Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://gfycat.com/DazzlingAccomplishedKudu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
http://i.imgur.com/638MTbZ.mp4

How not to do procedural generation 101: fix all joins manually in 3DS Max.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 9, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This has never been done before so lets compare with other companies and assume that, 6 years into the project, this is a healthy place for it to be, while also setting aside literally every setback the company has experienced at all levels of "game development"

:downs:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Touchdowntim55 made the front page of the subreddit! He's unstoppable.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Not as Quantumy as it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelyPRiRCkQ

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but even when you are on the floor, I can't get a head shot on you.

drat, girl, that armor is PHAT!

Oh fat joke when I'm down!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I don't care what the joke was it upset me and I demand an apology from the entire thread.

Oh behalf of the entire thread, I apologize friend.

:glomp:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Touchdowntim55 made the front page of the subreddit! He's unstoppable.

I'd like to shake him by the balls

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kosumo posted:

So last time I can find them talking about inviting players to your hangar was 18 months ago in this post from Tony Z https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

That was once 'Persistence' was done.

All this was in the 'near future' 18 months ago.

It's full of bullshit lies, none of which have been done yet.

edit: My bad, they have add the Million Mile High Club - for what point I don't know, just a waste of time, bet it goes day if not weeks with anyone going there yet they seem to now be saying that to make shared hangars at this time (or, you know any time over the last 5 years), would not be the best use of their resources ..... what a joke, look at the rubbish they have wasted time and resources on.

Chris Roberts and inept fool wasting peoples time, life and money.

Oh for god sakes. He only has one monitor to do dev work on. If only CIG could afford two monitors for Tony, he'd double his productivity.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

Cool thread speculating about the whereabouts of SQ42: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7610122/#Comment_7610122

It will never cease to amaze me the ability by shillizens to scrutinize and sweep CIG tidbits of "info" for the tiniest of details in order to rationalize what the gently caress is actually going on.

I mean, as if CIG issued info was somehow reliable enough and could be actually used for that.

The problem is the two CIG facts backers believe to the death:

1: CIG never lies
2: CIG is sometimes wrong

The stretch there is that the "sometimes" variable is starting to waaaaaaaay over shadow #1. It's getting to the point of "CIG always lies :(" and that will not be easy for backers or whales to admit because then they realize they're being conned for their money and the game will never happen anywhere close to the vision.

I've said it before but for CIG their stupid Spectrum thing is a good idea, because their community is hugely toxic and evil, so you need to hide it well. Also their own moderation techniques are so militaristic that nobody can have a negative opinion without being silenced, and that also doesn't look good. Best tactic is to just make it go away.

A sleight of hand if you will! Magic as performed by Chris Roberts to everybody.

Reduce the number of socially invested people, splinter everybody up so nobody can organize properly or communicate. Shut down any alternative channels.

This is CIGs shutdown system.

Next up they're going to shut down their Reddit forum in an effort to get everybody on the spectrum, but in reality they want to make it so terrible nobody will want to be on it or use it. Just stop people from collaborating.

After that, expect your MVP about 2 months or less later, and the official "It's exactly as I imagined! :love:" from Chris Roberts and he drives off into the sunset with scads of dough. Almost a perfect scam he'll never get to do twice.

That's my opinion, so it's probably wrong because I don't have developers sending me info. :3:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

I'd like to shake him by the balls

Maybe my unwavering support of Touchdowntim55 (may god bless his soul) has had an unintended effect on his person as I am a filthy goon. His thread has now been down voted several times since my posting. Almost as if they're reading this thread.

Which no solid citizen would do of course.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

+42 Thread is good

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/376793/forums-get-closed-in-7-days/p16

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

"Most Valuable Poster" :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This Spectrum fallout is just a microcosm of things to come from the community. When reality hits versus their dreams, imagine what the 3.0 debacle will provide.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Cat demands EVERYTHING,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31NI_YCM00

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This has never been done before so lets compare with other companies and assume that, 6 years into the project, this is a healthy place for it to be, while also setting aside literally every setback the company has experienced at all levels of "game development"

:downs:

Its his tone of being genuinely constructive and helpful that gets me, it's exactly how I've seen Christians handle Doubt

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

Lol. I'm an Autistic with PTSD and Fybromyalsia, and I can't help but think "How can these CM guys be so bad at their job? Not even I could handle social relations so poorly."

Then I sadly realize I've spent a lifetime studying human interaction whereas they've been rotting their brains with reddit and twitter.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7610716/#Comment_7610716

:iceburn:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm sorry, but I've read only the first couple of pages and guess that the next 11 pages are probably just about the same thing repeated again and again by the same members who love high post counts.

Not going to waste my precious reading all 13 pages of lament about a forum that is closing.

What immediately strikes me here, is that we have a bunch of people who feel that they are incapable of carrying a message to a different medium. They feel that it is the medium that defines them, and that they will no longer be able to get their well-formed arguments and priceless opinions across if anything changes in the slightest.

Moreover the people who are making their points very strongly here are the ones who are probably using Spectrum (or Wrectrum as someone trying too hard to be funny wrote above) the least.

This is a typical knee jerk reaction to change by people who are not willing to try something just in case it turns out not to be the spawn of Satan or some other equally Earth Ending phenomenon and instead just ends up being "slightly different."

Actually it's just like those people who criticised the new Ghost in the Shell yet didn't even loving watch it on principle!

At least try it PROPERLY; Give it a chance before you request a refund/ sling your hook/top yourself or whatever inconsequential thing it is you're planning for the world to show them that you matter.

And for those who do decide to leave,

Can I haz your stuff?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Not going to waste my precious reading all 13 pages of lament about a forum that is closing.
:yossame:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

You guys couldn't be more obvious if you'd bought your obvious at a 2-for-1 sale

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Star Citizen: Forget the money, it's spent

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

mrchinchin25 posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mrchinchin25 posted:

:yeah:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hello space friends.

What is going on?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Meridian posted:

Hello space friends.

What is going on?

Space arguing.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/64bhv5/how_do_i_fly_out_of_the_selfland_hangar/?st=J1AXY3AD&sh=b6e7df06

"How do i fly out of my hanger?"

"Well the first thing you are going to want to do is wait 3 years"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Space arguing.

Space...court?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Warhawk109 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/64bhv5/how_do_i_fly_out_of_the_selfland_hangar/?st=J1AXY3AD&sh=b6e7df06

"How do i fly out of my hanger?"

"Well the first thing you are going to want to do is wait 3 years"

Reddit has also got some valour

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/64bhv5/how_do_i_fly_out_of_the_selfland_hangar/dg1em2i/

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Jesus Christ. None of this is Roberts' fault- he's just putting his trust in incompetent, lazy underlings and then not checking up on their work. Never mind the likely deception, dubious financial reporting, and nepotism. If a leader has one job, it's to HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE AND HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE. OH MY GOD SO ANGRY.

If CIG is mired in ineptitude and dishonesty, then it's because an environment rewarding that behavior has been tacitly (or more explicitly) endorsed, and that poo poo starts with the boss.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
GUYS

GUYS

3.0 NEXT. WEEK.

!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/643614/conspiracy_theory_for_30/?st=J1AYKMGX&sh=fde6e449

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They seem to think they're getting a 3.0 report this Friday.

Their reasoning (they're learning)
they're shuttering the forums next week, its a holiday, and a Friday to boot.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It's going to be bad news, I can feel it. I bet they're only a quarter of the way done with CODE.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

ELE can't come fast enough

https://twitter.com/tnolin/status/850950275611246592

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Jesus Christ. None of this is Roberts' fault- he's just putting his trust in incompetent, lazy underlings and then not checking up on their work. Never mind the likely deception, dubious financial reporting, and nepotism. If a leader has one job, it's to HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE AND HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE. OH MY GOD SO ANGRY.

If CIG is mired in ineptitude and dishonesty, then it's because an environment rewarding that behavior has been tacitly (or more explicitly) endorsed, and that poo poo starts with the boss.

nice meltdown goonie

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Alpha 3.0 is going to be the most important update for Star Citizen and a huge milestone to achieve. Not only because it will add the full Stanton system and the first set of professions in the game but mainly because it will add planetary landings and give players the opportunity to land on planets and moons, explore and in general pursue their goals planetside. The planetary tech of Star Citizen has advanced a lot since the first time it was revealed, creating beautiful planets and making us dream of the moment we will be able to visit them.

We could say that the first look we got on this tech was when the Nyx Landing Zone Preview was released. For the first time we witnessed a spacecraft in star citizen approaching a landing zone on the surface of a planet. Obviously the developers have been working on this for a while and it was quite awe inspiring to watch this achievement even at its first steps.

What followed was the "From Pupil to Planet" trailer, a video showing for the first time a seamless transition from the surface of a procedurally generated planet to space and the realization that our universe was about to become a lot bigger. This trailer was showing a small procedurally generated rock planet with an atmosphere and a diameter of 1000 KM. What was even more amazing, was the fact that it was a 100% in-game footage rendered in real time.

The developers have been experimenting with many different planets with and without atmosphere before creating the small rocky planet of the trailer. After this great little video we didn't think CIG would be able to surprise us again, something they have achieved many times since then. Starting with a very short clip of a character walking on the surface of a planet. The planet was not anything special, a simple surface with low quality textures but still very beautiful to watch another accomplishment of the talented team behind this amazing project.

And then came the Gamescom of 2016 and changed everything. CIG revealed their plans of an expanded persistent universe with procedural planets, the full Stanton system with five planets and their moons, including Delamar imported from Nyx for extra variety and testing purposes but also many space stations, planetary outposts and points of interest around them. During the presentation we visited Levski, the Delamar landing zone, an area full of NPC and alive and saw what the future holds for Star Citizen. We also learned about the evolution of the missions system and the implementation of many new and innovative features to the game with the 3.0 update. No matter how impressive this was, the planetary tech was not simply "there" yet and there was no real diversity on the planets at this stage of development. But it was certainly a harbinger of greater things to come.

We had to wait a bit until the Citizencon of 2016 to admire the true potential of this technology. Procedural planets V2 was revealed then, an improved version of the planetary tech we had seen at Gamescom a couple months before and it was breathtaking. We were shown a beautiful planet, an alive planet with much better quality and the existence of different ecosystems on that one only planet. Biomes that will be able to blend together and create a realistic experience, a first look at vegetation and learned of how CIG was creating a full weather simulation with the biomes themselves controlling the weather, clouds but also proper water reflections, waves and realistic oceans in general. Another very important info had to do with lighting and shadows. The light in the Verse will depend on our location related to the sun, the planets will rotate on their axis and also rotate around the sun, creating a day-night cycle and not only beautiful planets but also very realistic scenarios.

What is also very important is the fact that although these planets will be procedurally generated, will be Artist -Driven procedurally generated planets. That means that the planets will be created with procedural techniques but will also include many locations handcrafted carefully by the artists of CIG to give a unique and warm feeling, look. Planets will be created to have many different ecosystems but could also be created with a unique condition, a frozen planet for example, something that will be dictated by the rich lore of Star Citizen.

Today the work on the planetary tech continues and the planets and moons of Star Citizen are getting better and better. Every week we hear news of improvements on clouds, lighting, planetary and weather effects, news that make us anticipate the release of this great update and the waiting harder!

Video version here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyYh53D5ec

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Alpha 3.0 is going to be the most important update for Star Citizen and a huge milestone to achieve. Not only because it will add the full Stanton system and the first set of professions in the game but mainly because it will add planetary landings and give players the opportunity to land on planets and moons, explore and in general pursue their goals planetside. The planetary tech of Star Citizen has advanced a lot since the first time it was revealed, creating beautiful planets and making us dream of the moment we will be able to visit them.

We could say that the first look we got on this tech was when the Nyx Landing Zone Preview was released. For the first time we witnessed a spacecraft in star citizen approaching a landing zone on the surface of a planet. Obviously the developers have been working on this for a while and it was quite awe inspiring to watch this achievement even at its first steps.

What followed was the "From Pupil to Planet" trailer, a video showing for the first time a seamless transition from the surface of a procedurally generated planet to space and the realization that our universe was about to become a lot bigger. This trailer was showing a small procedurally generated rock planet with an atmosphere and a diameter of 1000 KM. What was even more amazing, was the fact that it was a 100% in-game footage rendered in real time.

The developers have been experimenting with many different planets with and without atmosphere before creating the small rocky planet of the trailer. After this great little video we didn't think CIG would be able to surprise us again, something they have achieved many times since then. Starting with a very short clip of a character walking on the surface of a planet. The planet was not anything special, a simple surface with low quality textures but still very beautiful to watch another accomplishment of the talented team behind this amazing project.

And then came the Gamescom of 2016 and changed everything. CIG revealed their plans of an expanded persistent universe with procedural planets, the full Stanton system with five planets and their moons, including Delamar imported from Nyx for extra variety and testing purposes but also many space stations, planetary outposts and points of interest around them. During the presentation we visited Levski, the Delamar landing zone, an area full of NPC and alive and saw what the future holds for Star Citizen. We also learned about the evolution of the missions system and the implementation of many new and innovative features to the game with the 3.0 update. No matter how impressive this was, the planetary tech was not simply "there" yet and there was no real diversity on the planets at this stage of development. But it was certainly a harbinger of greater things to come.

We had to wait a bit until the Citizencon of 2016 to admire the true potential of this technology. Procedural planets V2 was revealed then, an improved version of the planetary tech we had seen at Gamescom a couple months before and it was breathtaking. We were shown a beautiful planet, an alive planet with much better quality and the existence of different ecosystems on that one only planet. Biomes that will be able to blend together and create a realistic experience, a first look at vegetation and learned of how CIG was creating a full weather simulation with the biomes themselves controlling the weather, clouds but also proper water reflections, waves and realistic oceans in general. Another very important info had to do with lighting and shadows. The light in the Verse will depend on our location related to the sun, the planets will rotate on their axis and also rotate around the sun, creating a day-night cycle and not only beautiful planets but also very realistic scenarios.

What is also very important is the fact that although these planets will be procedurally generated, will be Artist -Driven procedurally generated planets. That means that the planets will be created with procedural techniques but will also include many locations handcrafted carefully by the artists of CIG to give a unique and warm feeling, look. Planets will be created to have many different ecosystems but could also be created with a unique condition, a frozen planet for example, something that will be dictated by the rich lore of Star Citizen.

Today the work on the planetary tech continues and the planets and moons of Star Citizen are getting better and better. Every week we hear news of improvements on clouds, lighting, planetary and weather effects, news that make us anticipate the release of this great update and the waiting harder!

Video version here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyYh53D5ec

I thought it was an interesting read. It is cool to me to look back at the PG tech, but what always gets me is how this level is now kind of expected by us. All I keep thinking is, "holy crap! , no game has ever actually done this, if they can pull it off I will die" (expression of amazement and happiness).
Also, yes the pupil to planets stuff was the first we saw of it, but there's been some ATV's where they show the very first prototype. Looking from that to now is even more crazy.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Roberts is waiting for Putin to declare war on Trump before announcing anything, so he can hide behind the bad news.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Just lol forever if spectrum being poo poo is what starts breaking citizens.

The game is basically an unplayable crysis mod where cig "fixes" bugs by removing features or functionality but having a lovely discord in place of lovely forums is a space bridge to space far.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

(from the spectrum thread)

If I just give CIG a few thousand more dollars, then I could stop giving them money altogether. I think they'll get the message :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Exinos posted:

Just lol forever if spectrum being poo poo is what starts breaking citizens.

The game is basically an unplayable crysis mod where cig "fixes" bugs by removing features or functionality but having a lovely discord in place of lovely forums is a space bridge to space far.

That´s because CIG has made the fatal mistake of not selling Completionist Spectrum accounts, including all emojis for $15,000.