Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it a 1700 or one of the X chips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Aren't there some reports of people with lids that aren't completely flat?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

We can't tell if it's non-flat lids or 'baby millennials with low grip strength' who are afraid to torque down the 4 screws on the heatsink. Apparently people have had positive results from uninstalling/reinstalling their heatsink and really tightening the screws. :rolleyes: maybe the pins scared them

The 0605 BIOS from 04/01 (there is another, more recent bios that does not include the updated microcode and is just stability/temperature fixes) for the B350 Prime board has been great for me so far. Managed to get my 2x16 DDR4-3000CL15 kit running at 2933 w/ CL18-16-16-34. Refuses to be stable past 4075mhz at any configuration. Single-core scores of 2450+ in CPU-Z feel good but aren't all that useful. After "settling" for 2933 @ 4.05, my minimum frame times are up ~11% over what they were with the 2133/2400 @ 4.2ghz. Spent almost the entire weekend grinding the Quake Champions Beta, was averaging ~140fps, 90-150 according to FRAPS. Ultra everything, 1080p 100% res. Not bad for DX11, but I get the impression the VK experience will be much, much better.

IIRC, Stock Geekbench 4 result: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/2137985 (4264/21198 single/multi core scores)

Where I'm at right now: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/2451303 (4584/24560 single/multi core scores)

In other words, 7.5% single-core and 15.8% multi-core increase between 2133@3850 and 2933@4075! (or 1.8%/8% increase vs 2666@4.125)

So far, weird things have been happening to enthusiasts loving with their bios firmware manually to push past DDR4-3600. Something to do with having to drop down to PCI-E 2.0 and also potential USB 3 flakiness? I want to say they were pushing BLCK past 115? Crazy things. Let them do all the hard work

Definitely don't discount the importance of ram timings, going from 18-18-18-36 to 18-16-16-34 was good for a solid 2% in my loose testing. BIOS lets me input CL17, but just reverts to 18 on boot. Definitely safe to say Ryzen prefers even CL timings. If we can run our ram at the XMP/DOCP speeds and timings that they were made for by the end of May, that'd be pretty neat.

I still think some fuckin stupid fast 4233mhz GSKILL CYBER TRIDENT is gonna be the key to actually besting a 6900K in most "real world" tasks once we get the BIOS/Chipset firmware sorted.

My multi-core score of 24560 is just 4.8% shy of the 25759 "average" of the 6900K according to the Geekbench 4 processor charts. Considering that the 6900K by itself costs $1099, and I bought this 1800X, H110i, B350 Prime, 2x16 DDR4-3000CL15, & 256GB 600p NVME for ~$980, that's pretty fuckin cool. Do I officially think Intel should be worried? Yes, yes I do.

Edit:

Double Edit: If you have a specific benchmark you want me to run (like some niche bullshit use case compiling huge open source projects or various encoding/rendering tasks), just make a gist with the most straightforward instructions possible, and direct links to everything I need to do said thing.

I ran "ffmpeg.exe -i bbb_sunflower_1080p_60fps_normal.mp4 -c:v libx264 -x264-params "nal-hrd=cbr" -b:v 6M -minrate 6M -maxrate 6M -bufsize 12M -preset veryfast -c:a aac -b:a 128k -report -benchmark output.mp4" for a video goon and managed to encode 6k x264 1080p60 at 251 fps.

excuse the phone picture of a computer screen, was the easiest thing to do in a twitter dm conversation

In doing so, I found out that the Intel 600.p NVME is actually NOT FAST ENOUGH to fully utilize the 1800X. I could not get utilization past 78% or so. Was hitting peak sustained write speeds of 540MB/s, which is about all these are good for. In the ~85 Matches of Quake Champions I played, only one person ever loaded into the game faster than I did, and they had the Samsung 960 Evo Pro or whatever.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Have things sorted out to where we can guess what x370 boards and 16x2 memory kits are going to come together for good speeds as BIOS matures? Or is it a matter of waiting still? I don't plan on bleeding edge overclocking or anything, but with how well Ryzen responds to memory speeds if I get one I want to at least get to that point of diminishing returns.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Wait until May when AMD releases the official bios fix to all of the motherboard companies so they can release new firmware updates. The difference is significant enough that spending $30-100 more on ram will potentially net you 20%+ perf gains where it counts.

That said, it does seem like they're trying to move along a lot faster than that, probably because they're scrambling to iron this poo poo out before the 1500X

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
With the R5 release tomorrow, are there still no itx motherboards for Ryzen?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I assume this means that itx x370 board that Biostar was showing off *still* hasn't made it to market yet?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Double Edit: If you have a specific benchmark you want me to run (like some niche bullshit use case compiling huge open source projects or various encoding/rendering tasks), just make a gist with the most straightforward instructions possible, and direct links to everything I need to do said thing.

Mind helping me running CS:GO and eyeball the average FPS? 1080p, cs_italy, vsync off, -maxplayers_override 36, max bots.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I assume this means that itx x370 board that Biostar was showing off *still* hasn't made it to market yet?

It's due sometime this month apparently, with a Gigabyte itx in June.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Palladium posted:

Mind helping me running CS:GO and eyeball the average FPS? 1080p, cs_italy, vsync off, -maxplayers_override 36, max bots.

Sorry, this isn't even a benchmark let alone niche bullshit. At least find me a map/script that collects some sort of performance information and documents it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know when the R5 NDA is lifted?

I asked ASRock if they will have any itx and higher than Pro4 spec mATX motherboards for Ryzen and was told "There will be more AMD boards including smaller form factors, although a timeframe isn't clear right now. Computex should see a few new boards launched, but no guarantees. "

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
German https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/amd-ryzen-5-test/

The 1500X, 1600 and 1600X rock. For 60/30$ more there is little reason not to go for the hexacore-X and skip overclocking headaches imho.

720p CPU composite games ranking:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 11, 2017

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sauer kraut posted:

German https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/amd-ryzen-5-test/

The 1500X, 1600 and 1600X rock. For 60/30$ more there is little reason not to go for the hexacore-X and skip overclocking headaches imho.

720p CPU composite games ranking:

The 1600x doesn't include a cooler does it? So there's a bigger price differential.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
No, a 1600X SKU with the top Wraith cooler (no LEDs though) is apparently planned.
1600X has the 20° temp offset, too while the 65W TDP ones do not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The 1600X and 1600 seem like great values overall. Whats needed now is binning figures on the R5's to see how many hit 4.0 ghz reliably, and some direct comparisons to the 4.8ghz kaby lakes with both OC to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8bRqdFGCf0 Some streaming comparisons in cpu encode, results as expected.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2017

3peat
May 6, 2010

lol wtf

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

3peat posted:

lol wtf

It seems like the 480 is just much better in Rocket League, so it becomes the bottleneck, making the Intel and AMD CPUs fall into a tight cluster that's probably in the margin of error.

Edit: just a guess at first glance

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 11, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

3peat posted:

lol wtf

Buy AMD! :black101:

Really though, is Rocket League twitchy enough that you need >60FPS?

Fantastic game, but does it need CS:GO levels of FPS?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ars makes guesses about what's happening in the various patches coming out:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/game-patches-boost-performance-on-ryzen-showing-just-what-can-and-cant-be-done/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rocket League is DX9, let's imagine :amd: for a second and the answer is clear

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

3peat posted:

lol wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoZB-cnjc0

nvidia vs amd drivers are talked about in this video.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Now I want to see 1600X bundled with the upcoming RX580s for $425.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Buy AMD! :black101:

Really though, is Rocket League twitchy enough that you need >60FPS?

Fantastic game, but does it need CS:GO levels of FPS?

Why wouldn't you want 144Hz for everything?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

taqueso posted:

Seriously, it's so nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

taqueso posted:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

/r/buildapc seems like they're having a very positive reaction to the R5 launch.

TL;DR GN is saying i5 is still worth having if you already bought one, but the equivalently priced R5 is the way to go

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, the 1500X and 1600 both look like great value CPUs. Kudos to AMD!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's what I am getting from most of the Reviews. Looks like the R7's took the brunt of some of the kinks and the R5's came in with a little bit of optimizations and a comfortable market to pummel with more cores than are offered by Intel in the same price range.

Really look forward to what the Mobile market might have when it gets to them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So whats the take from these overclocked with fast ram, vs a 6600k / 7600K at around 4.8Ghz with fast ram?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

So whats the take from these overclocked with fast ram, vs a 6600k / 7600K at around 4.8Ghz with fast ram?

More cores, way more threads, slower single threaded. Same story as the R7s, but cheaper?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Really look forward to what the Mobile market might have when it gets to them.
If the perf-watt scaling is linear or almost linear there's gonna be a real :supaburn: in intel's pants in laptops

especially with the undervolted ryzen 1800x at 3ghz running at 30-35w stable

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just for gaming? Probably single digit percentages in most cases.

Gaming+streaming/productivity? Fairly good gains, probably 10%+*

I wouldn't upgrade. Haswell/later don't get a ton of benefits, check back in 2021?

E: Those R7 30-35W numbers for Cinebench still get me tingly re: laptops

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

More cores, way more threads, slower single threaded. Same story as the R7s, but cheaper?

They're mentioning frametimes - but I didn't see what Ram speed they were running on the intel systems to get a real idea about the implications.

E - are they running the Intel systems at 2133Mhz RAMs? They mention AMD Ram speed but not Intel in all the charts?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

NewFatMike posted:

I wouldn't upgrade. Haswell/later don't get a ton of benefits, check back in 2021?

Basically this except if you need productivity then go 1700 or 1600x and OC it, and I think the 1600x beat the 1700.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Just for gaming? Probably single digit percentages in most cases.

Gaming+streaming/productivity? Fairly good gains, probably 10%+*

E: Those R7 30-35W numbers for Cinebench still get me tingly re: laptops

Ha you guys are on Haswell or later? I'm looking at upgrading TO a 4790k because I can get one for cheap.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just a heads up about that AMD vs I5 article :

I commented on the article asking for the Intel memory speeds used, and they DELETED MY COMMENT.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Just a heads up about that AMD vs I5 article :

I commented on the article asking for the Intel memory speeds used, and they DELETED MY COMMENT.

Sigh

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's really likely I missed something and they are there, but I thought that was weird of them.

Did I dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not that I know of. Deleting requests for more info is boneheaded

• Locked thread