Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bigmandan posted:

Is there a to do that with ironman saves? It only uses on save file right?

edit:

here is the save file anyways: ironman.sav

got it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is Mechanist a trap civic? There was some conversation earlier but I'm curious about what people think now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Aaaa, what the heck. I wanted to mod it so that migration was still possible for a caste-system species (because really, why would that lock off migration for the free pops?). You can take out the "has_citizenship_type = { country = from type = citizenship_caste_system }" from the NOR block under no migration control just fine - but you still can't pick no migration! It just removes the helpful popup explaining why you can't pick it. Delightful.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Aethernet posted:

It's not finished. Make sure you have an admiral and have built any buildings. Something will come up to research, but it can take quite a while.

Buildings as in the Loop Institute and the Spiral-Fused Power Grid? Those are the ones I have.

But cool, thanks. I've made it into the "Gaia terraforming worlds en masse for kicks" phase of the game and my neighbours are all peaceful, behind me in tech by miles, and also short on worlds worth cleansing and repopulating (also I've surveyed half the galaxy and nobody anywhere has any goddamn Zro, ugh), so I'm happy to see what batshit places this goes.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 9, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So is Mechanist a trap civic? There was some conversation earlier but I'm curious about what people think now.

I mean, it's a civic. You can always reform out of it for 250 influence after game start. It's mediocre in my opinion though because you're already super resource starved in the early game so you don't get much opportunity to build more robots until you're at the point in the game where you might have researched the tech anyway.

Now if the robots were extra POPs, instead of just replacing 4 starting POPs of your species then it would be a great opener.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Kitchner posted:

There are conceivably situations where you have nothing you want to spend either resource on. For example, you may be playing a "tall" empire with like 5 planets and you've hit fleet cap and upgraded all your buildings.

It doesn't need to be anything groundbreakingly awesome, just some small reward which says "Your society doesn't need to give a poo poo about this because it's totally abundant". I mean that's what the food stockpiling is right? When you reach max you get a bonus to growth because there's like poo poo tons of food so no one goes hungry or anything. Just do something similar for minerals and energy.

Isn't that what living standards basically is for minerals? If you can afford it, happier people.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean, it's a civic. You can always reform out of it for 250 influence after game start.
Nah, you can't reform out of that one or the secondary species one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, you can't reform out of that one or the secondary species one.

Yeah. It's entirely front-loaded which means there's no way to get out of it.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. It's entirely front-loaded which means there's no way to get out of it.

Wouldn't be so bad if it also gave a permanent robot maintenance decrease. I'm thinking maybe a mod is in order. ;)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

KingLemming posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if it also gave a permanent robot maintenance decrease. I'm thinking maybe a mod is in order. ;)

It seems to give a 5% maintenance decrease. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the game, but someone on Reddit found it in the code and if you look at your starting setup your 4 robots cost 3 energy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Shroud question (spoiling to be safe): is the Psychic Avatar you get from the shroud permanent? I mean, sure the dude's powerful, but I'm not aiming to start any wars at the moment.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I'm getting a really annoying bug in my current playthrough, one that I'm enjoying quite a lot and don't want to restart. An early space-age primitive race just outside my borders finally got FTL and is expanding, but I have no way to contact them. They never showed up on my event sheet, but they're tagged in the map as "Nu Aliens". They aren't in the species tab, and they have no empire colors, so now there's just this blank hole growing into my borders with these dumb aliens at the center. Is there a console command to force the game to recognize them, or if not, just wipe them off the map?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Mechanist looks worse on paper than it is. You start with robots and powered exoskeletons (+5% mins), and having 4 pops as robots means that you'll cap on food and grow your normal guys faster than other people. Your robots also get a 10% mineral gathering boost, which is a decent bonus. You don't need to be trying to pump out robots or anything to get a pretty nice start off of it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Big shout-out to my federation allies who managed to piss off a Fallen Empire. I've got a 12K stack of ships, and he's steaming into my systems with at least two 50K doomstacks. Good job, guys.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sandweed posted:

Oh boy these horrors from another dimension are super fun when they just start swarming you.

Gotta plan ahead knowing that one of the disasters is going to happen. The perk that gives you a 50% damage boost against crisis enemies is super useful since it makes the AI makes some really poor decisions vs your fleets.

Generally you'll be up against multiple 50-60k fleets so you need something that can handle those.

With the dimensional horrors, I've found that if you enter a system with a gate in it they'll swarm all their fleets back to defend it, and their fleets are fast as hell. For this reason, it's essential that you hunt down and kill their fleets first before you attack the gate. If you're not sure if you've got them all, you can go to a gate system and hang out on the outskirts. If a bunch of extra fleets turn up, you'll have a chance to get the hell out of there as long as you stay away from the system entry points. Once that happens, you'll know where the fleets are and you'll have a good chance of tracking them and picking them off once they start attacking systems again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Okay, here's some of the main races from my novel for Species Submissions. They're not all perfect fits because, well, game doesn't map perfectly, but there's surprisingly close, especially how the government forms tended to be precisely what I envisioned just from choosing the right other ethics and stuff.

Nesh Concord

The fossil records indicate that the prehistoric Nesh possessed a third arm in addition to their still-existing third leg, but presumably that limb offered no advantages to the newly tool-using species, as today the only sign of it is a small nub in the center of the chest. Thin, tall, and not especially strong, the Nesh are subjectively described as either exceedingly graceful or exceedingly awkward. The Nesh are a species who are thoroughly devoted to the political, and have consequently come to enjoy a system of high engagement and rigorous decision making at every level. Arranged into groupings called Concords, which can be as small as a family and as large as the entire society, the Nesh both adore and take seriously the task of building, maintaining, and improving upon society. They are also deeply concerned with individual rights, while the freeform nature of Concords allows fairly easy absorption of other peoples, provided they are willing to adopt the basic principles of Nesh organization.

Free Nanek States

Very large, six-limbed lizards, the Nanek are a species with a sorry history. Raided repeatedly for slaves before they themselves achieved spaceflight, the Nanek organized into a hierarchical and extremely militarized society; they are dedicated to the protection of their people and liberation of any descendants of the taken to the point of monomania. Their early steps into space were somewhat ramshackle, but in time better experience led to better technologies, and now the military junta is working to create a stellar empire wherein Nanek can be ensured of their security.

Vanorrean Fiefdoms

The Vanorre's history is one of progress interrupted. Several coincidental disasters ravaged their homeworld just as revolutions in democracy and liberty had taken hold. A full quarter of Pirliam died in the Many Years of Troubles that followed, with plague, war, a volcanic winter, and eventually total societal collapse in most regions. In one area, a theocratically-backed monarchy asserted itself. When the natural abatement of the disasters was taken as a sign that the 'old ways' were the correct ones, any hope of returning to progress was lost, and the monarchy easily brought its authority to the whole world. Now a religious, slave-holding, feudal society, the Vanorrean Fiefdoms have nonetheless progressed technologically, and are poised to display the rightness of their hierarchy to the galaxy at large.

United States of Ivion

Ulens are a proud, ancient people, who have been content on their homeworld for millennia in a system of careful administration and slow growth. Eventually, however, the resources of home had to run out, and the government has carefully shepherded those that remain to ensure the success of a space program that will bring resources home and allow the preservation of the Ulens's way of life. Yet there are risks in this too, and not all are sure the United States of Ivion can go unchanged in the face of whatever lurks in the darkness.

Serene Enterprise

The deeply religious Serene Enterprise began as a single cult, but rapidly spread across the homeworld and adopted more and more competencies until the old ways of life had been subsumed, the old levers of power demolished. Committed above all else to spiritual enlightenment, the Eshenti are eager to learn about all other faiths in the universe, and are interested in technology as well - for God will be made by mortal hands, though We know yet not in what form.

Unified Principalities

The great debate among Princely critics is whether a perfect factory schedule or a perfect mining drill would be the greater artistic achievement. They have no concept of form, only function, and whilst other societies might follow sports teams, pop culture for the Yamms revolves more around following factory complexes as they compete to turn out the most personal vehicles, the best home appliances, and lately, the best spacecraft. Space is just another location for industrial exploitation and the development of wonderful new industries.

All in here; https://pastebin.com/WPrgT0Sf

I had to omit a few races too; the humans aren't distinct enough from the good-guy ones in game, there's a power which would need some modding and at least two custom systems, and one which would be an Awakened Empire. Ideally I'd have also been able to dictate that the Vanorre started with some Nanek slaves, but it's not a big deal in that case.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Am I supposed to do something when I find my precursors home system? I've scanned every planet and flew around with a ship over a blown-up planet with debris around it but nothing ever happens and the mission sits in my event log. All I can do is hit track on map.
No need to spoil, just wonder if I need to research something or just wait or if Im bugged.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

saihttam posted:

Am I supposed to do something when I find my precursors home system? I've scanned every planet and flew around with a ship over a blown-up planet with debris around it but nothing ever happens and the mission sits in my event log. All I can do is hit track on map.
No need to spoil, just wonder if I need to research something or just wait or if Im bugged.

A very common bug with Precursor event chains.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Mister Adequate posted:

Ah that sucks

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

Mechanist looks worse on paper than it is. You start with robots and powered exoskeletons (+5% mins), and having 4 pops as robots means that you'll cap on food and grow your normal guys faster than other people. Your robots also get a 10% mineral gathering boost, which is a decent bonus. You don't need to be trying to pump out robots or anything to get a pretty nice start off of it.

I actually think it's one of the strongest civics - many of them are quite weak by comparison. It enables you to start with the equivalent of a Very Strong, Thrifty and Intelligent race - giving you a massive leg up at the start.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
How did you even get to the precursor home world? In my games I get like 4-5 artifacts, then I never find one again.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

peak debt posted:

How did you even get to the precursor home world? In my games I get like 4-5 artifacts, then I never find one again.

Guess I was lucky, played on a 600 star spiral galaxy with friendlies around me so I could scan everywhere.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Played my first Utopia game (still not quite done, but 250 years in) on the 1.5.1 patch.

Went for a Fanatic Pacifist Unity-heavy focus to fill out Tradition -- looks like it's completely useless after you max out (ended up replacing buildings).

Had the Unbidden crisis trigger (Unbidden crisis spoilers):

I was playing on a tiny galaxy, so at that point was just me, an (Awakened Fallen Empire that I had pledged fealty to), and another friendly-ish empire. The Unbidden warped into the friendly empire, then a second wave of Unbidden of a different type warped in, and then a third wave of Unbidden of yet another type warped in.

I was losing my closest systems and the friendly empire was getting obliterated entirely. The awakened fallen empire (originally Holy Guardians) did nothing.

Eventually the third type of Unbidden somehow destroyed the second type, and then the second type got destroyed by the first type. Then, weirdly, the already destroyed second type destroyed the portal for the first type.

Some few Unbidden ships still floated around in my space but didn't chase or attack unless attacked or other Unbidden units were attacked.

I ended up re-colonizing all the space I had lost, along with a bunch of what had been the friendly empire's space (since they didn't re-colonize quickly enough). Pretty crazy you can have ~15 planets under direct control (core sector) now.

I also went down Psonic Ascension options

Made a deal with the Shroud, but so far haven't seen any adverse consequences. I'm told that there are though.

Also had a weird event where my pretty elf people discovered an ancient forebear race entombed on their planet

And one of my scientists genetically engineered himself into it, then made a virus that infected everyone to genetically engineer into the forebear race.

Long story short my pretty elf people became ugly humanoid aliens. But at least they gained the Intelligent trait?

Not sure which event chain that was related to (Horizon Signal? Worm in Waiting? Shroud stuff?), but was pretty awesome/fun/unexpected when it happened.

Finally got to Megastructures and started building some. Holy they take a lot of minerals. Right now just running the game at max speed in the background to complete some megastructures as I need so many minerals to advance them.

Game is fun, if a bit buggy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

peak debt posted:

Be cheeky and use the console to spawn the anomaly on some random planet.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Shroud question (spoiling to be safe): is the Psychic Avatar you get from the shroud permanent? I mean, sure the dude's powerful, but I'm not aiming to start any wars at the moment.

Yep it's yours until it's dead.

Just remember that thing is powerful but don't rely on it much on its own. It's still only four (very powerful) guns and it's very shield heavy so if a fleet strips its shield it won't last long. It's drat good as a part of another fleet though.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait they haven't fixed this yet? It's been in since launch.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I managed to make habitats useful.

So I decided to toy with an Inward Perfection game, and right after I start I decided to go maximum research. Things went well on that front, and with layering research bonus upon research bonus with the Planetary Survey Corps on the side things were going incredibly fast. Expansion wasn't going great, though. Got hemmed in by a peaceful species I don't feel a desire to conquer, an Advanced Start I cannot conquer, and a xenophobe FE that's wide band of gently caress-you is keeping me out of some excellent systems.

All that taken together I got habitats around the 70 year mark and plenty of expansion pressure to relieve using them. I grant this is happening primarily due to the OP-as-gently caress PSC tradition, but still, it's nice to actually start to use habitats in a way they're probably intended.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Do I really have to design my ships to be effective or is the autobuild good enough? I hate unit design mechanics in these kinds of games.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Overall this is great and I'm having a blast, but I have to say I'm really not a fan of how every lategame empire will have eventually taken every tradition tree. It's weird that you've got this system in place that is supposed to represent distinct societal characteristics and give every empire some individual flavor, and yet every empire will sooner or later end up with all of them, unless you're deliberately handicapping yourself.

It really doesn't make sense for my race of agrarian utopian commie pacifists to take Domination, Supremacy, or Prosperity, but I've gotta take one to unlock my next ascension perk, so whatever, I guess we're going to get really good at dominating all the vassal states we'll never have.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Is there any kind of reminder to show that the shroud is available to enter again? I was waiting for it to reappear in the situation log, but nope you go into contacts and talk to it to go back in. There doesn't seem to be an easy to way to see if its on cooldown though?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yep it's yours until it's dead.

Just remember that thing is powerful but don't rely on it much on its own. It's still only four (very powerful) guns and it's very shield heavy so if a fleet strips its shield it won't last long. It's drat good as a part of another fleet though.

Yeah, at the moment I'm just using it to level up my best admiral by beating on creeps. Like I said, I'm not looking to start poo poo at the moment.

Theswarms posted:

Is there any kind of reminder to show that the shroud is available to enter again? I was waiting for it to reappear in the situation log, but nope you go into contacts and talk to it to go back in. There doesn't seem to be an easy to way to see if its on cooldown though?

Press F1 to go to your Empire screen- there should be a modifier there (something like 'gathering energy' or summat of the sort) showing how long you have before you can go into the Shroud again. That said, it's a five-year cooldown, so my personal solution is to enter every Jan 1st of a year divisible by 5- easy bookkeeping!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Wait they haven't fixed this yet? It's been in since launch.

There's some progress, at least. In my recently started Utopia-game I finally managed to finish a precursor-chain without something bugging out. That's the first time since the game came out!

In every other game I started, the precursor-chains never worked. I'm guessing as the devs slowly fix the bugs plaguing this part of the game, the chance of the chain breaking should go down with each patch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe it's just luck based- for me, I've always been able to finish precursor quests post-1.4.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for federations? I get other empires into 170+ with shared everything, research agreements, migration treaty, everything, but they refuse to form a federation.

Also the Unbidden appearing right in the middle of an awoken empire, then getting it's poo poo pushed in a year later is kind of funny.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Is it viable to go full necron in utopia or nah?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

az posted:

Is it viable to go full necron in utopia or nah?

That's what I'm doing! My race is just chilling out in their space slowly going robotic. Once they go full synth I'm gonna unleash them across the galaxy to kill all the filthy meatbags!

But yeah there's an ascension perk where your dudes go cyborg, then another where they transfer their consciousness into synthetic bodies to go full robot.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

That's what I'm doing! My race is just chilling out in their space slowly going robotic. Once they go full synth I'm gonna unleash them across the galaxy to kill all the filthy meatbags!

But yeah there's an ascension perk where your dudes go cyborg, then another where they transfer their consciousness into synthetic bodies to go full robot.

I did that and had a spiritualist FE tell me that it wasn't ascension but collective suicide and that we were beyond saving at that point.

Then they kinda hated me.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Well since self slaving collectivists are no longer a thing I needed to find a new gimmick and it was either necrons of spiritualist psionic slugs!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

az posted:

Well since self slaving collectivists are no longer a thing I needed to find a new gimmick and it was either necrons of spiritualist psionic slugs!

Oh, no, you can still Slave Yourself with the Caste System. My Authoritarian/Spiritualist/Militaristic Dictatorship with Syncretic Evolution/Slaver Guilds started with both species in the Caste System.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

az posted:

Psionic is fun too. The Psionic trait has really good bonuses and the Shroud can yield some amazing benefits...also really bad stuff. Also if you have multiple races they'll begin to psychically awaken too over time so it's not just your primary.

• Locked thread