Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Appachai posted:

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow. wtf is this hiring manager thinking

They might be a state's witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aaaaaaand my lab is out of underpads, glass slides, and disposable microtome blades, as well as not having any hot water on either of our floors in our new lab space. Brand new lab space.

Literally do not get how this lab's managers can think they're competent when they can't even order basic supplies in a timely fashion.

:sigh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Appachai posted:

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow. wtf is this hiring manager thinking

"So I see on your resume you did nothing for 5 years"

Edit: actually that plays better if they were in the compliance office.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I knew someone that left off her time at theranos specifically so she wouldn't get asked any questions. :/

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Aaaaaaand my lab is out of underpads, glass slides, and disposable microtome blades, as well as not having any hot water on either of our floors in our new lab space. Brand new lab space.

Literally do not get how this lab's managers can think they're competent when they can't even order basic supplies in a timely fashion.

:sigh:

Don't get me wrong, they are probably incompetent. But purchasing and/or facilities may share the blame. It can take a month to get supplies when we go through purchasing. As opposed to going to a vendor and purchasing directly. Which they don't like because...???

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Our gloves are constantly on backorder and we can't get safety glasses for some reason either, so we rush order some from another place and pay out the rear end.

In dumb new lab news, our lab is also fairly new. We have three sinks. They are all touch activated and turn off on a timer. Which is about 5-12 seconds. So good loving luck washing anything or filling up flasks. No one in the lab was consulted on layout or design or we would have pushed for foot pedals and faucets with detachable sprayers.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Development posted:

I knew someone that left off her time at theranos specifically so she wouldn't get asked any questions. :/

To be fair, the whole theranos story is a combination of actual really bad decisions on the PR/Regulatatory/Transcperancy, but the technology itself is kind of amazing

Have you guys actually seen the video of the full modular theranos apparatus she showed at the big Diagnostic Conference, it's a loving marvel of micro-engineering, they show it opened up in process of multiple samples and diagnostic tests.

Here is the full length video, good bits start at 9:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JRG733ReQ&t=1542s

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dante Logos posted:

Don't get me wrong, they are probably incompetent. But purchasing and/or facilities may share the blame. It can take a month to get supplies when we go through purchasing. As opposed to going to a vendor and purchasing directly. Which they don't like because...???

Oh I know about our purchasing and distribution woes. I put together a comprehensive inventory of what we had before our move, then a fellow coworker put together an inventory order the first full week we were in the lab. Now it is the third full week, and our inventory order got put in... at the end of last week. Not to mention it has to go through our "lab supervisor" because they need to get their fingers in literally everything. Which means that order probably didn't get approved until... yesterday, if we're lucky? And our "lab supervisor" is going on vacation next week I believe, and when they're gone there's literally no way for us to get any purchases approved. At all.

Phosphene posted:

In dumb new lab news, our lab is also fairly new. We have three sinks. They are all touch activated and turn off on a timer. Which is about 5-12 seconds. So good loving luck washing anything or filling up flasks. No one in the lab was consulted on layout or design or we would have pushed for foot pedals and faucets with detachable sprayers.

Do you work in my laboratory!?

We have two sinks(one a sterile sink so I guess it doesn't count), and three brand new grossing stations. The water pressure at the sinks is embarrassing, and we have no detachable sprayers. The water pressure at the grossing stations is about 2x too strong, and while it has detachable sprayers, they are composed of probably 3mm thick durable plastic, and therefore have MAYBE a swivel range of 20 degrees. It basically means if you use it, you're soaking the entire posterior portion of the station.

What gets me is that our "lab supervisor" and my direct supervisor, who have both worked in surgical pathology labs, helped design our entire lab. And now that we've been here for three weeks the shininess has worn off, and I'm left thinking "who the gently caress thought <insert any number of things> was a good idea!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

vivisectvnv posted:

To be fair, the whole theranos story is a combination of actual really bad decisions on the PR/Regulatatory/Transcperancy, but the technology itself is kind of amazing

Have you guys actually seen the video of the full modular theranos apparatus she showed at the big Diagnostic Conference, it's a loving marvel of micro-engineering, they show it opened up in process of multiple samples and diagnostic tests.

Here is the full length video, good bits start at 9:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JRG733ReQ&t=1542s

Are you referring to the micro testing technology that turned out to be fake and fraudulent?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I still get a kick out of them getting a 483 for creating/signing a document at the time the FDA investigator requested it.

Also, they got cited for an unvalidated Excel spreadsheet. I loving hate when my old employer is right about something. :v:

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Sorry guys, the interview is actually next week.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Good luck, see you next week!

I interviewed a new candidate but she's actually qualified from a competitor, she just didn't want to relocate.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

rofl

The restrooms will be unlocked from 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Monday –Friday) on that date indefinitely.

For your labs that occupy building x please send out separate emails for the male lab occupants and another separate email for the and female lab occupants. We would like to prevent male lab members from having the code for the women’s restroom and we would like for the female lab member to not have the access code to enter the men’s restroom.

this is ridiculous

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Development posted:

rofl

The restrooms will be unlocked from 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Monday –Friday) on that date indefinitely.

For your labs that occupy building x please send out separate emails for the male lab occupants and another separate email for the and female lab occupants. We would like to prevent male lab members from having the code for the women’s restroom and we would like for the female lab member to not have the access code to enter the men’s restroom.

this is ridiculous

Are you in North Carolina or something?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

STANFORD

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Why would they feel the need to do this? It's apparently a concern about something after hours...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Why would they feel the need to do this? It's apparently a concern about something after hours...

His building is probably right next to the Natatorium.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's a mice infestation under the vending machines at work. The night shift guy claims a mouse climbed onto one of the lab desks. We got stray cats out back, maybe we can put them to use.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Start doing research on mice! :getin:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHMIS 2015 completed. All necessary EH&S training done save for the special lab course, which must be done in person (enroled for next week).

All this in lead up to a major audit coming next month--joy! :suicide:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One of ortho's freezers in our large freezer room failed, and was dripping some nice looking fluids this morning, then according to my coworker, the fridge door popped open.

...because it's held shut with duct tape. :psyduck:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You should avoid sticking your hand in a sonicator, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sonicating water bath? Not a big deal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Okay... new symbol I haven't seen before in the deadliest sign I've seen so far in my campus walks.

4, 4, 3, okay. Got that.
SA = Simple Asphyxiant. (AKA they have nitrogen lines.)
CRY = Cryogenic
W = Water Reactive

What's the OA? Is it the same as OX? (Oxidizing Agent?) Sounds right, but I can't find that descriptor in any of the NFPA 704 docs.

(Not shown: They ran out of space and there's a "WARNING: GENOTOXIC COMPOUNDS" sign on the wooden part of the door underneath it.)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Organic acids?

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You can see all the dead skin cells coming off if you do. Pretty cool. I also clean my wedding ring in ours.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Soopafly posted:

You can see all the dead skin cells coming off if you do. Pretty cool. I also clean my wedding ring in ours.

Jewelry stores do the same! If yours has stones in it you should take it in regularly and they'll do inspections and make sure they're in there good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hmm I have an interview for a pharma company to go and work in Switzerland. Could be an opportunity to distance myself from this Brexit business. Also I love skiing.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Until recently my company had a branch in Basel, CH that I got to visit last year.

Absolutely beautiful town. As an American I'd move there pretty quickly given the chance.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah, I've been interested in moving out of the UK for a while. Only negatives I can see are that it's a contract job (I have a permanent one at the moment) and it's a big company so I would be more of a cog in the machine than I am now.

On the other hand, big pay rise, Switzerland.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
How easy is it to jump industries in chemistry? I've been a process chemist in a pharma CRO going on 5 years now. There are job postings that match my current job spot-on except they will have specific things like :

Qualifications:
-Emulsion polymers/polymerization
-Solution polymerization/solvent exchange
-Minimum 3 years of industrial experience with scale-up of polymerizations from lab to pilot to production;

First one I have no experience with, the other two I have done just not with polymers. It seems like something that could be easily learned with some diligence.

I ask because most of the process chemist jobs in my region are typically polymer or petrochemical. And from my experience thus far I wouldn't mind leaving pharma...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

carnassials posted:

How easy is it to jump industries in chemistry? I've been a process chemist in a pharma CRO going on 5 years now. There are job postings that match my current job spot-on except they will have specific things like :

Qualifications:
-Emulsion polymers/polymerization
-Solution polymerization/solvent exchange
-Minimum 3 years of industrial experience with scale-up of polymerizations from lab to pilot to production;

First one I have no experience with, the other two I have done just not with polymers. It seems like something that could be easily learned with some diligence.

I ask because most of the process chemist jobs in my region are typically polymer or petrochemical. And from my experience thus far I wouldn't mind leaving pharma...

Just apply. Highlight your strengths and go in thinking the job posting is probably their cream the pants level of match candidate who doesn't exist.

I went from food processing to computer hardware manufacturing and it wasn't rough at all.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I now have the new PhD (who does not get GMP) in one ear talking my ear off about my qNMR presentation and how its necessary to run every 2D NMR experiment on things we are verifying structures for. Meanwhile, in the other ear the new scientist (Who does get GMP) is utterly confused by COSY spectra. The two guys who have been here for 10+ years are out the rest of the week, so I have to deal with new PhD and new scientist while my boss is trapped in meeting hell with customers. Also the temp in another group (who I like) told me that he 'fixed' a micro-pipette by hitting it on the table, and yes, I'm in charge of the pipettes. Oh and I have to some get work done while dealing with all this poo poo.

:negative:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Hmm I have an interview for a pharma company to go and work in Switzerland. Could be an opportunity to distance myself from this Brexit business. Also I love skiing.

I've been to Switzerland to visit one of our CMOs an hour out of Geneva. Coming from NJ it's pretty sweet walking out of a plant and be surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery.

We also just had a guy uproot his entire family to move out there to help build a plant for another company. I'm amazed the dude was willing to move 3 elementary school aged kids to a foreign country where they don't speak the language.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I would have given a lot to move there within our company, but they didn't have any openings for calibration. Now I'm in Utah which is totally the same thing as Switzerland

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I have finally come full circle, while dealing with a new hire today I was annoyed about how starry eyed and excited about science they are. Then I remembered that I used to be that way but now this is just a 9-5 where I come in and science is just my job.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Our record for breaking someone's spirit is 2 months. Poor guy went from starry eyed to bitter and jaded so fast. Dumping someone right into a pilot plant filled with 20+ year union lifers wasn't the best idea...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I would have given a lot to move there within our company, but they didn't have any openings for calibration. Now I'm in Utah which is totally the same thing as Switzerland

Ha

I have a second interview so have to get my rear end over there next week. It's also on my mind that if I get an offer things will move pretty fast and moving country / getting a home, bank account and all that poo poo needs to be thought out properly!

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Development posted:

rofl

this is ridiculous

For some reason the men's restroom near the the QA lab at our place keeps getting trashed. Or at least, that's what the two male QA techs tell me. They've had to lock it permanently a few times in the 3 years I've worked there. I'm glad it didn't get that bad lol.

Sundae posted:

Okay... new symbol I haven't seen before in the deadliest sign I've seen so far in my campus walks.

4, 4, 3, okay. Got that.
SA = Simple Asphyxiant. (AKA they have nitrogen lines.)
CRY = Cryogenic
W = Water Reactive

What's the OA? Is it the same as OX? (Oxidizing Agent?) Sounds right, but I can't find that descriptor in any of the NFPA 704 docs.

(Not shown: They ran out of space and there's a "WARNING: GENOTOXIC COMPOUNDS" sign on the wooden part of the door underneath it.)

Isn't this the old HazCom format?

This is what we've been trained on at our plant:

Man, for working at a small food plant, we sure don't have to deal with half the crap I see in this thread. Makes me ok staying at my <$20/hr job for a little while longer lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MissKeewi posted:

Isn't this the old HazCom format?

Yeah, the newer labs have updated signs with those symbols, but it looks like a lot of the established ones just kept the old stuff up.

On a related note, one of our new hires quit her last job after being hospitalized. Her employer didn't provide any PPE except latex gloves for handling cyanide and (apparently fairly concentrated) sulfuric acid, and she took a nice splash to the face when someone sloshed a solution on a shared benchtop. Note that I didn't say fume hood.

I feel really bad for her, but I have to admit that she takes safety way more seriously than everyone else in my lab now that she's joined us. Now to get everyone else to focus on it before any of them have to learn the hard way.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2017