Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Geforce Gtx Titan Ti Ultra XP2 Black This Is The Last Video Card You Will Ever Need Edition.

(Superceded in 6 months. Just has "lol" printed on fan shroud)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Geforce Gtx Titan Ti Ultra XP2 Black This Is The Last Video Card You Will Ever Need Edition.

(Superceded in 6 months. Just has "lol" printed on fan shroud)

Except they don't even change the shroud.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was looking into the EVGA CLC for video cards for when I eventually get my Step Up for a 1080Ti FE, it seems like there are 2 versions. One is inexplicably more expensive by about $40. Does anyone know if the cheaper version will work with the 1080Ti?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was looking into the EVGA CLC for video cards for when I eventually get my Step Up for a 1080Ti FE, it seems like there are 2 versions. One is inexplicably more expensive by about $40. Does anyone know if the cheaper version will work with the 1080Ti?

EVGA has three hybrid kits currently available.

400-HY-5188-B1 is for the 1070/1080 reference PCB.
400-HY-5288-B1 is for EVGA's custom 1070/1080 PCB (FTW and FTW DT models)
400-HY-5388-B1 is for the Titan "XP" PCB, which is also the reference 1080ti and presumably remains unchanged with the new Titan Xp.

The last one's the one you need, and it is the more expensive one.

EVGA lists their exact model numbers for compatibility if you'd like to verify.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 9, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
For anybody who owns an NVIDIA card and are planning to get the Windows 10 Creators Update in two days, I would HIGHLY suggest you do not install the 381.65 drivers, especially if you have a laptop. Myself and many others are finding that the 381.65 drivers in the latest Windows 10 update causes BSOD boot loops. You have to system restore yourself back to an older version of the driver. Apparently 381.65 breaks a bunch of things.

Make sure you are on an earlier version before you update and make sure you make a new system restore point before attempting newer drivers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm running the creators update, still using the (older) nvidia driver I had before. I won't update them, thanks for the update.

I really hope Vega is good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Nalin posted:

For anybody who owns an NVIDIA card and are planning to get the Windows 10 Creators Update in two days, I would HIGHLY suggest you do not install the 381.65 drivers, especially if you have a laptop. Myself and many others are finding that the 381.65 drivers in the latest Windows 10 update causes BSOD boot loops. You have to system restore yourself back to an older version of the driver. Apparently 381.65 breaks a bunch of things.

Make sure you are on an earlier version before you update and make sure you make a new system restore point before attempting newer drivers.

weird times when amd is good on drivers and nvidia is trash.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

wargames posted:

I wouldn't say AMD drivers are good even if they're not occasionally problematic, in the sense that they never get the most performance out of their cards early on. Some call "fine wine" a feature, but really its a disservice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wargames posted:

I don't think either are trash, well, this bootloop thing is lovely.

I think AMD's drivers have been as good, if not better for stability for years now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 10, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I wouldn't say AMD drivers are good even if they're not occasionally problematic, in the sense that they never get the most performance out of their cards early on. Some call "fine wine" a feature, but really its a disservice.

Part of the reason they age well is that a few years down the line their architecture looks a lot more like the AMD cards that got optimized for than contemporary NV cards. Honestly with pascal I don't think that's necessarily going to be a thing for Maxwell vs. its contemporary cards.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

HalloKitty posted:

A nice juicy pair in SLI

3 way SLI for your Total Recall build

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

Manufacturers getting more performance out of their hardware over time is a disservice.

I don't get goons sometimes

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Manufacturers getting more performance out of their hardware over time is a disservice.

Not getting the performance out sooner is the disservice. AMD has to price their cards relative to the performance at launch, and generally doesn't increase their prices over time as the drivers get better. Also, reviewers for the most part only review performance at launch, so the improvements over time aren't that visible beyond on tech/hardware forums. Some Youtube channels are getting better about re-running their benchmark suites whenever they test new things, but it generally isn't the case with tech websites.

If you changed the industry, say to cars, you wouldn't think of getting more performance later on as a good thing. In fact, it would probably slow down the rate in which customers bought their next card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No you see because you do the initial cost: performance calculations

And then over time it exceeds your expectations

And um

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Next thing you'll be telling me is that console developers can get more from the system later on than they can at launch! :bahgawd:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

Next thing you'll be telling me is that console developers can get more from the system later on than they can at launch! :bahgawd:

Developers are doing us a disservice.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

No, releasing cards with what were apparently terrible drivers then fixing them over years is kind of though yes. You know why that has never happened with comparable nvidia cards. Then the hilarious notion that "AMD cards age better " arises when that really refers to one thing : Hawaii was released with poo poo drivers

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

My main issue with AMD drivers recently is that they hosed up OpenCL rendering in Blender several months ago and now I have to use CPU rendering which takes a little longer. I could roll my drivers back, but the last driver I know that works has serious issues with GTA 5.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Regrettable posted:

My main issue with AMD drivers recently is that they hosed up OpenCL rendering in Blender several months ago and now I have to use CPU rendering which takes a little longer. I could roll my drivers back, but the last driver I know that works has serious issues with GTA 5.

priorities.png right here. =P

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

priorities.png right here. =P

Eh, they're both just hobbies but it would be nice if I didn't have to switch back and forth between drivers to get the most out of each of them. I'd prefer to use 3DSMax but the license for that is absurdly expensive for people doing non-professional work.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

1gnoirents posted:

No, releasing cards with what were apparently terrible drivers then fixing them over years is kind of though yes. You know why that has never happened with comparable nvidia cards. Then the hilarious notion that "AMD cards age better " arises when that really refers to one thing : Hawaii was released with poo poo drivers

Also the notion that AMD ages better is also often due to AMD cards having more Vram then comparable NVidia cards. In which case they can.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Also the notion that AMD ages better is also often due to AMD cards having more Vram then comparable NVidia cards. In which case they can.

Yes provided the GPU core can handle it, again with the 290 which could. In the time when 2gb was just fine they all had 4gb even though it had no great purpose outside of +12% in 4k (at 15 fps) but eventually when they unshit the drivers and suddenly 4gb became much more relevant.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

Card does x performance up front. Card later does x+ performance. This is problematic because...

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Card does x performance up front. Card later does x+ performance. This is problematic because...

Wow, my Golf's emissions are lower than ever! Thanks for the free upgrade, Volkswagen :cool:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Is because it should perform as well as it could when they sell it to you. Continued driver perfomance tweaks are expected and good business practice. However selling a card then fixing its broken rear end drivers over the course of years is not in that category.

Dont get me wrong, they did what they should have which is great . However the whole idea of "but amd cards AGE better" is not a selling point lol

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

If the card is competitive at its price point on release, why does it matter? It would be one thing if a card was way slower than comparably priced Nvidia cards and people were going "yeah, but just you wait!" but that isn't what's happening.*

*This may have been what happened with the 290, I wasn't really paying attention to GPUs at the time.

Theris fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1gnoirents posted:

Is because it should perform as well as it could when they sell it to you. Continued driver perfomance tweaks are expected and good business practice. However selling a card then fixing its broken rear end drivers over the course of years is not in that category.

Dont get me wrong, they did what they should have which is great . However the whole idea of "but amd cards AGE better" is not a selling point lol

The problem is that you're essentially assigning blame to AMD as if, in part, they're intentionally doing this. AMD probably has half the driver development resources of AMD if they're lucky, and I bet it's a lot less than that. nVidia's drivers also sometimes have issues (see earlier posts on this page), and also see optimizations over time due to resources freeing up. It's simply less drastic typically because they had the resources to devote in the first place.

Let's not take it personally when it shouldn't be. And drivers getting better over time as bugs get worked out/efficiencies realized should be appreciated, regardless of whether it comes on Day 1 or Day 365. The only people who really give a poo poo are those who buy in early on every major release, but that's just the drawback to wanting/being able to do that. (see: first generation Apple Tax).

And this "it should be at 100% performance on Day 1!" mindset is nonsense. Do you hold console developers to the same standard? Because literally it's the same drat situation: developers learn the hardware better over time, and figure out how to adjust to ring out as much performance as they can. The only major difference is that it's even more impressive how much performance console developers get out of a system in the several years they get to work on it, whereas GPU generations move fast enough that often driver development resources have to shift to the new platform and thus what resources were available to further optimize the drivers for an existing platform significantly decline after only a couple of years if lucky.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 10, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Am I correct in thinking that nvidia and intel don't implement HDMI ARC stuff for soundbars and stuff? I could use optical for my pc and turn to ARC for my TV, but then I'd have to get an HDMI multiplexer since my TV only has 3 ports :(

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

FallenGod posted:

Wow, my Golf's emissions are lower than ever! Thanks for the free upgrade, Volkswagen :cool:

this is a no good very bad dumb loving post

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just want to point out that not everybody is running into the bootloop issues with the NVIDIA 381.65 drivers, but because many people ARE, it would be in your best interest to protect yourself JUST IN CASE.

So just to be prepared, make sure you are on the 378.92 or earlier drivers BEFORE you attempt the upgrade (these drivers work for me). After you upgrade Windows 10, create a new system restore point. Then attempt the 381.65 drivers. Make sure you reboot after installing them as it is a bootloop problem. They will work until you reboot. If they fail for you, Windows will attempt to boot and crash a couple times, then it will bring you to a repair screen. Under the advanced boot options will be a choice to rollback to a system restore point.

That will be the best order to do things to avoid any potential issues.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Also do a clean install (either the option in the custom installer or DDU) and generally avoid using Fast Boot.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

The alternative is providing cards for roughly the same price/performance and they don't get better with age.

The 580 releases and gives 100fps for 250 USD. A year from release it does 120fps. This is our current trend and what is apparently problematic for the consumer.

The 580 releases and gives 120fps for 300 USD. A year from release it does 120fps. This is what you call a good business practice.

Scenario B isn't better for the consumer, it's marginally worse if there's a real difference at all. AMD isn't magically holding back to generate sales somehow, nor is "this card will age better" a negative.

And if you want to talk about broke drivers and performance, Maxwell's dx12 would probably interest you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The alternative is providing cards for roughly the same price/performance and they don't get better with age.

The 580 releases and gives 100fps for 250 USD. A year from release it does 120fps. This is our current trend and what is apparently problematic for the consumer.

The 580 releases and gives 120fps for 300 USD. A year from release it does 120fps. This is what you call a good business practice.

Scenario B isn't better for the consumer, it's marginally worse if there's a real difference at all. AMD isn't magically holding back to generate sales somehow, nor is "this card will age better" a negative.

And if you want to talk about broke drivers and performance, Maxwell's dx12 would probably interest you.

Well, by not optimizing their drivers early on, they are throwing away market share and revenue. Which, if you think about it, is really bad for consumers because its actually decreasing competition. I mean, I guess it really depends on how you look at the issue, I'm just saying that you can't really go around making statements like "oh NVIDIA has poo poo drivers now and AMD drivers are golden" when you don't put the AMD ones under the microscope. Nvidia may occasionally put out unstable drivers, but AMD continually puts out underperforming drivers. I mean, why is it that AMD habitually doesn't squeeze the majority of the performance at launch? Believe me, we all know it's not part of a marketing ploy, they aren't in a position to pull that kind of move.

Both companies are never 100% on point, the RX480/470s had all kinds of firmware issues and were pulling too much power from the PCI-E ports causing systems to crash and such.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The 480 power draw thing was a fiasco, and they got absolutely lampooned over it. I hope people stop fellating nVidia drivers for a little while if their machines can't boot.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 10, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Why is $50 magically being added to the price by having good drivers at release? I'd rather have a card that performs well at release than a card held back by bad software. Also if a card looks like it has bad performance but will get better later on that is actually terrible for consumers because it becomes much harder to make an informed decision on what to buy, sure people who bought a R9 290 got a good deal, but what about the people who bought a GTX 770? They got screwed, and not by Nvidia, but by the inability to make a good purchasing decision caused by AMD's awful DX11 drivers. Trying to turn bad drivers into a selling point is silly fanboyism.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why is $50 magically being added to the price by having good drivers at release?

Why do manufacturers charge more for more capable hardware? Having better launch day performance/a flatter performance over lifetime graph doesn't mean GPU horsepower is going to be cheaper. It means they'll sell the card for more. They'll slot in a 570 that does 100fps into that now vacant 250 USD slot.

Prices reflect performance, which is why products are differentiated and launched at different prices.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why is $50 magically being added to the price by having good drivers at release?

just loving lol if you think amd won't skin you for however many dollars they think they can if they "magically" deliver more fps.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Why do manufacturers charge more for more capable hardware? Having better launch day performance/a flatter performance over lifetime graph doesn't mean GPU horsepower is going to be cheaper. It means they'll sell the card for more. They'll slot in a 570 that does 100fps into that now vacant 250 USD slot.

Prices reflect performance, which is why products are differentiated and launched at different prices.

Well, they could either charge more for better performance or purposely keep the price a bit lower to capture more market share. But this is all theoretical, because what they are doing currently is neither.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SourKraut posted:

The problem is that you're essentially assigning blame to AMD as if, in part, they're intentionally doing this. AMD probably has half the driver development resources of AMD if they're lucky, and I bet it's a lot less than that. nVidia's drivers also sometimes have issues (see earlier posts on this page), and also see optimizations over time due to resources freeing up. It's simply less drastic typically because they had the resources to devote in the first place.

Let's not take it personally when it shouldn't be. And drivers getting better over time as bugs get worked out/efficiencies realized should be appreciated, regardless of whether it comes on Day 1 or Day 365. The only people who really give a poo poo are those who buy in early on every major release, but that's just the drawback to wanting/being able to do that. (see: first generation Apple Tax).

And this "it should be at 100% performance on Day 1!" mindset is nonsense. Do you hold console developers to the same standard? Because literally it's the same drat situation: developers learn the hardware better over time, and figure out how to adjust to ring out as much performance as they can. The only major difference is that it's even more impressive how much performance console developers get out of a system in the several years they get to work on it, whereas GPU generations move fast enough that often driver development resources have to shift to the new platform and thus what resources were available to further optimize the drivers for an existing platform significantly decline after only a couple of years if lucky.

I'm definitely assigning blame to those who perpetuate the "amds age better so ... thats in the pros column" . In fact I believe AMD has done a good job with their driver revamp. But there in lies the "problem", if they do a good job (as they have been) with drivers from the get go (like you'd hope) then they will no longer "age better" than the competition. You expect efficiency updates and bugs and game specific optimizations from both sides and from what I can tell you do get that from both sides. That's really not whats grinding my panties though, but I guess it doesnt really matter since it'll just shake out in the end. No your 480 is not going to "refine" like the 290 did, to: whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why is $50 magically being added to the price by having good drivers at release? I'd rather have a card that performs well at release than a card held back by bad software. Also if a card looks like it has bad performance but will get better later on that is actually terrible for consumers because it becomes much harder to make an informed decision on what to buy, sure people who bought a R9 290 got a good deal, but what about the people who bought a GTX 770? They got screwed, and not by Nvidia, but by the inability to make a good purchasing decision caused by AMD's awful DX11 drivers. Trying to turn bad drivers into a selling point is silly fanboyism.

I have a GTX770 from 2013, how did I get screwed? Not being pedantic, seriously asking. Is it that AMD's card was actually better but the lovely drivers at the time made it look like it wasn't?