Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Araganzar posted:

How does this interact with Ashenzari? Ash gives a skill bonus that's affected by the species apt for that skill. So how does that work with Bu?

It seems crazy it would use the current apt because that would create a really weird interaction with levelling the skill.

Bultungins have baseline 0 aptitudes for everything, the modifier is a bonus/malus applied on top of that baseline. Ashenzari works the same way for them as for Humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Serephina posted:

Some of those sound like /amazing/ background classes, but it's just not something that crawl could do.

Yeah, all the things that come to mind for tattooist are less background and more god. I like the idea of someone recording their heroic deeds and using the magic in their tattoos to get bonuses, it's just not so much a background thing. I might mull it over and start working on something though because I've always really liked the flavor.

Tincturist would probably end up too close to artificer and Tiger Tamer would be a nightmare to figure out.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bultungins have baseline 0 aptitudes for everything, the modifier is a bonus/malus applied on top of that baseline. Ashenzari works the same way for them as for Humans.

This is both the correct answer and a new lesson for me because I never knew that aptitude affected the skill boost as well (because I never use Ash). I only tested Ash out at different levels of skill and binding and figured the bonuses were balanced :v:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

This is both the correct answer and a new lesson for me because I never knew that aptitude affected the skill boost as well (because I never use Ash). I only tested Ash out at different levels of skill and binding and figured the bonuses were balanced :v:

I should have gone ash because hitting -6 apt at 11 skill is just brutal. Finishing Lair without getting polearms to 12 and I have both trained it all game and cross-trained staves and axes. Was that really where it was considered balanced? Everyone that has come into chat has looked at the skill costs and said no thanks. I feel like it shouldn't be such a struggle to get a skill to 12. I have no problem with it being ridiculous to raise above 14-15.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm actually quite unhappy about "bultungin" because not only did I want playable gnolls(quite badly), but also it doesn't even fit the species flavor nearly as well as gnoll does. bultungin refers to a weird obscure myth about shapeshifters which not only does no one recognize, but also it implies changing forms which the species does not do!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

I should have gone ash because hitting -6 apt at 11 skill is just brutal. Finishing Lair without getting polearms to 12 and I have both trained it all game and cross-trained staves and axes. Was that really where it was considered balanced? Everyone that has come into chat has looked at the skill costs and said no thanks. I feel like it shouldn't be such a struggle to get a skill to 12. I have no problem with it being ridiculous to raise above 14-15.

I actually drew the line on my development branch at the continued attempts to make it more difficult without wider testing. The current system is column AO in this spreadsheet, which shows how much total experience is required to reach each skill level. Once more data comes in, there should be better evidence for what direction to take it (whether easier or harder).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here are my skills on a Doggy Skald after Lair and Orc (and D1-D13):
Skills:
- Level 10.0 Fighting
- Level 7.5(10.9) Axes
Level 8.2(9.4) Maces & Flails
+ Level 11.9(12.1) Polearms
Level 7.3(10.9) Staves
+ Level 3.4 Crossbows
- Level 7.4 Throwing
+ Level 9.7 Armour
- Level 9.6 Dodging
- Level 6.3 Stealth
- Level 9.4 Shields
- Level 8.2 Spellcasting
- Level 8.5 Hexes
- Level 8.0 Charms
- Level 9.1 Necromancy
- Level 7.0 Invocations
- Level 7.3 Evocations

I think that's not too bad. For comparison, here is a Human Skald at the same XL:
- Level 10.0 Fighting
* Level 16.9 Polearms
Level 2.0 Slings
- Level 1.0 Armour
+ Level 6.7 Dodging
- Level 7.0 Spellcasting
- Level 6.0 Conjurations
- Level 3.6 Hexes
- Level 7.0 Charms
- Level 5.1 Fire Magic
- Level 6.2 Invocations
+ Level 9.5 Evocations

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Barkyboys

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Okay, I agree "Bultungin" was overambitious and not a successful name. They're going to be renamed to Gnolls; just need to figure out a couple complications first.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
yeah that sounds complicated as poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lol what complications are there, its text in a file. Just select it like you were going to remove it, then instead of just hitting the big 'delete' key like you normally would on a new or interesting feature you just hit the letters g n o l l in order. Then probably enter or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 7, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

'Gn'omes were an ancient species but still tracked in Sequell and online scoring. Need to account for 'Gn'olls taking over the abbreviation before it can go through.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Captain Monkey posted:

Lol what complications are there, its text in a file. Just select it like you were going to remove it, then instead of just hitting the big 'delete' key like you normally would on a new or interesting feature you just hit the letters g n o l l in order. Then probably enter or something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It fucks up sequell queries so they need to do something about that first, no need to be rude

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

'Gn'omes were an ancient species but still tracked in Sequell and online scoring. Need to account for 'Gn'olls taking over the abbreviation before it can go through.

Hahahaha, the devs have removed so many interesting things that they can't even add new ones until they extra super double remove something a second time, to clear the way for the new race (which will probably be removed shortly).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, the devs have removed so many interesting things that they can't even add new ones until they extra super double remove something a second time, to clear the way for the new race (which will probably be removed shortly).

:lol: if you think Gnomes were actually an interesting species. Grey Elves were more interesting, and they were literally High Elves but a few aptitudes lowered by 1 and the ability to sparkle to distract enemies.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

:lol: if you think Gnomes were actually an interesting species. Grey Elves were more interesting, and they were literally High Elves but a few aptitudes lowered by 1 and the ability to sparkle to distract enemies.

We'll never know how interesting they could have been. We've all seen what happens to new, interesting mechanics and ideas (rip WJC).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still sad about the loss of high elves. Where else am I going to turn for a hybrid? Merfolk IE? EEEWWWW

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I am sorry that I was rude.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

We'll never know how interesting they could have been. We've all seen what happens to new, interesting mechanics and ideas (rip WJC).

code:
Gnomes
Small Size (Halfing/Kobold size)
8 Str/8 Int/9 Dex
+Int/Dex every 4 Levels
-20% HP/0% MP/+1 Exp/+6 MR per level
Passive Mapping 1 (upgrades at same rate as DD)

Aptitude is 0 unless stated
Short Blades +2
Maces & Flails -1
Polearms -2
Staves -1
Slings +1
Crossbows +1
Throwing +3
Armor -2
Dodging +2
Stealth +2
Shields -1
Spellcasting -2
Summonings -1
Necromancy -1
Translocations -1
Transmutations -1
Air Magic -3
Earth Magic +3
Poison Magic -1
Invocations -1
Evocations +3
Basically a split between Kobold and Halfling with a touch of Deep Dwarf.

Trivia: Did you know there used to be five kinds of elves?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

Trivia: Did you know there used to be five kinds of elves?

KE ruined that for everyone, with the Baking ability they had effectively no hunger clock so it was like having a mummy with elf apts.

I know it's not your fault but why is my dog having to run swamp AND snake when this is the only rPois in the whole game?
the +1 mace of Greatest Utility {drain, rPois rN+ MR+ Str+2}

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Trunko posted:

I am sorry that I was rude.

I forgive you

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here is what skills look like at almost XL21, with the costs:
code:
     Skill           Level Cost   Apt       Skill           Level Cost   Apt
  a + Fighting        11.0  42.4    0 -6 j - Spellcasting    10.0  26.0    0 -4
      Axes            11.9   9.0    0    k - Conjurations     8.1   9.0    0
  b - Maces & Flails  10.0  15.6    0 -2 l - Hexes           10.0  26.0    0 -4
  c + Polearms        13.8  53.7    0 -6 m - Charms           9.0  15.6    0 -2
      Staves          11.7   5.7    0 +2 n - Necromancy       9.1  15.6    0 -2
  d - Unarmed Combat   0.0   0.5    0 +4 o - Translocations   9.1  15.6    0 -2
                                         p - Fire Magic       7.2   5.7    0 +2
  e - Crossbows       10.2  26.0    0 -4
  f - Throwing         7.4   5.7    0 +2 q - Invocations      9.0  15.6    0 -2
      Slings           4.6   0.5    0 +4 r - Evocations       9.3  15.6    0 -2
                                         s - Stealth          6.3   3.5    0 +4
  g - Armour          11.1  42.4    0 -6
  h + Dodging         11.1  42.4    0 -6
  i - Shields          9.4  15.6    0 -2
For reference, this is after D, Orc, Lair, Swamp and Vaults 1-4. Haven't started 2nd lair branch (Snake) yet.

There's a real soft cap at 9 and another harder one at 11. It slows down incredibly around 11. This puts the real pain point around 12. I liked the species a lot more at 14, but someone on the dev team must have played this and found that acceptable.

I'll let you know how it feels after running snake with STILL NO RPOIS WHAT??!??!?! Seriously I am about to take off +8 chain to wear +0 swamp dragon armor. Swamp was horrible. Not having rPois in Swamp is great if you like either (a) using all your cure potions or (b) sitting next to the stairs watching your hp tick down from 87 to 15 praying nothing comes around the corner.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 7, 2017

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
:whitewater:

I'm sure people can still make them effective at a 12 soft skill cap, but that doesn't seem like a fun hybrid to me. The best part of high elves was getting Tornado working around the second or third rune.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here we are after Snake, Elf, Crypt, and U1-2, just into XL26:
code:
  a + Fighting        13.4  53.7    0 -6 i - Spellcasting    11.0  42.4    0 -6
      Axes            12.1   9.0    0    j - Conjurations     8.1   9.0    0
      Maces & Flails  10.0  15.6    0 -2 k - Hexes           11.0  42.4    0 -6
  b - Polearms        14.0  53.7    0 -6 l - Charms           9.0  15.6    0 -2
      Staves          11.9   5.7    0 +2 m - Necromancy       9.1  15.6    0 -2
  c - Unarmed Combat   0.0   0.5    0 +4 n - Translocations   9.1  15.6    0 -2
                                         o - Fire Magic       7.2   5.7    0 +2
  d - Crossbows       10.2  26.0    0 -4 p - Air Magic       11.0  42.4    0 -6
  e - Throwing         7.4   5.7    0 +2 q - Poison Magic     7.0   5.7    0 +2
      Slings           4.6   0.5    0 +4
                                         r - Invocations      9.0  15.6    0 -2
  f + Armour          12.5  48.1    0 -6 s - Evocations       9.3  15.6    0 -2
  g + Dodging         13.1  53.7    0 -6 t - Stealth          6.3   3.5    0 +4
  h - Shields          9.4  15.6    0 -2
Midway through Depths I've managed to get one skill to 14 and two to 13. Able to get Silence down to 14% with a lot of effort - it's not too hard to get into Level 4 spells but getting something like Deflect Missiles seems drat near impossible in a 3 rune game, even dedicating a lot of xp. You could maybe get Invisibility online for Elf3/Depths since it's single school.

At this point I've pretty much turned on Fighting, Dodging, and Armor and I'll see how high those get after U3-U5.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Next to last Trip Report - Here we are after Depths and V5:
code:
     Skill           Level Cost   Apt       Skill           Level Cost   Apt
  a + Fighting        14.8  59.4    0 -6 i - Spellcasting    11.0  42.4    0 -6
      Axes            12.1   9.0    0    j - Conjurations     8.1   9.0    0
      Maces & Flails  10.0  15.6    0 -2 k - Hexes           11.0  42.4    0 -6
  b - Polearms        14.0  53.7    0 -6 l - Charms           9.0  15.6    0 -2
      Staves          11.9   5.7    0 +2 m - Summonings       0.0   0.5    0 +4
  c - Unarmed Combat   0.0   0.5    0 +4 n - Necromancy       9.1  15.6    0 -2
                                         o - Translocations   9.1  15.6    0 -2
  d - Crossbows       10.2  26.0    0 -4 p - Fire Magic       7.2   5.7    0 +2
  e - Throwing         7.4   5.7    0 +2 q - Air Magic       11.0  42.4    0 -6
      Slings           4.6   0.5    0 +4 r - Poison Magic     7.0   5.7    0 +2

f + Armour          14.1  59.4    0 -6 s - Invocations      9.0  15.6    0 -2
  g + Dodging         14.4  59.4    0 -6 t - Evocations       9.3  15.6    0 -2
  h - Shields          9.4  15.6    0 -2 u - Stealth         10.7  26.0    0 -4
V5 was an absolute bitch, nearly died and only a lucky teleport followed by some very adroit maneuvering and hiding saved me. You definitely feel the pinch in Depths and V5. The diificulty is so variable in Zot and Zot 5 that it will be hard to judge. I probably will dive Zot because of the limited effect of more XP and I already have what I need to win. I guess that's one way I change the way I play doing this race.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Get Along, Little Doggie....

code:
1729885 araganzar the Warrior (level 27, 189/189 HPs)
             Began as a Bultungin Skald on Apr 7, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Hepliaklqana.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 8, 2017!

The game lasted 04:53:03 (70086 turns).

araganzar the Warrior (Bultungin Skald)            Turns: 70086, Time: 04:53:03

Health: 189/189    AC: 44    Str: 27    XL:     27
Magic:  32/38      EV: 28    Int: 17    God:    Hepliaklqana [******]
Gold:   2006       SH: 15    Dex: 25    Spells: 1/48 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +9 demon trident (freeze)
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   n - +3 buckler "Poyraxt" {MR+ Regen+ Stlth+}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   m - +8 chain mail "Junyog" {+Inv Str+7 Dex-2}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   f - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   C - +1 cloak {rPois}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   t - +2 pair of gloves
MR       +++..                  T - +1 pair of boots "Xogrehua" {rElec rF+++ rCorr}
Stlth    ++........             i - amulet of Yendor {Reflect rC+ MR+ SH+4}
Regen    1.9/turn               N - ring of Suaded {*Drain +Inv rC+ rN+ Dex+4}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               Y - ring of Robustness {AC+8}

Skills:
 + Level 15.7 Fighting
   Level 8.5(12.1) Axes
   Level 9.0(10.0) Maces & Flails
 - Level 13.7(14.0) Polearms
   Level 7.3(11.9) Staves
 - Level 10.2 Crossbows
 - Level 7.4 Throwing
 + Level 15.0 Armour
 + Level 15.4 Dodging
 - Level 10.7 Stealth
 - Level 9.4 Shields
 - Level 11.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 8.1 Conjurations
 - Level 11.0 Hexes
 - Level 9.0 Charms
 - Level 9.1 Necromancy
 - Level 9.1 Translocations
 - Level 7.2 Fire Magic
 - Level 11.0 Air Magic
 - Level 7.0 Poison Magic
 - Level 9.0 Invocations
 - Level 9.3 Evocations
Hep Mage pet at XL24 on owns a whole lot of bones. Soloed a couple OOFs for me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Araganzar posted:

Hep Mage pet at XL24 on owns a whole lot of bones . Soloed a couple OOFs for me.

oh no what have you done, I liked hep.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-971-g5896763 (console) character file.

2070006 Lightli the Deadly Accurate (level 27, 98/227 HPs)
Began as a Bultungin Gladiator on Apr 8, 2017.
Was the Champion of Okawaru.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 4 runes on Apr 9, 2017!

The game lasted 03:51:19 (93977 turns).

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20170409-042344.txt

Well, that was a horrid mess of a species. Probably worse than Mummy as it currently stands, and I do not say that lightly.

This was a character who by the end could pick between the autumn katana, the Sword of Jihadzealot's blade, and (for killing OoFs) the lajatang of Order, was wearing amazing randart +2 gloves with rF++ and +5 slaying (albeit with *corrode), had the Amulet of the Air on for permanent deflect missiles and 5 more EV on a species that is never getting stellar EV without equipment boosts, had boots of running with all the life-saving that entails, and had on a randart set of +14 crystal plate armor with rCorr and rElec.

This was a character who for basically the entire game had from mutations a pip of rF, innate clarity (which made using the zealot's blade viable), and robust for mutations.

This was a character for whom getting a skill to 15 was unadulterated pain and misery, because -6 apts are the worst. Thank Okawaru for Heroism.

I actually was considering extended for a bit, but then I realized that going into extended before winning the species for the first time would be a terrible idea. As would doing so with basically no spellcasting access at all.

...how are you supposed to win this species without completely absurd equipment? Going past 12 in a skill is pure torture, and almost no weapon types viable in endgame hit mindelay at 12 or lower.

Araganzar posted:

How does this interact with Ashenzari? Ash gives a skill bonus that's affected by the species apt for that skill. So how does that work with Bu?

It seems crazy it would use the current apt because that would create a really weird interaction with levelling the skill.

As someone who tried Ash out, it seems to use the current apt.

That's my only explanation for how 6* piety + being fully bound was only getting me skill boosts of ~1.5 or less on the skills at 11 or higher.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

That's on us.

Edit: SKULL.GIF was the one who cleaned up the rest of the species for committing, and picked Bultungin for the name because he liked the origin and it opens up more space for adding other mechanics down the line to add more flavor to the species. I'm fine with that, because I suck at names and ran out of ideas for secondary mechanics that would work well without overpowering the main species mechanic. If nobody else in the Crawl player base likes the name, I'm sure there won't be complaints about naming it Gnoll instead.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Well, that was a horrid mess of a species. Probably worse than Mummy as it currently stands, and I do not say that lightly.

I tried Gnolls earlier myself and found the aptitude gimmick to a bit too punishing. As it stands, I don't think the species is strong enough outside of the weird aptitude shift to really justify the soft-hard capping at 12-15, I feel like either their stats would need to become demigod-ish and very strong mutations would need to be handed out or there needs to be a way to restore the aptitudes to a functioning level. I don't like the idea of adjusting their stats or handing out strong mutations because other species already cover that and it doesn't really mesh with their main gimmick, which is a heavy promotion of training a wide variety of skills, sometimes just for the sake of training them.

I had two rough ideas for improving this. The first one is that aptitudes could recover slowly as you gain EXP, sort of like the drain mechanic but applied to aptitudes, the rationale being that they could find interest in the skill again after not paying attention to it for awhile. I'm not actually sure how this could be implemented, and I don't think it really super fits with their concept either. The other, which I prefer, is that the aptitudes will shift back up as you collect X many levels of skills in total. What I mean by this is say an accumulated total of 80 skill levels or something will raise the point where they start decaying from 11 to 12, then 90 or 100 or whatever raise it from 12 to 13. This would encourage you to consistently train as many skills as possible to get the best return on your experience, and I think fits with the theme really well. Any thoughts?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Haven't tried gnolls myself but there's been the overall feedback that brennon mentions, then there's people who think they're overpowered and then there's minmay/duvessa who thinks they're just humans.

From what I can tell the main thing that stands out is the soft cap is hit only after you have access to level 5-6 spells which means you'll have a pretty good variety of options to carry you in a 3-rune game, but they seem pretty screwed if they want to do extended.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
High Elves should come back with the opposite ability of Bultungins. They learn slowly at first, but when they stick with a skill they can become an expert on it.

-6 to start
-4 at skill level 4
-2 at skill level 12
0 at skill level 16
+2 at skill level 20
and +4 at skill level 24.

-10% hp
+10% mp
high starting stats, but slow gains to int and dex
+5 mr per lvl

edit: And Bultungins should get a reduction in their skill penalty at level 23 or something.

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
When Gnolls where first introduced I was authentically excited about them as a new race, which is rare. The idea of basically getting all your skills to 12 instantly then playing gnoll-crawl for the rest of the game was intriguing. But 12 was too low, now it's 15, and it's not quite instantaneous to get there but it sure as hell stops once it does. Feedback suggests it's not very exciting, which is a shame. I'd play it myself but I have a firm no-trunk policy after losing a few too many characters to half-implemented changes (my most salty was surprise Manticore barbs, which where happy to let you walk around for insane dmg w/o warning). Possibly suggestion which might horribly break flavor but make the race interesting? Allow one skill to go above the soft cap, maybe the first to get past it, and for the rest of the skills the cap becomes hard. So you could have 27 in e.g. Hexes, but the rest of your skills are stuck at 12ish. Allows for a lot of versatility on how you want to build your dude, and keeps them competitive with other races where players pick their skill-of-choice during character creation ("I want to cast tornado, so Tengu it is!")

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

apple posted:

Haven't tried gnolls myself but there's been the overall feedback that brennon mentions, then there's people who think they're overpowered and then there's minmay/duvessa who thinks they're just humans.

From what I can tell the main thing that stands out is the soft cap is hit only after you have access to level 5-6 spells which means you'll have a pretty good variety of options to carry you in a 3-rune game, but they seem pretty screwed if they want to do extended.

I had to get Air, Hexes, and SC all to 11 to cast silence reliably in scale (or in chain with wizardry). I don't think level 6 spells are reasonable in a 3-5 rune game in anything but robes. Unfortunately, it's become pretty unrealistic to melee in anything light. Even for "dodgy" races, the malus to EV from heavy armor is modest. Less than chain or high enchant scale is suicidal in Depths/V5/Zot doing 1h damage with no heavy conjurations and below average dodging, armor, and fighting.

0.20's "hybrid" is not someone who took a couple schools to 10-12 to supplant their melee. It's someone who took conj to 16 to get OOD online or took their hexes to 18 to be able to affect anyone. And they did so because their apts allowed it. You really can't hybrid anymore without making a significant investment in either armor or spells schools, and this race can do neither. Also can't use high level spells, conjurations or hexes, or 2H weapons. Any other race with a similar disadvantage receives significantly more and better perks in return.

If the pain point came at 12 skill instead of 11, that might be enough for me to overcome that. But the game's direction is dominated by people that have no problem winning under almost any xp malus provided they can live to Lair. You have people who will say with all seriousness "the game is over once you make it to Temple". This leads to early survival being way overvalued compared to the general crawl population.

In my play, this has meant things get too hard too fast. I think therefore it's going to be difficult to make the race fun enough for long enough for the casual or semi-casual player while still pleasing that vocal and influential segment of the user base.

I don't play extended but the race being worthless for extended is another issue that might be solved by rune-gating the xp malus in some way.

That's quite the minefield to have to navigate so I will probably play and try to enjoy whatever makes it through, remembering that Octopodes and Demonspawn remain some of the most popular races...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sometimes I wonder if the game should explicitly have a difficulty setting as opposed to going 'well, challenge races/challenge backgrounds'.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks crawl. :geno: Is finding artifact-grade naga barding on D:1 (or finding naga barding ever) when you're not a naga also super common?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It is proper floor god behavior to only ever give non centaurs/nagas bardings, yes.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hi again friends

Can I get some advice on mutation management in the endgame? My FoFiOka is 27 and on Zot 4, so I'm poking around stuff like Hell and Vault 5 before trying to finish my first game

Anywho, a game's worth of orbs of fire and shining eyes have left me looking like this:

I imagine at some point I want to blow my mutation removal potions, then my beneficial mutation potions, then try to win. However, is this that point? The above are annoying, but nothing that's a death sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Frail is somewhat high priority and while -4 Str/-2 Dex isn't backbreaking it's probably costing you multiple points of evasion and shielding so those combined justify purging. Unless you're seriously starved for mutation removal go ahead and clean them.

The rest of them are pretty irrelevant to a heavy armour fighty dude. Dropping slow regen would be a minor plus.

• Locked thread