Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Cemetry Gator posted:

But also, is this what we're going to do, now? Like, it's cool if you don't like Sgt. Peppers. But you can still acknowledge that it was an important work and well executed. And it might be interesting to take a look behind the curtain and see what treasures lay there.

it's what we're going to do now, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

all classic rock records should be incinerated

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bought a triumph record once that looked like it was leaning against a furnace for a while.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Sgt Peepers is one of my favorite vinyls to listen to on the mono

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'd love for a remixed/remastered Abbey Road, tho.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This thread should be incinerated

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ballz posted:

Yeah I want to see Greedo shoot first in all the movies

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ballz posted:

What is the issue with the '12 180g release?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 7, 2017

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

the music on it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good Morning Good Morning is my favorite Beatles deep cut, but I'm not buying Sgt. Pepper yet again.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
the beetles sucks you guys here's some lithuanian death metal that only had a 10-pressing run, that poo poo's hot

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
lol i love it when yall do that thank you

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Peas and Rice posted:

the beetles sucks you guys here's some lithuanian death metal that only had a 10-pressing run, that poo poo's hot

sounds sick whats the band called

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Spermgod posted:

sounds sick whats the band called

It doesn't have a name that's why it's cool and the vinyls always comes in some sick colors bro

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
stalinpussy, I got their 7" off discogs for like $100

Seriously who the gently caress cares what other people like jesus christ.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
right now i'm listening to the old 3LP version of Europe '72

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Peas and Rice posted:

Seriously who the gently caress cares what other people like jesus christ.

this thread would be posting mailorder arrivals into the void if people like me didn't like to see your terrible taste and opinions and make jokes about them

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
ok fair point

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
actually i'm wrong that posting would be briefly interrupted by the annual "Record Store Day: Bad or Nah" vinyl goon symposium

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

just put this record on, it's really great

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's the good poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JehovahsWetness posted:

right now i'm listening to the old 3LP version of Europe '72

Nice.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I went to see Huoratron live and bought all the color variants of the new EP because it was pretty cheap. The merch dude gave me a free copy of Cryptocracy on CD. Yay.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

stalinpussy, I got their 7" off discogs for like $100

http://www.popsike.com/SPAZZ-Funky-Platter-1-EP-14-made-Slap-A-Ham-Power-Violence-Infest-punk-7/221236779879.html

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Peas and Rice posted:

it is

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Found last night thrifting amongst the usual garbage, what secrets do you hold

Yes - Sorcerer's Apprentice, turns out. Score, $4 well spent.

e: and also this

Which is pretty awesome. Missing the other record though. Maybe I'll go have another look and see if I just missed it

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 8, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

don't lie you paid a billion grillion bucks on discogs to score that nuggets test

in other news

http://pitchfork.com/news/72728-la-la-land-soundtrack-best-selling-vinyl-of-2017-so-far/

of course

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

don't lie you paid a billion grillion bucks on discogs to score that nuggets test

in other news

http://pitchfork.com/news/72728-la-la-land-soundtrack-best-selling-vinyl-of-2017-so-far/

of course

Some cool music on that list.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I want to know where these thrift stores are that have anything other than old Christmas albums and Barry Manilow comps.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

$4, hand to the vinyl thrifting gods

Went back to look for the other disc, but alas, no luck. I did grab the two other white labels that were there though. Both Gentle Giant albums, Playing the Foole and Among the Darkers.

CPL593H posted:

I want to know where these thrift stores are that have anything other than old Christmas albums and Barry Manilow comps.

And Mantovani and classical box sets. But someone looks to have offloaded a pretty decent collection of prog rock at this one. And all of the Jimmy Buffett. Which I bought also 😅

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My god I've never seen so many grandma albums in my life. 100% garbage, not even any Herb Alpert among them.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

My god I've never seen so many grandma albums in my life. 100% garbage, not even any Herb Alpert among them.

It looks like they've never thrown anything away, that's a scary. Most places I've been to will toss everything once in a while to get rid of the garbage-garbage.

Ive had to hit a few different thrift stores once a week or so to find anything worth buying even 50% of the time. By "worth buying" I normally mean some dad rock I'm willing to take a chance on. Good luck if you ever expect to find a stalinpussy 7in or something a dead middle aged person wouldnt have.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got a shitload of Rupert Holmes LPs at a Salvation Army once so sorry you guys have bad luck.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey vinyl thread! Let's say you're in LA: what's a good place to pick up records? Like are there any particular thrift stores you might recommend? Feel kind of ashamed to admit this but I've never been to Amoeba. Is it a good store? Are there any other places I could check out? Got a little money in my pocket and I want to pick up some more records.

Also, what if you've got a hankering for 78's? Got some of my grandma's old shellac records a while back and they're neat in a hosed-up "everyone remotely involved in this recording is long dead" kinda way.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Allen Wren posted:

in other news

of course

One positive take about that list is that it's mostly new releases and not just Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Nirvana. Speaks about the viability of new music on vinyl and hopefully encourages the format.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey vinyl thread! Let's say you're in LA: what's a good place to pick up records? Like are there any particular thrift stores you might recommend? Feel kind of ashamed to admit this but I've never been to Amoeba. Is it a good store? Are there any other places I could check out? Got a little money in my pocket and I want to pick up some more records.

mount analog

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

revmoo posted:

The terribly panned stereo mix that plagues every Beatles album, and the number one reason neckbeards declare "the mono version is better."

Problem with Abbey Road is, no mono version exists. The 2012 stereo version remastered the audio, but the crappy left-right channel issue remains. The album has to be fully remixed to resolve the issue.

All their studio albums should get new stereo mixes, but Abbey Road needs it more than the others.

Edit: I discovered I had a blown computer speaker once when I listened to Abbey Road and could literally only hear half of the instrumentation.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

Edit: I discovered I had a blown computer speaker once when I listened to Abbey Road and could literally only hear half of the instrumentation.

I literally had the same thing happen in a work vehicle. Didn't know the right speaker wasn't working until I tried to listen to Abbey Road.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'll be in Vegas later this month, any good record stores where I can spend all my winnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ballz posted:

The terribly panned stereo mix that plagues every Beatles album, and the number one reason neckbeards declare "the mono version is better."

Problem with Abbey Road is, no mono version exists. The 2012 stereo version remastered the audio, but the crappy left-right channel issue remains. The album has to be fully remixed to resolve the issue.

All their studio albums should get new stereo mixes, but Abbey Road needs it more than the others.

Ty for recordposting.

My understanding is that there were some QC issues on the '12 press, but I think there were a lot more successful copies minted than people think. Mine has a handful of defects but it still sounds amazing imo.