Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOYRXc6cM0

It's ostensibly a remake of the game boy game but it basically has nothing to do with it. The music is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Wiiware one?

Do tell.

It's a "remake" of Castlevania Adventure, in that they took the base plot and some of the unique monsters and traps from that game and fashioned an actual good game out of it by almost completely replacing it.

gd is that gameboy game trash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If nothing else I like the plot for the second game boy game. The son of Christopher Belmont who's supposed to take up the mantle and carry on the legacy of the vampire killer clan gets turned into a vampire himself and dad has to come out of retirement to stop him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's a "remake" of Castlevania Adventure, in that they took the base plot and some of the unique monsters and traps from that game and fashioned an actual good game out of it by almost completely replacing it.

gd is that gameboy game trash.

The second gameboy game is inexplicably rad in between the first and third both sucking.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ciaphas posted:

Dang Hollow Knight is good, just got the dash cape whatever it's called and stopped at a bench on the way to what I assume is the next area. Beautiful music.

Attention span of a goldfish though, so gotta find somethin' else to do for a bit.

If you're looking for more metroidvania goodness, give rabi ribi a try. I've been avoiding it because just look at that loving steam store page.
But the gameplay is really solid, just close your eyes and hold the fast forward button anytime something story related happens.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanna wub that belly.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shindragon posted:

I mean honestly when was the last time we actually had a Castlevania.

Dark Souls?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Castlevania owns!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Um wait so is ALL streaming blocked on Persona 5? I thought up to 7/7 was fine.

Bah, I was really looking foward to showing it off to my friends via PS4 over some beers since they live across the state. It's right up their alley even though they don't know anything about SMT or Persona. But nope, can't show them poo poo past the title screen even though I'm still on April. What bullshit

Super disappointed because that's supposed to be one of the perks of getting a dumb dedicated gaming box despite the fact that I already have a kick rear end PC.

Oh well back to my playtthough I suppose

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Um wait so is ALL streaming blocked on Persona 5? I thought up to 7/7 was fine.

Bah, I was really looking foward to showing it off to my friends via PS4 over some beers since they live across the state. It's right up their alley even though they don't know anything about SMT or Persona. But nope, can't show them poo poo past the title screen even though I'm still on April. What bullshit

Super disappointed because that's supposed to be one of the perks of getting a dumb dedicated gaming box despite the fact that I already have a kick rear end PC.

Oh well back to my playtthough I suppose

All streaming is blocked, the 7/7 date is "gently caress you people using your capture cards"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can't even take screenshots. I have been taking photos of the screen with my phone

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ugh super uncool and I hope there's some backlash (I am assuming there is, looking at the twitter bot)

AIn't no game worth abritrary, selective restrictions when your idiot product advertises this feature plainly and loudly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

ugh super uncool and I hope there's some backlash (I am assuming there is, looking at the twitter bot)

AIn't no game worth abritrary, selective restrictions when your idiot product advertises this feature plainly and loudly

"Some backlash" is putting it mildly, yes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the best looking game on the console and the most deserving of a dedicated screenshot button and it's tragically denied to gamers the world over...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aside from Atlus being stupid about screen shots and videos I'm pretty sure Persona 5 is going to be my favorite Persona game unless it somehow severely drops the ball at some point. It's maybe the smoothest-playing JRPG I've ever played and I am way too into the whole Phantom Thief aesthetic and heist part of things. I like the cast a lot so far, too.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah the game is great. It's just that the god drat controller has a button labeled SHARE, what can publishers just choose to opt out of this? Is that what we can look forward to now? Not cool, it's like if some Switch games were randomly designed to not be compatible with either dock or handheld mode because reasons.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

KingSlime posted:

Oh yeah the game is great. It's just that the god drat controller has a button labeled SHARE, what can publishers just choose to opt out of this? Is that what we can look forward to now? Not cool, it's like if some Switch games were randomly designed to not be compatible with either dock or handheld mode because reasons.

This is not the first game to do it. Some western games have done it (infamously one did to hide load times) but DQB, Hatsune Miku, and Kingdom Hearts use the "feature" of blocking screenshots/streams at times for "stopping spoilers" or resolving weird copyright issues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This is not the first game to do it. Some western games have done it (infamously one did to hide load times) but DQB, Hatsune Miku, and Kingdom Hearts use the "feature" of blocking screenshots/streams at times for "stopping spoilers" or resolving weird copyright issues.

Yeah, I expect part of the reason there's as much of a backlash as there is for Persona 5's share-blocking is that Atlus drew attention to it themselves (and Atlus USA's notification definitely sounded ambivalent about the whole thing, too). I'm sure people would be annoyed by it either way, but Atlus threatening people with copyright strikes on top of it sent it over the edge.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I had absolutely no idea and really thought this was a new, emerging conflict. What a rip-off.

I thought the industry had settled on "gently caress it, let streamers ruin poo poo on day one" because let's face it, the industry is healthier than ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I had absolutely no idea and really thought this was a new, emerging conflict. What a rip-off.

I thought the industry had settled on "gently caress it, let streamers ruin poo poo on day one" because let's face it, the industry is healthier than ever.

A lot of this has to do with music. Japanese digital music streaming stuff is a mess. It is why Kingdom Hearts literally has a note saying "You can stream this unless you're streaming it just to play the music!"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

There was a mobile port to switch available since launch that only works in handheld mode

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

In Training posted:

There was a mobile port to switch available since launch that only works in handheld mode

Of course there is. God drat it of course that's a thing already.

After all, this is the industry that has microtransactions in full-price titles and sells digital versions of games for more money in certain regions of the world

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

yeah because the switch inexplicably has a tablet with a touchscreen that you can never touch if it's docked

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im glad they're ok with games like that only working in portable mode so they can release a good version of Mario maker 2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
that is actually a solid point, better to have the option for touch screen support rather than not

the problem is when games that could and should work in both formats don't

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the game that only works in handheld mode is a port of a mobile rhythm game that wouldn't work without the touch screen.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
On another note, just finished the first palace in p5 and I am loving the psychoanalytical bullshit approach to this. It's pretty deep for JRPG standards.

If all future villians get as much exposure as Kamoshida, then I am really looking forward to the rest of the game. Great antagonists need to be given time for you to hate and understand them, so many games miss the mark on this.

E: Oh nooo I can't go back to the palace? I don't know how I feel about that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the real question is, why the gently caress is there a touchscreen on the switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

the real question is, why the gently caress is there a touchscreen on the switch

Everything has to have a touch screen. Even the dualshock 4 has that dumb touch pad thing that is just worse than normal buttons.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingSlime posted:

Of course there is. God drat it of course that's a thing already.

Well if they're going to have touchscreen intensive games, that's just going to be a matter of course.

Why they didn't do the opposite thing with the switch that they did with the Wii U and make the handheld part transmit to the dock for second screen stuff for games that might need it, the world may never know.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 10, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Everything has to have a touch screen. Even the dualshock 4 has that dumb touch pad thing that is just worse than normal buttons.

i'm weird but i kinda like the ds4 touchpad, if anything it's just a huge, fancy "Function" button in cool games like bloodborne, and in my emulators. It can even be used as a mouse for PCs that might be hooked up to a living room TV! Fantastic little button, imo

Then again after enduring the fresh hell that was the Vita backpad, it's probably not surprising that I really like the DS4 touchpad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't think of any game that doesn't use the touchpad as anything other than 2 big mushy buttons

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

corn in the bible posted:

For all the Switch's faults, no crime would be greater than allowing Miiverse to die.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

I can't think of any game that doesn't use the touchpad as anything other than 2 big mushy buttons

There are plenty of games that use it as a single big mushy button

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
and a big mushy home button is kind of awesome, not like the space was used for anything else. I guess start and select (sorry, SHARE ugh) are kind of tiny bit it's no biggie

I did initially think it was really dumb but in practice it's really cool. I love how bloodborne uses it as a quick items menu.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My favorite part about the DS4 touchpad is that it determines which button you pressed solely by touch even though there are two button contacts for it. As in, if you touch the right side but don't "click" it, and click the left side without removing the right touch, it'll act like you pressed the right button for games that use both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't mind having more buttons, especially for stuff like quick links to menus and stuff like how MGSV used it, but it always just felt weird that it has a touchpad as well

• Locked thread