Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Of loving course he did. It wouldn't be Brendan if he didn't pack his poo poo to go home at the first sign of trouble
https://twitter.com/fearnogod

He'll just latch into some new thing and go post in a friendly community to try to get validation as a good, smart, considerate person.

Well, haven't seen him on Mastodon yet, so there's that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
cymelion, man

please stop defending people who have made millions and trying to explain everything away as some huge conspiracy

no one cares that much

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hmm this isn't reddit

well the fuckin post stands gently caress it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hmmm yes who of us can really say how the dark art of patching really works

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I also set up a bot. I just gave it CIG grade subsumption AI and it basically went crazy trying to find dinner. It's currently off in r/CafeteriaFood trying to find an empty seat.

Of course, it being Subsumption grade AI, and r/CafeteriaFood being an unused Reddit, it is STILL trying to find an empty seat.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I love that they still find this "well most games have been in development for years before" argument convincing, in 2017.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I love that they still find this "well most games have been in development for years before" argument convincing, in 2017.

Well most games have a publisher that have enough knowledge to stop the developer from subcontracting a part of the game i.e. Star Marine, out to another company and then mismanaging that leading to the loss of all that time and money.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Never forget.

:911:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Never forget.

:911:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The real reason they are punting everything to spectrum is they are worried people's forum bans will start expiring before the game comes out.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

It's almost like CryEngine was the worst possible choice for the engine and should have been replaced years ago.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Exinos posted:

It's almost like CryEngine was the worst possible choice for the engine and should have been replaced years ago.

I bet that guy shouting "THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T USE CRYENGINE" during one of those 2014 or 2015 con videos feels justified as gently caress right about now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Exinos posted:

If the CryEngine dudes had not made the trailer for the game for free CR would be selling used cars right now, so it was the best possible choice.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

thatguy posted:

The only "cheat-proofing" Star Citizen will ever have is to hope that the game is so convoluted that botters and hackers don't even bother.

Or, like in real life, the code is so pants no one can figure it out to hack on it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I sort of felt sorry for him because he apparently had a tough childhood. He's got a lot of baggage he's carrying with him through life that seems to be heavily affecting him well into adulthood. I hope he finds peace some day.

I never wished badly on him or V. They just have some socialization issues that make mine like quantum small in size. They could be quite fun if they could get a handle on those and chill out a bit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

and chill out a bit.

Kind of difficult to chill for a dude whose whole shtick is to be hyper-serious about really important stuff everybody needs to pay attention to *or else*. Specially since it's not actually about the stuff but about him doing something about it (because he's great! and most other people are oval office-suckers), so if you ask him to chill he just goes further into indignant overdrive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

hmmm yes who of us can really say how the dark art of patching really works

Chris Roberts is late into work every day because he has to spend so much time inventing the wheels for his car.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKM-hZGf9ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRUXxSsLyUs

I don't understand this game's development.

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 10, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chalks posted:

Chris Roberts is late into work every day because he has to spend so much time inventing the wheels for his car.

FUD!

If that was true, he would be to work early because the wheels would be so much more BDWE, i.e. Best Dam Wheels Ever!

Take back your FUD!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Could someone what cryengine knowhow please explain what just happened? Lol.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all we can do is take CIG's word for it

or you know, get a refund

but no

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The spaceport sounds like an airport, why would someone do that?

Also do guns have any sound in space?

If yes, lol.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no_recall posted:

Also do guns have any sound in space?

If yes, lol.

fortunately meeting up with folks is so hard that nobody will be around to hear it

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

nesting physics grids dummy

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

alf_pogs posted:

all we can do is take CIG's word for it

or you know, get a refund

but no

I think you mean photoshop a refund.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

no_recall posted:

Could someone what cryengine knowhow please explain what just happened? Lol.

When you take an already lovely engine that basically no one competent was using, for a good reason, and hand it to a thumb in a rug that has not been involved in video game development for over a decade to build something impossible you get magic.

Not the good kind of magic, but magic.

Kind of like a monkeys paw that brings hilarious financial ruin to the backers and poisoned resumes to the developers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

When DLC is being sold for hundreds or thousands of dollars, you can bet your rear end within 5 minutes of "in game money that can buy ships" goes live, there will be 10,000 players logging in from China and tons of exploits going live, and the glorious Chris Roberts economy they spent 14 minutes figuring out goes immediately into the toilet.

CIGs response will be: If you notice somebody not responding who's doing a task, write down their name and email it to us.

Because you know they will have 0 safeguards, 0 validation, and 0 cheat and exploit protection and detection capabilities. They're basically struggling to get a thing to work without thinking of the future. If there even is a future where this happens. The ship sales for real money may be here to stay. Your game progression is as good as your real life job allows.

I think your posts are awesome, but, this one? Restating the obvious?

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I was curious about the state of the game and went to a twitch stream of wtfosaurus or something.

I asked if Derek Smart was also here and after 5 seconds or so was perm banned of this stream.

Who don't they like? Derek or me or the combination?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Orions Lord posted:

Who don't they like? Derek or me or the combination?

they dont like anything that reminds them of the awful state of the game, yet they have to manage that while looking at and indeed playing the game

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Happy page 911 someone post the Porsche (idc that it's prolly not a 914 post it again in a few pages)

O now I finally get a snipe, gently caress.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Foo Diddley posted:

Does anyone have a list of all the features that are supposed to be in 3.0, preferably one made by CIG? It will be amusing to compare and contrast it with 3.0's actual patch notes if 3.0 ever comes out

Magic search term is "CitizenCon Slideshow": http://imgur.com/gallery/MV2PM

3.0 (Jesus Patch)

Space Crabs posted:

I bet that guy shouting "THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T USE CRYENGINE" during one of those 2014 or 2015 con videos feels justified as gently caress right about now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE&t=313s I wanna be that guy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow, its like he's in a well and keeps digging. That reminds me of something.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
All they had to do was freelancer 2 goddammit

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

I think your posts are awesome, but, this one? Restating the obvious?

This post was sub contracted out. It was not properly seen by The Titanic before it was posted because she is working on the post 17* posts from now in England with the Imaginarium.

This post and the next 15 posts following it are just alpha posts. Post 17 is post 2.0, which we know you will like a lot because it will have everything you ever dreamed of and more.

Post 2.0 hype starts... NOW!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They only have a few networking dudes. Also they probably genuinely dont have any staff that know how to create a patcher.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

This post was sub contracted out. It was not properly seen by The Titanic before it was posted because she is working on the post 17* posts from now in England with the Imaginarium.

This post and the next 15 posts following it are just alpha posts. Post 17 is post 2.0, which we know you will like a lot because it will have everything you ever dreamed of and more.

Post 2.0 hype starts... NOW!

I don't really understand posting development, but I'm really excited to hear that the posting pipeline has been refactored and I can't wait to see what's in store for post 2.0 :woop: :homebrew: :woop:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

ewe2 posted:

Wow, its like he's in a well and keeps digging. That reminds me of something.

They haven't had serious arguments for a while now. It's all about "faith" and "we have to take CIG's word" now, because the alternative is Derek Smart was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Just want to confirm this posters friend really does work for the NSA because his office is next to mine. And we totally really do just dedicate time to search video game posts on their forum.

It's ok, friend. I got your back for all your friends in government agencies who do wacky stuff like this! :hfive:

:vince: