Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Welp, that was fun. Just started playing as the Count of the Maldives in the Charlie start. My Steward almost immediately gets the Event that raises revolt risk due to angry peasants. Then a year later, 900 angry peasants rise up. I have no way to stop them with my 380-strong levy, and to rub salt in the wound just before the siege down my holding they get reinforced with another lot of troops. Game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coward posted:

Welp, that was fun. Just started playing as the Count of the Maldives in the Charlie start. My Steward almost immediately gets the Event that raises revolt risk due to angry peasants. Then a year later, 900 angry peasants rise up. I have no way to stop them with my 380-strong levy, and to rub salt in the wound just before the siege down my holding they get reinforced with another lot of troops. Game over.

At least when that kind of thing happens you haven't wasted much time, and can just fire up a new game.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

So, is there any reason not to be a satanist?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the upcoming patch satanists will be a bit rougher. Non-satanists will get a holy war CB against known satanists, and using dark powers will be more likely to give you health problems.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
In my experience being a Satanist turns your guy into an insane rear end in a top hat within a decade or two, even if you're careful to remain hidden.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tehan posted:

In my experience being a Satanist playing CK2 turns your guy into an insane rear end in a top hat within a decade or two, even if you're careful to remain hidden.

FTFY

although it's really too tempting to just worship Satan right now, especially since the only other worthwhile society is Hermetics and that requires you to focus in learning, a mostly still kinda useless stat for actual medieval politicking

a rebalance is needed, we'll see where that goes with the patch

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TorakFade posted:

FTFY

although it's really too tempting to just worship Satan right now, especially since the only other worthwhile society is Hermetics and that requires you to focus in learning, a mostly still kinda useless stat for actual medieval politicking

a rebalance is needed, we'll see where that goes with the patch

Hermetics are the best society, because SCIENCE :science:

I mean, you get to be a petty grad student and trash people's labs, steal their work, judge based on politics rather than merit and send undergradsapprentices on suicide missions!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Satanism shouldn't be overdone, but it's very useful if there's fucky inheritance stuff going on.

So like, if the Duke of Lancaster has a strong claim on Northumbria and keeps trying to push it, you can just kidnap/sacrifice people until the claim disappears. Being able to kidnap/kill vassals to prematurely end vassal wars is also pretty useful. Way less chance of detection and maluses than arrest/murder/execution -- faster and more reliable than the intrigue focus and definitely better than waiting for them to slip up and give you a reason.

Sometimes, you need to do evil for the good of the realm.

If your realm is stable, Hermetics blows everybody else out of the water. If poo poo goes sideways, hail Satan.

The other two really need a patch to make them actually useful.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I've been trying to play in the Dominican order for a bit and not a whole lot interesting happened other than some gay old man sex in a monastery.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
crossposting from the "dogs are haram" thread:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you know generally i'm down with zoroastrians and otters and i get the dog-cat rivalry

but who the gently caress hates tortoises enough to kill thousands of them

what did tortoises ever do to you

Schizotek posted:

Reptilian life in general was considered wicked and unclean. Although nothing compared to their hatred of ants. Ants were considered a plague on mankind on the level of death itself, a great punishment sent by Angra Mainyu in retaliation against the beauty of Balkh. Hedgehogs were seen as holy as they were because not only did they devour ants nests, they did so at night, which in Zoroastrian eyes was basically invading hell itself to battle demons.

There's a text called Arda Virāz Nāmak, which is basically Dante's Inferno, where a man wanders through the various levels of hell and paradise where punishments and rewards for treatment of animals is explored pretty heavily. There's a man in hell being boiled in oil for eternity, but his foot is spared because he frequently used it to crush ants. There's a couple who killed a water-dog, and so are forced to devour their own feces for all eternity.

Generally Zoroastrianism had a pretty extreme form of dualism. Things were either holy or unholy, and unholy things had to be destroyed, while holy things had to be protected.

more of this should come through in CK2 events, because drat basically all i do in this game is play russians or zoroastrians and i never knew any of this

(water-dogs are otters btw, for context)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I realized too late that one of the monastic orders could have saved me.

My cool dude, 3rd generation hermetic, decided to become celibate. I stayed a hermetic until scrying when south and I got jacked up at 30. I realized (too late) that I could sire an heir if I just advanced to the second level and renounce celibacy.

Didn't work out and now I've got a small branch (most recent common ancestor was my good line's great grandfather) with poo poo stats and dull.

Jokes on the haters though, because he's about to press his weak claim on France. Still, the stats are going to take a couple of generations to work out.

Backcrossing with women from the good lineage will hopefully reverse some of the problems.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

crossposting from the "dogs are haram" thread:

more of this should come through in CK2 events, because drat basically all i do in this game is play russians or zoroastrians and i never knew any of this

(water-dogs are otters btw, for context)

Well, to be fair they're absolutely right. Ants are the worst, and Otters are the best. BRB converting to zoroastrianism

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Well, to be fair they're absolutely right. Ants are the worst, and Otters are the best. BRB converting to zoroastrianism
On the other hand, they love dogs and hate cats.

So uhhhh, I think I'll stick with Muslims, than you very much.

Also, I really wish I could renounce claims. I don't really want to take land from my brothers and I think it might be a good way to get trust/opinion with someone for alliances. (seeing as having claims on the AI makes them less likely to ally you)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Kenzie posted:

I've been trying to play in the Dominican order for a bit and not a whole lot interesting happened other than some gay old man sex in a monastery.

Only other thing you need to make that an authentic experience is a monastery holding where you've only built vineyards/breweries.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So they're objectively the best religion and the world had its light snuffed out when they didn't rise to abrahamic level dominance. :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 7, 2017

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

How could a religion be so wrong about ants, but so right about cats?

Still, being additionally right about hedgehogs, otters, and land otters means they're still miles ahead on the scorecard.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there a nomad start that doesn't loving suck?

Every single time, I get rolled within six months. It's either an internal conflict by a single dude who somehow has 300% of my forces or I get dogpiled by everybody nearby.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I have no idea what the hell is happening in France here. It's changed hands about 6 times now in the Aztec wars.

First the Aztecs took it, then it was retaken during a crusade. Aztecs took it back once again, then ANOTHER crusade retook it, only for it to fall under the control of Barcelona this time. So there was a giant Barcelona blob covering western Europe. Eventually Barcelona lost control, and it flipped to "Tours" with some princess suddenly in control of every county in France, with no kingdom title or duchies. A while later, the title "France" appeared once again while the Aztecs began their 3rd invasion. They're winning and will soon take France back once again.

Oh and all this is going on with my own dynasty in charge of the Aztec empire because of my demon-spawn son leading the initial invasion.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Personally I just like holding blots and sacrificing prisoners to Odin.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Every single time, I get rolled within six months. It's either an internal conflict by a single dude who somehow has 300% of my forces or I get dogpiled by everybody nearby.

Magyars, 867 are super easy mode. Khazaria is also supposed to be easy, but I haven't tried them yet. If you can, get your heirs educated by courtiers in the Varangian guard so they flip to Germanic religion. Just make sure they don't swap culture or they'll be disinherited. Germanic is the best religion for hordes, because you get the Viking series of traits from raiding, which gives lots of extra prestige (and the opinion bonus doesn't hurt).

Not sure if it's changed in 2.7.1, but so long as you are at the max number of clans, you can keep all the rest of the land to yourself. Your clan vassals will hate you, but because you'll be so much stronger than them it won't matter. Just make sure you double check the number of clan vassals after every succession, because they can declare independence and you'll suddenly end up with a massive revolt. And if you do get a minor clan rising revolt, just immediately surrender to them. There is no real benefit to fighting them, you're better off saving your troops to keep burning everything to the ground.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ants are nearly as awful as dogs, whereas cats are of course the top of existence.

Make the Aprils Fools event canon paradox!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Paradox decided that for some reason, you should always start with more clans than you should. Blood brother one clan, then absorb the other; with the other clan working with you, you have double their numbers. Beeline for their capital and you're all set.

That rough start is literally the only time you are in danger until late-mid game. Magyar ain't bad, though I prefer the Uyghur myself. Just remember you have to manage your clans and that you should always be raiding if you can.

Oh. And if you have a county which only has one grassland and the rest are settlements, they don't count for your nomad county limit unless they changed that.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Oh. And if you have a county which only has one grassland and the rest are settlements, they don't count for your nomad county limit unless they changed that.

Not quite. It's that any county with two or more holdings doesn't count.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Edison was a dick posted:

Not quite. It's that any county with two or more holdings doesn't count.
And also only counties with empty capitol holdings count for population. Doesn't matter if it's got 5 other empty slots, if you've got so much as a temple in the capitol, it's considered settled. This is extremely useful for those times when you want a small population limit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

So it looks like the best choice for artifacts is to be an Iranian-cultured muslim or christian, as you can find and use zoroastrian, jewish, and muslim or christian artifacts respectively. The worst is to be zunist, as they can't find anything. Not even the generic artifacts usable by anyone!

You say they can use Jewish artifacts, but can Jewish characters not find and use Christian artifacts?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Christians and Jews care about King David et al but only Christians care about Saints. To my knowledge artifacts relating to figures like Maimonides and other great scholars weren't given supernatural powers by Jews in the middle ages.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Midnight Voyager posted:

You say they can use Jewish artifacts, but can Jewish characters not find and use Christian artifacts?
Nope. Jews only get Jewish-specific artifacts (unless they're iranian)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ewe2 posted:

Personally I just like holding blots and sacrificing prisoners to Odin.

My 600 year old viking queen had the best life. Wake up, get on a boat, kidnap the pope, execute him a couple of months later, conduct multiple affairs with irish princesses to pass the time, then get ready to go raiding again.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

Christians and Jews care about King David et al but only Christians care about Saints. To my knowledge artifacts relating to figures like Maimonides and other great scholars weren't given supernatural powers by Jews in the middle ages.

Ah, that makes sense.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

spectralent posted:

My 600 year old viking queen had the best life. Wake up, get on a boat, kidnap the pope, execute him a couple of months later, conduct multiple affairs with irish princesses to pass the time, then get ready to go raiding again.

That sounds cool, every 20 years or so the Pope tries to take back Latinium, I haven't managed to capture him in battle yet. My Viking Emperor is casually munching up Europe and Sweden in the meantime. Taking over East Francia for the Reformation has destabilized Burgundy and France, shouldn't take long.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kaza42 posted:

Dude, if you want to gently caress your sister just admit it. This is the one thread on the forums where we won't judge you, especially if you assassinate her afterwards.

Mucking around as the Persian Zorros myself at the minute, although we're now Mazdaki. The Aztecs popped in 792 but have not stormed Europe. They just took Brittany and settled down. I have a few of them in my court, totally chill dudes.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

So uhhhh, I think I'll stick with Muslims, than you very much.

It's a bit more mixed than that. There's a Sassanid-era folk story about an evil governor of Rayy, sent there by the Emperor of Persia, ordering all the cats in the town to be killed, but this leads to such an explosion of mice that all the townspeople are forced to flee their homes; it takes the queen of the realm presenting the emperor with a cat to entertain him to get him to remove the governor from power. So they seem to have been seen as a sort of necessary evil in many quarters.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well, I managed to usurp Bavaria and then they all had to call a crusade for Rome on me didn't they? I had 3 doomstacks chasing them around Europe, the little buggers would run off and hide in the fog and sneak back when I was at the other end of the map. I never got higher than 45% and after 3 times when they begged White Peace the 4th time I was so annoyed by it I accepted. Bloody Popes.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Here lies Žorsteinn the Red, an illiterate viking killed by a bookcase two years into his reign.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Well, I managed to usurp Bavaria and then they all had to call a crusade for Rome on me didn't they? I had 3 doomstacks chasing them around Europe, the little buggers would run off and hide in the fog and sneak back when I was at the other end of the map. I never got higher than 45% and after 3 times when they begged White Peace the 4th time I was so annoyed by it I accepted. Bloody Popes.

After the change a few expansions back that made it so that unlanded Popes can still call crusades, always leave the Pope with a single holding somewhere. Just storm that and siege it down for instant 100% war score.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oh man, Rebels and Warmongers is incredible. Between the weapons and crowns and horses and opinion bonuses for just being the most badass swordfighter in the land, your dude becomes an absolute superhuman. The childish part of me cackles with glee every time I slice some poor fool to bits on the battlefield, and every character in the game has a literal win/loss/draw tracker so you can see in an instant how many men you've slain.

This modifier popped up after I chopped off one of my uppity vassals' hands in a duel and chose not to finish him off:

If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of how they switched up the character sheet, but you rack up so many traits I can see why they did it.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 10, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjahedgehog posted:

If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of how they switched up the character sheet, but you rack up so many traits I can see why they did it.

are you kidding, that's a great change, the base game should have that

more for titles than for traits but still

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Is there some weird bug with Tanistry in the beta or do I just not have a clue how it works? I have a son and a brother that I can vote on but there are all of my courtiers with more prestige that have 0 votes in front of them in the inheritance screen and I have the "no heir to your dynasty" gameover warning.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The titles don't seem to have moved at all, looking at that screenshot.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Eh, I like how in vanilla all of your titles and claims and right below your main title, while your traits and modifiers were right below the stats they affected. Hey, at least it's not ARKO Interface :barf:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

binge crotching posted:

After the change a few expansions back that made it so that unlanded Popes can still call crusades, always leave the Pope with a single holding somewhere. Just storm that and siege it down for instant 100% war score.

Ahaaa, how do you hunt down a Pope and force him to accept land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Decided to do a zunist run and go for the Empire of the Sun achievement. Went pretty smoothly, swore fealty to the Abbasids and expanded in Afghanistan and India. Grew internally and broke away when I was stronger in one of many Abbasid revolts. Got enough land to declare myself Emperor and reform Zunism and that was that.

The sun festival is great. I had a ruler get the Zealous trait from it. During a later festival he stared into the sun he loved until he was blind. Amazing.

Other highlights and things I found for the first time:

A Shia Uprising hit the Abbasids early on at a time when the Abbasids were exhausted due to a long war with the Byzantines. Managed to win it and took vaste swathes of land from them. Now called the Nizamid Sultanate, they took Anatolia with a Jihad. The Byzantine Empire and the Nizamids have since been completely matched in power and despite several wars neither has managed to win a major victory in a hundred years. Sunni Islam has been pushed back to Egypt and the Arabian Peninsula, though Africa and Islamic Spain are still ticking along happily.

The game doesn't let you go stargazing if you're blind. Should have seen that coming.

Being blind means sex appeal modifiers don't work on you.

It's possible to become a crazy cat lord and rescue all the kitties.

My third ruler took the throne age 8, and at age 13 had high enough learning to engage a courtier spreading other religions in theological debate and win. Didn't realise this you could do this as a kid.

Got the trade route event, and got to set up a trade route and befriend the Byzantine Emperor. That was cool. Every other time I've done it it's been some distant pagan nobody.

One of my count vassals had 33 diplomacy, with 23 base diplomacy. How do you get 23 base diplomacy?!

My latest ruler dug up and kept his Dad's skull. Classy.

Successfully found the Emerald tablet on my second venture to Jerusalem. 10 years later my lab was broken into; the tablet and an ingredient were stolen. Went down the hermetic members list until I found some nobody greek baron with the tablet and the missing ingredient in his inventory. Couldn't find a way to take vengeance on him. I'll get that tablet back one day I swear to god.

Seljuk rocked up, got a whole bunch of Persia and Khiva, but his Sunni ancestors have been pushed out of Persia by a strong Shia Islam once the event troops ran dry. The Seljuk Empire is now pretty much just the Kingdom of Khiva.

Cool Beta Patch stuff:

I'm doing this run on the beta patch with the new secret religion mechanics. For the last 100 years or so I've been gradually getting more and more frequent people dumping sacred zoroastrian texts in my quarters and trying to convince me to start practicing in secret. For a while I burnt or branded them whenever my chaplain dug them up, but once I reformed the religion and my chaplain was busy converting provinces, they've had free reign. Cue my latest ruler. Guy's a secret Zoroastrian! And a bottom tier member of the Loyal Magi. Decided to take a look at what they've been up to. The AI has been really busy, the members list is gigantic. Wish there was an easy way to tally membership but it's between 300 and 400 characters. By comparison, the Hermetic Society has only got 40 members.

(For reference, my custom Empire is the Kingdom of Afghanistan, Punjab and Sindh, with another Kingdom's worth of counties spread around the edges.)

Over 3/4's of my Empire has a secret Zoroastrian community. The only areas that don't are my demense and a few recent additions to the Empire.

Half of my dukes are secret Zoroastrians, and one of them is currently leading the Loyal Magi.
The grandmaster of the Zunist Holy Order is a secret zoroastrian.
The western half of the Arabian peninsula is owned by a secret zoroastrian duke and is completely filled.
The Kingdom of Mauretania (only has half of its dejure territory) is a secret Zoroastrian, no communities have been established.
The Seljuk Empire (Mostly just the Kingdom of Khiva) is led by a secret Zoroastrian and is completely filled with communities.

The Abbasid Caliph, Religious Head of Sunni Islam, is a secret Zoroastrian and has about 4 duchies worth of land spread around its former expanse. About 75% filled with communities.

And whilst I was checking all this, I discovered that the Sultan of Egypt and Nubia, one of the five biggest countries, was in fact openly Zoroastrian. As was his father and grandfather. The two generations before that were sympathetic, can't tell if they were secret believers. How I managed to miss openly Zoroastrian Egypt for 60 years I don't know. Clearly I've not been keeping up with world affairs whilst messing around in Persia and India.

All of this was the AI, I've just stumbled into this massive secret society that spans from Africa to India. I mean I've got the Empire of the Sun achievement now, so there's no reason not to jump aboard the Zoroastrian wagon. But I'm super curious about the other secret religious cults that could be active elsewhere. You can't join two societies and with the Hermetics having such a low membership, it suggests there are a few out there. Can't think of a way to check in an Ironman Save.

• Locked thread