Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I almost never fly, would it be worth opening a SkyMiles credit card for 50k bonus miles to then burn on an award upgrade for a flight from Beijing to Chicago? I spoke with them on the phone and while the "reward price" for one leg in business is 36k miles and a $60 copay, they have stated they aren't sure whether there will be award upgrades available.

Worth pursuing or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I almost never fly, would it be worth opening a SkyMiles credit card for 50k bonus miles to then burn on an award upgrade for a flight from Beijing to Chicago? I spoke with them on the phone and while the "reward price" for one leg in business is 36k miles and a $60 copay, they have stated they aren't sure whether there will be award upgrades available.

Worth pursuing or nah?

36k seems absurdly low for a transpac business award. That seems low for a transpac coach award.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No because you don't travel much and I can almost guarantee it won't be available for your specific flight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Worth pursuing or nah?

don't do it

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thoguh posted:

36k seems absurdly low for a transpac business award. That seems low for a transpac coach award.

It's the upgrade fee, and it turns out it's also +$600.

I've elected not to pursue it. gently caress churning.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Alaska charges just 35k in premium economy to Asia on Cathay :cool:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Fists Up posted:

A few days late but I can help here as I know there aren't many Australians here. You do know you can get 75 bonus status credits with Qantas from some new credit cards? Although it might be too late for that.

Also if you're flying domestically a fair bit then I'd stick to Qantas if you can. I just much prefer their domestic network, planes, terminals and lounges.

Yeah I found out about that, it takes three months for the points to be credited. I'll stick with Qantas and just purchase club membership.

Really the only issue with club instead of gold is no access to non Qantas branded lounges (aside from the Emirates DXB lounge). The only issue I've had has been in Amsterdam, where I ended up purchasing a single entry pass.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

yoloer420 posted:

So I'm going to be 70 status credits short of Qantas gold this year (work sends me economy, even long haul). Should I swap to star alliance? I fly out of Australia, mostly to US and Singapore.

I'm looking for a good lounge network both in Australia and US/South East Asia. Any thoughts?

Work will pay for lounge membership.

If you switch to Star Alliance, you can get United Club membership which gets you global Star Alliance lounge access until you get Star Gold. (this doesn't include contract lounges)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Worth pursuing or nah?

SkyMiles are really good for upgrading on KLM. It's 25000 miles each way (no co-pay) to upgrade from economy to business day-of-departure if there's any open seats. I did that on this trip.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in the right fare class you can use miles to upgrade which is exactly the same process and priority as a global upgrade.

I think one part is different, the waitlist doesn't carry over to the airport upgrade list so if no OP opens you are hosed. Like me right now about to board GRU-ATL.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Arzakon posted:

I think one part is different, the waitlist doesn't carry over to the airport upgrade list so if no OP opens you are hosed. Like me right now about to board GRU-ATL.

RIP-YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Welp I'm done with GRU-ATL-NRT and it was fine. About to nap for 8 hours to SIN in first so no meltdown (queue incoming cancellation and loss of upgrade).

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Congrats on the upgrade, enjoy it! You might've already checked, but is the upgrade fare for SQ still eligible for mileage earning? I think you were doing this for points, and for some carriers upgrade fare is not eligible.

Probably worth it for the sanity alone, but still.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I'm on Delta and still expect to be paid out on my B fare.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone else also get incredibly hosed over with Delta this week?

I get the weather sucks but they switched me to flight on a completely different day when there were other flights on the same day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nope but I'm on my little transat island out of Boston so I am pretty insulated from network effects.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I moved anything I had booked through ATL to MSP or DET for a couple of weeks after the first day of storms. Delta should waive my rebooking fees in appreciation :colbert:

(they probably would if I asked)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Delta has had a fairly solid operation, even though prior to the last few days they would make their numbers appear good by simply delaying flights forever rather than canceling. The scope of their meltdown is pretty spectacular and reminds me a lot of JetBlue back in the day. It will be interesting to see how they recover and what they do for passengers

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I have 50k AA miles, 25k Avios and 100k Chase points. Any suggestions for how to get to Australia next year? I would prefer something above coach but I can survive in coach.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Last weekend I got delayed out of Detroit by three hours, took off, had to return to Detroit, switch planes, sit on the runway, and get in 5 hours late. On the return trip my 10pm flight out of Detroit got delayed until 3am.

I'm flying through Detroit again next weekend. Hopefully things don't keep on melting down for Delta.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I have 50k AA miles, 25k Avios and 100k Chase points. Any suggestions for how to get to Australia next year? I would prefer something above coach but I can survive in coach.

My guess is coach on United is going to be your best bet. BA awards are distance based so that will cost you more than United will out of LAX/SFO.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Milesaver to AUS on AA is 40k miles

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Milesaver to AUS on AA is 40k miles

sAAver to Australia.. hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahha

idk about economy but business and first was not even worth the search

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
I know little about One World, but transfering the Chase points to BA puts you in a good spot for at least business on AA or Qantas, no?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

I know little about One World, but transfering the Chase points to BA puts you in a good spot for at least business on AA or Qantas, no?

Two problems: BA awards are distance based as I noted above so J awards are obscenely expensive. Also, partner availability out of the US to SYD or MEL is likely to be extremely sparse.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Honestly, there's not many great redemption options for oneworld. AA has gotten really stingy and increased their prices, and BA is only good for niche uses. It's a large part why many oneworld fans, particularly various travel/credit card bloggers have all played up AS a lot. AS partners with CX, JL, QF, and LA, which is a big chunk of the alliance's premium carriers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

sAAver to Australia.. hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahha

idk about economy but business and first was not even worth the search

Had no problem earlier this year to AKL or SYD in economy, which is all you're getting for 40k

Edit: yeah dude idk what you're talking about. 40k Econ awards lax to syd are pretty plentiful in both ways when I searched right now.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i fly airplanes posted:

BA is only good for niche uses

It's a great program if you find a niche that works for you. I use my Avios to fly IND<->PHL to visit my sister. Plentiful award availability, and short enough to be 7,500 each way in economy.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Had no problem earlier this year to AKL or SYD in economy, which is all you're getting for 40k

Edit: yeah dude idk what you're talking about. 40k Econ awards lax to syd are pretty plentiful in both ways when I searched right now.

yea i was talkin about business or first. economy looks decent. but a big problem with AA is that they are super stingy with domestic award space, so unless you live in LA it's gonna be tough

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Again idk I took random feeder routes from ord dfw and JFK and all had availability this week one way and both ways at some point in the next 2 to syd

Dude said he was fine with Econ. His 50k AA will get him one way.

The worst part about the award is that Sydney is totally underwhelming

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

the prices were overwhelming tho :smith:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm seated in AA premium economy. It's decent, pretty much everything I want out of an airline seat with none of the sexiness. Nice large recliner, 2 across.

Also, this is my first ever free upgrade (Econ to Prem Econ) after like 100k miles of flying. I have had one 500-mile upgrade clear ever, too. Frequent flying looked cooler from the outside, I thought status passengers got more free poo poo than this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

100k miles of flying in a calendar year, or ever?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

I'm seated in AA premium economy. It's decent, pretty much everything I want out of an airline seat with none of the sexiness. Nice large recliner, 2 across.

Also, this is my first ever free upgrade (Econ to Prem Econ) after like 100k miles of flying. I have had one 500-mile upgrade clear ever, too. Frequent flying looked cooler from the outside, I thought status passengers got more free poo poo than this.

Are you talking about the new Premium Economy on AA's Dreamliners from DFW? That's only free for elites for a limited time, currently coded as Main Cabin Extra seats. they very well intend to start selling them as a separate product!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason to choose American over Delta for their middle tier status? I like Delta's comfort plus seats for being closer to the front.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 10, 2017

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Smooth move, United

https://twitter.com/JayseDavid/status/851422905883926528

https://twitter.com/united/status/851423254908739584

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That is going to be a juicy lawsuit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That guy is gonna end up with a hell of a lot more than an $800 voucher out of this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love that Expedia suggested I take boutique air to get from lax to oak. I can't imagine the unsuspecting passenger hopping on a PC-12 and connecting in Merced.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Per social media, that guy is a physician and was traveling back to do a shift at his hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The sneakingly egregious part of it is that it's being reported as an overbooked flight but actually they were bumping people to make way for their own employees.