Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

scoring goals? oh hey thats what i do. score goals. all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sellouts posted:

so if it doesn't score its going to be saved, got it

i dunno...because if you don't have traffic it will be saved and if you do have traffic why aren't you using the traffic to change directions instead of putting it into the traffics pants/breadbasket/other area where it won't score

if someone is horrifically out of position and you've got an open net i get it but i don't understand slappers without traffic unless you have an absolute bomb where speed is more dangerous than how high you can get it. fundamentally in beer league i don't understand slappers with traffic where the primary objective isn't to change directions suddenly. idk.

i spend a ton of time in front of the net and we score many more goals when shots come lower from either deflections or a tough to control rebounds off of leg pads. when it hits me in the legs or the shins it drops dead and usually the guy marking me up can pretty easy get the puck outside the slot and start a breakout.

we also seem to be far better across the board with deflections where the stick is lower to the ice than higher, but my hand eye coordination admittedly sucks.

If there is a chance to get it in, it's better than not shooting. If it hits a person, its not going to hit them anywhere its going to hurt (even then, my slapshot isn't exactly a laser, its just "ok"). If it hits the goalies pads because it goes too low, rebound is going to happen. If it goes too high, its going to hit a corner.

So far, all its done is contribute to a couple of awesome rebounds, but i'll take them, especially as a few of them (the rebounds) have gone in (once my team realised what I was aiming for).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how often do you yell shoot at an NHL game. Be honest...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Never, they get paid to play and i'm usually to busy watching their feet.

E: gently caress it, the real reason Is cos slappers are cool, nerd

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 9, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

don't take slapshots into traffic in beer league people, you're not shea weber. feather that poo poo in, like a gentleman.

we had some dummy on friday try to drop a bomb from the point during drop-in, thing wound up being five feet off the ice by the time it hit the slot. :ughh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

that would never happen to anyone in this thread tho

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate when you only have one game in two weeks and you play it like poo poo.

Being between seasons sucks.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Just gotta advance out of the first round of the playoffs next time :coal:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
:iceburn:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's Hawk's fault for not giving the house team any ringers, which is apparently the only way to beat Rous.

We loaded up for the summer. :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
At one of the local rinks, for all leagues below A league, any slapper over the crossbar is a whistle and faceoff out of the zone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

how good are A players?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Not as good those THE leaguers, I can tell you that much

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somebody once joked that the safest place to be in beer league is in front of a low level slapshot. It's going everywhere except where the person is actually aiming.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I've tracked down some Mako II skates for about 400$ Canadian, and the fit seems really really nice, except for the side of my big toe mound, and a bit on the inner arch of my foot. The skates have not been baked yet. I left the store without them because of the foot pain, but later when I read about fitment online, someone wrote that Mako skates are particular in that they mold a lot more than other moldable skates.

Is this true? Also for 400$, would I be just better off looking for a more modern pair of skates that would have a better fit from the get go? I could see myself go a bit higher than that budget wise if the fit was perfect.
I'm coming from an old Reebok 5K skates that are giving me inner arch pain, and can't wait to get a new pair of skates.

EDIT: Also how hard/bad would it be to mold the skates again if I'm not happy with the results?

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 10, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got Bauer 1S for less than that, new in box, on eBay.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

johncho posted:

I've tracked down some Mako II skates for about 400$ Canadian, and the fit seems really really nice, except for the side of my big toe mound, and a bit on the inner arch of my foot. The skates have not been baked yet. I left the store without them because of the foot pain, but later when I read about fitment online, someone wrote that Mako skates are particular in that they mold a lot more than other moldable skates.

Is this true? Also for 400$, would I be just better off looking for a more modern pair of skates that would have a better fit from the get go? I could see myself go a bit higher than that budget wise if the fit was perfect.
I'm coming from an old Reebok 5K skates that are giving me inner arch pain, and can't wait to get a new pair of skates.

EDIT: Also how hard/bad would it be to mold the skates again if I'm not happy with the results?

It's possible there's a skate on the market that will work for you but if you really think your foot is that abnormal it might be worth looking into VH skates. The Makos are actually based off the MLX skate which Easton purchased, the company VH was created after that where they still fit a lot of NHL players an I think they have a huge % of NHL tenders in their boot now.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Yeah it's what I was fearing, I guess I will wait until July to see what comes of the VH/True merger (they apparently have a skate product hitting the retail shelves), and also maybe see how I fit into other skates (or save up another 400 bucks for VH).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's a specific spur or something on your foot, I think the conventional fix is to get your boot punched at the spot where it hurts. Then use something like bunga pads to give a little bit of extra cushion for that spot.

If top end skates fix it for you that's great too, but there may be things you can do with whatever you have currently too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

johncho posted:

The Mako skates will feel 100% different after baking, its night and day.

I cant stand having other boots on my feet anymore. I bought another pair even though mine have a ton of life left since they dont make them anymore.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

how good are A players?

It's the highest-level in town so anywhere from J.P Dumont and Stu Grimson to probably good former high school players.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We played our semifinal playoff game last night.

The other team had a game changing ringer who was uncontested. He was so much faster and better with the puck that he could take it coast to coast with minimal effort and turned everyone into pylons. His own team couldn't even keep up or play with him. His goals were all 100% solo effort. We tried to shut him down and he would just dangle around and score.

At one point he was doing his thing, walked 3 of our guys through the neutral zone. Our captain was back checking straight back from center ice to our goalie in a completely straight line. This guy went really wide towards the right boards then cut in really sharp around one of our defensemen and towards center ice, dropped his shoulder for another deke and ran straight into our captain who was collapsing on the net.

There were so many hits during this game, mostly from people not being able to skate with their heads up. 90% of it was incidental. They had one guy who got up and screamed flailing his arms every time anyone made any sort of physical contact with him ... but surprise he was also one of the least controlled skaters on the ice and ran into poo poo on his own because his head was down. He boarded himself at one point, skating hard to the boards and fell on his own. He screamed that our player boarded him but our defenseman was at least 6 feet away from him with both hands on his stick which was on the ice. We got a penalty.

We ended up getting the majority of the penalties on all of the contact because our skaters kept their heads up and didn't fall over. It was really frustrating. Then they started taking the contact as intentional and started actively hitting us back.

At one point, they have a guy who is a giant big old fat guy (maybe 6-3, a solid 250+) and one of our skaters had the puck and skated straight into him. The guy stands over our player who is down on the ice on his back and continues to taunt him ... no penalty. He is doing it long enough that the ref is by our bench, we can point to it and tell him "So its okay for that guy to hit our guy, and stand over him taunting him?" and the ref just lets it be.

3rd period we're down 3-2.

Towards the end of the game I had a chance to skate up the left boards with the puck, and the defenseman behind me is their ringer. I catch a brutal slash across my calves and then start getting hooked and pulled. I keep the puck and go into the corners to drag this guy behind the net, I feel a cross check to my back and I'm on the ice. I get up because I hear a whistle thinking we have a power play with 30 seconds left.

Nope.

They call a delay of game penalty because our captain who was trailing me was interfered with while crossing the blue line behind me, and got into it with one of their guys. Both refs completely missed me being checked behind the net despite the fact that I'm carrying the puck with a scoring opportunity with a few seconds left to tie the game.

Fuckers. Oh well, theres always next season.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verman posted:

next season.

I would probably be shopping for another league by now

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
yeah that's loving bullshit, and you don't need that frustration.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

It's the highest-level in town so anywhere from J.P Dumont and Stu Grimson to probably good former high school players.

thats slapper rule is super crazy then

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

I would probably be shopping for another league by now

We discussed that during post game drinks. Its a possibility but we really only have one other option.

Oh well. On a side note, I can't loving wait for the NHL playoffs to start on wednesday.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

We discussed that during post game drinks. Its a possibility but we really only have one other option.

Oh well. On a side note, I can't loving wait for the NHL playoffs to start on wednesday.

With the Skaha league now existing there is an option and you'd think the gshl would up its game. We were waiting for our 2nd place shot glasses and they never came. Captain texted the league president and he didnt expect the season to be ending (WTF?!). Also, I haven't had any of these bad reffed games in a while but see them commonly here & in FB-land.

My game & season also ended 3-2 last night. Team that was bottom of the league all season finally got it's ringers to show up all playoffs and went undefeated. One guy who was there most of the season had 31 goals in 15 games. The other guy played D and skated better backwards than anyone on our team forward. On the bright side I ended up getting both goals for my team on breakaways somehow. First goal was a beauty, went high glove and just below cross bar. Second one he was hugging the post moreso and just put it 5-hole.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Someone post a hockey story, sellouts is getting antsy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was scrumming for the puck behind our goal with a dude and somehow my thumbnail got bent back and it bled a lot and is really sore. This happens more than I'd like so I'm thinking of taping the tip of both my thumbs before a game to try and avoid it.

please like and subscribe, it really helps

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I started to play center and I'm bad at it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Teeter posted:

At least you're aware of it.

A lot of people think center is just another winger who takes faceoffs.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Teeter posted:

Center is REALLY HARD. It's rewarding as hell when you're wreaking havoc on the opposing center and winning faceoffs, but not easy.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We won the low division of this weekends past stinky socks tournament, and they gave us a cup to celebrate with. One guy produced a bottle of champagne in the locker room ( I know, right?) and we all drank from the cup like the real pros that we are. A little while later they came back to get the cup, apparently they only have one and it had been used by all the divisions ahead of us as well - we were the last game of the final day. blarrrch.

That's my hockey story to keep sellouts from becoming antsy. Please contribute to the kickstarter to make the movie based on these events.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So in my search of new skates, I've tried on a bunch of brands at a couple of stores, and the CCM Tacks seem the best with my collapsing arches.

What was odd though was that although one store had 5092 and 6092 (which is about the range that I'm looking for), the other had something called CCM Tacks Classic Pro (not this store, but description wise http://sportsexcellence.com/product/ccm-tacks-classic-pro-skates/) which from the description shows that it's somewhere in between. But actually cheaper than the 5092's price. They also had the Classic Pro+, which is a grade higher, but alas not in my size.

Anyone else seen these Classic Pros? All signs point to a good deal, I might pick them up tomorrow if there's no red flags.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
At my regular D-level games they don't allow slap shots, but they did at the tournament I played in this weekend so everyone was trying to show off. I saw more shots fly way over the net than actually on target and it never stopped being funny to me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pleads posted:

Someone post a hockey story, sellouts is getting antsy

The Goal.
A One act play.

ACT I

CURTAIN RISE, DROP IN 9:45PM MDT

WHITE TEAM ENTERS THE ZONE, STAGE LEFT. ONE MEMBER OF THE WHITE TEAM IS WEARING A RED JERSEY AND, FOR REASONS KNOWN ONLY TO HIM, A PINNIE.

Narrator: Tonight was a pretty tough drop-in. A lot of the DU club kids were out en force. Captain dangles, johnny tryhard, and their buddy who probably didn't make the team, but still skates with them anyway.

They were on the bench for this shift.

As my team hit the zone with speed, dark team's back-check was tenacious. They'd been mostly tearing up our zone all night, but this was our chance.

A quick 10 seconds brought the rest of our paltry force in with us. Pass to the point, then cross ice. Back down to one of my offensive partners on the low wing boards.

A WHITE PLAYER MOVES INTO THE AREA BETWEEN THE SLOT AND THE LEFT FACEOFF CIRCLE. HE IS NOT SPOTTED BY DARK.

Narrator: I moved into the area between the slot and the left face off circle. I wasn't spotted by dark.

My counterpart on the far side sees me and rips a crazy nice pass. I prepare to snap redirect it. Wind up, but the goalie seems almost completely prepared for the pass.

I grip my stick as hard as I can. My blade in position to put it up and in, short side. The puck makes contact.

ACTORS MOVE IN SLOW MOTION

Narrator: As the puck begins to come off my blade, I can see in the goalies eyes that he has me. He knew the redirect was coming. Side-to-side in a flash. He has the entirety of my side covered now. He hovers, menacingly over almost every single corner of the area between myself and the glory of tattered rope and steel that lives behind him.

CUE: FAAAAAAAAAAAART

THE PUCK TUMBLES ENDLESSLY IN A GENTLE ARC, UP AND OVER THE GOALIE'S OUTSTRETCHED AND NOW FLAILING GLOVE. TRAVELING AT AN EMBARRASSINGLY LOW SPEED, THE PUCK MAKES CONTACT WITH THE FAR POST, BARELY CARRYING ENOUGH SPEED TO MAKE A "PING" NOISE. THEN IN.

Narrator: I got all of it.

FIN

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Are you still playing in so cal?

Did you ever end up going to that Tues night drop in

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dangerllama posted:

The Goal.
A One act play.

:golfclap:

In today's lesson, we worked mostly on stopping. My biggest issue is that when I try to do a hockey stop, I don't end up completely stopped. I slow down a ton, but then I end up just turning and going very slowly in the new direction that I'm facing. I don't know if it means I'm not digging in enough with my front foot, if my weight distribution is messed up, or some combination of both.

In good news, I'm doing sharp turns like a pro now. Also, we did some sprints today and I'm the fastest skater in my Wednesday class. :smug:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

Are you still playing in so cal?

Did you ever end up going to that Tues night drop in

Yeah, I've been playing entirely at Skating Edge lately.

I go to Tues drop in maybe twice a month, it's my favorite pickup group so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hockey story: had an 11:15 start last night and 7 skaters. We lost, but not by that much. I'm real tired today. There was a goal scored via slapshot.