Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Getting my boyfriend's office set up with his pvm and MSX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So I have a few controllers with a rubberized surface. Specifically the sticks on some PS3 controllers and that Dragon Quest Slime controller. These have mostly just sat in storage for quite a while with no real exposure to the outside world. I'm doing some rearranging and I noticed that these have a weird sticky coating on them on the rubberized parts. I tried googling this bug you can imagine the sort of information you encounter when trying to google some variation on "sticky joystick".

Has anyone encountered this? Is it possible the type of material these were made out of somehow deteriorates in this way? They are sticky to the point of unusability at the moment. I've tried just a lightly moist cloth and wiping but it's not having much of an effect. The PS3 sticks I don't mind experimenting on but I'd rather not ruin the slime controller trying to get it clean.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DisposableHero posted:

So I have a few controllers with a rubberized surface. Specifically the sticks on some PS3 controllers and that Dragon Quest Slime controller. These have mostly just sat in storage for quite a while with no real exposure to the outside world. I'm doing some rearranging and I noticed that these have a weird sticky coating on them on the rubberized parts. I tried googling this bug you can imagine the sort of information you encounter when trying to google some variation on "sticky joystick".

Has anyone encountered this? Is it possible the type of material these were made out of somehow deteriorates in this way? They are sticky to the point of unusability at the moment. I've tried just a lightly moist cloth and wiping but it's not having much of an effect. The PS3 sticks I don't mind experimenting on but I'd rather not ruin the slime controller trying to get it clean.

Use a very small amount of a oil to get rid of the tackiness.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Djarum posted:

Use a very small amount of a oil to get rid of the tackiness.

As in olive or some other cooking oil?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DisposableHero posted:

Its degradation of the material. Your own skin oil is what's supposed to refresh it, ideally every time you use it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been playing randomixed Link to the Past and it's been interesting. Got the level four sword before the first palace but could get the bow, gloves, or the mirror for a long time meaning that I couldn't finish several dungeons until I stumbled onto those items.

If you want to do there's two things you need to know that aren't explained anywhere. First, saving and quitting and reloading can set you back to Link's house, the sanctuary, or the mountain cave. So if you get stuck in the dark world with only a tiny area that you can wander in and no mirror like I did, saving and quitting can get you back to the other side so you can find more stuff. The other thing is that in the grove with the flute kid, even though it disables any regular shovel drops there can still be an item there. I dug up the area and since nothing spawned after about twenty tries I said, "Oh, I guess they just didn't put anything here in the randomizer." Turns out there was something there and I had to dig up the entire area to find it.

The "wacky" text that the replace some of the dialog with is really annoying.

I'm playing with a "normal" difficulty randomization and I think I'm going to do this again with a hard one. It's pretty interesting playing Zelda and thinking, "Okay, what can I go to with the items I have..."

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2017

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Its degradation of the material. Your own skin oil is what's supposed to refresh it, ideally every time you use it.

I've had this happen on all kinds of lightly rubber coated things which I wouldn't expect to get a lot of touching for long periods (e.g. bottle openers). I used alcohol (not beer) and essentially cleaned off the rubber, leaving just the hard shiny plastic underneath, but does using oil de-sticky them without needing to remove that whole layer? What is (chemically) going on there?

I have some Saitek USB controllers which I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DisposableHero posted:

As in olive or some other cooking oil?

Lmao gently caress no

Use mineral oil

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

I see. Well I haven't been in the habit of regularly rubbing my Slime but that's clearly on me for negligence. I have my doubts many people ever actually used it as a controller rather than just put it on a shelf.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I've been playing randomixed Link to the Past and it's been interesting. Got the level four sword before the first palace but could get the bow, gloves, or the mirror for a long time meaning that I couldn't finish several dungeons until I stumbled onto those items.

If you want to do there's two things you need to know that aren't explained anywhere. First, saving and quitting and reloading can set you back to Link's house, the sanctuary, or the mountain cave. So if you get stuck in the dark world with only a tiny area that you can wander in and no mirror like I did, saving and quitting can get you back to the other side so you can find more stuff. The other thing is that in the grove with the flute kid, even though it disables any regular shovel drops there can still be an item there. I dug up the area and since nothing spawned after about twenty tries I said, "Oh, I guess they just didn't put anything here in the randomizer." Turns out there was something there and I had to dig up the entire area to find it.

The "wacky" text that the replace some of the dialog with is really annoying.

I'm playing with a "normal" difficulty randomization and I think I'm going to do this again with a hard one. It's pretty interesting playing Zelda and thinking, "Okay, what can I go to with the items I have..."

Can you do the LttP randomizer and MSU-1 hack at the same time?

e: I think not. One is Japan-only, the other US-only.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mak0rz posted:

LGR and Mark Brown are the only game guys like this I really watch anymore. I check if Yahtzee has done a game I've played every now and then and watch James Rolfe whenever there's a new AVGN episode (which is not often) more for curiosity's sake.

I'll check out Game Sack though, thanks.

Also watch Mark Brown's videos. He's like if Brian Cox talked about video game design.

The Gaming Historian is pretty good. A little dry sometimes but goes really in depth. Pretty similar to the LGR Tech Tales series.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

From Midwest Gaming Classic:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I spent a bunch of money at MGC, but also I met a bunch of goons who don't post here. Odd.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my original xbox hard drive in finally; was a stupid jumper setting that was wrong. Anyways, what app do you guys reccomend to use for ripping xbox games that you own?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Caitlin posted:

I spent a bunch of money at MGC, but also I met a bunch of goons who don't post here. Odd.

I post here but didn't meet you. Were you at the Windy City booth or what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

Got my original xbox hard drive in finally; was a stupid jumper setting that was wrong. Anyways, what app do you guys reccomend to use for ripping xbox games that you own?

Most people just use dvd2xbox. A lot of the softmod installers will have already installed it with the custom dash and other apps.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thanks; chimp partitioned my new HD into a E and a F drive, with F having the most space; how do I get the softmod I think its called UnleashX to look for games in there? :( Sorry to ask so many questions

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

cool thanks; chimp partitioned my new HD into a E and a F drive, with F having the most space; how do I get the softmod I think its called UnleashX to look for games in there? :( Sorry to ask so many questions

It should just see every game you rip in any of those drives.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmmm ok odd it doesnt do that for me, oh well. going through the file browser still works, just weird it sometimes decides to not show in the "Games" section

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I post here but didn't meet you. Were you at the Windy City booth or what?

I was there for a bit on Saturday and Sunday but Saturday I did the Retronauts panel with Jeremy and Bob, Sunday was mostly :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/851245282251739138

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind just had to restart the xbox :derp:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I was there for a bit on Saturday and Sunday but Saturday I did the Retronauts panel with Jeremy and Bob, Sunday was mostly :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

You've got a lot of good stuff there.

Lot of terrible stuff, too. :v: I was going to joke that that at least you didn't spend a lot that, but then I saw the price tag on Layla. I don't remember it being that expensive... :stare:

I genuinely like Legendary Wings but I assume that's some kind of brain parasite causing that.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Layla tends to run about $38 on US eBay; I got that and SMUSA for $40 together. I paid sticker price on, like, two things in those photos (the shirt from Yetee and the Nina Williams figure). A lot of the shittier random FC games were free from a friend who gave me a bunch (he also gave me a spray booth!)

e: I think I paid $5 for Legendary Wings and I wanted it, dangit

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now whenever I create a directory on my Xbox it makes like 30 copies of it or decides to upload folders in totally random ways. What a weird bug.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Incoming MWGC pics as well. Was there today, Im sure lots of good stuff for sale was gone, but that's fine.

Vic20 with backup cam monitor for some awesome reason

This TRS80 was super badass in person, it doesnt show in the photo. Even the power strip on the left matched.

XT. Brings back memories. Not good ones.

Osborne: Watch LGR's thing about the rise and fall of Osborne, it's interesting.

I had this POS when I was a kid, could never get casette deck to work right. I just wanted to play Frogger, dammit.

Upcoming controller from Windy City. I asked them about importing a candy cab, they said nope they don't do that anymore.

Came really close to grabbing the last Omega there, just couldnt pull the trigger.

CD pads in the museum area, didn't find any for sale.

Did Dragon's Lair always have these things on top?

Top 5 video game: atari XO football

Steel battalion controllers. There were 2-3 more on an adjacent table too.

Nintendo Playstation. Ben Heck was lingering about too.

My Trade bait. Left with most of it:

Small amount of stuff that was picked up, mostly trade:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

Lmao gently caress no

Use mineral oil

This or if you want to try a small amount of Armor All should work as well. The trick is to use a VERY small amount of oil at a time. Less is more in this case.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

that Dragon's Lair cabinet is from Galloping Ghost, Doc (the owner) made the top as a custom piece.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Inspired by the other guy modding, I decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. A couple years ago Tyson Tomko offered to add the exploit to a memory card I mailed him. I just learned today that he only added a block that said linux on the icon, but no exploit save for Splinter Cell. Am I dead in the water with that card? And should I just go the USB route now? I have an extra breakaway cable, a USB extension cord, even a PS/2 USB adapter.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just go the USB route. You can do it all for like $10 or are you near Tampa?

E; do the micro sd to USB converted trick if you have that. Just need the USB to Xbox cable

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 10, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caitlin posted:

that Dragon's Lair cabinet is from Galloping Ghost, Doc (the owner) made the top as a custom piece.

Galloping Ghost is probably the coolest place I've ever been and I'm bummed I don't live in Illinois anymore and can't visit it whenever

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i really hate that there's nothing like that ever anywhere near florida, the south is super wack.

e: I was talking about that con but this also applies to galloping ghost

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kramdar posted:

Inspired by the other guy modding, I decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. A couple years ago Tyson Tomko offered to add the exploit to a memory card I mailed him. I just learned today that he only added a block that said linux on the icon, but no exploit save for Splinter Cell. Am I dead in the water with that card? And should I just go the USB route now? I have an extra breakaway cable, a USB extension cord, even a PS/2 USB adapter.

I think that's another exploit, but I don't know how you'd use it.

Just go the USB route yeah. Keep in mind you do need specifically a cord that's the special Xbox plug on the one end and a normal USB socket on the other, which you should be able to build out of a usb extension cord and a breakaway cable. Make sure you wire it all up right though, you wouldn't want to accidentally fry a port or card reader/flash drive.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

fishmech posted:

Just go the USB route yeah. Make sure you wire it all up right though, you wouldn't want to accidentally fry a port or card reader/flash drive.

Is there a good tutorial? The first couple I found on google weren't too promising.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

What are the prices like at MGC? Are games usually just a few bucks below the eBay rate, or do people unload less-in-demand games for cheap?

I'm curious because I've never been to a convention entirely about games. Just about every comic/anime con I've visited had a few old game sellers with insultingly high prices.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

i really hate that there's nothing like that ever anywhere near florida, the south is super wack.

e: I was talking about that con but this also applies to galloping ghost

There's a thing down there, dunno if it's annually, and I forget what it's called. Owlnonymous on Twitch sets up arcade stuff and streams from it. The one I watched, he had Toaplan PCBs on some crazy awesome 29" arcade monitor. Looked like they had a full room full of stuff to play.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

There's a thing down there, dunno if it's annually, and I forget what it's called. Owlnonymous on Twitch sets up arcade stuff and streams from it. The one I watched, he had Toaplan PCBs on some crazy awesome 29" arcade monitor. Looked like they had a full room full of stuff to play.

Yeah I've heard there are smaller things by that dude in the tampa area i think? There's just nothing huge with stuff like old computers, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to throw out probably an unpopular question:

When does FF3US/FF6 get good? I'm ~two hours in and willpower is fading fast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What is it you don't like about it? I'd say (and it's been a while) the plot kicks off in a big way once you reunite everyone in Narshe, with the mechanics gaining a big boost shortly afterwards.

Two hours buys you a lot of plot time in those old RPGs. If you don't like it by now it may not be for you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kid Fenris posted:

What are the prices like at MGC? Are games usually just a few bucks below the eBay rate, or do people unload less-in-demand games for cheap?

I'm curious because I've never been to a convention entirely about games. Just about every comic/anime con I've visited had a few old game sellers with insultingly high prices.

MGC's saving grace is that it's huge, so there are almost always multiple copies of whatever you want there.

For instance, this year there were multiple CIB Earthbounds, multiple NES Flintstones, and multiple Little Samsons.

Even at that level of collecting, you have choices at MGC. Also it's an unwritten rule that the prices on whatever are almost always negotiable other than super low or super high prices (hello $1500 Little Samson cart).

If you're in the market for more pedestrian things, which most of us are, you have options, can compare prices, and can negotiate.

This year there was a table of "any console, $5" containing consoles from the 2600 era up to PS3/360 that was put on by local shop Makes Cents. Needless to say they were picked over very quickly, but there are great deals to be had at MGC.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kid Fenris posted:

Most of what I saw were at or higher than ebay, with haggle expectations. I was able to do some close-enough to 1:1 deals for trade with some dealers. For price examples, the Genesis TMNT game was there for $80 to $100, and someone said they got it CIB for $50 at the last minute sunday as they were closing down (I didn't see it or know the person, they could be full of poo poo). Castlevania Bloodlines was anywhere from $75 to $130, I think the cardboard one was more expensive (because ???).

Also, I did see some idiot drop his newly purchased Neo Geo AES after he took a half dozen steps away from that dealers table. It was in a plastic bag with handles and everything.

• Locked thread