Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Shulva was really cool probably my favorite DLC area in the Souls games, a kickass ziggurat city with neat platforms to raise and lower. How did we go from that to the final piece of content in the Dark Souls series being something that features two swamp areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

I could definitely believe that the Dreg Heap was something meant to be in the original game but the Ringed City comes completely out of left field. Its basically the human version of Anor Londo, which is weird because New Londo was supposed to be that in the original Dark Souls. There's no hints about it anywhere that I've seen.

There was zero indication anywhere that the pygmy was still around, or that there was in fact tons of them rather than just one. So when Lapp just casually talked about them I did a double take.

It fits, though. The furtive pygmy was easily forgotten, after all. Even a whole species. Perhaps pygmies were merely another name for primordial humans; Hollows are, after all, a relatively recent development, a mindless state of interrupted entropy. Even then, Hollows know they have to gather souls; that's all they can do.

It's possible that in the Beginning, even things like personalities didn't exist, prior to the discovery of the flame. It's really hard to pin down what elements of "humanity" are born of souls and which are born of the Dark Souls i.e. actually Humanity. This vague nature has always been a beguiling element of the lore, and it's a question raised in the very first Dark Souls game. The only real answer we can glean, now, is that a being with only a soul or a being with only Dark are incomplete beings; it is when they are combined that you result in something recognizably human. The Darksign is just this: the Dark, encircled by Fire. The Chosen Undead can succeed where gods and monsters both failed, solely because they are a complete being.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Shulva was really cool probably my favorite DLC area in the Souls games, a kickass ziggurat city with neat platforms to raise and lower. How did we go from that to the final piece of content in the Dark Souls series being something that features two swamp areas

Something something miyazaki something something commentary on souls community something something vaatividya

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

As I'd pointed out earlier, Shulva is mechanically fun (though those ghost enemies and the Gank Squad boss are awful) but it lacks any meaningful atmospheric details, particularly given its backstory. It's much better than vanilla DS2 content but at the same time it suffers from the same soullessness as the main game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As I'd pointed out earlier, Shulva is mechanically fun (though those ghost enemies and the Gank Squad boss are awful) but it lacks any meaningful atmospheric details, particularly given its backstory. It's much better than vanilla DS2 content but at the same time it suffers from the same soullessness as the main game.

Shulva is insanely atmospheric.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What the gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jz7zpNHahk

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It was soulless to a certain extent if you're looking at it from a lore point of view, but I think lore should always come behind fun. Having an environment you need to interact with to progress through the level was fun even if you can't reel off 5 paragraphs about Elana and Sinh and the King and Yorgh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah, I don't give a gently caress what the item descriptions say and don't want to read them. I want the levels to be cool and interesting

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Awesome video game moment: walking into the big temple and hearing that haunting singing. Creepy as gently caress!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the whole 'multiple pygmies' thing I mostly just took it as the one who found the soul at the beginning was the one who turned into manus but there also happened to be others around as well who didn't get all mutated and still partook in the whole soul business

the game does make a point of saying how easily forgotten they are

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Even with all this new lore on the pygmies there are still people who think that Manus is the furtive pygmy? :eyepop:
e: not that I have any better theories re: Manus. I just thought this new stuff kinda shattered what we thought we knew about it

SHISHKABOB posted:

Awesome video game moment: walking into the big temple and hearing that haunting singing. Creepy as gently caress!

NO! It was it Dark Souls 2 so it sucked! :arghfist::reject: B-Team! Please notice me Miyazaki-senpai.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

It was soulless to a certain extent if you're looking at it from a lore point of view, but I think lore should always come behind fun. Having an environment you need to interact with to progress through the level was fun even if you can't reel off 5 paragraphs about Elana and Sinh and the King and Yorgh.

I don't disagree, but the Souls series has a history of giving both. Tower of Latria is a mechanically solid level, challenging and even grueling, but it's also atmospherically on point and that elevates it to something still talked about well after the game's become old news. Souls games have done this well in the past; I do not think it unfair to critique a level for lacking it given that pedigree. I expect greatness from Souls.

I mean, that was okay? But the game already did creepy singing before earlier, so it wasn't terribly novel. And it's spooky, sure, but that doesnt' really excuse the fact that Shulva as a city looks like nobody ever really lived there; it certainly doesn't look like it was suddenly wiped out overnight. Shulva's backstory is like Pompeii; the location reflects this not at all.

Plus its elevators can stick you into situations where you're stuck unless you homeward bone or die, which was something Dark Souls original seemed to go to great lengths to avoid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It fits, though. The furtive pygmy was easily forgotten, after all. Even a whole species.

Yep, so easily forgotten. That's why they were granted an entire massive city, Gwyn's first daughter, and all the other stuff never mentioned before the Ringed City DLC.

Wait actually that makes no sense!

Your Computer posted:

Even with all this new lore on the pygmies there are still people who think that Manus is the furtive pygmy? :eyepop:
e: not that I have any better theories re: Manus. I just thought this new stuff kinda shattered what we thought we knew about it

Manus being the pygmy made complete sense prior to this DLC. It still does given there are multiple pygmies. So no, this DLC didn't shatter anything.

I mean Manus is literally described as the primordial human and Kaathe says that the dark soul was discovered by the human's ancestors. There really isn't any room for him to be anything other than a pygmy there.

EDIT: The only accepted lore theory I can think of that got axed by this DLC was the dark soul not being a physical thing anymore but rather the culmination of all the humanity spread across the land.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 10, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
e: who cares

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 10, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Your Computer posted:

NO! It was it Dark Souls 2 so it sucked! :arghfist::reject: B-Team! Please notice me Miyazaki-senpai.

This joke is tired and not very inventive.

It's a B-team joke

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Plus its elevators can stick you into situations where you're stuck unless you homeward bone or die, which was something Dark Souls original seemed to go to great lengths to avoid.

I'm racking my brain and can't actually think of any solid examples of this. There are times when you might have to make clever use of a bow (which the area kindly provides you with near the start) to hit a switch from a distance, or do a drop or maybe a jump to get to either safety or a place where you can then hit a switch.

Could you give a specific example of a situation where you can get stuck like you described?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

I'm racking my brain and can't actually think of any solid examples of this. There are times when you might have to make clever use of a bow (which the area kindly provides you with near the start) to hit a switch from a distance, or do a drop or maybe a jump to get to either safety or a place where you can then hit a switch.

Could you give a specific example of a situation where you can get stuck like you described?
I've seen a surprising amount of people go "ugh, all I got was this crappy +7 Long Bow and now I'm stuck", not putting two and two together and realizing that you can hit the switches with ranged attacks. People obviously haven't played enough Zelda :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Manus being the pygmy made complete sense prior to this DLC. It still does given there are multiple pygmies. So no, this DLC didn't shatter anything.

I mean Manus is literally described as the primordial human and Kaathe says that the dark soul was discovered by the human's ancestors. There really isn't any room for him to be anything other than a pygmy there.

EDIT: The only accepted lore theory I can think of that got axed by this DLC was the dark soul not being a physical thing anymore but rather the culmination of all the humanity spread across the land.

Doesn't the intro or something say that the pygmy split his soul among his descendants? So makes sense there's more pygmies if manus did that then hosed off to become a monster.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gwyn was also freaked out by the pygmies' and cursed them + gave them some poo poo like a city and whatever to hopefully mollify them while also shunting them out of view, so it's not all THAT weird for the ringed city to have been mostly unknown

of course they hadn't had the city in mind when ds1 was made, but, it doesn't come off as all that out there to me

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You know what I really miss? Jumping under elevators to find cool secret areas. That just dropped from the sequels.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

gwyn was also freaked out by the pygmies' and cursed them + gave them some poo poo like a city and whatever to hopefully mollify them while also shunting them out of view, so it's not all THAT weird for the ringed city to have been mostly unknown

of course they hadn't had the city in mind when ds1 was made, but, it doesn't come off as all that out there to me

Yeah, they were essentially hidden away by Gwyn and their history and contributions were never spoken of. I know I'm repeating myself, but it definitely feels like "gifted" in the description is a euphemism; in reality they were locked away at the end of the world and kept under tabs by the Gods.

With this in mind, it makes sense that we've never heard or seen anything from them or the Ringed City. You're still free to consider it a cop-out that they wrote it this way though :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

You know what I really miss? Jumping under elevators to find cool secret areas. That just dropped from the sequels.

3 has a ton of hidden mid-elevator areas though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the lore in the souls games immediately took a hard left-turn into borderline disconnected nonsense in dark souls 2. looking for smart continuity and narrative sense in this game is about as futile as linking the fire or letting the fire fade, and oh my god it all makes sense. the series has its own dream-logic, which considering the first game's vibe was trying to replicate the experience of playing an rpg in a foreign language, is pretty apt

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

If you're out of arrows and don't have anything to toss, then you can get stuck. Whether that's a failure on the part of the player or game design is another question.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having really mixed feelings on the first dlc so far. It's been a pretty cool area . Not boring I'll give it that. but I feel like it's just incredibly obnoxious. Like, so far the whole thing has felt like dark souls at its most trollish and it's loving relentless and grates my nerves. Like, annoying troll bullshit is fun once in a while but getting nailed by cheap bullshit every time I round a corner just sucks. In general it feels less fair and challenging and more just spiteful to the player. More so than the rest of the series.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you're out of arrows and don't have anything to toss, then you can get stuck. Whether that's a failure on the part of the player or game design is another question.

Dark Sign out and go punch a dude to death until you can buy an arrow?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

3 has a ton of hidden mid-elevator areas though.

It's not the same if you're on top of the lift. Doesn't feel as suicidal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Well, going into NG+2 to try to get my Plat :anime:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep, so easily forgotten. That's why they were granted an entire massive city, Gwyn's first daughter, and all the other stuff never mentioned before the Ringed City DLC.

I dunno, most of the goings-on of Gwyn's court seems to be mythic mystery to the majority of the population. The fact that there was a legendary city at the end of the world feels appropriate to the setting, and it's a nice nod to the themes of Dark Souls, of Gods bequething double-edged gifts. Consider the Pygmies don't seem to exist in the real world; is not the fact that they have been forgotten possibly due to the fact that they've been stuck in a city beyond space and time since the Age of Fire?

Hell, Gwyn having a secret daughter is more of a baffling lore twist than that, and I'm honestly not really sure what her deal is, or what that eggshell was

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can accept the idea of the Ringed City being hidden away if there was some kind of hint, however small, towards its existence. Or anything saying that it was intentionally hidden from sight. But up until DLC 2, there is nothing. Then suddenly you meet two NPCs who tell you about the Ringed City and recall its exact purpose with perfect clarity and its like "what? the gently caress are you talking about? how do you know this?". It just didn't work for me at all. If it was supposed to be such a well hidden secret that over the course of 3 games nobody mentioned it, why do these two hollows seem to know everything about it?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hell, Gwyn having a secret daughter is more of a baffling lore twist than that, and I'm honestly not really sure what her deal is, or what that eggshell was

it is a bit left-field, but unsurprising to me that the Grand Patriarch of the Gods liked to get his gently caress on willy-nilly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the story with Doryhs Gnawing w/r/t the Luck star? I've never really done a bleed build before but I'm having a lot of fun using that miracle against bosses. Does levelling Luck increase the damage?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I've played too much DS3, even though I've put hundreds of hours into them I'm so bad at DS1 and DS2 now :negative: Everything feels janky and wrong.

I honestly didn't notice it that much while the games were current, but playing them side by side like this makes it incredibly apparent how much better Fromsoft has gotten at the animations and smoothness of gameplay (regardless of how much faster DS3 is). I really really hope they'll continue making games with gameplay like this even if Dark Souls is over, they've carved out a nice niche and they've gotten really good at it. Just... stop it with the console exclusives please.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What's the story with Doryhs Gnawing w/r/t the Luck star? I've never really done a bleed build before but I'm having a lot of fun using that miracle against bosses. Does levelling Luck increase the damage?

I don't think Luck affects that spell, only bleed on weapons. If it did there's a fair chance you'd be able to bleed on one hit due to the huge amount of buildup it adds.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no. the bleed build up from the miracle isnt tied to anything as far as im aware. increasing faith only increases the dark damage it does. luck does nothing to it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also luck's contribution towards bleed is really really minimal anyways. The only real reason to level luck is to increase damage from a Hollow weapon, and then the slight increase in bleed is a mild side benefit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Also luck's contribution towards bleed is really really minimal anyways. The only real reason to level luck is to increase damage from a Hollow weapon, and then the slight increase in bleed is a mild side benefit.

Way to link a year old video. As of the current patch you need a luck build and bleed infused weapons to bleed enemies fast.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Way to link a year old video. As of the current patch you need a luck build and bleed infused weapons to bleed enemies fast.

So bleed infusion build is actually a thing now? I've never been a fan of constantly applying weapon buffs so I never did a carthus rouge build, but if bleed infusions are good now I'm more interested :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its not just that bleed infusion got buffed but that carthus rogue got nerfed hard. Before you got better bleed build up and damage by using rogue on a hollow weapon. There was no reason to ever use the bleed infusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

The ringed city is a quarentine zone. It's not supposed to be thought of, like the nameless king. But he was a big deal before a pariah so the fragments of his legend linger