Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

god giveth (leak) and taketh away (clarke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

RIP John Clarke, you bloody genius.

Meanwhile Maurice Newman is a sack of poo poo in the Oz:

no im not going to post a url posted:

With the quality and variety of media so cheap and accessible these days, why do we need two public broadcasters costing almost $1.5 billion annually?

Why do we need even one?

Take SBS. Its establishment in 1975 is closely linked to the birth of multiculturalism in Australia. Today, it is the world’s most linguistically diverse media entity, with running costs of almost $400 million a year.

In their book, Racism, Ethnicity and the Media, Andrew Jakubowicz et al, write that, “the new broadcaster had ambitious goals — to reach an audience of huge cultural diversity. The development of ‘ethnic’ radio and ‘multicultural’ television was a byproduct of the shift away from the assimilation and integration models of Australian society.”

While immigrants were still encouraged to learn English quickly, in the 1970s it became obvious that broadcasting in community languages would assist communities to gain access to government ­services, and provide a “cultural bridge to their new homeland”.

This preference for “diversity” has contributed to the abridgement of free speech, identity ­politics, a divided society, growing intolerance and, diminished ­national pride.

After 40 years and the best ­efforts of SBS, we can conclude that shifting to multiculturalism from assimilation and integration was a mistake.

In any event, today’s technology has rendered the original SBS charter obsolete — a victim of digital disruption. Migrants can now stream content from their former homeland on demand and, in real time. Clearly $400m a year is not ­required to assist “communities” to gain access to government ­services.

Looking for relevance and ­audiences, SBS has gained a reputation for voyeuristic TV and, ­recently entered into partnership with Viceland, a “global youth brand”, “to bring some of the best available content from across the world, never before seen in ­Australia”. Programs such as Hate Thy Neighbour, Gay Conversion Therapy, Teen Exorcist, Gaycation, State of Undress and, Life After Food, are featured.

While SBS employs more than 1200 people in attractive working conditions replete with dog creche, it is not for taxpayers to support these jobs by paying for content that is accessible online and has little to do with the ­charter.

SBS resembles a government agency that, having outlived its ­intended purpose, is charting a course of its own, even advocating against government policy.

SBS has a disproportionately high 13 per cent of staff identifying as LGBTI. It is a partner in the ­Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. Its openly gay chief executive promotes marriage equality, permitting the company logo to be used in support. He refused to air an advertisement critical of same-sex-marriage.

The government watches this abuse of taxpayer privilege as it quietly considers merging SBS and National Indigenous TV with the ABC.

A merger could deliver significant operational efficiencies, cost reductions and capital returns. It should also mean that SBS advertising revenue, circa $65m, would become available to the struggling commercial networks.

Yet even this consolidated ­entity will struggle to find a public purpose. Management and government may redefine the charter, but a billion-dollar-plus annual budget will be hard to justify.

Britain has already conducted this exercise and developed a new charter for the BBC. It calls for something “distinctively different” from commercial alternatives. If the market can provide, then public service media is not required. But how to measure “distinctiveness” when free-to-air, subscription and, online broadcasters, are so ubiquitous?

A declining share of TV and radio audiences suggests that any distinctiveness the ABC may have had is losing its appeal. Younger demographics are mostly getting their news and entertainment from established social media feeds. Any public broadcasting behemoth seeking to be distinctive now, or in the future, will probably struggle in this increasingly fickle, demanding and, crowded cyberspace.

Working to the ABC’s advantage is the undue political attention it receives from Canberra. It is understood that Malcolm Turnbull personally intervened in the appointment of chief executive Michelle Guthrie, normally the prerogative of the board. This has led to complaints about the selection process. The Prime Minister also pushed for his friend Justin Milne to become the new chairman. This interference is unhealthy and reinforces the impression that the political class views the ABC as a state, rather than an independent, broadcaster.

Despite the protestations of Milne, who says there is no bias to fix, the group-think that pervades the ABC leans distinctly left. A university survey records 41 per cent of its journalists vote Green. There’s a lack of editorial curiosity or disposition to surprise. Routinely, it supports fashionable “progressive” causes, like Islam, refugees, climate change and indigenous issues. It predictably condemns Israel, the Catholic Church, Tony Abbott, Pauline Hanson and Donald Trump. Free speech, free markets and rational economics get short shrift. Management is ­focused on gender and ethnic ­diversity, but not thought. When the chairman says “roughly speaking 50 per cent of the audience will think (the ABC) is biased to the left ...”, you know there is no appetite for change.

The media, particularly the ABC and SBS, have played a ­significant role in easing the way for the left’s control of the economy’s commanding heights, those critical sectors that dominate economic activity — electricity generation, heavy manufacturing, mining, and transportation. Climate science has been shamelessly exploited to this end.

To the totalitarians, public broadcasters are valuable allies and they religiously court them through direct contact with producers, presenters and management and, via organisations like Friends of the ABC. They want government-sanctioned journalism, something the Gillard government tried to introduce through an Australian Human Rights Commission-type enforcer. Better luck next time there’s a Labor government.

The stark reality is that today’s case for taxpayer-funded media is thin and getting thinner. We can no longer dismiss the improvements to our freedoms, budgets and national debate, the break-up and sale of our public broadcasters would deliver us.

Maurice Newman was chairman of the ABC between 2007 and 2011.

Correction: pathetic sack of poo poo.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"Why do we need two public broadcasters costing almost $1.5 billion annually?" asks a newspaper that loses $30 million a year.

Also vale John Clarke =/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This is the loving worst. What a top bloke.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

An Idiot posted:

Looking for relevance and ­audiences, SBS has gained a reputation for voyeuristic TV and, ­recently entered into partnership with Viceland, a “global youth brand”, “to bring some of the best available content from across the world, never before seen in ­Australia”. Programs such as Hate Thy Neighbour, Gay Conversion Therapy, Teen Exorcist, Gaycation, State of Undress and, Life After Food, are featured.

Didn't the government force this on SBS by changing their charter?

EDIT: Or one of their stooges appointed to the board? I seem to remember that happening.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

What absolute pettiness these 'personalities' default to. I mean, as far as I'm concerned they can both die in a fire and I'll bring the marshmellows, but Ray Hadley throwing a public tanty isn't a good look. You'd think that he'd have some self-awareness.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Australia2017.jpg

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichaelPascoe01/status/851241481687805952
https://twitter.com/punksweat/status/851243409343774721

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

A merger could deliver significant operational efficiencies, cost reductions and capital returns. It should also mean that SBS advertising revenue, circa $65m, would become available to the struggling commercial networks.

:lol:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I made a thing for the scomo meltdown

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Clarke's last Meanjin column is terrific, a great read.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/ellehardytweets/status/851230393772654592

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
God drat it. Not Clarke....

I really want to find The Games and friggin iView doesn't have it on streaming

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

I made a thing for the scomo meltdown

Please change this to "now peter is my best friend" because he was talking about great Dutton is when he is on his show.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

bad

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Please change this to "now peter is my best friend" because he was talking about great Dutton is when he is on his show.

I think you're putting more care and thought into this than I did making it. But why not

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxuthink/status/850877173229473792

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

He doesn't have his name on his own shirt? How's he going to know who he is?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Just to show that humour isn't dead along with Clarke I present

Buzzfeed posted:

A report from Queensland Police says the man ordered and consumed a "substantial amount of seafood and alcohol" at the restaurant from around 4:45pm on Sunday afternoon. The Courier Mail lists the man's full degustation as two lobsters, baby octopus, 21 vodka oyster shots and "a number of Coronas".

When the man allegedly fled from the restaurant without paying he was chased on foot by staff before the man jumped into the ocean at Surfers Paradise's Main Beach.

The man allegedly refused to return to land, so police were forced to ask lifeguards to tow them out to the man on the back of jet skis.

"Police will allege they attempted to negotiate with the man to exit the water by himself, but he refused," says a statement from Queensland Police. "Police were then forced to enter the water and apprehend the man, bringing him back to shore without incident."

The man will appear in court on Monday morning facing charges of stealing and serious assault of a police officer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Should have send the border farce out and towed him to Jakarta

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The police commandeered and rode a jetski out to get him lmao.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Bogan King posted:

Just to show that humour isn't dead along with Clarke I present

Peter?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:argh:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Even Clarke didn't want to live in a world where turdball goes crawling up the arse of trump. :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Complainants cited health conditions including “sleep disturbance, headaches, earaches, ‘pounding’ in the ears, tinnitus, tachycardia, high blood pressure, sight impairment, diabetes, chest-tightening, nausea and general fatigue”, which they blamed on both audible and low-frequency noise, “including infrasound, emanating from turbines”."

"In February last year, Dyer said half the complaints his office had received pertained to windfarms that had yet to be built."

The windfarm that has yet to be built gave me diabetes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

"Complainants cited health conditions including “sleep disturbance, headaches, earaches, ‘pounding’ in the ears, tinnitus, tachycardia, high blood pressure, sight impairment, diabetes, chest-tightening, nausea and general fatigue”, which they blamed on both audible and low-frequency noise, “including infrasound, emanating from turbines”."

"In February last year, Dyer said half the complaints his office had received pertained to windfarms that had yet to be built."

The windfarm that has yet to be built gave me diabetes.

That's almost as bad as that town who complained about health problems from a mobile phone tower that was never connected or turned on.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

Haha gently caress off. The far field of a wind turbine is like 40dB, or in other words, the ambient noise of an empty room.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Weird that the best cure for wind farm related health problems has consistently proven to be money.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Is the concept of wind farm really that new and scary to concern people so much??

We should just make them move next to a coal power station.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MonoAus posted:

Is the concept of wind farm really that new and scary to concern people so much??

NIMBYs don't want anything near them other than chemists and coffee shops.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It's a really neat psychological thing honestly.

The next big one is PFOS, with some person up by Oakey complaining that it's causing a whole bunch of things which are probably psychogenic. The Dupont guys are still fine and they are the big canary-in-the-mine for us really, as soon as they croak then we can worry.

Also never mind that there's loving PFOS everywhere because its in a lot of non-stick/hydrophobic coatings, so I'm not completely convinced.

Thankfully that PFOS has a half-life of about 10 years or so, so the damage will be fairly short-lived (if at all).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MonoAus posted:

I like it when farmers complain about wind farms on tv and you can see their windmill in the background thats been going for 50 years.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods please change my name to Wind Farm Induced Diabetes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Should just be a knob between the headphones

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/851267596968054784

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/braddybb/status/851274140031926272

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This man has just gone from moron to mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

This man has just gone from moron to mastermind.

Some of his songs in replies if you're keen.

• Locked thread