Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Getsuya posted:

The OP warns that Horus Heresy might be hard for a 40k newb to follow but the bundle seemed like a good price so I picked it up. I've only ever read a single other 40k book (it was the first one about that one dude. The one who always lucks into winning battles and he hates how famous he is for it. Don't remember his name) so is there some kind of crash course of 'this is what you need to know to make heads or tails of the Horus Heresy' or is it more a 'you'll miss the references but dudes shooting each other is dudes shooting each other whether you care who they are or not' situation?

Edit: Also I feel like I need a guide just to read the reading order guide. What a mess. I'm just going to read them in published order. It worked for Redwall.

Reading order.

I believe that bundle is in order, so you shouldn't have any problem. They do jump around a bit in terms of timeline (though the reading order is helpful in correcting that) and there are a lot of characters who I found to be prevalent, but they don't make much of an impression, so I was constantly thinking "Wait - who's this guy again?" So, yeah, you might get a little confused.

Worst case, just find one of the many wikis out there and you should be able to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I, too, remember when words were hard.

and then what happened, delusional gamer dude? if you read something with substance every once in awhile you wouldn't have to google define everything

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Imagine being the kind of dude who works himself in a frenzy over pulp space man adventure books.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

SteelMentor posted:

Imagine being the kind of dude who works himself in a frenzy over pulp space man adventure books.

imagine being the kind of genderless pronoun that reads this tripe

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

hog fat posted:

and then what happened, delusional gamer dude? if you read something with substance every once in awhile you wouldn't have to google define everything

It's ok that you don't like these books but why feel a need to trash on people that do? Just because we enjoy this stuff doesn't mean none of us read anything else.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just ignore him, his shitposts aren't worth your time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SteelMentor posted:

A 40K fan?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Please don't engage posters that work themselves into a frothing rage in D&D or smugpost in a 40k fiction thread that 40k fiction is beneath them.

I mean, I would read books with bigger words, or repeatedly point out how I'm too smart to post on these forums after paying :10bux: to post on these forums, but I'm just not that smart.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Orkz are cool and good. Thanks for reading my opinion about 40k.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Getsuya posted:

The OP warns that Horus Heresy might be hard for a 40k newb to follow but the bundle seemed like a good price so I picked it up. I've only ever read a single other 40k book (it was the first one about that one dude. The one who always lucks into winning battles and he hates how famous he is for it. Don't remember his name) so is there some kind of crash course of 'this is what you need to know to make heads or tails of the Horus Heresy' or is it more a 'you'll miss the references but dudes shooting each other is dudes shooting each other whether you care who they are or not' situation?

Edit: Also I feel like I need a guide just to read the reading order guide. What a mess. I'm just going to read them in published order. It worked for Redwall.

Read Eisenhorn and than come back

E: lol that one guy is so butt hurt

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 5, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm learning tons of big words in just the first few pages of this first Horus Heresy book so I don't know what that guy is on about.

I mean yeah okay most of them are made up big words but that's neither here nor there.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

hog fat posted:

Tsch, have you even read Atlas Shrugged?

Besides, Graham McNeil is teaching me Latin in these books.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Spoiler alert, it's possible to enjoy trashy genre fiction as well as mainstream literature.

I assume, I only read trash.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Spoiler alert, it's possible to enjoy trashy genre fiction as well as mainstream literature.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Besides, Graham McNeil is teaching me Latin in these books.
All that collimation and coruscating. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Hell, same.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hog fat posted:

imagine being the kind of genderless pronoun that reads this tripe
Your rap sheet is way shorted than I'd expect for such a terrible poster.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Who let captain buzzkill in here? He's probably bent he has to wait until the heat death of the universe for more Gaunt's Ghosts books.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
So thread I'm looking for a little help.

I never dabbled much in the hobby but the Dawn of War games got me into 40k BL stuff (Eisehorn & Ravenor Trilogies, Ciphas Cain, and a smattering of other stuff).

I jumped head first into Total War: Warhammer (though I had never played a Total War game) and now with Total Warhammer 2 on the way, I've decided I want to go back and read some of the better Fantasy BL stuff.

I'm mostly looking for Gotrek & Felix, Thanoquol stuff and Malus Darkblade (mostly since we're getting DE in Warhammer2). So my big question is:

Can you get paperbacks or omnibuses of those series anywhere for reasonable price?

I checked Amazon and new versions of Trollslayer ALONE are $80+ for a paper back which is nuts. I assume this stems from GW blowing up WHFB and as such they care little about the background books for it now.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Arquinsiel posted:

Your rap sheet is way shorted than I'd expect for such a terrible poster.

He's new and I'd like to think of him as something of a protege. I'm sure I'm responsible for him shitposting in this thread since he's been following me through various threads. Give him time, he'll have a great rap sheet before long.

I couldn't be more proud.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

j5mello posted:

Can you get paperbacks or omnibuses of those series anywhere for reasonable price?

My local library has pretty much the entire black library collection, 100% free of charge. Rule Britannia. :smuggo: :britain:

Also play Shogun 2, Rome and/or Medieval 2. They're all pretty solid. That and try out Battlefleet Gothic Armada or watch this very intelligent and witty man play it for you.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

frogge posted:

Who let captain buzzkill in here? He's probably bent he has to wait until the heat death of the universe for more Gaunt's Ghosts books.
Hey, Warmaster is actually coming out this December.

Now Penitent on the other hand…:negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember when Warmaster was supposed to come out in December, two years ago.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My local library has pretty much the entire black library collection, 100% free of charge. Rule Britannia. :smuggo: :britain:

Also play Shogun 2, Rome and/or Medieval 2. They're all pretty solid. That and try out Battlefleet Gothic Armada or watch this very intelligent and witty man play it for you.

Wait someone else started a bfg lp? Do they have a ramming obsession too?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I realize this isn't the minis thread, but seeing the concept of the daemon prince Magnus struck me. Re-reading A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns had me wondering what the daemon prince magnus looks like. We know Fulgrim is a silly 4 armed snake thing, Angron is the bog standard Judeo-Christian demon looking thing, Pert's head space looks like the backside of my family's home theater circa 1994. Not too sure about Morty either. I hadn't considered what his new form might look like, and this surprised me with how mild a transformation a Tzeenchian daemon prince would take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hzls-ZU3sc

Neat video too.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

j5mello posted:

So thread I'm looking for a little help.

I never dabbled much in the hobby but the Dawn of War games got me into 40k BL stuff (Eisehorn & Ravenor Trilogies, Ciphas Cain, and a smattering of other stuff).

I jumped head first into Total War: Warhammer (though I had never played a Total War game) and now with Total Warhammer 2 on the way, I've decided I want to go back and read some of the better Fantasy BL stuff.

I'm mostly looking for Gotrek & Felix, Thanoquol stuff and Malus Darkblade (mostly since we're getting DE in Warhammer2). So my big question is:

I checked Amazon and new versions of Trollslayer ALONE are $80+ for a paper back which is nuts. I assume this stems from GW blowing up WHFB and as such they care little about the background books for it now.

Mathias Thulman Witch Hunter is p.good for fantasy

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

j5mello posted:

Short answer: no.

Long answer: give up on your love of a physical book and go digital. The older books are going to be easier to source and won't be subject to the stupid OOP markup.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The Gotrek and Felix books have omnibuses but they might be out of print now as well idk. They're also pretty sweet, although I didn't read further than Dragonslayer I think.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Book 2, Skaven Slayer, is the best by far. Also liked the last one. Snorri :ohdear:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I realize this isn't the minis thread, but seeing the concept of the daemon prince Magnus struck me. Re-reading A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns had me wondering what the daemon prince magnus looks like. We know Fulgrim is a silly 4 armed snake thing, Angron is the bog standard Judeo-Christian demon looking thing, Pert's head space looks like the backside of my family's home theater circa 1994. Not too sure about Morty either. I hadn't considered what his new form might look like, and this surprised me with how mild a transformation a Tzeenchian daemon prince would take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hzls-ZU3sc

Neat video too.

They're all pretty 90's and :krad:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 6, 2017

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Waroduce posted:

Mathias Thulman Witch Hunter is p.good for fantasy

Its amazing that the same author wrote The Siege of Castellax

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arquinsiel posted:

They're all pretty 90's and :krad:

Kudos to them for getting some basics right.

"Magnus has one eye"

- "Uh, okay."

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fuckin Angels of Caliban... I dunno if it's skill or bad writing to make all the primarchs involved seem like dumbasses.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just finished Mechanicum, and wow. Everyone talks in either clichés or exposition, Dalia reads like a Mary Sue from bad fanfic, and no-one else has much of a personality at all. The Titan and Knight stuff was okay, but Abnett writes it so much better.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is the next pariah book ever coming out :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Xun posted:

Is the next pariah book ever coming out :(

I ask this same question once a year or so.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just after Winds of Winter I heard.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I bought the HH humble bundle - I'm planning on at the very least skipping all the non-Abnett/ADB/Swallow/McNeill books and really want to just stick to the books that are actually decent. I've read the opening trilogy and Eisenstein, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Is Fulgrim worth sticking with? in my experience McNeill can be pretty hit and miss, I'm only a couple of chapters in but I'm just not feeling any "bite" so far.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Some goons from the main 40k thread do a podcast called the 40k Badcast and on one of their episodes they do a review of Fulgrim that I highly recommend you listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pendent posted:

Some goons from the main 40k thread do a podcast called the 40k Badcast and on one of their episodes they do a review of Fulgrim that I highly recommend you listen to.

Link?