition from US lower-tier soccer to MLS than Christian Ramirez? He is white-hot right now

Alonso maybe?

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Is Minnesota accepting applications for foreign plastics yet? I too love extremely proud-looking birds, snowstorms and implosion and feel this may be the secondary club for me

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Arquebus posted:

Is Minnesota accepting applications for foreign plastics yet? I too love extremely proud-looking birds, snowstorms and implosion and feel this may be the secondary club for me

at least wait until next week when they go back to losing

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Good point, I'll meet you back here when they let in seven

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was busy, so I didn't see any of the games yesterday and skipped watching the Minnesota replay.

They won? :monocle:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was busy, so I didn't see any of the games yesterday and skipped watching the Minnesota replay.

They won? :monocle:

They beat RSL to be fair.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It's that new Petke bounce.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Petke didn't coach that game :ssh:

Which dumb, stupid team is going to be the first to get shutout by Minnesota? Do we make fun of them more than RSL for being the first to lose to them?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Petke didn't coach that game :ssh:

Which dumb, stupid team is going to be the first to get shutout by Minnesota? Do we make fun of them more than RSL for being the first to lose to them?

Don't spit in the wind like this or it'll be the Sounders.

That RSL keeper muff though, oh lord.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cross St. Louis off the expansion shortlist, as voters rejected a measure to help fund a stadium.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Cross St. Louis off the expansion shortlist, as voters rejected a measure to help fund a stadium.

Cross them all off the list until Minneapolis and Chicago become real teams.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Would some scrub NASL team have a current World Cup-winning player on their team? :colbert:

(We are expanding too fast for my liking though)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I mean, they can get back on the list if they actually stump up an extra $60m for their own drat stadium, no?

Also re "expanding too quickly" I've always thought that was BS and Atlanta just proves my point, the only thing stopping a new MLS team from not being terrible is their own bad judgment and cheap-assery.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, they can get back on the list if they actually stump up an extra $60m for their own drat stadium, no?

Also re "expanding too quickly" I've always thought that was BS and Atlanta just proves my point, the only thing stopping a new MLS team from not being terrible is their own bad judgment and cheap-assery.

Atlanta is an exception

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Seriously. Going back to 2005 (Chivas/RSL), each expansion team's inaugural season:

Chivas: 18 points out of 32 games, dead last
RSL: Only 2 points better
Toronto: 25 points out of 30 games, dead last
SJ 2.0 (this counts, right?): 33 points, dead last
Seattle: 47 points, #4 in the league, #3 West, top wild card seed
Philly: 31 points, #14 out of 16
Portland: 42 points in 34 games, #12 out of 18
Vancouver, 28, dead last
Montreal: 42 points, #12 out of 19
Orlando: 44 poiints, #13 out of 20
NYC: 37 points, #17 out of 20

11 teams, only 1 playoff spot (:smug:)

Atlanta certainly looks like the real deal, but definitely an aberration. Minnesota...well, they gave up less than 4 goals last week, so...progress? :shrug:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Atlanta is an exception

I guess we'll see tomorrow now won't we? :colbert:

whypick1 posted:

Seriously. Going back to 2005 (Chivas/RSL), each expansion team's inaugural season:

In a league where player acquisition mechanisms change at least once every goddamn year, things might possibly have changed since 2005 to influence the situation.

I mean, one could say that it's early (it is), or that they lucked out in that the international players and manager they picked out didn't flame out spectacularly, but there's nothing they they are doing that could not have been replicated by Mionnesota, or maybe NYCFC/Orlando (I'm not sure whether TAM was in place or at current levels at that time).

The competitive argument against expanding too quickly is that it dilutes the domestic talent pool. This is true for the other American sports, but soccer is different (though yes, the US/Canadian talent pool is currently loving ankle deep) because:

a) in the short run, there's an effectively limitless supply of international players capable of performing at MLS level, especially via pillaging Central and South American domestic leagues for their best non-Europe-bound players by offering More Regular Paychecks and Slightly Fewer Violent Crimes, and even without trading for slots you can build most of a starting 11 this way, which will generally be enough to Not Be Terrible if you do well at your scouting.

(admittedly the Trump Administration may complicate this plan somewhat)

b) in the long run, spreading the regional footprint of the league improves the talent pool. One of the biggest problems facing youth development in North America is i) not enough academies and youth teams finding players across our gigantic-rear end continent, and ii) most of those that exist are poorly funded (mainly because they have to rely on the players/their families for funding) and sharply limited in the players they can filter through (for the same reason). This means that they can't afford good facilities and good coaches to actually teach anything more than kick and chase, and they miss a lot of potentially good players who happen to have chosen the wrong parents or been born in the wrong part of the country.

MLS academies address ii) relatively well (though it would also help if American academies could collect training compensation/solidarity from the good players they occasionally develop), and a side benefit of expansion is addressing i) (the actual motivation is, of course, hopes of improving the TV deal.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 7, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

SC STL guy says the potential ownership group is dissolving, IIRC.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm against expanding so quickly looking at just the league itself, but you make some good points in regards to how it can help US/Canada soccer as a whole and how player acquisition mechanisms have changed in the past decade+.

TAM/GAM was the year after Orlando/NYC joined though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I believe the commissioner, who is a fuckass, explicitly said in a presser, "No public funding, no accepted bid". Like...the group putting up all the money for the stadium themselves isn't good enough because it would set a precedent and we can't have that!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I believe the commissioner, who is a fuckass, explicitly said in a presser, "No public funding, no accepted bid". Like...the group putting up all the money for the stadium themselves isn't good enough because it would set a precedent and we can't have that!

Huh. That's weird, Orlando paid for theirs themselves and Minnesota just got some tax breaks IIRC, so if he was afraid of setting a precedent that train has already left.. Garber has his delusions but I don't think "MLS has more leverage than the NFL" is one of them.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
MLS 20XX: the commissioner, who is a fuckass.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Dallan Invictus posted:

I guess we'll see tomorrow now won't we? :colbert:

In a league where player acquisition mechanisms change at least once every goddamn year, things might possibly have changed since 2005 to influence the situation.

I mean, one could say that it's early (it is), or that they lucked out in that the international players and manager they picked out didn't flame out spectacularly, but there's nothing they they are doing that could not have been replicated by Mionnesota, or maybe NYCFC/Orlando (I'm not sure whether TAM was in place or at current levels at that time).

The competitive argument against expanding too quickly is that it dilutes the domestic talent pool. This is true for the other American sports, but soccer is different (though yes, the US/Canadian talent pool is currently loving ankle deep) because:

a) in the short run, there's an effectively limitless supply of international players capable of performing at MLS level, especially via pillaging Central and South American domestic leagues for their best non-Europe-bound players by offering More Regular Paychecks and Slightly Fewer Violent Crimes, and even without trading for slots you can build most of a starting 11 this way, which will generally be enough to Not Be Terrible if you do well at your scouting.

(admittedly the Trump Administration may complicate this plan somewhat)

b) in the long run, spreading the regional footprint of the league improves the talent pool. One of the biggest problems facing youth development in North America is a) not enough academies and youth teams finding players across our gigantic-rear end continent, and b) most of those that exist are poorly funded (mainly because they have to rely on the players/their families for funding) and sharply limited in the players they can filter through (for the same reason). This means that they can't afford good facilities and good coaches to actually teach anything more than kick and chase, and they miss a lot of potentially good players who happen to have chosen the wrong parents or been born in the wrong part of the country.

MLS academies address b) relatively well (though it would also help if American academies could collect training compensation/solidarity from the good players they occasionally develop), and a side benefit of expansion is addressing a) (the actual motivation is, of course, hopes of improving the TV deal.)
The problem is nobody is tuning in to watch the games.TV ratings keep going down.

"For the 2017 season through April 3, which totals 15 games, MLS is averaging 261,667 viewers compared to 284,842 after 11 games during the same time period at the beginning of the 2016 season."

As soon as the kilt wearing freak fans find a new hobby this league is in serious trouble.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Don't forget the comical lack of press coverage in most market. In the Washington Post today I had to scroll past articles for the Caps, Wizards, Nationals, and Orioles, then past all the national sports news, then past more articles for the big 3 DC teams again before finally finding a write up about DC United's win.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm just going to pretend this is the only thing that happened in last night's game and be much happier.

https://streamable.com/613zm

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm just going to pretend this is the only thing that happened in last night's game and be much happier.

https://streamable.com/613zm

Wasn't Toledo reffing that match? I'm shocked he didn't give a red for that

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

Wasn't Toledo reffing that match? I'm shocked he didn't give a red for that

He probably didn't see it, which means there's the slimmest possibility of the DisCo issuing a retroactive red for throwing a snowball at a defender behind the play, which would be so hilarious that I'm praying it happens.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
That snowball must make a league highlight clip somewhere.

If we were serious...

Throwing a snowball and hitting the ball would be a handball and possible yellow for Deliberate Handling.

Throwing a snowball and hitting a player like that would probably only earn a yellow for Unsporting Behavior because of the comedy factor... And therefore isn't a DisCo issue.

Hitting a player with a snowball in the face, or out of anger, is Violent Conduct for Striking. You'd need to meet the DisCo standard for retroactive reds, don't see that happening.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dan Kennedy is finally free

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/851871812564668416

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Which needs-to-be-emancipated keeper will take his place? MacMath?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

This kinda looks sarcastic

Like, THANKS DAN for dumping coffee grounds in the loving FOOD DISPOSAL that was so nice of you

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

shirts and skins posted:

This kinda looks sarcastic

Like, THANKS DAN for dumping coffee grounds in the loving FOOD DISPOSAL that was so nice of you

You're not supposed to do that? Uh oh...

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/852500387328348162
Lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm pretty sure it was more the caption than the actual picture that led to the suspension.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Huh. That's weird, Orlando paid for theirs themselves and Minnesota just got some tax breaks IIRC, so if he was afraid of setting a precedent that train has already left.. Garber has his delusions but I don't think "MLS has more leverage than the NFL" is one of them.

When Orlando won their bid the plan was for the city to pay for some of the stadium. It wasn't until much later (I think after the first season had already started) that the team announced that the city was taking too long and they would just pay for it themselves.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So does this mean he's going to drop a hat trick during WCQ in 6 months?

https://twitter.com/TorontoFCMR/status/852888203476570112

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Breaking news we have discovered irregular heart problems are contagious, patient zero Eddie Johnson has been taken into custody by the CDC.

Seriously though Dempsey, Wynne and now Moor all within a year seems high?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

it's the american food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Breaking news we have discovered irregular heart problems are contagious, patient zero Eddie Johnson has been taken into custody by the CDC.

Seriously though Dempsey, Wynne and now Moor all within a year seems high?

Chemtrails!!

But it's most probably totally statistically normal. About 1% of Americans are diagnosed with irregular heart beat every year. That would be about 6 MLS players every year.

IANAD, but if you have a predisposition to heart arrhythmia, pushing your body to its cardiovascular extreme for 10+ years is probably a good way to get those symptoms to expose themselves.

I have to imagine medical screening and reporting is getting better too.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread