Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I'll let you know once I get both Wireless VR and Fallout 4 VR. :black101:

Speaking of which, I got the Shipping E-Mail for the remaining parts of my Omni order.... And what looks like the Shipping for an Omni Package.

*looks at Omni setup in room*

I wonder if they forgot or it was just the original Test unit and I was still getting my Production one?

Might have 2 Omnis for VR Multiplayer! :vrfrog::hf: :vrfrog:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tweak posted:

unsurprisingly, higher quality products typically cost more than inferior ones :haw:

Or it's just injection molded plastic and min-spec'ed parts sold at a huge premium for a failed phone company's fast profit but hey.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Fooz posted:

Or it's just injection molded plastic and min-spec'ed parts sold at a huge premium for a failed phone company's fast profit but hey.

Yeah if there's anything we've learned about VR is that it is dirt cheap and just marked up a ton because corporate greed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oculus is getting sued again. This time by a company that claims Oculus is infringing on their VR patent.

Link to patent:
http://technoview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/US20140307069A1-1.pdf

Yep, I think literally every VR headset violates this patent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

<TDVision Technology ?>,

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Has anybody tried out the new Oculus update for Gear VR? Carmack did some wizardry and got the visible resolution raised by like 50%. It is currently only working on the home screen but the difference is amazing.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Is this with the 1st gen GearVR or 2nd?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Amazon prime now actually had a rift on hand, so I got a quick taste of vr before I had to turn in for night. new

The skyscraper and dinosaur exhibits are great. Makes me really excited for the coming touch controllers. Now all I need is an hdmi and usb 3 extender and a USB 3 hub for my extra cameras.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^not sure whether a hub will work, you're probably better off going with the Inatek USB 3.0 card they recommend.

Also Tilt Brush is 50% off on Oculus Home at the moment, picked it up. It's so goddamn awesome, Medium is obviously a more advanced tool for artists etc. but for regular messing around times, nothing can beat the crazy multicoloured trippy poo poo you can do in Tilt.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lady Galaga posted:

Is this with the 1st gen GearVR or 2nd?

Both. It is a software-side update.

jubjub64 posted:

Has anybody tried out the new Oculus update for Gear VR? Carmack did some wizardry and got the visible resolution raised by like 50%. It is currently only working on the home screen but the difference is amazing.

Also, this apparently will only work for 2D elements. But the option is very nice for applications who wish to make typical 2D menus.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

El Grillo posted:

^^^not sure whether a hub will work, you're probably better off going with the Inatek USB 3.0 card they recommend.

Or just getting the hub but plugging devices other than the cameras in to it. Unless there's only two ports to go around in the first place for some reason.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I went with a USB card. Hopefully the USB and hdmi extenders won't slow the headset down.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Carsius posted:

I went with a USB card. Hopefully the USB and hdmi extenders won't slow the headset down.

I use usb extenders on all 3 cameras and usb and hdmi extenders on the headset and have had zero problems. I don't even use an extra card, they all plug into my mobo.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

e: wrong thread, whoops.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 9, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I picked up both audioshield and soundboxing and I find soundboxing to the the superior game, despite slightly less mechanics and being half the price. It might be something as simple as the line connectors. As someone new to the vr rhythm genre I had a reallllly hard time with crossovers and audioshield is just absolutely full of them. It's generator is pretty good but it's also clear that it's an algo generating the spheres; soundboxing has people making levels and while you get some stinkers after playing a half-dozen of the featured ones I think I can just play the cream and come out on top.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I've been enjoying Pavlov although I'm getting a grand tour of barftown. It's fun to keep the guns at the hips like rambo and kill hardscoping nerds.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Pavlov has highly visible tracers on every bullet, so I'm not really sure how useful it is to sight carefully unless you have plenty of time to aim and think you can get a headshot or something.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bhodi posted:

I picked up both audioshield and soundboxing and I find soundboxing to the the superior game, despite slightly less mechanics and being half the price. It might be something as simple as the line connectors. As someone new to the vr rhythm genre I had a reallllly hard time with crossovers and audioshield is just absolutely full of them. It's generator is pretty good but it's also clear that it's an algo generating the spheres; soundboxing has people making levels and while you get some stinkers after playing a half-dozen of the featured ones I think I can just play the cream and come out on top.

Yeah, Audioshield really missed a beat by not including a track maker. I get that the developer wants to avoid all overhead by not having anything beyond a leaderboard, but drat does the algorithm for beat generation suck.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
New map and game mode in Onward are both really good. Also enjoying that they overhauled loadout selection and armour to make the choice between FMJ and AP ammo actually meaningful.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Had a crack at Raw Data seeing as it was free for the weekend and man it was cool. Loads of good things, especially the whole aesthetic and level design. And having the co-op option makes it much more fun.
Unfortunately it was seriously buggy for me, lots of tracking issues and a bug where the settings menu kept cropping up when I was trying to reload. Given how frantic it gets, that was really loving annoying. Here's hoping they clear those up for the full release, I really want to go through and play the whole thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've started to create beatmaps for Soundboxing so if you play any created by 8one6 I'm sorry.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Battlezone (2016 PSVR) has a closed PC VR beta coming up, April 19th to 25th, Oculus and Vive http://www.battlezone.com/en/beta-sign-up

quote:

PC is a fantastic platform for gamers because of the choice it offers. Before we release Battlezone on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift we want to make sure it’s optimised for the different kinds of hardware configurations you use, as well as testing the performance of online co-op.

To do this, we need your help! We’re looking for a select group of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift owners who want to help test our game, and are keen to give feedback directly to the devs.
Hard to find good 60fps direct-feed captures of the game, I could record a few missions so people get a better understanding of the game if desired. Until then here's the launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQA_veSkQT8

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 10, 2017

iceaim
May 20, 2001

This might interest EdEddnEddy: Quell 4D is releasing official Omni support in a couple of weeks, and it's currently 30% off. It's an amazing 90s era feeling FPS for the Vive and Oculus.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

iceaim posted:

This might interest EdEddnEddy: Quell 4D is releasing official Omni support in a couple of weeks, and it's currently 30% off. It's an amazing 90s era feeling FPS for the Vive and Oculus.

Hmm. I think I have Quell for Oculus so I will have to check this out.

Great to see more games with official support coming along. Since its literally just adding something like a thumbstick control to your game. (Or Two sticks, since you can look one way and walk another independently.)

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hmm. I think I have Quell for Oculus so I will have to check this out.

Great to see more games with official support coming along. Since its literally just adding something like a thumbstick control to your game. (Or Two sticks, since you can look one way and walk another independently.)

Well there's another non vr game called Quell. Make sure you mean Quell 4D and not something that sounds simlar. Also as far as I know, Quell 4D is on the steam store, not the Oculus store.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Super excited to see thread folks finally getting into Soundboxing since I've been trying to get you guys to get it since it came out and I realized how much I loved it.

In other news:

Been doing Big Game Hunt in Island 359 and.... I mean, objectively speaking it is *terrible*.

But It is still so captivating.

I just want a really good VR game based around taking down big monsters. It's the entire reason I sank so much time into Brookhaven before giving up and realizing I was never gonna get to fight the dudes they kept teasing.

I want a VR Monster Hunter, or Shadow of the Colossus, or something! I just want to make big things fall down in VR where I can properly appreciate it!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

iceaim posted:

Well there's another non vr game called Quell. Make sure you mean Quell 4D and not something that sounds simlar. Also as far as I know, Quell 4D is on the steam store, not the Oculus store.

I was thinking Quill not Quell...

Welp, guess I need to add it to my To Buy list.

So many games, so little time.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

I was thinking Quill not Quell...

Welp, guess I need to add it to my To Buy list.

So many games, so little time.

Quell 4D is amazing if you're looking for an 90s era style FPS in VR. The game makes you feel like such a bad rear end too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why is it recently, within the past week or so, whenever I start up anything via SteamVR, Oculus Home pops up in the background also? I haven't even updated the Oculus stuff in a year, I forgot I even had it installed. Definitely not using Revive or anything.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Oculus can't run without Home running.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm using a Vive.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Why is it recently, within the past week or so, whenever I start up anything via SteamVR, Oculus Home pops up in the background also? I haven't even updated the Oculus stuff in a year, I forgot I even had it installed. Definitely not using Revive or anything.

It's an obnoxious update Oculus Home did the past week or so and they're taking their sweet time fixing it. Every time I launch anything in SteamVR , now Oculus Home pops up like an annoying pop up window. I am using Revive though since I am a Vive user.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

homeless snail posted:

I'm using a Vive.

Stop using my walled garden you filthbag.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

homeless snail posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

Stop using my walled garden you filthbag.

It appears that's their goal.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With regards to fpschat, the Serious Sam first and second encounter VR ports that came out seem REAL good, if you don't mind playing a game that already exists, but in VR. Dunno what it supports but I'm on Vive.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Serious Sam works great on Rift as well. I picked up the second encounter, since I enjoyed that one a bit more back in the day. Played through the first level, which took twenty minutes. I'd say all the hours I put into Alien isolation has paid off on the VR legs, since I didn't need any comfort options to play with the stick movement.

Actually, it is a great game for beginners to get used to that style movement as well. Lots of options for comfort, beyond just teleportation.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I've never really been into "classic" FPS like Serious Sam, but Croteam are such good folks that I couldn't help but pick up their first two VR releases anyway. Their tech is great (they were one of the first to support VR SLI and have more graphics options than I've seen in ages), they're responsive to their customers, and they rejected Oculus exclusivity money. I'm eagerly awaiting their extension of VR into the Talos Principle franchise.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Really enjoying Arizona Sunshine and it's also the first VR game that I've thrown caution to the wind and played it with Onward-like movement. Soon enough you forget all about that and are zipping around in VR like you belong there.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For reasons unknown my second day playing serious sam VR was a lot more intense than my first. Just like, the giant gorilla eyeball men tended to startle me when they got too close or snuck up behind me. I had to stop after a few minutes just because I was a little too jumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
So I finally got a second hand Vive Pre, and one of the lighthouses seems to be faulty. I tried just connecting it by itself in 'A' mode and while it would show up green in SteamVR, the headset would not track. I went through all the instructions I could find to fix, and eventually found this error in the log.

Tue Apr 11 2017 17:41:21.000 - lighthouse: Base 3E6E5811 axis 0 appears to have failed

It also seems that the laser below the main group is not showing on the nonfunctional lighthouse. Anyone else had this happen?

rangi fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 11, 2017