  • Post
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Ever read up on the Free State Project? It's a constant push for Libertarians to move to NH so they can reach a critical mass and commandeer the state's politics. Thousands have moved and they've gotten people elected.

I want a left-wing version. Just get everyone in the country who wants state-level UHC, Norwegian-style prisons, etc. to move to one place and get it done.

It's called Vermont.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Slashdot is apparently full of conspiracy theorists and trump voters. Check out the comments on any climate change article - posts about Susan Rice felonies and how CO2 is good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

cowofwar posted:

Slashdot is apparently full of conspiracy theorists and trump voters. Check out the comments on any climate change article - posts about Susan Rice felonies and how CO2 is good.

it's what plants crave!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Slashdot is apparently full of conspiracy theorists and trump voters. Check out the comments on any climate change article - posts about Susan Rice felonies and how CO2 is good.
Can you still roll in with a low user number and tell everyone to shut up simply by virtue of regdate? cuz I got a 4 digit ID and am ready to pick a fight, bitches

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Accretionist posted:

Ever read up on the Free State Project? It's a constant push for Libertarians to move to NH so they can reach a critical mass and commandeer the state's politics. Thousands have moved and they've gotten people elected.

I want a left-wing version. Just get everyone in the country who wants state-level UHC, Norwegian-style prisons, etc. to move to one place and get it done.

Well, take a shortcut and just move to Norway. What are they gonna do, the border guards are like five dudes and the country is like warm Alaska, only less populated - they ain't gonna find you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Slashdot is apparently full of conspiracy theorists and trump voters. Check out the comments on any climate change article - posts about Susan Rice felonies and how CO2 is good.

Slashdot still exists?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Harrow posted:

Slashdot still exists?

it's the simpsons of tech blogs

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

Slashdot is apparently full of conspiracy theorists and trump voters. Check out the comments on any climate change article - posts about Susan Rice felonies and how CO2 is good.

I hope these are all honeypots by the Global AI that's just collecting names for the great culling.

Hey, look at me being positive!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

TildeATH posted:

I hope these are all honeypots by the Global AI that's just collecting names for the great culling.

Hey, look at me being positive!

Old internet sites where everyone with something better has moved on and where the detritus has remained. Kind of like here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

cowofwar posted:

Old internet sites where everyone with something better has moved on and where the detritus has remained. Kind of like here.

This site was always meant to people looking for something awful.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Climate change is literally turning the Arctic ocean inside out
From: Washington Post
Date: April 6, 2017

quote:

There’s something special — and very counterintuitive — about the Arctic Ocean.

Unlike in the Atlantic or Pacific, where the water gets colder as it gets deeper, the Arctic is upside-down. The water gets warmer as it gets deeper. The reason is that warm, salty Atlantic-originating water that flows into the Arctic from the south is more dense, and so it nestles beneath a colder, fresher surface layer that is often capped by floating sea ice. This state of “stratification” makes the Arctic Ocean unique, and it means that waters don’t simply grow colder as you travel farther north — they also become inverted.

But in a paper in Science released Thursday, a team of Arctic scientists say this fundamental trait is now changing across a major part of the Arctic, in conjunction with a changing climate.

In a large area that they term the eastern Eurasian basin — north of the Laptev and East Siberian seas, which in turn are north of Siberia — the researchers found that warm Atlantic water is increasingly pushing to the surface and melting floating sea ice. This mixing, they say, has not only contributed to thinner ice and more areas of open water that used to be ice covered, but it also is changing the state of Arctic waters in a process the study terms “Atlantification” — and these characteristics could soon spread across more of the Arctic ocean, changing it fundamentally.

The study was led by Igor Polyakov of the University of Alaska at Fairbanks, in collaboration with a team of 15 researchers from the United States, Canada, Russia, Poland, Germany and Norway.

Those changes are occurring across about a quarter of the deep Arctic Ocean (the part that lies out beyond the continental shelves that encircle it).

One key feature of the change is that a middle layer of the ocean in the Arctic dubbed the “halocline” — a cold layer below the fresher surface where the water’s saltiness increases rapidly — is thinning and weakening. The halocline had previously served as a cap, preventing mixing between the cold fresh surface waters and warmer, saltier Atlantic waters — in essence preserving the distinct layers in the ocean. But that cap is now growing thinner, the research suggests.

The result is that at least half of the sea ice decline in recent years in this region can be attributed to warm ocean waters climbing up from the depths, rather than to the warming atmosphere.
←:alarm:

“This whole thing about the ocean’s role in sea ice retreat, it used to be minimal, but as sea ice retreats it’s one of those positive feedback mechanisms,” Carmack said. “And we’re talking a lot of heat in the Atlantic layer, it could melt all the ice in the Arctic if it were to pop up to the surface.”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm curious which will happen first: the thermohaline circulation shutting down, or the Arctic going ice-free. I'm guessing the latter but god the :smuggo: will be unbearable if polar ice retreat is temporarily halted by the former.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yesss we will all die soon :dance:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
:sax:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whoa, now that one is interesting data.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's actually really cool. In like, an abstract scientific and "wow I didn't know those records existed that far back" sense. It's depressing as hell in the "poo poo we really ruined this planet" sense.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It literally happened in DC this year too the cherries bloomed in like February

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
When do we expect Florida's housing market to be priced according to climate change ? A few pages back said 15-20 years for the sell off point be for getting the gently caress out? I'm wondering maybe it'll take longer, or much sooner, for house prices to plummet in water and in price.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That's a really hard question to answer. The problem with sea level rise is that most people tend to hear the term and think of the seas kind of slowly coming up and over people's homes, but the real problem is storm surge. There are lots of places where a slightly higher average sea level won't seem like a huge problem until a bad storm comes through and puts a ton of houses underwater.

So basically what I'm saying here is that it depends a lot on the weather. If we're unlucky and get a bunch of bad hurricanes or just severe storms smashing into the coast then yeah, the housing market in vulnerable areas will probably get hosed pretty quickly.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

The Arctic ocean changes remind me of this once more...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWCXOypJh4

The cherry blossom record is pretty awesome.

E: Oh goody another El Niño this year, perhaps.
:tif:

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

When's NYC gonna turn into the Manhattan Archipelago? I figure around then is when the rich and powerful will start caring.

It won't, Manhattan is surprisingly high above sea level. If Antarctic ice sheets start collapsing into the sea en masse the water may get to Wall Street within our lifetimes, but a flood-prone Battery Park is a more likely scenario. The Carolinas and Florida are where major population centers will be affected first.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

It won't, Manhattan is surprisingly high above sea level. If Antarctic ice sheets start collapsing into the sea en masse the water may get to Wall Street within our lifetimes, but a flood-prone Battery Park is a more likely scenario. The Carolinas and Florida are where major population centers will be affected first.

Yea, but like Paradoxish wrote above, the real danger for coastal cities, at least in the next 40-50 years, is not everyday sea levels rising. It's storm surges. Hurricane Sandy should give you a good idea of what kind of damage they can cause. And it will only get worse as time goes by, as hurricanes become stronger due to warming oceans.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Right. A lot of people don't realize that Hurricane Sandy actually hosed NYC up pretty badly. Like, badly enough that the city would be in real trouble if similar storms came around every four or five years even without sea levels increasing at all. You can't just look at an online sea level rise map and say "oh, nothing is underwater until sea levels go up by a foot or more." That isn't the problem.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
In addition to that, people don't realize that it isn't the mechanical effects of climate change that is going to impact them first. The sudden devaluation of property in coastal areas is going to cause some intense economic shock waves. Even coastal properties which are safe from storm surges will be devalued significantly (entirely). Nobody is going to be buying property after Louisiana and Florida just lost billions of dollars into thin air. No banks are going to give 30 year mortgages when property is losing value NOW. no insurance agency is going to give out insurance to houses that are almost guaranteed to be hosed. This is a depression level event. And it won't be just isolated to one country. If the United States feels a climate change trigged economic recess, every single country is going to experience the exact same thing.

In saying that, this would be the best thing that could happen to use. The world is nowhere near the commitment to stay under 2°C. A depression could provide a nice temporary decrease in emissions. protests could lead to political upheaval, and rebuilding efforts would be hopefully be environmentally and climate change conscience.

accelerationism_zizek.png

5 minute summary of a lecture describing the upgrading of sea level projections. possibility of 2m by 2100 lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ivlofypzE

I don't like to link climatecentral too much, but whatever. this article talks about cities being flooded weekly within decades
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/coastal-cities-flood-three-times-a-week-2045-21153

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
We all know that Florida property is going to experience "climate effects" and devaluation but we don't know when. At some point the market is going to realize this too. Economic devaluation could happen well before any major or even the worst climate effects.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

it will be interesting to see how humans and other animals evolve to deal with climate change. i predict most mammals lose all their body hair (too hot) and that many will adapt to amphibious lifestyles (webbed feet, dorsal nostrils etc)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Age of Mammals is over - witness the Rise of the Jellyfish.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Calibanibal posted:

it will be interesting to see how humans and other animals evolve to deal with climate change. i predict most mammals lose all their body hair (too hot) and that many will adapt to amphibious lifestyles (webbed feet, dorsal nostrils etc)
the environment has to put selection pressure on us for that to happen

in other words, we have to lose HVAC

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I know that it's a troll post, but evolution takes hundreds of thousands to millions of years and humanity is not going to see any of those changes happen and also they are outright ridiculous and absurd in the first place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

honestly i agree with chairmaster. we need to start breeding programs for ourselves and other animals to adapt to the post-climate change world. Hairless amphibious cattle could take thousands of years to evolve, but we'll need them in 50 years

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Is this a fat dog?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Calibanibal posted:

honestly i agree with chairmaster. we need to start breeding programs for ourselves and other animals to adapt to the post-climate change world. Hairless amphibious cattle could take thousands of years to evolve, but we'll need them in 50 years
Cattle? Only if you want to further exacerbate the challenges that lie ahead.

Burt Buckle posted:

Is this a fat dog?
It will be what passes for a fat dog in the future.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

honestly i agree with chairmaster. we need to start breeding programs for ourselves and other animals to adapt to the post-climate change world. Hairless amphibious cattle could take thousands of years to evolve, but we'll need them in 50 years

My man, may I introduce you to the manatee, which is exactly what you desire, and also soon very extinct sorry about that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ChairMaster posted:

I know that it's a troll post, but evolution takes hundreds of thousands to millions of years and humanity is not going to see any of those changes happen and also they are outright ridiculous and absurd in the first place.

Not if there's a gently caress ton of caffeine in the water.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ChairMaster posted:

I know that it's a troll post, but evolution takes hundreds of thousands to millions of years and humanity is not going to see any of those changes happen and also they are outright ridiculous and absurd in the first place.
That's not true at all, it can be years or decades in animals that live a few years so you can see changes within 2-5 generations

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BattleMoose posted:

We all know that Florida property is going to experience "climate effects" and devaluation but we don't know when. At some point the market is going to realize this too. Economic devaluation could happen well before any major or even the worst climate effects.

fwiw this is already solidly underway in part. A couple years ago on vacation I was looking into what it would cost to buy the place I was airbnb'ing, and in talking with the realtor he explained that many of his clients are all-cash buyers because the flood insurance that any mortgage lender would require costs almost as much as the mortgage itself. And to my knowledge, thats with fairly heavy federal subsidization (there was a legal reform on that up at the time that I never followed up on).

So basically you have rich foreigners who dgaf about the future just want a nice vacation spot, and you have rich-ish baby boomers who don't give a gently caress cuz they'll be dead in 20 years forming most of the market down there right now (in the nice-enough-to-vacation-there spots).

Once the boomers are no longer a net-inflow (which should be like now or within 5 years) and there's any sort of flood insurance adjustment (like after the next big hurricaine) florida real estate will plummet (again). So probably within a decade.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm hoping for a really strong and badass hurricane season. :pray:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Predictions right now are actually for a pretty mild hurricane season thanks to a (possible) return of El Niño conditions by late Summer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BattleMoose posted:

We all know that Florida property is going to experience "climate effects" and devaluation but we don't know when. At some point the market is going to realize this too. Economic devaluation could happen well before any major or even the worst climate effects.

Heck, flood insurers are right now, today, starting to go :raise:. It's not a prohibitive impact yet but it's an indicator.

drat it hobo

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3