Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slothrop posted:

The world got a little less funny today. We're out of time, Goodnight.

https://youtu.be/8-QNAwUdHUQ

Bummer. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

The world got a little less funny today. We're out of time, Goodnight.

https://youtu.be/8-QNAwUdHUQ

Genuine loss. John Clarke was truly exceptional - Clarke and Dawes is brilliant political satire.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Wrestling Icon Rick Flair was in town for an event tonight and he was just ejected from a local outdoor bar for being a drunken rear end in a top hat and slapping girl's asses.

Sounds like a nigh-terminal case of being Rick Flair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Sounds like a nigh-terminal case of being Rick Flair.

The new sites are saying he just insulted a bartender but there's plenty of witnesses who are chiming in on FB saying he slapped a girl's rear end.

Also I just wrapped my first weight workout and I feel great! And we found some amazing low calorie veggie tortilla's today which makes my carb dropping even easier.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Genuine loss. John Clarke was truly exceptional - Clarke and Dawes is brilliant political satire.

My favourite thing is showing it to Americans and them taking it seriously
:rip:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Also I just wrapped my first weight workout and I feel great! And we found some amazing low calorie veggie tortilla's today which makes my carb dropping even easier.

Veggie as in gluten free?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Veggie as in gluten free?

There's gluten in wheat right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everything yummy and delicious has gluten

My coworker gave me a gluten free pretzel and I had to run for the bathroom to puke

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On this week's episode of "what else will break on the Saturd", I present...

:argh:

A brand new OEM switch is $6 on Amazon... but an add-on item. $8 at Advance Auto and special order, or $5 at Advance (and in stock) for aftermarket. Could be worse.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My redline is maybe worth 2500 and at this point I think I'm just going to give it away for the tax write off instead of trying to sell it to some 20 year old

I can only imagine this thought crossed the PO's mind as he was selling it to me

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

I still maintain you'll never stand up straighter than the day after you deadlift

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

My redline is maybe worth 2500 and at this point I think I'm just going to give it away for the tax write off instead of trying to sell it to some 20 year old

I can only imagine this thought crossed the PO's mind as he was selling it to me

If you're gonna give it away, I could use a bit of supercharger in my life. :getin:

(also I'm closer to 200k than 100k on my Ionry... poo poo's starting to fall apart in typical GM fashion)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I still maintain you'll never stand up straighter than the day after you deadlift

I'm a long way off from that my friend. But we'll get there/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There's gluten in wheat right?

Lol you can get those anywhere, they are veggie flavored flour tortillas.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Xtreme wellness! If you want to cut out some carbs just cut out some carbs.

For example: instead of making a burrito today, I have taco meat in a bowl. Thumbs up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah well for me its about gluten, not carbs, I can eat all the carbs I want as long as there's no gluten in it.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot of carbs without gluten :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh I knew your body was broken already I was talking to Rhyno.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, I have a job offer and I don't know if I want to take it.

I've been kinda unhappy at work lately. They laid people off recently, morale is low and we're all overworked. That being said, the work itself is enjoyable and I like the people I work with.

Pros of taking new position:
I'd make 13% more per year (77k to 87k)
They're better organized and are ISO (which they're not at my current company)

Cons of taking new position:
It's further away (50 miles one way vs 25, about 50 minutes to get to work vs 30 now)
Lose any 'seniority' I might have - I'm a shoe-in for a management position if I want one here, but I don't know if I'd want one here - there isn't much organization.

Still... it's a decent chunk of money. I'm legitimately torn right now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm a long way off from that my friend. But we'll get there/

You're only a long way off if you're mobility is severely impaired, otherwise you're just throwing excuses out. Lift a thing yesterday.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CornHolio posted:

Man, I have a job offer and I don't know if I want to take it.

I've been kinda unhappy at work lately. They laid people off recently, morale is low and we're all overworked. That being said, the work itself is enjoyable and I like the people I work with.

It's further away (50 miles one way vs 25, about 50 minutes to get to work vs 30 now)
Lose any 'seniority' I might have - I'm a shoe-in for a management position if I want one here, but I don't know if I'd want one here - there isn't much organization.

If you don't think there is any upward movement in your current job for any reason then trying something new might be worth it. However check the commute route for traffic and what not so you are not stung with a 50 minute commute being 1:30 commute during rush hour.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're only a long way off if you're mobility is severely impaired, otherwise you're just throwing excuses out. Lift a thing yesterday.

I lifted last night and it wasn't anything special dude

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cage posted:

Xtreme wellness! If you want to cut out some carbs just cut out some carbs.

For example: instead of making a burrito today, I have taco meat in a bowl. Thumbs up.

Lettuce wraps are actually the poo poo, too, if you're avoiding carbs. Try a type of lettuce other than your standard iceberg.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Regular tortillas have like 200 calories each, these are a pretty good alternative.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Lettuce wraps are actually the poo poo, too, if you're avoiding carbs. Try a type of lettuce other than your standard iceberg.
Romaine leaves are conveniently shaped like canoes, great for holding things. Chop up and fry some chicken thighs, shred some carrots, blammo.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

scuz posted:

Romaine leaves are conveniently shaped like canoes, great for holding things. Chop up and fry some chicken thighs, shred and marinate some carrots, blammo.

Fixed.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:hfive: Quick-pickle some radishes while you're at it.

...aaaaand I'm hungry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

50 minute commute is a big deal for me at least, but you might be different.

How 'empowered' would you be in a management position if you were elevated to one in your current company? I would assume the worst and that you'd be put into some kind of poo poo-rolls-downhill all-responsibility-no-direction role which would be usable as a resume booster at most.

Especially if you've recently had layoffs, they're probably running fairly lean.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You'll spend 1hr40m a day commuting, as opposed to 1hr currently.

Assuming a 40hr work week, that's 48hrs20m out your life a week rather than 45. So your actual increase per hour is only 5%.

That may or may not matter to you, but it's why I would need a very serious offer to move from my current, very convenient, workplace.

Also, if you like your current place, can do your job "easily", and get on with people there, maybe it's better to consider how you want to move up where you are. Perhaps put in a proposal to institute an ISO regime? What do you mean by that, anyway? 9001?

Chasing money isn't always the best option, I've come to regard the metric to use as the money-to-hassle ratio.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I lifted last night and it wasn't anything special dude

It's not supposed to be some glorious otherworldly experience and there's no fanfare from a crowd of busty ladies at the end but if you're at the very least not feeling the effects then you're not lifting.

scuz posted:

Romaine leaves are conveniently shaped like canoes, great for holding things. Chop up and fry some chicken thighs, shred some carrots, blammo.

Thai Mian Kham/lettuce wraps. Smash all the ingredients into a fairly tasteless and entirely nutritionally void leaf and enjoy... Bread is shite. Leaf food is the way.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Commuting sucks and I was about ready to go back to retail when I was driving 1.5hrs/36mi one way from October thru March

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's not supposed to be some glorious otherworldly experience and there's no fanfare from a crowd of busty ladies at the end but if you're at the very least not feeling the effects then you're not lifting.

Thai Mian Kham/lettuce wraps. Smash all the ingredients into a fairly tasteless and entirely nutritionally void leaf and enjoy... Bread is shite. Leaf food is the way.

I got the same sensation as the first night I ran for more than an hour.

Overall I'm not pleased with my workout last night. I followed a basic workout using th Fitness Buddy app and it just seemed overly complicated. I need to sort out a workout that I can do in 30 minutes after my 45-60 minute run on the elliptical.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Overall I'm not pleased with my workout last night. I followed a basic workout using th Fitness Buddy app and it just seemed overly complicated. I need to sort out a workout that I can do in 30 minutes after my 45-60 minute run on the elliptical.
3x5 deadlifts
3x5 overhead press
3x5 squats

That usually takes me about 30 min as long as I'm not fiddle-fartin' around.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

50 minute commute is a big deal for me at least, but you might be different.

How 'empowered' would you be in a management position if you were elevated to one in your current company? I would assume the worst and that you'd be put into some kind of poo poo-rolls-downhill all-responsibility-no-direction role which would be usable as a resume booster at most.

Especially if you've recently had layoffs, they're probably running fairly lean.

This is exactly what management is here. I'd like to think that if I made it into management, that I'd be able to implement some positive changes, but more than likely I'd be stuck doing what they're doing now, which is completely reactionary and barely maintaining what we have.

InitialDave posted:

You'll spend 1hr40m a day commuting, as opposed to 1hr currently.

Assuming a 40hr work week, that's 48hrs20m out your life a week rather than 45. So your actual increase per hour is only 5%.

That may or may not matter to you, but it's why I would need a very serious offer to move from my current, very convenient, workplace.

Also, if you like your current place, can do your job "easily", and get on with people there, maybe it's better to consider how you want to move up where you are. Perhaps put in a proposal to institute an ISO regime? What do you mean by that, anyway? 9001?

Chasing money isn't always the best option, I've come to regard the metric to use as the money-to-hassle ratio.

Man, that's pretty enlightening. Thanks for that.

I really don't want to change jobs, I'm just having a hard time determining if that's out of some misplaced company loyalty or if I'm afraid to step out of my comfort zone, or if I really think I should stay and it's in my best interest long-term to stick with it.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

3x5 deadlifts
3x5 overhead press
3x5 squats

That usually takes me about 30 min as long as I'm not fiddle-fartin' around.

I'll give this a whirl tonight, thanks dude. The app has me doing all kinds of specialized body variations and I'm like "do I really need to do calf and shoulder shrugs?"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

job dilemma
Anecdote tiiiiiiiiime!

My last manager was a great dude. He'd started at the company ~10 years ago doing networking, which he loved. Then, his manger left the company and he was concerned about his replacement and how awful that person would be, so he decided to become the manager of the department. He hated virtually every minute of it because he, like your management, was all-responsibility-no-direction. He was let go a couple weeks back for ~reasons~, but we've all stayed in touch with him and he's a happy camper. "I never would have left on my own," he told us. "But I hated it there and I had to go."

scuz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 10, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

fitness blender on youtube has a pretty good selection of videos for different workouts

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'll give this a whirl tonight, thanks dude. The app has me doing all kinds of specialized body variations and I'm like "do I really need to do calf and shoulder shrugs?"

The 'big 5' covers your main compound movements which hits the whole body. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and rows. Fill in with accessory work (your bicep curls, shrugs and other poo poo) as and when you feel.

Getting started and keeping to it is the hard bit.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Shrugs are cool but if you're starting out (which it sounds like you are) then there's 100% no reason to do them. Get your basics down first and worry about "oh no, if only I could shrug a zillion pounds, my goals would be met" later. Here's some videos on how to do these lifts correctly: squats, overhead press, deadlift.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Reading through your post, it sounds like you want to leave.

Is your current company not doing well? What's the reason for the layoffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Shrugs are cool but if you're starting out (which it sounds like you are) then there's 100% no reason to do them. Get your basics down first and worry about "oh no, if only I could shrug a zillion pounds, my goals would be met" later. Here's some videos on how to do these lifts correctly: squats, overhead press, deadlift.

I don't have a mustache, can I still do these exercises?

• Locked thread