Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

This was fantastic for a first episode of a reboot of a decade old show. MST3K really is back, refreshed and renewed. They even had subtitles which is more than I hoped for.

Even though I have definitely met my lifetime quota on seeing blonde people acting badly, I'll be back for live viewing at 2pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Silly Burrito posted:

One question: Why the "commercial breaks"? Will this not be on Netflix in other countries or are they going to try to syndicate it later? Or is it just keeping in flow as it was before?

Both, kinda. Joel hasn't ruled out the idea that this may broadcast eventually, and it was just part of keeping the rhythm of the old show.

I really loved the theater riffs. Host segments/Mads stuff wasn't as great but they're usually the roughest part of the episode for me so I know YMMV. Specifically I don't really care for (not spoilering some of this cuz it comes up in the trailer) the Mads' meta-awareness of "this is a thing called MST3K that we're bringing to you, this is a big brand, we're on Netflix!" It takes a conceit that was used very gently in the original (the idea of being broadcast only comes up sporadically, the Letters segments being the most consistent nod to it) and weakens it, IMO. The band was cute and it was cool to hear their renditions of some of the old tunes but i hope it's a one-off. It makes things feel too "big," less intimate, like the old show. More of a production. Kinga's running a secret base on the dark side of the moon for her evil experiments and these guys.... what? Sit around for 23 hours every day just to play music on occasion? Highly inefficient use of your grant money, Kinga.

I like the theme song but hope that, with less need for exposition around it, it returns to something closer to the older formula.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

The only things I can think to nitpick are the tiny things that have already been brought up -- Needs more time spent with the Mads, the host segments seemed a little rushed, I have no idea what was the deal with Gypsy dropping off and picking up the thing. Overall, I think they nailed the goofy handmade tone perfectly.

Earlier on Crow set up a bucket over there to "catch" some of the acid(?) slime Reptillicus was was barfing out; Gypsy was hoisting it up.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Silly Burrito posted:

One question: Why the "commercial breaks"? Will this not be on Netflix in other countries or are they going to try to syndicate it later? Or is it just keeping in flow as it was before?

Also gives them the ability to cut scenes from the movie without having to go to a host segment to cover the gap.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Earlier on Crow set up a bucket over there to "catch" some of the acid(?) slime Reptillicus was was barfing out; Gypsy was hoisting it up.

No, Crow pushed a barrel over to catch the slime, then pushed it offstage shouting about how good they were going to eat. Gypsy dropped off the basket thing relatively early while Tom was flying around.

Ok, one silly nitpick. I miss Tom being carried into the theater. But I'll adjust.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And then the barrel briefly follows Crow back into the theater, before he shoos it away. It's a delightful little bit of physical comedy.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of weird was how it looks like the opening has Mary Jo in it but she doesn't show up in the first episode.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

muscles like this! posted:

Something I thought was kind of weird was how it looks like the opening has Mary Jo in it but she doesn't show up in the first episode.

Are you confusing her with Rebecca Hanson?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Someone help me join the live chat, I'm not good with computers.

edit: Figured it out.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 9, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I heard the backers got their copies of the season. How are they?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't know, read the last two pages?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BigRed0427 posted:

So far all we have is streaming access to the first episode. And it's good. See the past couple of pages of discussion. :)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Backers get to stream the full season on Tuesday and download it on Thursday, assuming your level includes that reward.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Backers get to stream the full season on Tuesday and download it on Thursday, assuming your level includes that reward.

But if you want to help out the show, you'll (also) watch it on Netflix, to improve its "ratings" and make season 12 that much more likely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is not getting an new season order from Netflix possible? drat, they filmed 13 episodes for less than 10% of what one episode of "Marco Polo" costs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does keep sharing the tapes apply to this episode? Lol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Is not getting an new season order from Netflix possible? drat, they filmed 13 episodes for less than 10% of what one episode of "Marco Polo" costs.

Santa Clarita Diet is getting a second season and there's no way it's not just as niche an audience as MST3K so I wouldn't be too worried

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

But if you want to help out the show, you'll (also) watch it on Netflix, to improve its "ratings" and make season 12 that much more likely.

I mean, I had planned on doing that as well, but I'm going to take full advantage of everything my $85+ contribution gives me. :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Turtlicious posted:

Does keep sharing the tapes apply to this episode? Lol.

At the end, they say to keep circulating the URL. Times, they are a changing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the movie riffing was really strong for a first episode. All of the host segments left much to be desired though. It just didn't click with me at all.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I stopped watching the new episode to come in and say the new episode is a lot of fun

I'm excited for the season

And the monster song is in my head now

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powered Descent posted:

This is very true, and I'm planning on setting up a "binge' on Friday while I get things done around the house (occasionally checking to resume it from auto play).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, I had planned on doing that as well, but I'm going to take full advantage of everything my $85+ contribution gives me. :)

Funny thing is I wasn't even aware we get it on Tuesday. Where was that mentioned? I can't find the update where it's talked about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

X-O posted:

I thought the movie riffing was really strong for a first episode. All of the host segments left much to be desired though. It just didn't click with me at all.

None of the host segments (except one, ya'll know which one) felt like they had time to breathe. Same thing with the riffs; lots of good lines but not enough punch.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly blown away, but I feel like no small part of that comes from how amazingly repetitive the back half of the movie is.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Funny thing is I wasn't even aware we get it on Tuesday. Where was that mentioned? I can't find the update where it's talked about.

Update #48. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1839871

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

no small part of that comes from how amazingly repetitive the back half of the movie is.

Speaking of the movie, I had no idea that a certain famous reaction gif which I can't seem to find right now was from Reptilicus.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome, I missed that one, thanks. Though I hope it's actually EST instead of PST like it said. The preview was supposed to be EST, but turned out to be PST.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the watch along stream, and the first episode was great. The movie itself was hilariously bad on levels I never anticipated. This new season already looks very promising! :neckbeard:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Awesome, I missed that one, thanks. Though I hope it's actually EST instead of PST like it said. The preview was supposed to be EST, but turned out to be PST.

Yeah, the next update clarified a couple typos in that one. Everything is Pacific Time.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, the next update clarified a couple typos in that one. Everything is Pacific Time.

Well I guess I can't complain too much, I mean it's not like it's only 24 hours and truthfully that means I have one day in between this and every episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish that I had backed the season because I have some kind of horrible shoulder pain right now that hurts if I lie down, stand, move my head or swallow, and some MST3K would really hit the spot, but I suppose I'll still be nearly immobile by the time it hits Netflix.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine part of why the host segments might've felt cramped was that whole bit early on. If that's not going to be universal they'll have a few more minutes to work with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really hope they slow the riffs down as the season goes on. It's so loving rapid-fire that none of them have time to land before they've already moved onto the next one.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really hope they sell the bubble fan because that looks like a lot of fun

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The post-premiere Q and A was fun, but fans are still doing that annoying thing where they ask questions about what happens in the new season, questions that will be answered by the act of watching the new season. It's just such a waste of time, and the half of the cast who have worked on nerd things before just instantly registered their frustration when it started, probably because they know from experience what kinds of questions nerds ask.

Felicia Day mentioned some lovely movie she was in where everything was done in a single take, but not the title.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

I really hope they sell the bubble fan because that looks like a lot of fun

My first thought was "Hey, I could build one of those." That's a first for an Invention Exchange.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

regarding Tom flying around, I agree it was a little overdone, but the Pink Floyd joke wouldn't have worked as well if he hadn't flow up to point out the factory in the background

Jack Gladney posted:

Felicia Day mentioned some lovely movie she was in where everything was done in a single take, but not the title.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160018/

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of the movie, I had no idea that a certain famous reaction gif which I can't seem to find right now was from Reptilicus.

if anyone finds this gif, please post here - I almost jumped off the couch when I realized I had seen that face before

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jack Gladney posted:

The post-premiere Q and A was fun, but fans are still doing that annoying thing where they ask questions about what happens in the new season, questions that will be answered by the act of watching the new season. It's just such a waste of time, and the half of the cast who have worked on nerd things before just instantly registered their frustration when it started, probably because they know from experience what kinds of questions nerds ask.

I loving hate this and its why every time I go to a convention I leave when the second half Q&A starts, because I know the questions asked are going to be the stupidest and/or most cringe-inducingly embarrassing poo poo imaginable. Every time I've stayed for one I've regretted it.

As a nerd myself, I'm begging fellow nerds: Develop self-awareness.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While the rapid-fire riffs got kind of unfortunate towards the end, the bit where they keep explaining what's happening in every single dramatic shot to the point of loudly repeating themselves was great.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Gavok posted:

While the rapid-fire riffs got kind of unfortunate towards the end, the bit where they keep explaining what's happening in every single dramatic shot to the point of loudly repeating themselves was great.

That was one of the best moments in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the door is ajar

ComposerGuy posted:

I loving hate this and its why every time I go to a convention I leave when the second half Q&A starts, because I know the questions asked are going to be the stupidest and/or most cringe-inducingly embarrassing poo poo imaginable. Every time I've stayed for one I've regretted it.

As a nerd myself, I'm begging fellow nerds: Develop self-awareness.

This was also the case at the LA premiere Q&A, but on the flip side, seeing Joel bust out the "it's just a show, you should really just relax" line in response to a bad question is... let's just call it an experience not to be missed. :magical: