Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's probably just "A Thing Happened" and Kirschen is too senile to understand the implication.

Or he's just gone completely off the deep end. It's literally plucky li'l Assad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Has this thread finally broken me, or does that Dry Bones literally show a kindly, smiling Assad gassing "pests" (ie his own people) with sarin?

Am I missing the intended meaning? I checked Cagle and it's not an edit so I HAVE to just be dumb and sleep deprived or something. That can't be the correct interpretation of that loving comic.

He might not like Syrians but Kirschner would never be an Assadist.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

the comic means "assad bad man, also :gas:"

Part of me assumes that, and Kirschen's just too much of a hack to properly convey menace in his drawings. But it IS Kirschen, so part of me can only see "Gosh, isn't murdering civilians with poison gas great? If only we could do that to the subhuman 'Palestinians'...Much more efficient than shelling them..."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That's...pretty close to a good joke at the end!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Part of me assumes that, and Kirschen's just too much of a hack to properly convey menace in his drawings. But it IS Kirschen, so part of me can only see "Gosh, isn't murdering civilians with poison gas great? If only we could do that to the subhuman 'Palestinians'...Much more efficient than shelling them..."

It's almost the inverse of one of those Assays or Bensons where, if you were unaware of the cartoonist's leanings, you would think they were making the opposite point. In this case, no matter what Kirschen's going for, his history of contempt for all Muslims is going to make it like he's in favor of (this particular) mass murder.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The fact that there are 43 cars behind them makes my brain want to try to find a metaphor for how his car represents Obama somehow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Happy Donald Duck page!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Happy Donald Duck page!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Never seen the expression "hoot mon" before. Apparently it should be "Hoots mon" and is considered a stereotypically Scottish expression.

quote:

Necessary background info(possibly :nws:).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Donald duck, known for being a sensible role model. Why would you put him and not the nephews or even Scrooge McDuck on your propaganda?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because he hadn't been invented yet.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

BonHair posted:

Donald duck, known for being a sensible role model. Why would you put him and not the nephews or even Scrooge McDuck on your propaganda?

Early on, the nephews were not exactly sensible :

Wikipedia posted:

Huey, Dewey, and Louie are the sons of Donald's sister Della Duck; in Donald's Nephews, their mother is instead named Dumbella. In the original theatrical shorts, they were originally sent to visit Donald for only one day; in the comics, the three were sent to stay with Donald on a temporary basis, until their father came back from the hospital (the boys ended up sending him there after a practical joke of putting firecrackers under his chair).
This is their first appearance, "Donald's Nephews" from 1938:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRctO7UJt-c

Also, Scrooge was not invented until 1947, a bit late for wartime propaganda. Though a Scottish Duck appears in the cartoon "The Spirit of '43":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNMrMFuk-bo

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That's a Harpoon, not a TLAM! :argh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This latest round of Amonkhet spoilers has me confused.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This can't be real, a smiling Assad getting rid of the pests?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Someone should take that Kirschen and do the needful :godwin:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HootTheOwl posted:

It's real, and it makes a lot of sense for Kirschen.

I like how 6 logically follows from the vignette in 5.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

HootTheOwl posted:

Those dead Syrian children were probably Muslims, so in Kirschen's mind no big loss.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cool, latuff has someone new to draw killing Palestinians

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

To this day I will never get how the hell he expected to enforce this.

Kopijeger posted:

Never seen the expression "hoot mon" before. Apparently it should be "Hoots mon" and is considered a stereotypically Scottish expression.
that's the intended expression, yes. One bit of wartime propaganda (that inadvertently led to the creation of both Scroogs Mcduck and Gladstone Gander) had Donalds patriotic and frugal side be Scottish, because stereotypes.

BonHair posted:

The man has independently achieved fame and mastery of 9 different vocations, in fields ranging from hoteliery, to demolitions, to deliveries, to weather creation, to glass repairs, to antiques restoring, to the musical world, and more besides. Every time, something outside his control screws him over and takes everything from him. This would send any other man into a depressive cycle that leaves them a shell of their former selves, but Donald? Every time he picks himself up, and goes right back to work to support his family.

Also he saved the earth from alien enslavement about 8 times.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's real, and I love everything about it so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The smiling al-Assad just trying to eliminate the vermin with gas, as drawn by a Jewish cartoonist, literally has a Hitler mustache. The cartoonist supports this action.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Oh Yaakov "The only good muslim is a dead muslim" Kirschen, never change.

Actually please finally die. I'd accept that change.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh Yaakov "The only good muslim is a dead muslim" Kirschen, never change.

Actually please finally die. I'd accept that change.

It wouldn't be much of a change. He's already about halfway there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Goodness gracious.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

:eyepop:

I'm torn between being pleased at this Very Good Edit, and horrified at how little needed to be changed in order to bring it about.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I would hope that Kirschen leads to a few complaints from readers at least given how easy it is to interpret as pretty horrific, but then that would require anyone to actually read his cartoons which I'm not all that confident ever happens.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

:drat:

Angepain posted:

I would hope that Kirschen leads to a few complaints from readers at least given how easy it is to interpret as pretty horrific, but then that would require anyone to actually read his cartoons which I'm not all that confident ever happens.

If illustration quality is any indication we might be his largest audience. On the other hand it usually isn't.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I looked up the relevant post on the Dry Bones facebook. Yaakov has a helpful clarification for us and his fans:

quote:

Cookie Seskin Not funny even if it is true
Dry Bones cookie: not meant to be funny.

this does imply that his other cartoons are meant to be funny, big if true

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

21 Muns posted:

lol, good edit

this is gonna go right next to Bleached Bones in the best edits compilations

https://www.cagle.com/dry-bones/2017/04/syrian-pest-control

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

You know how Ben Garrison has slowly become "Zyklon Ben" over the years, as his "globalists" get bigger noses and lips, and his pandering target has gone from "right-wing libertarians" to "literal neo-nazis"? I think that Yaakov "Dry Bones" Kirschen may be turning into Yaakov "Bleached Bones" Kirschen...

Countdown until his weird little fat dude starts chowing down on Syrian hoo-has.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

What I really love about this is that not only does it have Donald lusting after a human (non-cartoon duck), woman, but how much the has attitude changed from the "enters house of ill repute/comes out a corpse" of WWI to "go for it, but wear a rubber fer chrissake."

I know, improvements in medicine and industry, but it's still funny to see a military poster saying "if you see a woman lying mysteriously in the jungle, your biggest problem is the possibility of VD."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Why is Hillary there?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Gonna take these latest posts as a poor excuse to brag about the time I got to meet Don Rosa in Gothenburg and had him draw this for me:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

After The War posted:

What I really love about this is that not only does it have Donald lusting after a human (non-cartoon duck), woman, but how much the has attitude changed from the "enters house of ill repute/comes out a corpse" of WWI to "go for it, but wear a rubber fer chrissake."

I know, improvements in medicine and industry, but it's still funny to see a military poster saying "if you see a woman lying mysteriously in the jungle, your biggest problem is the possibility of VD."
Also the creepy insinuation of rape since she's lying there asleep.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Why is Hillary there?

Hillary called for the bombing of Syrian air force bases in a speech a few hours before Trump sort of bombed a Syrian air force base

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/hillary-clinton-syria-assad/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Technowolf posted:

Why is Hillary there?

Because she loooooooves death war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

• Locked thread