Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
THEY BROUGHT LETTERS BACK! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Diabolik900 posted:

I'll warn real quick though that the opening host segment is exposition-heavy, and in my opinion a little rough, but hang in there. Once they get into the theater for the first time it's smooth sailing.

Joel kept mentioning this before the screening, so he's also aware it's pretty kludgy.

The rest is awesome though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Just watched. Concur with everyone so far about the opening segment.

However...

I'm honestly not sure it could have been done much better. I appreciate that they were stuck in a rough spot there: introduce the show concept to potential new viewers while also not dragging the exposition of that on for those of us who know the show already. They had to introduce an entirely new cast (outside the Bots in a sense) which MST3K has never had to do before. When we went from Joel to Mike, the Mads were the same. When we went from Clayton to Pearl, Mike was still here, so these transitions could be more tidily handled.

Rap in the first host segment felt right at home. So good.

Just a general thought or two: People have mentioned Servo's new voice is going to take some getting used to. I agree to a point, but honestly by the end of the episode I was well on my way. My brain accepted Crow's voice basically instantly.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Servo was jarring at the start for me, but I stopped noticing the difference about halfway through. It helps that Vaughn is pretty funny, and has done a good job at being Servo anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bicyclops posted:

Trace has been doing a few interviews lately about "The Mads Are Back" and that none of the interviewers mention the revival makes me feel like he's asked them not to. In a theoretical season 2, I'm really hoping that he and Frank Conniff could warm to the idea.

At the Mads Are Back show I went to, during the Q&A someone asked if they where involved with the new season in any way and Trace flatly said they were never asked to be. I hope there's no bad blood there.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

duz posted:

At the Mads Are Back show I went to, during the Q&A someone asked if they where involved with the new season in any way and Trace flatly said they were never asked to be. I hope there's no bad blood there.

I thought I read a while back that Trace's departure from MST3K wasn't entirely amicable.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

duz posted:

I've gotten the impression from various things that Trace at least has some hard feelings about it. I don't think Frank is quite as upset about it.

It's a shame really because everyone else seems at minimum to be fine with it. In fact the only people not making a guest star appearance in the new series are Trace, Frank and Mike...but we know Mike is cool with it because he's partnered Rifftrax with them for a bunch of stuff.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It could also just be that he's tired of being asked. He and Frank are doing their own thing now, and I'd imagine that's still question number one at every Q&A.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Aside: The new orchestration/arrangement of the Love Theme over the end credits is loving fantastic.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Diarrhea is like a storm raging in your bowels...

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Also the Mads appear to have a house band and I hope that's actually A Thing and not just a first episode deal.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Rap in the first host segment felt right at home. So good.

This was apparently the first host segment of the whole season that they shot, so they were really thrown right into the deep end.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
We have movie sign:

And a slight puppet addiction...

Sadly Gypsys stand is busted, so the Gonk that holds spare power and networking cables had to fill in

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The model work was really well done. A pretty decent episode over all.
Also, I hadn't bothered reading most of the kickstarter posts so was pleasantly surprised to see Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland as part of the writing team.

ComposerGuy posted:

Also the Mads appear to have a house band and I hope that's actually A Thing and not just a first episode deal.

I hope so too:

fastbilly1 posted:

We have movie sign:

And a slight puppet addiction...

Sadly Gypsys stand is busted, so the Gonk that holds spare power and networking cables had to fill in

Hello fellow bot owner, at the aforementioned Mads Are Back, I got Trace to draw a Crow on my Tom Servo:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Not giving any jokes away so I don't think this is spoiler tag worthy:

I will say I have one nitpick in that I felt sometimes that the riffing was moving at lightning speed, by which I mean they sometimes didn't have enough time to get a joke out without rushing through it, and once or twice actually starting the riff before the film caught up to it.

I have to believe this is because everyone is going to have to settle into the style, and it isn't anything huge.

Plus this riff:

"Bones?"
Jim?
"Fossil bones?
Fossil Jim?

Made me have to stop the stream. I laughed for a full ten seconds. Those gems are really what sold me. I knew it was MST3K after that one.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

duz posted:

Hello fellow bot owner, at the aforementioned Mads Are Back, I got Trace to draw a Crow on my Tom Servo:

Awesome. I have a second Servo dome that Joel signed, I took it when I had a chance to meet Mike but he had to cancel.

Did you find the parts in the wild, or did you just buy a kit from Bob?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It was not too bad. Servo flying in the theater is very Season One-ish when Joel would interact with the movie.

They need to dial back the riff delivery, though. They were practically yelling every line. Otherwise, I think it's going to be a good season.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got the monster song stuck in my head.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

fastbilly1 posted:

Awesome. I have a second Servo dome that Joel signed, I took it when I had a chance to meet Mike but he had to cancel.

Did you find the parts in the wild, or did you just buy a kit from Bob?

I got Joel to sign it at his life story tour, and Frank signed it around the side from Trace.
I found the parts in the wild, but had a friend assemble it since he was in the middle of making a complete one for himself and so knew what needed to be done.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Where did you find the engine and the hands, if you dont mind me asking? After looking for them for 15 years I just gave up and ordered reproductions. Just like the Gypsy car seat.

I have built probably two dozen Servos over the years for people, but I will never build another fully functional Crow. Two is enough.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Watching it now. Enjoying the hell out of it.

I'm not going to lick that eel.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only 15 minutes in and I'm loving this. :allears:

I'm squishy!

e: Oh man the song during the first "commercial break" is the Wild Rebels theme!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

fastbilly1 posted:

Where did you find the engine and the hands, if you dont mind me asking? After looking for them for 15 years I just gave up and ordered reproductions. Just like the Gypsy car seat.

I have built probably two dozen Servos over the years for people, but I will never build another fully functional Crow. Two is enough.

Oh, I only have the head. I looked into getting the parts for the rest and decided that'd be more effort that I was willing to spend at the time (2003ish). Now that I'm older and have more disposable income, I should finish him.

duz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 9, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Loved the episode

New Gypsy voice was the most jarring, probably because I wasn't expecting it. I hope she's still a Richard Baseheart fan :)

The Movie Sign transition needed more shakey cam. Otherwise it fits right in with the show I remembered.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

duz posted:

Oh, I only have the head. I looked into getting the parts for the rest and decided that'd be more effort that I was willing to spend at the time (2003ish). Now that I'm older and have more disposable income, maybe I should finish him.
Find the paint for his body before you start. Testors Ruby Red paint is getting harder to find and most stores only have two spray cans (if they have it at all). Rustoleum makes a flat red in its 2x line that is a great primer for it. If you use the primer you will need 2-3 cans of Testors.

Its not like Crows Lime Gold Metallic, where you need atleast 7 cans with a gold primer, and no stores carry it. And when you find it online, its $8-10 a can.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
That song is super charming.

This is great!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Saw it at the NYC premiere and just finished it again...holy cow, I'm so happy it's back. If they can keep up this level of quality, we're in for a treat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just finished the episode and I'm just grinning like an idiot. So good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not being a backer, it's interesting reading everyone's impressions.

I sort of like going back and forth between here and the grumpiness of the forrestcrow boards, because both of them make me feel like I'm going to love it (there's a whole lot of "Gypsy isn't Gypsy anymore," "I don't like Baron's voice," and a bunch of other stuff I know I'm not going to care about).

The only legit-ish complaints I see are that things are a little too fast-paced, we don't see enough of the Mads, and there are some sound sync issues (bots mouths moving a bit after they speak, riffs hitting just a second before the thing they're riffing hits the screen etc). I'm sure the first two are just that they have to move through the premise quickly to get to the riffing (I mean, there's always only so much of the Mads we can see), and they probably get a little better at the sound sync stuff as the season goes.

Is there something wrong with Joel's video on the MST3K website for anyone else? I can't get the thing to play in any browser.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

duz posted:

Also, I hadn't bothered reading most of the kickstarter posts so was pleasantly surprised to see Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland as part of the writing team.

Don't get your hopes up, it was a one-off. There will be other guest writers on other episodes - basically, they were sent a copy of the movie and they sent back their own riffs with timecodes.

Regardless - that felt like an episode of MST3K! It's really back!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One thing I thought was interesting, I thought all the backers that pledged the proper amount would get their name in the end credits of every episode. Guessing they had way too many because this barely made it through the "A"s. Guess I'll be in episode 6 or 7. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

The only legit-ish complaints I see are that things are a little too fast-paced, we don't see enough of the Mads, and there are some sound sync issues (bots mouths moving a bit after they speak, riffs hitting just a second before the thing they're riffing hits the screen etc). I'm sure the first two are just that they have to move through the premise quickly to get to the riffing (I mean, there's always only so much of the Mads we can see), and they probably get a little better at the sound sync stuff as the season goes.
Yeah, I do agree that it would have been nice to see more of the Mads. The host segments were funny, but they felt short to me.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm so happy they brought back letters. There is something some sweet about that and kind of forgotten in this day in age.

edit: Spoil? I hope not for anyone. It was a nice surprise for me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know this is a bizarre complaint, but it almost feels too high-budget. The hosts segments should be shot on video with lovely lighting and obvious millennium falcon toys glued to the wall. Sold on the bots, not sold on Jonah yet. His host segments feel very forced.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Not being a backer, it's interesting reading everyone's impressions.

I sort of like going back and forth between here and the grumpiness of the forrestcrow boards, because both of them make me feel like I'm going to love it (there's a whole lot of "Gypsy isn't Gypsy anymore," "I don't like Baron's voice," and a bunch of other stuff I know I'm not going to care about).

Is there something wrong with Joel's video on the MST3K website for anyone else? I can't get the thing to play in any browser.

To be fair, sync issues are nothing new with MST3k. I've definitely rewatched eps and realized that "Oh, Crow was supposed to say that there.." Of course, I can't think of any examples right now.
I think there's some level of over scrutinization that may be happening. Also, once in a while at the last minute they change jokes. It's only really noticeable when it's a Crow line because his is the only mouth you see move but it happens so it seems like it's out of sync when the reality is they may have ADR'd the line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

To be fair, sync issues are nothing new with MST3k. I've definitely rewatched eps and realized that "Oh, Crow was supposed to say that there.." Of course, I can't think of any examples right now.
I think there's some level of over scrutinization that may be happening. Also, once in a while at the last minute they change jokes. It's only really noticeable when it's a Crow line because his is the only mouth you see move but it happens so it seems like it's out of sync when the reality is they may have ADR'd the line.

Yeah, if anything I imagine the relatively high quality of the revival is making people realize some minor technical issues that were always present. It's easy to forget how tough it is to juggle all the stuff that's going on. It's a movie with a puppet show with scripted riffs that have to sound improvised, with black puppets, big foam boards, where the puppet wranglers aren't seeing the exact same thing that we're seeing. It's their first season with this new format and there are going to be quirks, which I think should just add to the charm. :)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm pretty sure a lot of the technical and writing issues can be chalked up to the show being 17 years or so out of date so they need to shake off the rust.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the opening bit was a little rough and I'm not sure on the new theme song but once they actually get into the theater and started riffing it was solid gold.

However, the payoff to the whole "TV's Son of TV's Frank" joke is pretty great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sold on the bots, not sold on Jonah yet. His host segments feel very forced.

I can see what you're saying, but it's just the first episode, so I'll give him a pass (not that it was bad, but just different). My wife said "You know, it's not as funny as it was before..." about 20 minutes in, and then all of a sudden they had a few great lines and we were rolling as usual. It is weird hearing MST3K jokes with 2016/2017 references instead of 199X references.

One question: Why the "commercial breaks"? Will this not be on Netflix in other countries or are they going to try to syndicate it later? Or is it just keeping in flow as it was before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Love it love it love it. I've scrolled back and played the theme song like ten times now. :haw:

The only things I can think to nitpick are the tiny things that have already been brought up -- Needs more time spent with the Mads, the host segments seemed a little rushed, I have no idea what was the deal with Gypsy dropping off and picking up the thing. Overall, I think they nailed the goofy handmade tone perfectly.

And I burst out laughing very early, at "Nobody calls him that! His name is Max."