Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

4X games feel kind of aimless to me without a dedicated single-player campaign, I'm not any good at "making my own fun" or finding storylines within them.

Yeah I'm kind of garbage at making my own fun in general in games--I need theme parks, not sandboxes. It's just I just got done reading a bunch of Culture books again and now I'm on a scifi kick :v:

Look to Windward is so good, ermagerrrd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Look to Windward is so good, ermagerrrd

it's

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Welp, the next plot mission in Skyrim requires me to talk to the Jarl of Windheim, but every time I go to Windheim all the guards attack me on sight. No chance to surrender or bribe them or go to jail, they just all immediately try to kill me. So that's the end of my Skyrim adventure.

Great job, Bethesda. A+ GOTY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Have you considered killing them?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

I need some platformers or metroidvanias to play, I feel like. That, or I need to figure out how to get into Stellaris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxesrCU3kg

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I need some platformers or metroidvanias to play, I feel like. That, or I need to figure out how to get into Stellaris.

Played Hollow Knight yet?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

stellaris just isnt very good dude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The new expansion supposedly makes it a lot better?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Played Hollow Knight yet?
poo poo! I started it, and got past False Knight, then completely forgot about it. That'll do!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The new expansion supposedly makes it a lot better?

This is what I heard, in the fine tradition of Paradox games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

poo poo! I started it, and got past False Knight, then completely forgot about it. That'll do!

If it makes you feel any better if you're just past False Knight then you've got a lot more in store for you, it's probably the meatiest indie Metroidvania I've played yet.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm my number one persona complaint is that the phone is a one way street. i spent a long time levelling up charm and now the confidant is nowhere i can find

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hmm my number one persona complaint is that the phone is a one way street. i spent a long time levelling up charm and now the confidant is nowhere i can find

anybody you can hang out is listed on your mini map, even if you haven't even started the confidant process yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

anybody you can hang out is listed on your mini map, even if you haven't even started the confidant process yet

yeah the location will have a tarot card icon on the railway map

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you considered killing them?

I thiiiink he might be at the part in the main story where you need to basically stop the civil war going on unless you've already finished that mess of quests for certain reasons. I remember when Skyrim first came out this part of the main story in particular was a mess to complete with the war still going on though and a ton of variables and poo poo just didn't want to work resulting in a lot of games getting stuck at that point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

do you mean the tarot railway line indicator or is there something on the minimap that shows Future Girlfriend is here

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

do you mean the tarot railway line indicator or is there something on the minimap that shows Future Girlfriend is here

If you press square while on the railway map it pops up a side menu that tells you who specifically is hanging out there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

good gosh...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dang Hollow Knight is good, just got the dash cape whatever it's called and stopped at a bench on the way to what I assume is the next area. Beautiful music.

Attention span of a goldfish though, so gotta find somethin' else to do for a bit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My poor old brain doesn't switch between games as well as it used to. Finally started playing HZD again after being neck-deep in Neir:A for the past few weeks and it's Totally Different and i died a lot already. Maybe i'll wait until i'm really really done with Nier before going whole hog into it again.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

After Zelda, I tried playing the DS3 DLC and I kept chugging Estus when I wanted to attack.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i possess the power of the wild card and can switch between 12 games at will

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished Song of the Deep a fun little underwater exploration game whose greatest crime is having zero challenge outside of environmental puzzles, but movement and finding upgrades was enjoyable and it looked pretty great too.
I tried very hard to to avoid the terms 'metroidvania' (there's no platforming!) and 'indie' because it's by Insomniac who've done a ton of AAA games.

I'm still of the opinion that metroidvania should only apply to the castlevania games with metroid elements

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

After Zelda, I tried playing the DS3 DLC and I kept chugging Estus when I wanted to attack.

I played the Ys VIII demo after Zelda and Square is the character switch button in that. I kept furiously changing between party members every time I wanted to attack.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished Song of the Deep a fun little underwater exploration game whose greatest crime is having zero challenge outside of environmental puzzles, but movement and finding upgrades was enjoyable and it looked pretty great too.

I get why people were a bit down on it but I found it chilled and laid-back, which was exactly what I was in the mood for when I played it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phantasium posted:

I played the Ys VIII demo after Zelda and Square is the character switch button in that. I kept furiously changing between party members every time I wanted to attack.

I don't know what the rest of the button layout is like, but that sounds like pretty bad design.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X is attack I believe and you need character swap to be a face button because you do it practically every 3 seconds

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

a kitten posted:

My poor old brain doesn't switch between games as well as it used to. Finally started playing HZD again after being neck-deep in Neir:A for the past few weeks and it's Totally Different and i died a lot already. Maybe i'll wait until i'm really really done with Nier before going whole hog into it again.

Switching between BotW and HZD was seriously screwing with my head the same way and I kept mucking up stealth in both all the time because of it :o:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looper posted:

I'm still of the opinion that metroidvania should only apply to the castlevania games with metroid elements

That opinion is wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most Castlevanias are in fact not castlevanias.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Most Castlevanias are in fact not castlevanias.

:staredog:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Most Metroids are not castlevanias, either

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In fact, very few things are castlevanias.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqMPHpKtcJA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the term Igavania

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean honestly when was the last time we actually had a Castlevania.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

IGA wasn't even the main guy behind Symphony of the Night, never mind Metroid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Order of Ecclesia, and it was also the best Castlevania so they ended on a high note

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

There was that wiiware one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Order of Ecclesia I played.

Wiiware one?

Do tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

Order of Ecclesia, and it was also the best Castlevania so they ended on a high note

i thought it was an ok game but the first few bosses were unreasonably hard because your sp(?) was low and your soul selection blew

• Locked thread