Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
So, earlier OFS said enemy trainers will have Nucleon and do the same broken stuff with it, which I guess means stacking high-power normal moves that are now superboosted. Then when you encounter one of these guys, you have to switch in your own nuclear in order to not die, and give it a different typed move so you can still hit it. But the way this romhack fangame is, you know the developer saw through that and gave them non-nuclear moves of their own, probably fire to counter steel. So what the hell's left, then?

I mean yeah, this is a hardtype for hard people, but it's an RPG. Player skill is in things like planning and figuring out counters to bosses like a puzzle. These RPG hardtypes always start by taking away all of your options, though, leaving... what, exactly? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I was discussing fanmade pokemons with a friend and the subject of custom 'mons that are plants but not grass type came up and we ended on this:

Pepper Pokemon
Type: Poison/Fire
Ability: Flame Body/Storm Drain(water activates capsaicin, could do with a rename)
Signature move: Spice Throw(poison/special type, 80 power, 100% accuracy, 30% chance to burn, 15 PP)
Moveset is mainly fire, focussed on burning but learns a few token grass ones as well and acid line from poison(it burns you see)
Stat spread of defense(capsaicin is a deterrent against being eaten by mammals)>sp attack>sp defense=hp>speed(spiciness doesn't take effect instantly)>attack, 500 BST fully evolved
No drawing materials bigger than phone screens were available but we settled on a green with red colour scheme, possibly with some Koffing style markings to denote the poison type.

Whereabouts on the scale from Gamefreak to Quartz would this end up?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragon Quest Monsters, actually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Asehujiko posted:

I was discussing fanmade pokemons with a friend and the subject of custom 'mons that are plants but not grass type came up and we ended on this:

Pepper Pokemon
Type: Poison/Fire
Ability: Flame Body/Storm Drain(water activates capsaicin, could do with a rename)
Signature move: Spice Throw(poison/special type, 80 power, 100% accuracy, 30% chance to burn, 15 PP)
Moveset is mainly fire, focussed on burning but learns a few token grass ones as well and acid line from poison(it burns you see)
Stat spread of defense(capsaicin is a deterrent against being eaten by mammals)>sp attack>sp defense=hp>speed(spiciness doesn't take effect instantly)>attack, 500 BST fully evolved
No drawing materials bigger than phone screens were available but we settled on a green with red colour scheme, possibly with some Koffing style markings to denote the poison type.

Whereabouts on the scale from Gamefreak to Quartz would this end up?

Joking aside, I really dig the poison-Scald, even if Poison/Fire is a kinda garbage defensive typing (Trick Room?)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

magikid posted:

So, earlier OFS said enemy trainers will have Nucleon and do the same broken stuff with it, which I guess means stacking high-power normal moves that are now superboosted. Then when you encounter one of these guys, you have to switch in your own nuclear in order to not die, and give it a different typed move so you can still hit it. But the way this romhack fangame is, you know the developer saw through that and gave them non-nuclear moves of their own, probably fire to counter steel. So what the hell's left, then?

I mean yeah, this is a hardtype for hard people, but it's an RPG. Player skill is in things like planning and figuring out counters to bosses like a puzzle. These RPG hardtypes always start by taking away all of your options, though, leaving... what, exactly? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Raw power. Generally, the idea's that you have to use your entire arsenal at these points, a truly tough fight. Use all those items, use all those little tricks you may or may not have picked up. Or just grind until you're strong enough to take the beating.

At least that's how I see it.

This doesn't necessarily play well when you have few options to begin with. Then again, you have up to 6 pokemon to work with, but if only one can potentially deal with the foe at hand, and he gets neutered or killed...

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

magikid posted:

Beating nuclears means either enduring them or outspeed them, nucleon's only fire move is hidden power : fire so it's only power 60.

Nucleon is a special attacker so having a high Sp. Def can help survive, in addition to the hafli berry if you're truly concerned.

nucleon is decent on speed but it's speed is 90, their is plenty of pokemon that nearly as fast if not faster, as well as the quick claw.

for OFS, all three of the previous broken pokemon serve as counters not to mention the water starter is speed 85.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 9, 2017

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Route 13 has this tiny-rear end pond.

It's the only place with these before Dive.

Also it has the sinking Titanic and the iceberg that did it.

This is an actual Uranium Pokemon.

Duke Nukem is sturdy enough to survive most hits, despite them all being super-effective on him. I gave him an Expert Belt so his moves deal 20% more damage (well, the super-effective ones, but when your main STAB is Nuclear...)

As a TM, there's only one physical-slanted Dragon that doesn't learn it by level.

It appreciates it!

More halving-super-effective-damage berries, hooray.

There's a weird quirk with this trainer but it's not worth the effort of showing it.

Get it? Nerds are pathetic!

Nevermind we're looking at a fan-made Pokemon game.

That police officer is blocking the cave, so we go south. Luckily it's a quick trip to...

pu-venesicity.ogg

Venesi City has plenty of things in it, so let's look at 'em!

A guy offers fast travel back to West Tandor, and it's to a city with the subway.

Not quite Fly, but okay?

A child is in a coma, but without any leads Hokage Dick Solomon doesn't mention it to anyone.

A lady offers a free Eevee, after all that effort I put into Duke Nukem?

Well, for the Pokedex I'll need, indeed, NINE of the goddamn things, so a free one is good.

This girl gives items for three of those evolutions. Eevee keeps picking up gimmick evolutions that Pokemon Essentials can't handily reproduce, so Uranium just turned them into hold item-based ones.

Porkyus's evolution is a friendship-based one, so it's no real trouble to get her to evolve. Syrentide is, a lot like Electruxo, a solid brick wall with decent speed and special attack. Water/Fairy is disgustingly good typing, trading three whatever weaknesses for seven resistances.

TITanic 2K stays with us for no time at all, because of an in-game trade.

This is much less baffling of a concept, at least. Gargoyle!

Gargryph has donk-large defense and not much else, but Rebuild is pretty good so maybe it could get somewhere?

They're only availble outside of this trade on Tuesdays and Fridays because [insert reason here].

A city floating in the ocean has a rat problem. Rats with markers problem.

Hokage Dick Solomon is 13, but we can buy wine anyway because... uh...

It's a step up from coconut milk.

This guy telling a story from when he was as drunk as heck.

This lifeform saved him by kicking the Tanscure.

We show him Punchbunny and get...

Toxic inflicts Poison's weird cousin that st-

wait don't we already HAVE the TM06?!

Carrot Wine is the evolution item for Punchbunny, like how Coconut Milk evolved Deeznuts. Winotiger is yet another thing with a 550 BST with mostly 80s and 85s except for it's real high special attack. Fighting/Fairy is really good typing for, like, everything, so we can forgive some bleh stat distribution.

Incidentally, its pokedex entry states it is only visible to drunk people, so I assume Hokage Dick Solomon has been hitting the bottle really hard.

What is with multiple gags about underage drinking?

Hey it's one of those rats that guy talked about.

Ratsy is blatantly named after Banksy, but I had a much better mouse in mind.

This is the move relearner, and he can teach JohnRomero Iron Head, among other things!

Oh, nice. Dazzling Gleam is only used on things that want a special Fairy move but forgot to get Moonblast from the local grocery or maybe don't have it yet. It gives Porkyus a real STAB move!

Venesi City has no gondolas.

On that sad note we go to the gym, which has no dumb circumstances around it.

It's a sliding puzzle.

No, this isn't an ice gym. That would mean that there would be a gym leader with a Titanice.

The jr. trainers quote Shakespeare.

And they have masks on.

Oh no! THE ENEMY HAS A MEGAWEAPON!!

Well not quite, since it didn't copy MEGAWEAPON's bonus speed, so he's still going first and he's kind of a glass cannon when it comes to a backhoe dragon crashing into him.

My Fursona is really, really good at beating up psychics and ghosts. Huge skeptic, total Randi fan.

Fairies are very real and a very real threat to his life.

Finally we reach the leader, Iago.

Wait, he has the same sprite as any other actor and has a ? in there.

Big special ghost move, for big special ghosts, like Mismagius.

So yeah Iago isn't actually the leader.

He in fact dumps us in a pit that has the real leader.

...Who quotes Shakespeare.

Story time! :allears:

You know that neat egalitarian society Pokemon has? It's gone in this one specific circumstance so a story can be about sexism.

You know, it's great to get this in a big infodump.

Of course she reveals who she really is.

And she was so good the audience has to accept that sexism is wrong.

Surprise, it was Rosalind all along!

At least the character design dose a decent job making her appear androgynous. Just... to what end?

OFSelects: And So I Watch You From Afar - Big Thinks do Remarkable

Masking has Illusion, an ability introduced in the 5th generation. A Pokemon with Illusion appears as the Pokemon in the last slot, and only on being hit is the ruse busted. JohnRemero has no problem making this thing suck down Night Slashes.

I gamble on Iron Head's flinch chance and...

Nope. He got kicked in his face (which is the last boss of Doom 2).

Most of Rosalind's Pokemon have Sitrus Berries for some reason.

Is Rosalind also totally blotto, to have a Winotiger?

Duke Nukem shows it what-for.

Uranium decided for some reason to give Spritzee another evolution, the Poison/Fairy Miasmedic! Did you know Spritzee's face was based on a plague doctor's mask? Well let's take that TOO FAR!! Miasmedic is a phy-

Oh, it's already down. X4 weakness to Nuclear and all that.

Well Nuclear resists itself, so I guess that's a decent plan. This devolves into Duke Nukem and the Duplicat biting each other. Duplicat loses.

Rosalind's last Pokemon is Dramsama, the evolved form of Masking. It's Ghost/Psychic, not too sturdy but having an immunity to fighting to go with its Illusion ability is a real feather in its cap.

Too bad as her last Pokemon its Illusion doesn't work, huh?

Here, it tries to get in a slugfest with MEGAWEAPON and learns you don't get in slugfests with MEGAWEAPON and win.

Why is this badge in all caps?

Man, I love Trick Room, but it is not the thing to use in-game.

And it is not the thing to use when your signature Pokemon has speed as one of its few assets.

Oh well, sexism is over?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A review of this game I saw singled this out as a bad design.

Honestly, I don't think it looks terrible for a sentient boat creature (though as a Pokemon it's bad), it's just... why?

Then again, that's a question that can be applied to so much in this game.

An actor Gym Leader is neat, but that kind of exposition could be sprinkled around town in NPC dialogue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think there might be an elegant way to do a sport of "Imaginary Friend Pokemon only visible to children and (implied) drunks", but that is really not the way to do it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I remember someone mention Winotinger is apparently a WoW reference? Never played it, so I wouldn't know.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I think there might be an elegant way to do a sport of "Imaginary Friend Pokemon only visible to children and (implied) drunks", but that is really not the way to do it.

there was nothing implied about the guy who literally said he was drunk

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It still kills me that a sentiant titanic and the iceberg that sunk it is a goddamn pokemon in this game.

Also why did they even bother to introduce sexism so they could kill it? Why. That doesn't fit in pokemon.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

XavierGenisi posted:

Also why did they even bother to introduce sexism so they could kill it? Why. That doesn't fit in pokemon.

Neither does your dead mom, your depressed dad, your rival being a huge piss-baby, your rivals dad dying, the stalker subplot of the first gym, the awful jokes about man-skirts.

I could go on but I won't.

But I could.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...Well, the acting gimmick was pretty neat... That's probably the only real positive thing in this update though.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

I remember someone mention Winotinger is apparently a WoW reference? Never played it, so I wouldn't know.

They both are based off of the wolpertinger, a German version of the jackalope.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kay Kessler posted:

Wolpertingers/Jackalopes/Rabbits With Horns What Drunk People See are pretty common folklore creatures, presumably spawned from sightings of rabbits with a disease that gives them horrible tumors.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the cat thing is kinda cute but what differentiates it from ditto

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

a bad pun

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Manatee Cannon posted:

It actually has level-up moves (as well as learns some TM and tutor moves) and can have either Prankster or Trace as abilities. All of its base stats are 10 points higher than Ditto's as well.

I wonder if it can use Quick or Bright Powder...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ditto isn't in Uranium, so I guess that's one thing? It doesn't get Impostor, instead it gets Prankster or Trace.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 10, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Other than no having access to imposter it's just better than Ditto. It has 10 more in each stat and an actual movepool full of status moves to abuse Prankster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Impostor is pretty much the only reason to use Ditto, though?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The worst thing about that gym is that if you lose for whatever reason, you have to sit through the entire monologue alllll over again.

There's a reason leaders in the real games have maybe 4 lines at most.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The punch bunny/winotingler and the drunk seeing large pink bunnies could also be a reference to Harvey, a play/movie about a drunkard and his imaginary friend who's a 6' tall anthropomorphic rabbit (who is usually depicted as pink for some reason).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also it has the sinking Titanic and the iceberg that did it.

This is an actual Uranium Pokemon.

Is there a Pokemon in this game named something like Twintowra and is two towers looking like they're crumbling? Cause holy poo poo I'm laughing at this Pokemon right now and I'd laugh even harder if my stupid guess is true.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Cool that Dramsama is almost 100% taken straight from Hatoful Boyfriend. That's cool and definitely not lame and unimaginative as a fake Pokemon design. At least the spriter admits it's a complete rip-off but also???

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gologle posted:

Is there a Pokemon in this game named something like Twintowra and is two towers looking like they're crumbling? Cause holy poo poo I'm laughing at this Pokemon right now and I'd laugh even harder if my stupid guess is true.
I'd be genuinely surprised if that wasn't something in Pokemon Clover.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Titanice is so dumb that I love it and would use one except that I'd never play Uranium.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A review of this game I saw singled this out as a bad design.

Honestly, I don't think it looks terrible for a sentient boat creature (though as a Pokemon it's bad), it's just... why?

I can't really throw stones since I've had an idea for a ghost ship pokemon along very similar lines, but the Titanic part is... yeah.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
i love Titanice. It's so profoundly stupid. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChorpSaway posted:

At least the spriter admits it's a complete rip-off but also???

I feel like that almost makes it worse? It's one thing to try to swindle people into buying poo poo, that's sleazy and assholish, but if you tell them honestly that it's stolen garbage and they eat it up anyway, all that does is make you think stealing poo poo is okay.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

as a person who teaches Shakespeare, the Twelfth Night reference was right there with the gym leader disguised as a man. wouldn't make it any less stupid though

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is that the outrageously stupid pokemon that was talked ab out near the beginning? Or am i misremembering?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well not quite, since it didn't copy MEGAWEAPON's bonus speed, so he's still going first and he's kind of a glass cannon when it comes to a backhoe dragon crashing into him.

Wait, what? Did they nerf Transform or does MEGAWEAPON have some kinda of special thing I forgot about that isn't copied by it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait, what? Did they nerf Transform or does MEGAWEAPON have some kinda of special thing I forgot about that isn't copied by it?

Assumedly MEGAWEAPON had already stacked a few turns of Speed Boost under his treads, Transform doesn't copy stat changes.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Transform doesn't copy stat changes.

Yes it does. An Imposter Ditto with a Scarf wrecks setup sweepers.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Speed Boost doesn't trigger if you gained it partway through the turn or if you switched in that turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Toraen posted:

Speed Boost doesn't trigger if you gained it partway through the turn or if you switched in that turn.

Ah, that's it, then. There's a +1 boost that Nyanditto didn't get.

• Locked thread